Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E18: Lavabox; Bleni Blends; Happi Floss; Ice Cream Canteen

JTMacc99
  • Start Topic

First into the Tank is an entrepreneur from Denver, Colorado, who created a portable product for those who enjoy camping without the dangers of creating a wildfire. Next into the Tank are brothers from Wynnewood, Pennsylvania, who introduce their convenient smoothie making machine, offering deliciousness at the push of a button; while a dentist from Portland, Oregon, hopes to make the Sharks happy with her biodegradable oral health product. Last into the Tank is an entrepreneur from San Francisco who presents his portable cooler accessory designed to preserve America's favorite dessert while on the go.

After securing a deal with Sharks Mark Cuban and Emma Grede, Erica Cole from Iowa City, Iowa, updates us on their inclusive fashion business, No Limbits, a line of adaptive clothing for people with various disabilities.  

The Sharks in this episode are Mark Cuban, Daymond John, Lori Greiner, Kevin O'Leary and guest Shark Daniel Lubetzky.  

• Useful 1
(edited)

Sharks-Daniel Lubetzky, Mark, Daymond, Kevin, Lori.

Lavabox portable campfires-a patented, propane powered, portable campfire made from ammo boxes.  Invented to be clean, easy to use, and safe.   Ammo can base, attach propane and light.   You can cook on it.    I like the seller.   Lightest fire box on the market, and comes in three sizes.   Small one is $195 retail.   He sold 40 the first week.   18 months in business, 2023 estimated sales $1.2.  All direct to consumer. Has no investors so far. Kevin offers at 20%.     Daymond offers a licensing deal, at 20%.  Lori wants to help at 15% with a royalty, and drops to 12.5 %.    Kevin goes to 10% and no royalty (I may faint, no royalties).

Lori gets the deal with 12.5% and royalty. Josh the seller picked her for her marketing expertise.

Blendi Blends-sells fresh smoothie vending machines.   Sellers are brothers.  They say the future of foods is unattended retail (vending machines).   Machine does iced coffee also.  Fruit smoothies no added sugar, coffee has regular sugar.   They’ve been in business, with a Canadian company for 15 more years with an exclusive licensing deal for the U.S.    Machines do $8,000 a month.   They either lease, service and refill the machine, or the company can buy the machine, and buy the supplies from Blendi.    2023 sales to date $400k.    Machines are 35% profit when they sell it.  They buy the machines from the supplier who manufacturers the machines.   Daniel and Lori are talking.   Daymond is out, Mark is out, and Kevin is out.    Daniel and Lori offer but for 35% at $250k (sellers wanted the same money for 6%).

Lori and Daniel make the deal at 35% at $250k, plus a $500k line of credit.  

Happi Floss-  an eco-friendly oral care version of dental floss picks.  Founder is a pediatric dentist, from Portland, Oregon.   Conventional floss picks are single use, and don’t degrade in landfills.  Her product composts, flosser is made of paper.   This is a preproduction prototype, and she needs help with manufacturing.   Kevin suggests licensing to one of the huge three companies that dominate the dental industry, and drops out when seller keeps saying she wants to manufacture them herself.      Pending patent in U.S., Canada, and Europe.   She had a competitor too.   $12.99 for a 30 pack, but that price will drop after she finds a manufacturer.    Lori drops out.   Daniel drops out.   Daymond drops out.    Mark is the only one left, gives the seller great advice, but drops out.  (Presenter says it's used for kids flossing by parents, but I know plenty of adults who use the single use flossers). 

No deal.

Ice Cream Canteen-an insulated ice cream cooler thermos to keep your ice cream cold.  Mark with the blow torch is scary, and funny.   No more melted ice cream.  It holds a pint of ice cream, keeps ice cream frozen for hours.  Double walled, and holds up to Mark with the torch.   Even after exterior hits over 400 degrees, the ice cream is still frozen.   He wants $100k for 5%.   It keeps the ice cream frozen for 8 hours. There are now two competitors, with very inferior products.   They sell direct to consumer, and through ice cream and gelato shops.   He is profitable, at 50% profit.   He needs help with inventory, and someone to make a deal with the big companies.   Kevin offers.   Seller is clever, he really wants a 20% investment for $100k, but knew they would offer higher percentages, so he went with 5%.  Daymond is out.    Daniel offers networking with manufacturers, and retail connections.   Lori and Mark offer $100k cash, $100k line of credit for 25%.   I think he should go with Lori and Mark, but then Daniel wants to make an offer.   Then Lori and Mark offer 20% with $100k and $200k credit. 

