Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: CompStat Interruptus

DearEvette
  • Start Topic

When four party-goers fatally overdose, the 7-4's investigation is impeded by an ongoing DEA operation, and Haywood turns to Suarez for help. Also, Yenko deals with tension at home, and Sandeford prepares for a date with his ex, Tamika.

Airdate: 11/20/2022

There certainly seemed to be sparks between Regina and that undercover DEA agent. And that commanding officer or whatever his rank calling out Regina at ComSat was nasty like he had some agenda against her. She shut him down at the end with the successful joint operation with the DEA

• Love 3
1 hour ago, DanaK said:

that commanding officer or whatever his rank calling out Regina at ComSat was nasty like he had some agenda against her. She shut him down at the end with the successful joint operation with the DEA

Sure, but am I the only one who thought Chief Suarez did not need to be answering the "nasty" commander for Regina? That it kind of demeaned her, even if though Suarez' intent was to support her?
Maybe Regina not scolding him about it later was supposed to demonstrate just how cool and awesome she is?

1 hour ago, DanaK said:

There certainly seemed to be sparks between Regina and that undercover DEA agent. 

Yeah, but Undercover's main objective is to get out of undercover work, so he might be mainly hoping to parlay a closeness with Regina into a change of workplace. 
IDK. He's probably a red shirt.😵.
If he does get a dog, I'm guessing an undercover narcotics agent's dog would have to be a rescue pit bull, which could offer some cute comic relief when the vicious guard dog turns out to be more of a lap dog, that also lets Regina's dog cuddle up with him/her.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, DanaK said:

certainly seemed to be sparks between Regina and that undercover DEA agent

20 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

17 hours ago, 12catcrazy said:

I thought the same thing, although it would be ok to see Regina going out with somebody.  

On cop shows, having a character become part of a romantic relationship and having a character killed off are not mutually exclusive.💋☠️   
It’s a natural recipe for a guest star signed on for a limited time. 
But sometimes actors signed for short term stints do become regulars. 
🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 2

Ohh god, please don’t ruin this show and turn it into a soap opera! 😣

Let’s recap on the relationship dramas:

▪️The Yenkos - mental health issue.
▪️Marvin & Tamika - anxious reconciliation.
▪️Tommy, Corinne & ex-con chef - mundane restaurant issues.  
▪️Andre & Brandy - PDA during working hour.   
▪️Regina & Sean - potential love interest.
▪️Overprotective Chief Suarez - unrequited love? *wild guess*

Why do they need to squeeze all these personal stories into one episode, rush the crime portion of it and also the CompStat scenes?

The Santiagos have been on Narcotics’ radar for generations and their operations have been taken down in 5 minutes. Talk about believability. UC DEA agent is a clichéd plot device. 🙄

• Like 1
On 11/21/2022 at 9:28 AM, shapeshifter said:

Sure, but am I the only one who thought Chief Suarez did not need to be answering the "nasty" commander for Regina? That it kind of demeaned her, even if though Suarez' intent was to support her?
Maybe Regina not scolding him about it later was supposed to demonstrate just how cool and awesome she is?

Yeah, but Undercover's main objective is to get out of undercover work, so he might be mainly hoping to parlay a closeness with Regina into a change of workplace. 
If he does get a dog, I'm guessing an undercover narcotics agent's dog would have to be a rescue pit bull, which could offer some cute comic relief when the vicious guard dog turns out to be more of a lap dog, that also lets Regina's dog cuddle up with him/her.

Oh, but Regina did light into him when back in her office. Said she didn’t need him to defend her actions, had it handled, and warned him never to do it again. He looked sufficiently sheepish, and agreed with her as he crept out the door. 

On 11/21/2022 at 8:00 AM, DanaK said:

There certainly seemed to be sparks between Regina and that undercover DEA agent. And that commanding officer or whatever his rank calling out Regina at ComSat was nasty like he had some agenda against her. She shut him down at the end with the successful joint operation with the DEA

Yes, but she had to eat crow and toss all the credit to the DEA (play-nice interdepartmental politics).  I like her take on it though, she doesn’t need accolades, just to be able to do what she most cares about.  Every week my respect for the way Regina is written grows exponentially. I absolutely love this character. 
I wouldn’t mind DEA undercover guy working for the department. 

• Like 3
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Let’s recap on the relationship dramas:

▪️The Yenkos - mental health issue.
▪️Marvin & Tamika - anxious reconciliation.
▪️Tommy, Corinne & ex-con chef - mundane restaurant issues.  
▪️Andre & Brandy - PDA during working hour.   
▪️Regina & Sean - potential love interest.
▪️Overprotective Chief Suarez - unrequited love? *wild guess*

Why do they need to squeeze all these personal stories into one episode, rush the crime portion of it and also the CompStat scenes?

