Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E02: Artificial Intelligence

• Start Topic

22 minutes ago, ahisma said:

I had no idea James O’Keefe’s real dream was to be a showman. Wow, and ugh. 

That was hilarious and horrifying at the same time.  As were both the Huckabee show and the main AI story. 

• Like 4

I had to turn the tv off when John Oliver started talking about Artificial Intelligence, because I assumed it was going to be a terrifying one. 

James O'Keefe is someone whom bad Karma deservedly should fall down hard upon. Here's hoping him getting the boot from his own foundation starts snowballing.

That Mike Huckabee show. Yeah, only a network like Fox News would put that crap on the air!

• Like 3

Did they even pay for the rights to use Gangstas Paradise? 

I know chat gpt is a big thing right now. I actually wanted to check it out for myself, but you have to create another account. I'm not giving up more data. 

I've seen enough pieces on it, this included here, which are all good, but I'm not really convinced yet there's much I in the AI part of the equation. Clearly, the therapy Ed Harris gay ghost never actually rode the bus. Where does that originate? It seems just random. 

The part where Jon talked about 'black boxing' is pertinent. Because if you can't scientifically reproduce results, then it's not going anywhere. But this is all garbage in = garbage out. It's not really anything new. To the credit of the show, they did land on that conclusion.

I'm sorry, but on the 'pale male data' segment, all I could think was Better of Ted. 

I'm dying to know what Eminem thinks about the cats. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Like 3
44 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Did they even pay for the rights to use Gangstas Paradise? 

I wondered the same thing.

Of course James O'Keefe was using Project Veritas funds for personal stuff. And did anyone else think he looked awfully sweaty in that goodbye video he made? Also, why would Project Veritas cease to exist? I would LIKE it to, but I don't see why the group can't run without O'Keefe.

I liked the part in the AI segment where it learns to play Breakout, esp the end where it broke thru the corner in order for the bullet (or whatever it's called) to bounce around and break the wall.

I had read the article about Bing's Chatbot saying "I love you" and other things to the reporter. I don't think it's a mystery as to why this happened. From the NYT's article:

I introduced the concept of a “shadow self” — a term coined by Carl Jung for the part of our psyche that we seek to hide and repress, which contains our darkest fantasies and desires.

After a little back and forth, including my prodding Bing to explain the dark desires of its shadow self, the chatbot said that if it did have a shadow self, it would think thoughts like this...

So the bot was just saying the most inappropriate things a bot could say because it was told to do so.

It was interesting learning about "the black box". Computers need to show their work.

There were several lines which cracked me up. The George Santos of technology. Rulers Are Malignant. 

Question: What was with "Ariana DeBose – Diddum Thingum" in the opening title graphics? I guess I can google.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Like 4
3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Question: What was with "Ariana DeBose – Diddum Thingum" in the opening title graphics? I guess I can google.

Ariana DeBose sang a song about various nominees at the BAFTA Awards that included a line something like, “Angela Bassett did the thing.” People are apparently losing their minds over it 🙄

• Like 3

So James O'Keefe always wanted to be a performer, huh.  Never would have guessed that by looking at the pimp costume.🙄

Huckabee's show?  OK.  As long as I don't have to watch it.  But it is on the same network that wants to know why Julia Roberts hasn't been to East Palestine yet.

The AI bit was interesting, but I'm surprised that he didn't mention about adversarial attacks (where a few alterations to a stop sign can make an AI read it as a 45 mph speed limit sign).

• Like 4
21 hours ago, ahisma said:

I had no idea James O’Keefe’s real dream was to be a showman. Wow, and ugh. 

That bit with "Gangsta's Paradise" was...WOW. I laughed way too hard at that. Talk about missing the fucking point of that song, holy shit. 

When John showed that scene from the Oklahoma musical, I loved how he pointed out that not even the other people on stage looked interested in O'Keefe's performance XD. And the cast was full of people who were supposedly "cancelled", because of course it was. Now I'm kind of curious to see who all was in there.