Deal with Lori and Mark

Update:  No Limbits, adaptive clothing line.  Investors are Mark and Emma Grede.   Sales are double since the deal.  They work with Zappos (part of Amazon), and will do over $1 million this year.  They showed at New York Fashion Week.   What a wonderful company, and founder.    I think this could have a much wider market for anyone with mobility issues.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 5
  • Applause 2

I think the Lava presenter should have gone with either Daymond or Kevin.  They both have connections that would grow that product (Daymond with his outdoor experience and Kevin with his Chef Wonderful experience).  I hardly ever see Lori on QVC like in the past and she doesn't mention it during every offer like she did previously so I wonder if her connection with them is the same or has changed.

I really like the ice cream canteen but would not buy it at the price point of $45/more or less.  The presenter really tried to hold on to his valuation (2 million) but the sharks were able to convince him that he had to change (with which I agree-lifetime sales of $400,000 does not equate 2 million).

I am often surprised by what Kevin knows-and so I agree with him that the dental floss presenter needed to go to one of the big 3 and license.  She would still make a good amount of money.  If she went all the way to her own manufacturing and was successful those companies would immediately create their own versions.  

Bleni guys?  I see a lot of problems-the servicing/maintenance on those machines would be crucial (especially dealing with sanitation standards).  I wondered how the machine self-cleaned so that the flavors would not end up blending...

The update made me so happy.  Mark and Emma will still make some money, but sometimes I think it's really great when they invest in a really worthwhile business even though they know it won't be worth millions upon millions of dollars.  The fashion show at the end of the update may have caused some tearing in my eyes as all of the models were so joyous.  This is why I keep watching-sometimes I just scratch my head with the products, deals, and apparent cluelessness at times by the sharks, but then they go ahead and support a wonderful product/company.

• Like 6

What happened with the dental floss?  Was it a no deal?  I zoned out in the middle. 

I never understood why people bought those single use picks, but I do see them strewn all over.  Ugh.  Now I understand it has a use for children.

Someone should invent a refillable pick for children.  You could load it with the string each time or something like that.  Or have it roll and refill like those old fashioned cloth towel rolls for public restrooms.

Oops, maybe I should call the patent office before revealing this idea. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
(edited)

Bleni:  I hate when someone comes on Shark Tank with a product that is licensed from someone else.  Eh.  That said, we love the iced coffee slushee from Cumberland Farms (they may have it elsewhere too--that's a northeast chain). 

Lava Grill:

So you have to carry around one of those refillable propane tanks like I have for my backyard grill?  How would that be very safe, and you can't use it for hiking.  Seems another bad idea.

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 2

Woah that last pitch was so chaotic. I did agree with the stuff they said especially Daymond about everyone coming to the tank and asking for only 5% but it also made sense when the presenter said that sharks always want more even when the entrepreneur comes in asking for 20%.

That being said I don't understand what Daniel was even trying to do... If you really want to make a deal then just spit out the offer.. why was he just staring in silence and waiting for the guy to politely ask him what his offer was? This is just overwhelming to the entrepreneur especially when Mark & Lori always make these ruthless "We're out if you listen to anyone else" kind of deals .. Daniel could have made the offer at the last minute and tried to swoop the deal (the way Mark does). 

I did not appreciate the sharks theatrics in this episode.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

What happened with the dental floss?  Was it a no deal?  I zoned out in the middle. 

I never understood why people bought those single use picks, but I do see them strewn all over.  Ugh.  Now I understand it has a use for children. 

I have no idea why people throw those picks in parking lots. It seems like every time I'm in a parking lot, I see at least one of those things. Are they flossing in the car or what? Can't they take it to the garbage can? Then again, I could never understand why so many people threw their face masks in parking lots and vacant lots either. 

