Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E03: High Flight

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

MANIFEST_403_Unit_00144.jpg

Cal tries to understand his scar. A Calling leads Michaela to 828 co pilot Amuta, who sheds light on what he saw. Ben makes an emotional connection.

Premiere Date:  November 4, 2022

Edited by AnimeMania

Well, I guess they've sucked me back into this.  I wasn't exactly hate-watching the original, it was more of a "what more ridiculous thing can happen" sort of attitude.  Now knowing this is the final season, I do want to see how they wrap this all up.

So... Cal in his calling/flashback/vision(?) on the plane said something like "I know how to save my mom now".  Are they going to undo Grace's murder?  I'd be okay with that, actually. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Somehow Cal's dragon tattoo is tied to the hidden recording.  Sure, why not ?

The lightning in the 828 registry office was pretty lame.

Mick figures out Drea is sleeping with Jared.  And all it took was a cup of coffee to put 2 and 2 together.  That's some fine detective work there.  Only Mick isn't a detective anymore -- so what is she doing for a job ?

Adrian is hiding Angelina and Eden in the attic of the 828 sanctuary.

Apparently Ben doesn't understand the concept of 'holding back'.  

Angelina and Eden are 'connected'.  Because Angelina says so.  Sure, why not ?

Who knew that Eden's crayons were magic ?  This is so stupid.

Ben is even more unlikable in the flashback with Olive.

And now Olive has 828 abilities -- because she can "feel" Eden. 

The Long Delirious Burning Blue -- now that should have been the episode title.  :)

And Ben Stone may have his calling groove back.

Please no, not the peacock again from back in Season 1.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Mick figures out Drea is sleeping with Jared.  And all it took was a cup of coffee to put 2 and 2 together.  That's some fine detective work there.  Only Mick isn't a detective anymore -- so what is she doing for a job ?

I was kind of under the impression she already knew and they had talked about it and she was just giving Drea a bad time -- "yes - I recognize that coffee place - I know what you were doing wink wink."  Otherwise, I think Drea would have had a different reaction. 

Zeke must really be raking it in with his counseling job which looks like for a non-profit which have been known to pay high salaries, especially for someone who does not have a graduate degree in counseling.  

• Like 4
On 11/5/2022 at 2:35 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

Only Mick isn't a detective anymore -- so what is she doing for a job ?

In the first episode of the season, Zeke said something about Mick following the Callings full-time, while Zeke and Olive work to support them all.  Since Ben sure isn't raking in anything but fleas.

Third episode in, and Ben is still whining that he can't trust the Callings because they aren't leading him straight to Eden.  Have the Callings ever led them directly to anything?  I'm already tired of them making it seem like Ben has made a breakthrough only to have him revert at the start of every episode.

I'm starting to remember the complete jumps in logic the characters make on this show.  All the Callings are in the black box?   Huh?  I don't get it.  Did all the Callings have a catch phrase that can be verbalized?  And then Cal said, if the Callings are on the black box, then we need to know exactly what happened at that moment on the flight.  Again, what?  

Then, there's the random plot conveniences like Olive suddenly connecting to Eden because of the chalk drawings in the ceilings?  Her connection to Cal when the plane disappeared made sense.  This doesn't.

It was nice to see Captain Daly again and Fiona.  So they were just chilling in the Light the whole time?  

Angelina is so despicable.  Hopefully Eden is smart enough to ditch her soon enough.

Oh great, that troublesome super genius in jail is going to play Ben like a violin, isn't he?

On 11/5/2022 at 2:35 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

Please no, not the peacock again from back in Season 1.

I have a link for we could all enjoy and learn from:  https://www.birdnote.org/listen/shows/peacocks-tail-more-meets-eye

Edited by Camera One
  • Useful 1
22 hours ago, Camera One said:

I'm starting to remember the complete jumps in logic the characters make on this show.  All the Callings are in the black box?   Huh?  I don't get it.  Did all the Callings have a catch phrase that can be verbalized?  And then Cal said, if the Callings are on the black box, then we need to know exactly what happened at that moment on the flight.  Again, what?  

Yeah, that really doesn't make sense. Many of the Callings were totally visual, they can't be on the black box recording. And I don't think it is possible that several years of Callings seen/heard by hundreds of people could be compressed into 6 seconds.

On 11/5/2022 at 4:15 PM, SoMuchTV said:

So... Cal in his calling/flashback/vision(?) on the plane said something like "I know how to save my mom now".  Are they going to undo Grace's murder?  I'd be okay with that, actually. 

The exact dialog:

• [DALY THE PILOT TO CAL IN CAL'S TAIL-TOUCHING VISION] Why go back?
  • [CAL] My mom. ( emotional music playing ) Something's happened to her. She's hurt.
  • [DALY] You can't save her. You know that.
  • [CAL] I need to go back for my family.
  • [DALY] But if you go, you'll forget everything you see, everything you now know.

Also, in the flashback to the original disappearance of 828, Daly, the pilot, tells Amuta, the copilot, that he (Daly) has never seen anything before like the bright light. 
But maybe he had seen it before and forgotten about it, but having seen it before (and experienced the sense of "peace" that it brought) caused him to turn into the light?

Going "into the light" is a well-worn metaphor for choosing death.

On 11/5/2022 at 4:15 PM, SoMuchTV said:

Well, I guess they've sucked me back into this.  I wasn't exactly hate-watching the original, it was more of a "what more ridiculous thing can happen" sort of attitude.  Now knowing this is the final season, I do want to see how they wrap this all up.

I was thinking of not watching this season but decided to give it a go because I've seen the other seasons, and because I happen to have Netflix access for now, and I'm home with a cold in stormy weather.
So.
I'm finding episodes 4.1-3 to be much more cohesive than La Brea.
And at least there's not any gratuitous violence, sex, etc., although Angelina’s emotional abuse of Eden seems to be escalating.🫣
And I would prefer they had not gone with the politicization of the 828ers, but that seems pretty baked into the show. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

Oh joy,  the 828ers are in purgatory a La Lost.  I didn’t like it in that show either

I thought Egan was stirring up trouble when he told Aidan to keep Angelina and Eden, but  the last scene made me rethink that.  Was he just telling Aidan that to ensure Eden would still be there when he told Ben where to find her? Guess I will find out in the next episodes. 

Michaela was indeed just teasing Drea about the coffee. Drea then asked her not to tell Jared that she(Michaela) had known about them the entire time.  

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Like 1
On 11/12/2022 at 9:23 PM, mythoughtis said:

Michaela was indeed just teasing Drea about the coffee. Drea then asked her not to tell Jared that she(Michaela) had known about them the entire time.  

I don't get why Jared doesn't want Michael to know he's dating Drea... The show makes it seems like they have been dating for a while. 

On 11/18/2022 at 8:03 PM, Fireball said:

I don't get why Jared doesn't want Michael to know he's dating Drea... The show makes it seems like they have been dating for a while. 

Maybe Jared thinks it would make things awkward? But obviously Drea and Michaela don't think so since they were joking about it.

Or Jared is still totally in love with Michaela and doesn't want her to know he's sleeping with someone else because he wants her to think he is still an option?

On 11/12/2022 at 8:37 AM, shapeshifter said:

Going "into the light" is a well-worn metaphor for choosing death.

About as much as a trope as 'collective consciousness'  sheez.  can't believe they saved angelina again. horrible character and bad actress.  and why did that lady want to kill michaela at the end?

On 11/29/2022 at 10:39 AM, jabRI said:

and why did that lady want to kill michaela at the end?

Am I missing a scene on Netflix, because I don’t remember this?

Also, they haven’t explained what happened to Beverly, right?