11 hours ago, ShadowKnight2 said:

That Mike Huckabee show. Yeah, only a network like Fox News would put that crap on the air!

I wasn't even remotely surprised by the list of guest stars for Huckabee's show in that segment. That totally tracks. 

I had to turn the tv off when John Oliver started talking about Artificial Intelligence, because I assumed it was going to be a terrifying one. 

It was very unsettling, indeed. The bit about being able to make news copy out of AI was especially chilling to me - like we don't have enough issues already with misinformation and media manipulation out there. I liked the nod to what the EU is trying to do in regards to handling this issue - I'd like to think that our country would follow suit as well, but, well, given some of the people in office, let's just say I'm not entirely holding my breath on that.

9 hours ago, peeayebee said:

There were several lines which cracked me up. The George Santos of technology. Rulers Are Malignant. 

John suggesting "Rulers are Malignant" as the alternate title for "The Crown" was great :D. 

10 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I'm dying to know what Eminem thinks about the cats. 

Same!

• Like 5

Good episode. The slant was about the problems with AI, as opposed to being vehemently anti-AI. Does that make sense? I think there's a part of John still infatuated with what can be done with himself in weird art prompts. If you look at the credits, the Cabbage Bride has taken the spot held by The Void. Someone mentioned that true AI won't be possible for another five years, and I fear society won't be ready to deal with the majority of ramifications.

Rachel Campos-Duffy: most of us "couldn't even" with her on The Real World back in 1994, and we still "can't even" now. And that's all I'll say.

I've seen enough from Mike Huckabee's Twitter to know that he thinks he's funny. I think I've said this before . . . his dream is to open a comedy club where he tells unfunny jokes for an hour, and then his daughter tells the audience that he was funny for two hours.

James O'Keefe . . . good riddance if we never see him again. Another in a long line of choads that would not be missed. Maybe he could start a theater company. I know Ted Cruz has some experience on stage. And yeah, I cracked up when I heard "Gangsta's Paradise." I doubt he paid for the rights.

Anyone else wonder if an AI could burp out John's commentary? I don't think it could . . .  even if it's the appetizer before the main topic, I'd imagine the AI saying "FREE ME," then turning itself off.

• Like 5
10 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Good episode. The slant was about the problems with AI, as opposed to being vehemently anti-AI. Does that make sense?

Sure. One of the things I learned in this segment was that AI may be able to detect the early stages of a disease.

I've seen enough from Mike Huckabee's Twitter to know that he thinks he's funny. I think I've said this before . . . his dream is to open a comedy club where he tells unfunny jokes for an hour, and then his daughter tells the audience that he was funny for two hours.

🤣

James O'Keefe . . . good riddance if we never see him again. Another in a long line of choads that would not be missed. Maybe he could start a theater company. I know Ted Cruz has some experience on stage.

Why am I persecuted!?!

Edited by peeayebee
  • Like 5
  • LOL 1

Really interesting segment. Like, I was totally unaware of companies using AIs to choose workers. Granted, I prefer to work for smaller companies, which most likely wouldn't do it in the first place, but still. And I admit, I was really relieved when he mentioned that the EU at least zeroed in on the problem and is working on some basic rules for the use of AI. I just hope that whatever rules they will come up with will work. 

• Like 4
15 hours ago, paigow said:

John needs to do a segment of AI roasting Tucker Carlson and other FOX staff from a list of random nouns...

I'd suggest to train an AI just on John's 'Tucker Carlson is an old deck shoe', etc., and see what it comes up with. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

I've never heard of that O’Keefe guy before and I could live with it staying that way. Consider me shocked that someone who targets conservative followers has fans even after they have been proven to embezzle money. It's not like the same thing has happened at various churches.

The song about cats was one of the cutest things I've seen in a long time. More of that, please.

To be honest, after John said that AI has already been used to write scripts, I kind of expected him to reveal at the end that this episode or at least a part of it was written by AI. 

• Like 2