• Like 5

That last guy and pitch was so annoying. He kept talking and talking with no counter offer. I would have just dropped out.  And test is too much fir an ice cream device like that.  Maybe $20 not $45. 

Kevin is right about the dental picks. Go to the manufacturer. Her doing a atart up with no business experience will fail. 

The lava thing for camping seemed good but yes you need propane.  I think you can get mini propane tanks for camping too but I'm not a big camper not sure. 

The smoothie guys....it's a licensing deal, they're required to put in more and more each year, seems like lots of upkeep, it starts to be like an MLM deal. Selling fresh fruit products in a vending machine just seems risky. Do those go bad?  Maybe there frozen snd keep awhile. 

13 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I really like the ice cream canteen but would not buy it at the price point of $45/more or less.  The presenter really tried to hold on to his valuation (2 million) but the sharks were able to convince him that he had to change (with which I agree-lifetime sales of $400,000 does not equate 2 million).

I can't think of a situation where I would need to keep a pint of ice cream cold for 4 hours outside of the freezer. He should probably be going for something larger that would hold enough ice cream for a crowd of people. 

• Like 1

I think a showing at NYFW is a bigger coup than getting a deal on Shark Tank

Marketing a product they neither own or invented? Pass. And they gave away 35% of what they did have. As Dr. Now would say, this is not a good situation. 

I use floss picks because I have never been able to maneuver two hands with the floss thread into my tiny mouth. But I throw them into a garbage can, not outside. I also get them for very little at Big Lots plus coupons. While her idea is better for the environment I'm sure it's going to cost more than that. 

• Like 2
(edited)
8 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

I think a showing at NYFW is a bigger coup than getting a deal on Shark Tank

No idea what NYFW is but I know what Shark Tank is & I can't be alone in that out of the millions who watch it. You might well be correct but it would help if you used words rather than using initials.

Edited by Welshman in Ca
  • Like 1

I think the poster was referring to New York Fashion Week.  If so, I don't think she would have gotten there without her Shark deal.  Whether or not presenters make a deal with a Shark, they get publicity and word about about their product(s).  I wouldn't be surprised if Emma was able to get her a place at New York Fashion Week.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

I use floss picks because I have never been able to maneuver two hands with the floss thread into my tiny mouth. But I throw them into a garbage can, not outside. I also get them for very little at Big Lots plus coupons. While her idea is better for the environment I'm sure it's going to cost more than that. 

I thought that was the biggest problem with her idea. People in Portland may be willing to pay extra to protect the environment, but elsewhere most buyers are driven by cost. They just want the cheapest flosser that works, and that’s going to be the mass-produced plastic pick. A big company could make the cardboard version competitive, but she’ll go under long before she can. Licensing was clearly the smarter play here.

• Like 3

The paper floss pick is huge, and there's no way I could use it to force floss in between my crowded teeth as it starts to soften with my saliva. There's already plastic made from corn—I bought party cups made with it YEARS ago—which would be the smarter sustainable material to use.

• Like 2
On 4/1/2023 at 12:18 PM, Shellie said:

I have no idea why people throw those picks in parking lots. It seems like every time I'm in a parking lot, I see at least one of those things. Are they flossing in the car or what? Can't they take it to the garbage can?

I see them so often in parking lots that I've wondered if there is some 'other' use for them, like drug paraphernalia or such that I just don't understand.

• Like 6
On 4/1/2023 at 11:31 AM, EtheltoTillie said:

Bleni:  I hate when someone comes on Shark Tank with a product that is licensed from someone else.  Eh.  That said, we love the iced coffee slushee from Cumberland Farms (they may have it elsewhere too--that's a northeast chain). 

Lava Grill:

So you have to carry around one of those refillable propane tanks like I have for my backyard grill?  How would that be very safe, and you can't use it for hiking.  Seems another bad idea.

No, they make tiny propane tanks. Like a squatter nalgene size, they weigh maybe a few pounds when full. That's what powered those, not the ones for a backyard grill! 

• Useful 1