Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: The Weekend

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

It’s the Alaska State Fair and The Daily Alaskan team is covering every angle of this beloved annual event, including Gabriel who is excited for his first assigned story. When his reporting leads him somewhere unexpected, he rises to the occasion with Eileen’s support. Meanwhile, Eileen and Roz have very different weekends before reuniting to make more progress on their investigation.

Original airdate 10/27/22

Enjoyed this episode. The Genesis group is scary, especially in a remote place like Alaska. Gabriel did well on his first assignment. Nice to see these reporters not just in the office. Eileen is softening just the tiniest bit. The writing is good, the pace of the show is good,  the acting is good. Hopefully it will get another season. 

• Like 1
  • Love 7

Not my favorite episode. The cabbage competition turned eco-terrorist plot took the center stage.

It’s good to see Eileen mentoring Gabriel in finding “story”. She was so sure they got the story, ready to pull the trigger and about to make the same mistake that she did in her previous job. Thank god Stanley and Bob made the right call.

So, this week we got 2 new persons of interest in Gloria’s death - Ezra Fisher and Rega Horne.

*️⃣ I still think the poet pilot is the “concerned citizen”.

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, possibilities said:

Wouldn't she recognize his voice, though?

She would.

He sounded a bit like Joe Tippet. 😬

Spoiler

OMG. I just realised IMDb has listed an actor who plays CC. 😣

Edited by SnazzyDaisy

I liked this episode.  I think Eileen gave the new guy good advice.  

Why can’t Eileen tell when there’s enough confirmation  to publish a story?  She’s experienced and it’s pretty obvious.  Her boss seems to explain things well.  Why can’t she understand?  

This is one of the few network dramas that I really like.  That means it won’t get another season.  Probably follow the path of Stumptown.  

• Sad 1
  • Love 3

This episode was such a waste of time for me. So the biggest story of the state fair is a cabbage? And not just any cabbage, but the biggest cabbage? So how big was it, show, and why didn't we get to see it. A story that fantastic needed at least one photo of the massive cabbage.

Biggest pumpkin, that I would buy. It's a real competition at several state fairs. The writers for this episode reminded me of the writers of the X File movie that was all about corn being pollinated by bees ... except corn is self-pollinating, bees have nothing to do with it. No one bothered to check fair categories? Someone in the writer's room likes cole slaw? State fair biggest pig, biggest steer, biggest gourd, yes, but biggest CABBAGE is worth a lead front-page story? If that's worth the front page, then stand back for the EXTRA edition featuring a story about a piece of paper that blew across the street in downtown Anchorage.

• LOL 7
2 hours ago, PBnJay said:

This episode was such a waste of time for me. So the biggest story of the state fair is a cabbage? And not just any cabbage, but the biggest cabbage? So how big was it, show, and why didn't we get to see it. A story that fantastic needed at least one photo of the massive cabbage.

Biggest pumpkin, that I would buy. It's a real competition at several state fairs. The writers for this episode reminded me of the writers of the X File movie that was all about corn being pollinated by bees ... except corn is self-pollinating, bees have nothing to do with it. No one bothered to check fair categories? Someone in the writer's room likes cole slaw? State fair biggest pig, biggest steer, biggest gourd, yes, but biggest CABBAGE is worth a lead front-page story? If that's worth the front page, then stand back for the EXTRA edition featuring a story about a piece of paper that blew across the street in downtown Anchorage.

You did make me laugh, but I get your point. I just think they picked the most innocuous vehicle to send the kid out on his first story. And look what he stumbled upon…

• Like 5

I like Stanley and liked Gilbert this episode.  I am really enjoying this show.  I don't have a predisposition to loving, liking or hating Hilary Swank as an actress and I'm pleased to read here that she's a nice person with the fans.

• Love 2

Ah, the classic story that starts out about the biggest cabbage at the local state fair and ends with eco-terrorism!  Got to love journalism!

Nice seeing Gabriel get his first story, although I was surprised that it ended with them not being able to publish it.  I figured that was going to eventually happen at some point with these "stories of the week", but didn't expect it to happen so soon.  As least he got a promotion out of it!  Did take me a while to place Jason Jones as the would be terrorist: I'll always remember him first for his time as a "correspondent" on The Daily Show.

Got to respect Bob for taking his position as the judge of jams seriously.  You can't bribe him, dammit!

Is Pritchard being set-up as a possible love interest or will he use Eileen's panic attack against her, somehow?

Fun episode, but interesting that this one felt like the story of the week was the main plot this go around, while Eileen/Roz's case was put on the back burner somewhat.

• Like 1
  • Love 6

I was expecting the twist to be that Farmer Dad was actually using the chemical fertilizer on his giant "organic" cabbage.

I really like the show and I do like Hillary Swank a lot, as an actress and a person.

• Love 3

I enjoyed the episode.  It’s titled ‘The weekend’ and it’s episode description focuses on   the State Fair.  It’s not surprising then that we are getting cabbage contests, and rec  league games.   
Eileen didn’t  forget about the missing  women- she repeatedly glanced at their photos on the wall. She also respected  Roz and involved  her when the former  police chief called and requested a meeting. 
We also saw that the panic attacks couldn’t  be hidden any longer.  Interesting that this one was caused by a voice mail from the New York editor. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 7
On 10/31/2022 at 11:01 PM, mythoughtis said:

We also saw that the panic attacks couldn’t  be hidden any longer.  Interesting that this one was caused by a voice mail from the New York editor. 

I thought it was because she was in a confined, crowded place, like when she originally flew to Alaska.  I just assumed she's claustrophobic.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Leeds said:

I thought it was because she was in a confined, crowded place, like when she originally flew to Alaska.  I just assumed she's claustrophobic.

That’s certainly possible too.    I thought she started panicking a little before she got in the elevator- but her panic definitely increased while surrounded by the group of people  in the elevator. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 2

I suffered from panic attacks for a while many years ago.  I could get them anywhere….store, car, work, home……coffee seemed to trigger them, but was not the cause.   You really believe you’re dying.  I wonder if that’s really what she has.  

• Sad 1
  • Love 2

It's extremely rare to faint from a panic attack. I had them for a bit and it definitely feels like you're going to die (I was always convinced that I would pass out!) but your BP actually rises and its super super rare to actually faint so I'm definitely curious if she's really having panic attacks... 

• Like 3
On 11/6/2022 at 11:50 AM, Leeds said:

If that were the case, she would likely have had panic attacks multiple times a day while working at the paper in NYC! 

• Like 1