Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Against All Odds

• Start Topic

The Nicolettis persuade a wealthy woman to seek revenge on her con-man fiancé at a horse race. Meanwhile, Emma meets Charlie's family, and the CIA and Nicolettis catch wind of Daphne expanding her business beyond the Maguire drug enterprise.

Airdate: March 5, 2023

So did the CIA kidnap Charlie to question him because Emma filled out that relationship status form? That seems......like overkill maybe? I assumed they would investigate him and find out he's been arrested before or something, but was surprised because it's way to early for Emma to find out he's a criminal.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

It’s nice to see Miguel Gomez again after he left FBI:MW. A friendship between a priest and a conman? Geez, I wonder how it started.

Am not into horse races so I didn’t pay much attention to the Con of the Week.

I hope Leo’s memory problem will not lead to a diagnosis of dementia etc. It will be too depressing for the show.

The Nicolettis clearly has underestimated Ollie. She’s a smart girl. Putting a tracker in Daphne’s purse, smart move!

David’s campaign story - boring. 😣

• Like 4
20 minutes ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

The Nicolettis clearly has underestimated Ollie. She’s a smart girl. Putting a tracker in Daphne’s purse, smart move!

It's a bit like Godfather. Steps have been taken to keep someone out of the family business, even though they are aware of it. The character is a force to reckon with and has the potential to shock everyone with thier talent. 

I am loving this series. I like that the Nicolettis have a code in terms of targets and who they will rip off. I know it's not realistic, but these kinds of shows rarely are and I am totally okay with that. 

• Like 5

Granted I was recording this, but I took it as a bad sign that I watched a short YouTube during the second half hour because ... I was bored with the horse-racing story. Oops. Well, we'll see who grabbed Charlie. 

So was Emma finding the ales for Charlie's dad because he couldn't remember where they were or that he was looking for them? And how much time had elapsed that she felt the need to go look for them? Thirsty much?

34 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

Putting a tracker in Daphne’s purse, smart move!

I think this is defintely going to come back to bit them.  I can't imagine the tracker so small that she won't find it.

Not sure why the whatever company/CIA is going to interrogate him.  I am hoping there is another agenda going on.  But I liked the con.

There is only so long Charlie and Emma can keep their mutual lifestyles a secret from each other without EVERYONE looking like complete morons.     Ok looks like next episode takes a big leap toward that HUGE plot hole being rectified.

I do like the show and the characters are all mostly pleasant enough.  Charlie’s family can run a show on their own and the Emma plot could have legitimately come in season 2 and the story could have worked better.   It just all feels awkward having a master conman fall not once bit twice in love with someone lying to him.  And Emma I can forgive a one night stand but getting this deep with a guy guy have literally done no background on until this point is just bad spycraft especially since her friend found stuff pretty fast even if it likely will turn into nothing because the show needs more then 4 episodes. 

• Like 4
5 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Putting a tracker in Daphne’s purse, smart move!

I'm not so sure.  Daphne is smart enough to recognize it, and piece together where it came from.

The horse scam was mildly interesting, but the writers aren't giving the actors good enough lines to sell the scam.  They seem really clunky and anyone with a brain would notice that.  From what I could figure out, the rich lady put her money into to Nicoletti's account, and smarmy conman did the same, thereby losing all of it, but she got hers back.   Didn't he realize it wasn't going into his account?  I didn't follow it that well.  Too bad the horse didn't win and take the track to the bank for all the betting.  

• Like 1
6 hours ago, buttersister said:

So was Emma finding the ales for Charlie's dad because he couldn't remember where they were or that he was looking for them? And how much time had elapsed that she felt the need to go look for them? Thirsty much?

It looked pretty clear to me that the dad was totally lost in what he was doing behind the bar. He got up to get more beer and then when he got to the bar he owns he started turning completely clueless. And Charlie had told her his memory was starting to go. I thought it was her being nice and he appreciated the assist.

6 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

I hope Leo’s memory problem will not lead to a diagnosis of dementia etc. It will be too depressing for the show.

Haven't they already established that he has dementia/Alzheimer's?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The show has good moments, even if few. I like that they all sign when Ollie is around, because that's respect, and how she calls them out when they don't do it.

The girl is deaf and I watched a movie when she was really young. In the movie, all the other kids and many of the characters also sign so she is 100% part of the gang. That's a great way to include the advocacy in a way that it is not explicit, but just part of life.

The episode was well paced but the story was boring. I think Daphne kidnapped Charlie because she is the omnipresent, omnipotent villain with all the resources and knowledge. She knows he called the other super villain in Ireland, she knows EVERYTHING.

Emma's family is boring and their story is unnecessary. If there is a purpose to their presence on screen, they should make this known soon because, right now, they are just wasting screen time.

(edited)

I wasn't so much into The Heist this time; probably because I only understood half of it. And it does look like they will be making Charlie's family of con artists sympathetic by having them only rob other 'bad guys'.

So does Charlie's priest friend know about his life of crime?

Lots of forward movement on the various plots. I am a little concerned that there might be too many things going on. There is the Charlie & Emma romance; Daphne and the Nicolettis; Emma and the CIA hunting Daphne; Emma's brother's campaign; and then the heist-of-the-week. But I'm keeping up for now. They might want to simplify later, though.

So some shady lady(heh) wants to help Emma's brother's campaign? Does this plot really need that extra intrigue?

Don't have any speculation about who grabbed Charlie and why, but it was a surprising twist to end the episode.

Edited by Trini
3 hours ago, Trini said:

So does Charlie's priest friend know about his life of crime?

I'm going with yes, but I have absolutely zero proof. Once I saw him in the clerical color, I thought, "nice call back to Angels with Dirty Faces." 

The horse con was hard to follow. I had to pause a couple times to ask my wife what was going on. That's been my only gripe with the show so far - too many moving parts that aren't always clearly explained.