Type keyword(s) to search

Bobby's Triple Threat - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I watched this for the first time last night because there was nothing else I wanted to see. It was the one with catfish. I'm also a little suspicious of the judging. I think I will watch again if there is nothing else on.

1 hour ago, schnauzergirl said:

New series starts on July 9, 9:00 p.m.  First challenger -- Marcus Samuelson.

Now there's a match-up! Go Marcus.

• Like 6
2 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I wonder if all the "titans" are returning? 

I was just wondering that too since I see Michael Voltaggio is going to be on BBQ Brawl.

• Useful 2
13 minutes ago, Trey said:

I was just wondering that too since I see Michael Voltaggio is going to be on BBQ Brawl.

Looks like it since their pictures are on the Titans FN page.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Last night's episode with Marcus was one of the best ever.  To watch four great chefs, who clearly respect each other, go to it ... outstanding.  I wasn't familiar with the judge, but liked his critiques and the fact he clearly enjoyed the dishes even when he wished the chef had done something else.  Brooke was clearly not happy with him, though. Tiffany was so stoked with her score -- endearing!

• Like 9
  • Applause 3

I've never seen this show before - watched because I'm a Marcus fangirl😍

He did not disappoint!  Nor did the "Titans". Such creativity. Michael Voltaggio especially blows me away - I always wish I could taste his creations.

• Like 6

I was stunned Marcus got a 19 on his final dish with that horrible watery texture.  Since it's Marcus, it must have been hella flavorful and, most important to the judge, creative.  A high score despite one glaring error of execution, even a score high enough to win given his lead, wouldn't have surprised me, just a near-perfect score.  I'm glad Tiffany got one, too -- and with a salad, which tends to get poo-pooed in competition.

Brooke had me yelling at her through the TV, which virtually never happens -- if you like your salmon more done than the average person, cook it that way at home, not in a frakkin' competition where almost any judge is going to call it overcooked.  I love her because she's as fantastic a cheftestant as she is a chef (I've had her food several times), so the rare times she makes an error in strategy it bums me out.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

And it was Brooke's 2 points that cost them the competition.  Michael and Tiffany tied with Marcus. But I wanted Marcus to win so it works for me.

• Like 4
34 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

I don't usually care for Shirley but she wasn't too bad tonight. People really need to let these Top Chef moments go. 

I felt the opposite about Shirley tonight.  I found her so annoying with her “Brookie” BS and her “I’m so famous for…”.  Gosh, I wanted Brooke to beat her again.  I now call into question Geoffrey Z’s taste buds if he couldn’t taste even a hint of the charred pork belly.  

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

I’m not a GZ fan at all.

Question — Am I being too cynical here (I probably am) but do you think the win here has more to do with negotiated losses on other shows/competitions?  I can’t help but think that.

I can't stand Geoffrey Zakarian's wage-thieving ass, and between Alex vs. America and this I've had to watch him twice in just a few days, but this was a good episode.  The best parts were the Titans' reactions from the couch, when something came right down to the wire.  It was funny hearing the Titans say they had a surprising amount of fun for a competition in which they got smoked each round.  And Brooke saying "Maybe this can be the end of the pork belly thing" at the end.

I correctly predicted every single score this entire episode, which I don't think I've ever done before.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

I know most of the chefs who compete share long histories and have specific memories of those experiences.  Having said that, I was embarrassed for Shirley -- such a persistent carrying on about "Brookie" and then pork belly.  To me, it bordered on the childish.  

That's two losses in a row for the Titans.  

• Like 3

GZ making the rounds.  My belief is that the only reason he was successful at Iron Chef is because Alex was his top soux….you were essentially battling 2 irons chefs.

best moment was Michael’s comment about Shirley adding more liquid to a burned bottom pan.  I think Shirley knew the nuance between burned and charred dark soy.  Cuz Geoffrey certainly didn’t lol.

i think this entire show should be judged blind.  At the very least the judge should not know the competitors.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, HappyDancex2 said:

i think this entire show should be judged blind.