The Santiagos have been on Narcotics’ radar for generations and their operations have been taken down in 5 minutes. Talk about believability. UC DEA agent is a clichéd plot device. 🙄

I'm amazed that you know all of the characters' names! 

• Fire 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

The Santiagos have been on Narcotics’ radar for generations and their operations have been taken down in 5 minutes.

...because the higher ups didn't want to catch them. I took it to be another corruption story, and a slam at the way turf wars and competition for credit are stopping investigations. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

"Did I just hear that?" is what I said to the TV when the DEA manager said he "owned" the agent. If that got out (cough cough) it could rebound badly on him when he wants undercovers for his operation.

Also, it was clearly "drugs are bad, mmkay" night on CBS.

Edited by kwnyc
Additional thought
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Yeah, when I saw that I thought that she probably wasn't going to like that. He did explain it afterwards though, that he let himself get riled up.

What's that?

On 11/23/2022 at 1:41 AM, SnazzyDaisy said:

I know that many people meet their partner at work and I do have my pairings that I root for but this is getting too much even for a hopeless romantic like me. Can't TV cops just work with each other for once?

On 11/23/2022 at 1:41 AM, SnazzyDaisy said:

The Santiagos have been on Narcotics’ radar for generations and their operations have been taken down in 5 minutes.

Yeah, they just did the same on FBI International. A leading Spanish crime boss that no one had been able to arrest and the FBI team swoops in and manages to shoot him in the line of their investigation. I had to laugh at that.

On 11/23/2022 at 10:44 PM, kwnyc said:

"Did I just hear that?" is what I said to the TV when the DEA manager said he "owned" the agent. If that got out (cough cough) it could rebound badly on him when he wants undercovers for his operation.

I had the same thought and I thought for sure that Regina would tell him that nobody owns the agent, that he is his own person. I mean, even I did a double-take. A white guy tells a Black woman that he owns a Black man and she concludes it's about a turf war? Definitely not the first thing that would have jumped to my mind.

I was a bit unclear about the mental health issue the captain's wife has. Does she have anxiety or does she have anxiety due to Covid? At first, I thought it was the latter because they mentioned Covid years but they also mentioned that she hasn't been to her annual check-up in five years, so that would be before Covid.

On 11/23/2022 at 8:00 AM, Daff said:

Oh, but Regina did light into him when back in her office. Said she didn’t need him to defend her actions, had it handled, and warned him never to do it again. He looked sufficiently sheepish, and agreed with her as he crept out the door. 

Yes, but she had to eat crow and toss all the credit to the DEA (play-nice interdepartmental politics).  I like her take on it though, she doesn’t need accolades, just to be able to do what she most cares about.  Every week my respect for the way Regina is written grows exponentially. I absolutely love this character. 
I wouldn’t mind DEA undercover guy working for the department. 

Agree. I think Regina is an example of good writing for a strong female lead. I wish the writers of Alaska Daily would watch this show, because they’ve used the standard bitch-on-wheels mold for their female lead. She is so over the top she’s not relatable. 

Regina has a steely kind of strength and no-nonsense attitude, and she’s still likable. I think the actress is doing a great job. 

I love Jimmy Smits and wish he was used more on this show. Watching this makes me want to go back and binge NYPD Blue again or maybe even LA Law. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, CheshireCat said:
On 11/21/2022 at 6:28 AM, shapeshifter said:

What's that?

A designated victim, to be killed or at least grievously injured in the plot.  I think it comes from the original Star Trek series for the unfortunate crewman who was always killed on some excursion.

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
On 11/30/2022 at 1:41 PM, Dowel Jones said:

A designated victim, to be killed or at least grievously injured in the plot.  I think it comes from the original Star Trek series for the unfortunate crewman who was always killed on some excursion.

Yep, from ST:TOS. Security officers wore red uniforms, and were usually the first ones offed in landing parties.

Surprisingly, the ad agency for a certain healthcare provider didn't quite understand what redshirt means in pop culture, leading to this...unfortunate billboard.

image.png.016d6de7a8159f5c209f0652fd044ddc.png

Edited by NJRadioGuy
  • LOL 5
On 11/30/2022 at 2:54 AM, CheshireCat said:

I was a bit unclear about the mental health issue the captain's wife has. Does she have anxiety or does she have anxiety due to Covid?

I think the stress and fear of Covid and the lockdown to prevent getting the dreaded disease did a number on her and she has some sort of social anxiety disorder as a result. I don't know the stats, but it's happened to a lot of people and might be a long-term effect of Covid for some.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

It could be garden variety agoraphobia. 

I'd think that if it was COVID related, she'd wear a mask when she finally went out.

Also, I could be mis-remembering this, but I think he said it had been 5 years since she went out, which pre-dated COVID. 

And she didn't seem to be doing anything else related to preventing infection, like worrying that he would bring it home to her.

Edited by possibilities
  • Useful 1