Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

Bought blutooth headphones. I leave them to charge overnight in the case. They are 1/4 bars charged. After 1-2 hours they are dead. Back to charging them. Should they not work more than 1-2 hours? And charging overnight should make them fully charged.

Like I said I hate blutooth headphones. 

I paid $20 they were on sale. 

https://www.target.com/p/true-bluetooth-wireless-earbuds-heyday/-/A-80786115?preselect=79337268#lnk=sametab

regular price is $50. For $50 I expect better quality.

3C0CD036-CFEC-419A-96C3-67AC1EE50933.jpeg

Did you check if the charger was plugged in properly?  Did you try another outlet?

59 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Did you check if the charger was plugged in properly?  Did you try another outlet?

When I plug it in it shows it’s charging. There are 4 dots and it doesn’t go beyond 2. Even overnight. After 2 hours  of charging. I listened to 2 songs and earbuds died. I will try another cord/charger for overnight charging. But I think the earbuds are trash. 

Edited by oliviabenson
  • Sad 4
11 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

Bought blutooth headphones. I leave them to charge overnight in the case. They are 1/4 bars charged. After 1-2 hours they are dead. Back to charging them. Should they not work more than 1-2 hours? And charging overnight should make them fully charged.

Like I said I hate blutooth headphones. 

I paid $20 they were on sale. 

https://www.target.com/p/true-bluetooth-wireless-earbuds-heyday/-/A-80786115?preselect=79337268#lnk=sametab

regular price is $50. For $50 I expect better quality.

3C0CD036-CFEC-419A-96C3-67AC1EE50933.jpeg

4 hours ago, roseha said:

@oliviabenson can you return those headphones?  I've never used the bluetooth kind but it sounds like they are defective.

Agreed. @oliviabenson return them. That rating is atrocious, too, with many complaining about the battery life and charging. I did a quick Google, so you don't have to, and that entire brand has crap ratings. Get something better. A quick search of the Target site shows another brand at the half the price with over 4800 reviews and 4.5 stars.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I also got bluetooth headphones and paired them to my phone...I think. I don't know, I'll check before my upcoming trip. Because I am unable to read maps, and sometimes confuse left and right, I'm looking for an android app that can give walking directions, by voice, offline. Has anyone tried HereWeGo?

Shokz is a good brand of bluetooth thingys. The hubster talks nonstop from the time he gets up until he goes to bed and has no issues with charging. Big price differences depending on where you buy. I got his for $125 and he has had them since spring 2022. They go around your head and around your ear but not in your ear.

• Useful 1
On 11/30/2023 at 7:26 PM, oliviabenson said:

I threw out the receipt

If you think there's a snowball's chance in Hades that you just got a bad pair and the same brand might be okay with a different pair:
Buy the same exact same earbuds again from Target. 
Return the non-functioning earbuds with the new receipt.

It's worth a try, even if you do wind up having to eventually spend $100-$200 for ones that really work.

I am just now learning as a senior person that spending more money on high quality items saves money over time.
But if you can't afford them, sometimes you buy cheap, if you can't wait.

• Like 4
6 hours ago, ABay said:

I also got bluetooth headphones and paired them to my phone...I think. I don't know, I'll check before my upcoming trip. Because I am unable to read maps, and sometimes confuse left and right, I'm looking for an android app that can give walking directions, by voice, offline. Has anyone tried HereWeGo?

Google maps lets you choose walking directions in addition to driving directions. 

I have Power Beats Bluetooth headphones. They work well.  They’re essential for me. I must use them for work calls and all calls. I really can’t hold a phone up to my ear for long periods, and I have to have hands free for using the computer. 

• Useful 4
7 hours ago, ABay said:

I'm looking for an android app that can give walking directions, by voice, offline.

Google maps. You can download the directions ahead of time to listen to offline.

On 11/30/2023 at 4:26 PM, oliviabenson said:

I threw out the receipt so no. I didn’t think they would last 2-3 weeks. They are definitely garbage.

I'm going on a limb that you also paid cash and did not use your Target Cartwheel, otherwise Target can look up your purchase via the card you used to pay with, or via your Cartwheel account.

You're in luck though! Target will allow you to return an item without a receipt, as long as you have your ID. You'll receive store credit.

If you don't have the box (regardless of payment method), just show them the product on the website or app and they can find it.

You're good to go return these and buy something better.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Like 5
  • Useful 1

I got me my Christmas/New Year’s manicure today! See? 
Whaat? It’s part of getting into the season even though my tree is up and my lights are pathetic compared to the awesomeness of some of my neighbors’s lights. We live in a high rise so I don’t know HOW they get their lights to twinkle and blink when I can SEE they are OUTSIDE on the balcony!