Yeah, they have some nerve calling it "blind judging" while the two competitors for each round are standing right there, and reacting to the judge's comments.

I don't come close to watching every cooking competition on TV, but of those I watch only Tournament of Champions is - and quite deliberately so, which I applaud - set up for actual blind judging (judges can still use subconscious bias based on thinking even in the back of their mind X person often appears and often cooks Y cuisine, so this might be them, but it's reduced as much as it can be by not letting them know who's competing in a given season, let alone the particular round they're judging). 

It's not remotely a coincidence that ToC, with all five seasons being won by women - three times by women of color - has a winners list that looks much different demographically than that of other shows.

More shows, especially those wanting to be regarded as featuring only the best of the best, need to follow suit.

• Like 9
(edited)
On 7/14/2024 at 12:41 PM, Bastet said:

Brooke had me yelling at her through the TV, which virtually never happens -- if you like your salmon more done than the average person, cook it that way at home, not in a frakkin' competition where almost any judge is going to call it overcooked.  I love her because she's as fantastic a cheftestant as she is a chef (I've had her food several times), so the rare times she makes an error in strategy it bums me out.

I'm sure she doesn't cook her salmon medium; she messed up.  And was really pissed off at the chef/judge for that frankly pathetic 6/10, which can't all be put down to slightly overcooked salmon.  She is not used to not being told she excels.

I actually like all four of the chefs who were on that episode, even Michael V. whom I used to find utterly obnoxious, and Brooke can definitely be a bit much and often seems pretty entitled.

Oh well, fun episode, despite Bobby Flay and his pretentious white running shoes with a suit but no socks.  Dick.

Edited by Ancaster
On 7/17/2024 at 8:20 AM, Ellee said:

Question — Am I being too cynical here (I probably am) but do you think the win here has more to do with negotiated losses on other shows/competitions?  I can’t help but think that.

Nope. My husband says a lot of these Food Network shows are just money laundering schemes for chefs and their friends. "Lets invite all my friends on to cook and one of them is going away with thousands of dollars!"

• Like 1

Well, last night's battle was a pip and the Titans seemed truly flabbergasted at the result.  The judge (Lucinda -- last name already gone from my memory bank) certainly didn't hold back with either criticism or praise.  I do hope, though, we're not in for a season where every challenger's history with Brooke is such a big deal. 

• Like 4

Kevin sounded all stuffed up, like he had a cold or something. Maybe why he messed up the final round, he was exhausted. 

• Like 1

Kevin is impressive, but I'm glad the final round went as it did, so that the Titans won, and specifically because of Brooke.

And, holy cow, even though Tiffany apparently really screwed up her sauce, I wanted to devour every single dish in the first round (ginger and scallops) -- yum!

• Like 3

I dunno.  I found that Kevin episode hard to believe.  I think an improvement of this show would be the judge doesn’t know who cooked the meals after every round.  Maybe the end of show reveal like they do on Alex v America.  She seemed to have made her scores dramatic there at the end….kind of like they do on GGG which just has much smaller stakes and a game show feel.

I appreciate the judge scoring low and giving harsh feedback we rarely see on any cooking show.  But this I find it impossible to believe that even a crappy dish made by Kevin would score so low so the titans could come back and win.  And I also feel like Kevin didn’t need to plate his collards after his pressure cooker broke and could have incorporated kimchi some other way.

It’s honestly the first time on this show that I raised one eyebrow because it felt like Bobby said “you want to be part of the most epic comeback on this show?  I will now feature you on my other shows if you throw the last challenge”

• Like 8

Thought it was also interesting that Volt acknowledged that he was making Asian inspired dish so that the judge had a harder time guessing whose dish it was.  I think that can be the unsaid script in many competitions, especially TOC.

i will always wonder if Aarti Sampath was a good chef or did thy just think she was Maneet?  And why did she never come back?  Now TOC is so Asian chef dominant it’s not even worth it for the judges to try to guess who is the chef.

