Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: A Next Level Welcome

• Start Topic

15 minutes ago, DanaK said:

Hard to believe the guy who dropped his plate wasn’t one of two facing elimination

He got a lucky break.   He was on the winner’s team and they got team immunity.   

• Like 1
On 2/13/2023 at 10:51 AM, Cara said:

Grit cakes are most certainly a thing!

B5E2A351-36EE-4002-B184-D5E84495C90B.thumb.jpeg.b2337d7bd7312c2d968c3e148f01fad1.jpeg

Yes, that annoyed me.  All 3 judges acting like or actually not knowing what that is.  That's unacceptable.  I'm just a home cook and I'm not even American and I know all about them.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
10 hours ago, DanaK said:

Hard to believe the guy who dropped his plate wasn’t one of two facing elimination

Yeah.  He shouldn't have even been judged.  He didn't get his plate on the platform and it fell.  He threw it on the platform hoping it would stay.  Even though his team won, there should be a rule where, if you don't get to the platform, you go into elimination anyway.

• Like 3
On 2/13/2023 at 4:17 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

That annoyed me.  All 3 judges acting like or actually not knowing what that is.  That's unacceptable.  I'm just a home cook and I'm not even American and I know all about them.  

I had just eaten a grits cake and shrimps at a well regarded restaurant on the previous Friday night! I would have thought at least GR would have been familiar with them!

Edited by Cara
  • Like 3
46 minutes ago, Cara said:

I had just eaten a grits cake and shrimps at a well regarded restaurant on the previous Friday night! I would have thought at least GR would have been familiar with them!

It's one thing I don't really like about this show.  It's a lot of fake overreactions just for drama.

I also think they were very openly mocking of the poor woman.  They were trying to ridicule her.  It's all so unnecessary and so transparent.

I watched after the Super Bowl and I just kept marveling at hoooow slooooow these contestants were on the premiere!  All dude on Gordon's team had was shrimp on the plate and should not have taken so long to get to the platform! Tick tock, mf! I'm sure Gordon was screaming, "Move your ass!" in his head because this isn't THAT show. Heh.

• LOL 2

I watched part of last season and gave up because I thought it was too gimmicky but I'm giving it another try because there's just not enough Gordon on these days and Hell's Kitchen just ended.  I feel like it's passable for now but I'm not sure I'll make it to the end of the season.  

And yeah, even this northerner already knew that grit cakes exist and let's not even mention how grits are basically polenta from different colored corn and Ramsay most certainly should know what polenta cakes are.  

• Like 4

Those are some huge arse immunity pins. Like, Hunger Games style. Next, contestants from the basement level will get to shoot arrows to poach ingredients from the top level? 

Cakes made from grits? Um, not even a stretch in my mind, even if they're not official a "thing" in teevee chef world yet. Imitation crab (aka, "krab"), though? Not something that really needs to exist, IMO, let alone used as a main ingredient in a cooking contest. But blonde, younger, comely Southern cooks are still definitely a thing in teevee chef shows, so no way was she going home. 

I actually rewatched this with my daughter because she didn't get to see it post-Superbowl. Something I noticed is that the team leaders weren't always so nice about their team members' dishes. The grit cake was one example, another was the "swimming in curry" comment and there was something about the meatballs. I think that if they are going to comment, they should find something nice to say or not say anything and just describe the dish. 

(edited)

Just started watching so I am trying to catch up.  I liked that we didn't waste airtime with the team picking, they were already assigned to teams.

My complaint is that this is a cooking show and there is not enough time spent on actual cooking.  I do love seeing the contestants frenetically grabbing stuff off the platform.  But once they get back to their stations, I would love some kind of graphic displayed when their name pops up that lists out exactly what ingredients they grabbed.

We see the mentors wandering around and giving advice and asking what they are making, but we see little actual cooking.  Then all of a sudden there are only 2 minutes left on the clock and everyone is freaking out.

It was very obvious that one of Kamaleah, the ex-NFL player, or the chunky blonde was going home.  I think they are pretty much the only ones that got an extensive backstory and more airtime.  The blonde with her Southern accent reminds me of the Southern blonde from last season.  "I'm a home cook just trying to feed my kids good food."  Same sad sack crying when she thought she was in danger.

On 2/13/2023 at 10:47 PM, mertensia said:

Tucker is going to annoy me. That tongue sticking out made me want to whack her over the head with a dead trout.

I didn't notice the tongue, but those spacer hoop things in her ears are beyond frightening to me.

Edited by blackwing
(edited)

I've been watching this on Tubi.

What the hell is a "social media chef"? Do they have actual culinary training or are they just people who cook and film themselves and post it? Does "chef" and "cook" mean the same thing now?

I should post videos of myself on the toilet and call myself a "social media shitter".

Edited by Writing Wrongs
  • LOL 1
On 3/3/2023 at 3:45 PM, Writing Wrongs said:

I've been watching this on Tubi.

What the hell is a "social media chef"? Do they have actual culinary training or are they just people who cook and film themselves and post it? Does "chef" and "cook" mean the same thing now?

I should post videos of myself on the toilet and call myself a "social media shitter".

Honestly, you might be onto something! A podcast from your toilet. Ya gotta have a gimmick!