IMG_2103.jpeg.a85a4e4c49e632d0b09455a603f3d9dd.jpeg

Huh. The sparkly isn’t showing up, but it’s there!😁

• Like 10
  • Love 3
On 12/2/2023 at 9:13 AM, shapeshifter said:

If you think there's a snowball's chance in Hades that you just got a bad pair and the same brand might be okay with a different pair:
Buy the same exact same earbuds again from Target. 
Return the non-functioning earbuds with the new receipt.

It's worth a try, even if you do wind up having to eventually spend $100-$200 for ones that really work.

I am just now learning as a senior person that spending more money on high quality items saves money over time.
But if you can't afford them, sometimes you buy cheap, if you can't wait.

Even if you don't have the receipt, if you can be bothered you can try returning them at Target.  One of the reasons I pay for almost everything by credit card is because it makes returns easy at many places.  And at somewhere like Target (unless you go just after Thanksgiving or any time around Christmas), if they sell the item you should at least be able to get a store credit (for the last posted price) if the item is in good condition and in origianal packaging. That's how it works by me at least.  It helps to be pleasant to the sales staff - I save my "oh so superior" side (thank you A Fish Called Wanda) for incompetence and sullenness.

• Like 1

10,000 Krispy Kreme doughnuts on the lamb lam
 image.thumb.jpeg.f75f4fb066dc155977213f9cfbf77c4a.jpeg

Free gift link to this NY Times tongue-in-donut-hole-cheek article

Regular link to article: nytimes.com/2023/12/01/world/australia/krispy-kreme-doughnuts-stolen.html

…Reader, please select your own corny first line for this article:

1. Talk about a sticky-fingered thief!
  2. It’s a crime you just can’t sugar coat.
  3. I’ve heard of stealing some dough, but this is ridiculous.

…Reader, please select your own corny final sentence for this article:

1. If an arrest is made, it is expected to be followed by sweet justice leavened with mercy.
  2. Perhaps the police will be hunting for someone with a glazed expression.
  3. And that’s the hole truth.…

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/01/world/australia/krispy-kreme-doughnuts-stolen.html?unlocked_article_code=1.DU0.hhAT.zl7yJOeriykk&smid=url-share

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last year, I bought some ear pods that plug into your phone, but are also bluetooth. they kept saying the needed to connect to bluetooth, in order to work at all, then would randomly stop working after a few minutes. It was two pairs of them, about $12 from amazon. I finally found my old ones that still work, and aren't bluetooth. 

One pair of noise-cancelling headphones I have, that I use on my computer, are four years old, and I had a high-pitched noise in one side on Saturday, but they seem to be okay now. 

• Like 1

Well...I took my phone to Best Buy (Geek Squad) for help. Most apps were restored but this forum is still acting up (flashing ads). The only app not affected at all during this weirdness was the Washington Post. Anyone else having issues with the ads here?

Ah .. hello.  I’ve been bitching for months about the pop up ads and other annoyances on my I pad  and everyone was probably disgusted.  I finally took @oliviabenson advice and installed DuckDuckGo and an ABP Ad blocker.  Absolutely no pop ups or any interferences since installing them.   I was losing my posts every minute and couldn’t find them.  The two blockers helped 100 per cent.  Haven’t see any ads since.

I also went to Best Buy Geek squad for other things on the I pad.  No appt, but the nice guy took me right away and fixed things, no charge.  

• Like 1
  • Applause 4
  • Useful 1

Every year the Christmas Gift thing changes by my daughters.  This year, they said gifts fir the kids only, as we all don’t need anything anymore, plus it’s stressful on what to buy.  I still want to buy a dual gift for the daughters and husbands.  One gift for both.  What’s good?  I usually bake cookies, but I want to get something else too.  No gift card.  What would they both enjoy?

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Every year the Christmas Gift thing changes by my daughters.  This year, they said gifts fir the kids only, as we all don’t need anything anymore, plus it’s stressful on what to buy.  I still want to buy a dual gift for the daughters and husbands.  One gift for both.  What’s good?  I usually bake cookies, but I want to get something else too.  No gift card.  What would they both enjoy?

You can respect their request for no more stuff by gifting either cash or food.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
29 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

I'd say honor their request just to do gifts for the kids.  Right now, they feel relieved they don't have to come up with something to get you, and if you turn around and give them something anyway, you may make them feel either guilty or annoyed.  Stick with the cookies.

• Like 13
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

The young man at Best Buy's Geek Squad worked on my phone and restored it to normalcy. One thing I'll never do again is download anything to my phone. So, my one year plan there paid off yesterday with my own peace of mind! 😸

One year my Son gave us a present of a Geek Squad visit to set up our new stereo system.  Best present ever.  I see their trucks all over, so people must be using them, especially seniors.