I’m glad Volt is doing more of these shows.  We need his representation IMO.

• Like 4
(edited)

I enjoy this show. I really did not like the judge in the latest episode, however. I thought she seemed very full of herself. And working for Martha Stewart isn't the coup they made it seem. Martha's recipes were known for being poorly written and/or tested.

Edited by jcbrown
  • Like 5

I think that’s why the concept of Alex v america is better because Alex doesn’t know who the judges are that she’s cooking for.  While the show gets clunky sometimes at least there is natural suspense, other than Eric occasionally adding a little too much commentary that seems pro Alex lol.

the judge here knows they are looking at a dish made by one of the titans by nature of the show.  What would improve here is that the titans could be a pool of 8 chefs so even the judge is blind.  Plus there would be more strategy on who goes first and last.

The judge should never see the challenger.  There is already bias.  Nobody is going to ding Marcus after they see him….too much respect.  It’s easy to make Kevin Lee the “omg comeback patsy” because he hasn’t garnered any competition show cred yet.  He’s a budding star.  There is zero incentive to come on the show if you care about being embarrassed.  That’s why TOC is so great…big name chefs in the TV world and Guy makes it OK to lose.  At the very least Guy always can prop them back up by being judges on his shows.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
6 hours ago, HappyDancex2 said:

What would improve here is that the titans could be a pool of 8 chefs so even the judge is blind.

I'd keep it with these three, but have them - and the challenger, who wouldn't even be known to the judge until after the final score, like on Alex vs. America - elsewhere while the judge is eating, not standing there audibly reacting to the commentary.  It could either be like A v. A where the chefs have no idea what the judge is saying, or like Tournament of Champions where they can watch on cc TV.  I'm sure this show can afford a second set, or just put them in trailers like the other two shows I mentioned.

• Like 4
17 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I'd keep it with these three, but have them - and the challenger, who wouldn't even be known to the judge until after the final score, like on Alex vs. America - elsewhere while the judge is eating, not standing there audibly reacting to the commentary.  It could either be like A v. A where the chefs have no idea what the judge is saying, or like Tournament of Champions where they can watch on cc TV.  I'm sure this show can afford a second set, or just put them in trailers like the other two shows I mentioned.

Maybe it's a Bobby Flay thing.  On Beat Bobby Flay in the final round the two competitors are facing the judges as they taste dishes and nobody seems to even try to look non-committal.   

• Like 3

This might sound nitpicky I know. The opening of this show annoys me so much.  I'm not sure what the exact reason is though.

• Like 6
  • LOL 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Jaded said:

This might sound nitpicky I know. The opening of this show annoys me so much.  I'm not sure what the exact reason is though.

It's the stupid logo thingie for me. There had to be a different way to summon the Titans. 😀

Edited by Salacious Kitty
  • Like 5
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, Jaded said:

I watch it later on Discovery+, so I skip it.  I watched it the first time, though, and thought it went on ridiculously long.

• Like 8
1 hour ago, Jaded said:

The opening of this show annoys me so much.  I'm not sure what the exact reason is though.

I think the logo bit is silly but the main reason I don't like it is because it's way too long.

• Like 6

Tonight is a repeat episode with Shirley Chung.  Now that she revealed she is undergoing treatment for stage 4 tongue cancer these episodes have so much more weight watching people do the things they love for our entertainment.

• Mind Blown 3
  • Hugs 1
  • Sad 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, HappyDancex2 said:

Tonight is a repeat episode with Shirley Chung.

Since that originally aired only two weeks ago, it sounds like they're re-airing it because she went public with her diagnosis and treatment.  I am sure contracts for these competition shows are not structured in a way that pays residuals to participants for re-runs, so it doesn't really help her any, but it will be bittersweet to see her back when she had her hair, her voice hadn't been affected, she was so happy, etc.  I hope treatment is successful and she's back making the rounds of these competitions as soon as she feels up to it.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

I saw the sad news about Shirley's cancer just a few days ago, right before watching the latest few episodes, so I was really moved to see Shirley filled with so much joy here, and to see her win so decisively. She did look really tired, which in hindsight is so sad, because she was sick and didn't know it.

