Type keyword(s) to search

Fandom and Viewer Issues: "Fan" Is Short for "Fanatic"

Emma
  • Start Topic

Emma seemed sane to me the day after Hook died so I'm going to assume Jens "she'd die without him." has more to do with who Emma is. She'll go on living and have her son, brother and parents but will feel like something is missing. Any adult without shipper hate goggles on can see that. They are using social justice as a way to prove their point but failing because you can see right through them. No one bat an eyelash that Regina spent 40+ yrs revenge on a child over a man. No one bat an eye at Snow choosing to stay with David in Neverland. Regina kicked Henry out of his own home because her boyfriend of 2 hours wife has come back to life. I can't take them seriously over something most people say but don't ever really mean.

Emma did not turn suicidal over Hook's death. It is ridiculous to interpret JMo's statement that way. This is a fairy tale show where people take risks based on hope, and believe in the power of love to redeem terrible situations. This is not a real world drama. Even in the real world, not wanting to live after the loss of a loved one is a natural reaction of grief for many people. It doesn't mean they are planning to kill themselves. Emma says in the finale that she is choosing to rescue Hook the right way by choosing Love. If she had not realized Rumple's betrayal, I'm sure Emma would have honored Hook's wishes. Rumple basically rendered Hook's sacrifice meaningless. It's as much a question of justice as of love. If A&E don't want people thinking Emma's love for Killian is epic, they wouldn't have shown her doing anything to keep him alive for several seasons now. I'm sure the same people complaining about JMo were the ones claiming Emma took on the Darkness to save Regina. Emma herself says that she thought she was going to die, and would never see Killian again, and that's why she's told him she loved him. Where was the furore then? These fans simply have it out for JMo.

• Love 3
(edited)

I interpreted her quote to mean that, given Emma's head space right now, she's willing to risk her life to save Hook. Not that she would kill herself if she's not able to. Just that she is desperate and will do whatever it takes - even at great risk to herself - just because he means that much to her. People love to pick every word apart and take everything so literally. It really sucks all the fun out of being in the fandom.

Edited by Kktjones
  • Love 6
(edited)

Kitsis and Horowitz are their own biggest fans and as such will always serve themselves first. They don't honor their vision, they honor their popularity. (Thus the Horowitz obsession with the pond scrum drama queens of Twitter)

To me they care more for appearing preciously clever and chaotically creative than they do for being true to their own characters.

While fandom extremists have always littered social media with bilious drek, A&E have always disrespected their characters in favor of serving themselves.

Edited by BoPeeps
  • Love 3
(edited)

I interpreted her quote to mean that, given Emma's head space right now, she's willing to risk her life to save Hook.

Also, I took it as a fairly typical spoken hyperbole. We all do that all the time. "I will kill somebody if I don't get my Diet Coke by 10 AM" is a sentence I say often. Am I going to kill somebody if I don't get my Diet Coke? Probably not, but what I mean to say is that I will be very, very cranky, and that's what everyone who hears it understands me to mean. Jen saying Emma would die without Hook is just that sort of statement to me. She doesn't mean that Emma would literally kill herself, she means that Emma would be emotionally devastated if Hook died.

And I don't think that makes her weak or an anti-feminist. Can you imagine what would happen to Hook if Emma died? Take what happened to him when Milah died, and multiply it by about a thousand. It would be epic emotional wreckage. And what would most viewers think about that? I'll tell you what they would think. They would think it was romantic, and that it proves how deeply and truly he loved her. So why, when a female character feels the same way about her lover's death, do some people think that makes her a fainting Victorian lady in a corset?

Edited by oliverwendell
  • Love 2

Yeah, there's a big difference between a pointless drama Romeo and Juliet style "if you're dead, I'm going to kill myself because I can't live without you" and weighing the risks and rewards of saving a loved one and deciding that the risk of death is worth the reward of saving him because living without him puts a lower value on staying alive instead of taking the risk.

Since in the real world, if your loved one is hauled away on a stretcher with a sheet over his face you can't do anything to save him, the better equivalent to "what would you do" might be if he'd been taken hostage by terrorists. Do you save yourself and give him up as lost, or do you lead a commando raid to attempt to rescue him, knowing that you could die and be unsuccessful, but that sounds better to you than going on without him and without trying to do anything?

Does anyone criticize Philip in the Disney Sleeping Beauty for risking his life to singlehandedly assault a fortress and attack a dragon to save a girl? Or what about Flynn in Tangled, who died for a girl? Why is it bad when it's the girl saving the boy?

• Love 7

Adam deleted a TON of posts from last night. He's constantly doing that -- which should be a flashing neon sign that his Twitter usage is not what it should be.

• Love 1

I think Adam realized he messed up and got caught up trying to prove the crazies wrong. When other fans was telling him how he basically threw his lead actor under the bus he deleted the post. He should do what Eddy does and not be on Twitter. Theirs a reason why Jennifer doesn't look at her twitter page as much.

You know what I do find funny? When Josh says something very pro Captain Swan (By using Snowing as an example no less.) I hear nothing but when Jen says the same thing in a different interview it's as if she admitted she was going to vote for Donald Trump or something.

• Love 1

I agree with all of you. Clearly, JMo meant "she would rather risk dying [by trying to save him] than live without him." But of course people need to jump on every little thing just as an excuse to bash her.

• Love 1
(edited)

Exactly. The whole thing was that Emma found out there is a way to save her love but it will involve risking her own life, and if it's a choice between dying in an attempt to save him or living while knowing that he can be saved, she'd rather die.

Edited by Mathius

When Josh says something very pro Captain Swan (By using Snowing as an example no less.) I hear nothing but when Jen says the same thing in a different interview it's as if she admitted she was going to vote for Donald Trump or something.