• Like 4

Speaking of new technology.  It is odd to me kids being born today and possibly even a little older will never had owned a car with a key to start the ignition 

Edited by BlueSkies
  • Like 5
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 1
19 minutes ago, BlueSkies said:

Speaking of new technology.  It is odd to me kinds being born today and possibly even a little older will never had owned a car with a key to start the ignition 

My daughter and hubby just got a new electric car. It's pretty amazing. That blizzard in Chicago a few years ago where hundreds of cars were abandoned on Lake Shore Drive and eventually towed would have been totally different.

I wonder if the techniques of restoring classic cars will now include an electric upgrade option.

+++++++++++

When I go swimming in Lake Ontario, I wear bottoms with a zipper pocket for a key. The 2014 car I have now has both an electric key and a manual, which I use for those occasions. (I'm not alone on the beach, but I'm not "with" anyone.)

Do electric cars have that option?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, BlueSkies said:

Speaking of new technology.  It is odd to me kinds being born today and possibly even a little older will never had owned a car with a key to start the ignition 

Right.  One thing I didn’t like tho was when the new car stopped at every light.  The stop then go droveme nuts.  I rather the car idle at the light .. not stop.

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

One of my neighbors said her sister, who lives in FL, recently bought a new Corolla and it came with a key 🙀. I thought keys went out 15 or 20 years ago.  

I'm surprised by that, too.  The last car I had with a regular key was a '98.  It had a key fob for locking/unlocking the door and trunk, but a physical key for the ignition.  By the time of my '09, it was the push to start type of ignition.  (There's a physical key tucked into the fob to easily unlock the doors if the fob battery dies, but I can't remember what I'd have to do to actually start the car; I just make sure to replace the battery when it's low.)

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

One of my neighbors said her sister, who lives in FL, recently bought a new Corolla and it came with a key 🙀. I thought keys went out 15 or 20 years ago.  

I have a 2023 Kia Sportage and it came with a key.

Toyota does come with a key, and if you want, a CD player that is becoming obsolete in other cars.  I love Toyota cars.  Unfortunately, some kid ran thru a red light a few years ago and totaled our Toyota.  I was heartbroken.  It had the best sound system in it with a CD player.  I don’t know why other cars don’t have CD players anymore.  I still have so many CD’s.

• Like 6
5 hours ago, kristen111 said:

This year, they said gifts fir the kids only, as we all don’t need anything anymore, plus it’s stressful on what to buy.  I still want to buy a dual gift for the daughters and husbands.  One gift for both.  What’s good?

4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

You can respect their request for no more stuff by gifting either cash or food.

4 hours ago, Bastet said:

I'd say honor their request just to do gifts for the kids. 

@kristen111 the best give you can give them, is what they asked for. Nothing. If you feel inclined, how about a handmade gift certificate for child-care w/ a gift card for a night out (I know you said no gift cards but they very clearly said no gifts, so...)

2 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

Speaking of new technology.  It is odd to me kids being born today and possibly even a little older will never had owned a car with a key to start the ignition 

Sure they will. There are so many cars that still require keys, and so many cars w/ keys that will be around and drivable in 15-18 years.

1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Key FOBs are not standard on every car (as your posts points out). Nearly every car I've rented between 2017 and now came with a keyed start.

1 hour ago, kristen111 said:

Right.  One thing I didn’t like tho was when the new car stopped at every light.  The stop then go droveme nuts.  I rather the car idle at the light .. not stop.

You can disable that feature but it's designed to help reduce emissions and be better for the environment.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, kristen111 said:

My husband's car does that. But there's a button I can push to avoid that. 

• Useful 2
8 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

My husband's car does that. But there's a button I can push to avoid that. 

Yeah, that was our Chevy Equinox.  I hated all the features.  My husband went on the cheap and got the Kia.  I must have been comotose that day at the dealership and insisted on the Toyota instead.  Eh, I hardly drive anymore anyhow.  He does.  Maybe if he has another back surgery.  I want to go and walk in the mall today and see Santa.  Lol.  Then eat junk food.  I’ve been cooking good stuff too much lately.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

I want to go and walk in the mall today and see Santa.  Lol.  Then eat junk food.  I’ve been cooking good stuff too much lately.

Do it!! Everyone just needs a day for something like that.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Do it!! Everyone just needs a day for something like that.

YES .. had a rough month.  We both were in Emergency at different times for a weird Intestinal Flu going around, and for me a Death of a close friend.  Too much at once, so I need to see Santa and nice happy things.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 8
20 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

@shapeshifter  BTW, did you decide or have you already moved near your daughter?  I haven’t been reading all the posts.

Still in flux.
Potential landlady's husband passed. 
Realtor handling it went to Florida for a month.
I got RSV. 

Need to decide in the next week. 
The realtor saw my place. Because this is no longer a good time to sell, I would barely break even, and definitely not make any profit to offset the cost of renting for a year at $1,750/mo.
So I might lease for just 3 months with an option to renew for a year, and put a For Sale By Owner sign in my condo window for 3 months, after which, if it doesn't sell, I will either list it with a realtor or move back in.