I don't mind her, although I have found her personality to be a lot. But, well, sometimes, so is mine, so I can't be too tough on her there, and I do believe she's genuine and authentic -- she truly does exude joy for what she does.

I admit that I do get a little tired of "one-thing" chefs, so Shirley's focus on dumplings sometimes feels a bit repetitive to me show after show. With that said, however -- it's that much more fun for me to watch her either kick ass on those dumplings -- or step away from them and still excel. She was terrific in this episode at both.

Anyway, I'm wishing Shirley absolutely all the luck and healing in the world. It looks like she has gone to the team that healed Grant Achatz, so fingers crossed Shirley gets the same wonderful result!

Meanwhile, I loved Marcus's episode -- just so brilliant and creative, and so much fun! I thought Kevin's felt weird, though -- he was just a little smirky for my tastes. He just seemed so sure he would win.

But then that judge really kind of irked me more -- she was very high/low, no subtlety, in both her comments and her scores.

I did like seeing Brooke come through, though.

Edited by paramitch
word usements not good
  • Like 3
On 7/28/2024 at 10:44 AM, jcbrown said:

I enjoy this show. I really did not like the judge in the latest episode, however. I thought she seemed very full of herself. And working for Martha Stewart isn't the coup they made it seem. Martha's recipes were known for being poorly written and/or tested.

I thought it was just me!!!!! I’m a solid cook and nothing I’ve ever made using a Martha Stewart recipe has been good!!!!! I gave up after a few recipes no matter how nice the pictures are.

• Like 2

I dislike the liquor and cocktail emphasis on this show.  It seems unnecessary and takes up time.  We get it Bobby, you love to drink.  There has been way more emphasis on his tequila habit on BBF as well.  I’d edit out the slow pour shots and fix the fake blind judging.  I’m not exactly picking up the cool lounge vibe they are going for because I’m not there and it’s not being shot in a movie vid mode that makes it seductive.  

I’m beginning to see as a viewer that judging seems to be what my mind picks up and remembers as entertainment.  It’s kind of the same issue I have with the fake poker style show that insinuates it’s shot in NYC but is really shot in California lol

• Like 1

I love Eric A. It seems like everyone does. But I wasn't sure if he had the chops to beat the titans. He was killing it on flavors. I can't believe he had time management problems. Competing 101.

• Like 6
(edited)

Brooke has cooked in a ton of competitions and it seems this season's Titans chefs are skewed toward those who competed again her, most looking for "redemption."  If memory serves, each has chosen Brooke for the final round when the contestant has the choice of ingredients.  This isn't a criticism, but I do wonder how Michael and Tiffany feel since it tends to be on Brooke to pull off a Titan win.  There's also a chance I'm overthinking this whole thing.

Edited by schnauzergirl
  • Like 3
(edited)

It's like they're trying to squeeze in aspects of Superchef Grudge Match since they can't air that anymore. Silvia even mentioned the knife she was using. Tiffany and Michael are probably happy not to have so many frenemies out there.

Edited by Grizzly
Proofread
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

I wonder if Brooke changing from her heels on the dias to sneakers in the kitchen is part of her cooking time? Love how nervous Frank makes the titans.

(edited)
22 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

I wonder if Brooke changing from her heels on the dias to sneakers in the kitchen is part of her cooking time? Love how nervous Frank makes the titans.

I haven't watched it yet, but if she did it once the cook began, it better have been counted in her cook time!! Plan ahead, Brooke, you really want to competition cook in heels??? This isn't a fashion show!

Edited by Gramto6

LOL I’ve noticed that too but I somehow feel like the run down the stage happens and production stops…she changes her shoes almost every time.

Frank is the human personification of Meh.  And I’m here for it.

• Like 2