• Like 4
  • Hugs 1
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Still in flux.
Potential landlady's husband passed. 
Realtor handling it went to Florida for a month.
I got RSV. 

Need to decide in the next week. 
The realtor saw my place. Because this is no longer a good time to sell, I would barely break even, and definitely not make any profit to offset the cost of renting for a year at $1,750/mo.
So I might lease for just 3 months with an option to renew for a year, and put a For Sale By Owner sign in my condo window for 3 months, after which, if it doesn't sell, I will either list it with a realtor or move back in.

Oh Geeze .. so much trouble, I’m so sorry.  It’s not easy to relocate.  Do you want me to send you a Sugar Daddy?  Financial purposes only.  Jesting.  I loathe selling and moving.  Been there, no joke.  My last and final move back to New York from Florida put us in the poorhouse, but I have my Munchkins at least.  Good luck, anyhow.  Xo

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Oh Geeze .. so much trouble, I’m so sorry.  It’s not easy to relocate.  Do you want me to send you a Sugar Daddy?  Financial purposes only.  Jesting.  I loathe selling and moving.  Been there, no joke.  My last and final move back to New York from Florida put us in the poorhouse, but I have my Munchkins at least.  Good luck, anyhow.  Xo

My MIL died on Halloween and my husband and his sister met with a realtor this morning. I haven't heard anything but I know she's probably hot to sell but I don't think now is the time.

• Like 5
30 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

My MIL died on Halloween and my husband and his sister met with a realtor this morning. I haven't heard anything but I know she's probably hot to sell but I don't think now is the time.

Wait until spring. There's low inventory now, so, yes, the realtor is "hot to sell," but unless you are paying a lot in monthly HOA fees, taxes, or other maintenance expenses: Wait until spring. 
IMO.

• Like 5
11 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Wait until spring. There's low inventory now, so, yes, the realtor is "hot to sell," but unless you are paying a lot in monthly HOA fees, taxes, or other maintenance expenses: Wait until spring. 
IMO.

It's not the realtor, it's my SIL. She's a hothead and thinks she knows everything. The realtor is trying to get her to slow her roll.

• LOL 3

I've been asked to organize and run a 'Christmas sock exchange' game at a luncheon.  Everyone is asked to bring a wrapped pair of Christmas socks.  I'm used to how we run our 'Dirty Santa' exchange at the library's Christmas party, but this one probably has to be a little different. The way we do it in our department is that everyone who is participating brings a gift and puts it under the little tabletop Christmas tree.  When we are just about ready to begin, the person organizing it asks for everyone who will be participating to raise their hands (so he/she can get a count). Then slips are numbered from 1 to whatever (depending on how many people are participating) and each person draws a number. Number one goes first and chooses a gift (and has to open it so everyone can see what they got).  Then number 2 can either choose a gift from under the tree or take an opened gift from that first person (one rule is that they are not allowed to choose and open a gift and then decide to exchange it). The other rule is that once a gift has been chosen and 'stolen' once (or maybe twice, I can't remember) it is 'retired' and can't be stolen again. It's a lot of fun when you have about 30 people in the group.

But, with all gifts being socks, I'm not sure if this would work, since part of the fun each year is looking over the array of gift bags, small boxes, larger boxes and deciding which one might have a great gift.  But these packages will likely all be about the same shape and size (whether in a bag or a box). 

Do you think I can follow the usual way of doing this exchange? (Part of the fun is looking over the array of gift boxes, bags, large and small, and trying to guess which one might have a great gift in them.  These will likely all be similar wrapped items in shape and size.) People could still choose to 'steal' a pair of socks from someone if they really like them and that person could then get another gift from the table. 

Mainly I'm just wondering if 'sock exchange' games are run differently than the usual Dirty Santa game. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Not now is the time because ????  Of the winter coming?  Not true.  When we were selling to go to Florida, we put the house for sale in October.  Many came.  Then on a February 4th snowstorm day, a couple came with the realtor and bought our house.  We closed quickly.  You never know.  People do look for houses in the winter too.  If that is what you mean.

• Useful 1
4 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Not now is the time because ????  Of the winter coming?  Not true.  When we were selling to go to Florida, we put the house for sale in October.  Many came.  Then on a February 4th snowstorm day, a couple came with the realtor and bought our house.  We closed quickly.  You never know.  People do look for houses in the winter too.  If that is what you mean.

It’s funny, but Everytime we sold our houses, all of them took four months.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
58 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I'm so stealing that, lol.

When my Father died, and my Sister lived upstairs from him, I gave her over a year to find a condo as we both were on the house.  Was that fair?  I thought so.

• Like 1