I believe you mean Donald Drumpf. ;) It's ironic that most of the people who attack Jen's opinion supposedly include her as half of their favorite ship. It's bizarre to scroll through Twitter comments and then notice an Emma Swan avatar, but then that person with the Emma avatar relentlessly yells at Jen for not sharing their opinion. But maybe Emma Swan isn't actually your favorite character if you vehemently disagree with Jen all the time...

• Love 3

But maybe Emma Swan isn't actually your favorite character if you vehemently disagree with Jen all the time...

They think JMo's interpretation is wrong. They have this bizzaro-version of Emma in their head, and they get angry and throw a tantrum when the actor playing the character doesn't agree with them.  

• Love 1

Or Adam and Eddy forgot what they wrote. Did we or did we not just see Emma risk turning dark to keep Killian alive? lol You know what maybe this is why half of the fandom are the way they are. I'm blaming Adam mostly for this because sometimes Eddy shuts down things like Regina being the savior or Hook turning Dark (he turned Dark because Emma made him.) just because his girlfriend did.

Last night I tweeted Adam about how I was disappointed to hear the 100th isn't an ensemble. He responded, but then other fans started tweeting me and one of them was pretty aggressive and started ranting about "Capt. Rapist". I wanted to tell him that his tweets are far more triggering/problematic/threatening than anything in OUAT could ever be. But then I really didn't want to get into it and have him start attacking me even more. So I settled for blocking him. It's shocking that he's supposedly this great defender of women's rights, yet that's how he talks to women. And I won't even get into the hypocrisy of him not having a problem with Regina raping Graham. Sigh.

• Love 2

Adam replied "IMO, many moments to shine for many characters. Hope you enjoy it". I do appreciate when he takes the time to respond. Even though all his replies are the same old thing, at least I can be satisfied knowing that he saw my criticism :)

• Love 3

I bet I know perfectly who was the person ranting at you.

I've definitely seem him in Adam's feed plenty of times before. He also reminds me of another user who used to tweet Adam all the time until (I think) Adam blocked him, so maybe it's the same person. He assumes that all Captain Hook fans are teenage girls but then still attacks them. If I were a teenager, his tweets might legitimately scare me. My hope is that whenever Adam sees those tweets, it dawns on him that maybe he should do the exact opposite of what that kind of person says to do.

Maybe instead of arguing against an actor's interpretation, Adam should simply reply that everyone has their own interpretation of what they see and that's what makes it so much fun. Someone from PR needs to provide some training for showrunners so that unfortunate things like this don't happen. They can also teach Adam that fans "reporting" on certain statements from actors are removed from context or twisted to fit the needs of their argument, so responding to their comments makes him look like an idiot in addition to making him into a jerk who throws his actors under the bus.

• Love 2

The Captain Swan fans are fighting each other because (I'm going to spoiler tag this just to be safe.) apparently

Eddy said their wont be a wedding. So some are happy about that while others are sad that their wont be a Captain Swan wedding.

(edited)

The Captain Swan fans are fighting each other because (I'm going to spoiler tag this just to be safe.) apparently

Eddy said their wont be a wedding. So some are happy about that while others are sad that their wont be a Captain Swan wedding.

It's basically just one person who had some very strong opinions on the matter and went on a rant shaming people. People were offended, and blah blah blah

Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 1

It's silly, everyone has different ideas of what a happy ending should be but this is a fairy tale show and marriage could very well be a part of Emma's happy ending.

Considering she told Hook, she was in love, of course she was considering it. The "of course" indicates to me that marriage is part of Emma's happy ending in her mind and we need to let the characters have their happy endings based on their canon desires not our fanon desires.

• Love 1
(edited)

I think some people are projecting their resentment onto other things. Some people have a way of sucking the joy out of things. TV show with happy endings. I'm thinking marriage and babies is where it's headed for most of the characters anyway by the end of the series.

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Love 2

Yeah. It's... offputting, to say the least, because a lot of the discourse has been "You silly women have been brainwashed by the patriarchy and you think marriage is the only purpose of life! And you probably hate Henry because his parents weren't married, too!".

They are purposefully misrepresenting the positions of people who are like "yay, I want my favourite couple from my favourite Disney show to get married!" to "Marriage is the only valid relationship, ever.". Nobody is saying the latter, but people can't be like "I dislike the thing you like" anymore. They HAVE to say "I dislike the thing you like because it's MORALLY WRONG, and you are SEXIST and HOMOPHOBIC for liking it." Then they get surprised and defensive when people don't take kindly to being called stupid, silly girl who don't know better.

• Love 6

This reminds me of the dress-gate. For whatever reason Emma wearing a dress meant she was no longer badass or Hook forced her to when all he told her was be ready for the date SHE asked him to. I won't be shocked if she asks him to marry her someday.

• Love 2

I've been too distracted by the absolute meltdown of the 100 fandom (deserved in that case, IMO) to notice any of this nonsense, and now it looks like the worst has passed.  People just need to let other people have their fun when it comes to what they hope to see and what they think they'll see.  If they're wrong, if they don't get what they were hoping for, oh well.  

I've seen (on the outside, I don't watch that show) the 100 fandom metldowns. As for Arrow, I'm pretty sure the worst is yet to come!

What is the arrow fandom having a cow about?

(edited)

What is the arrow fandom having a cow about?

The season started with a flashforward that revealed someone dies. Some spoilers (from our friend, the oh-so-charming Canadagraphs! And other Canadian paps) revealed who it is. So the spoiled part of the fandom is having a cow... the non-spoiled part will be having one when the episode airs!

Think the Once fandom when A&E spoiled during S3 that someone would die! Some people rejoicing, some tearing their hair out, usual stuff ;)

Edited by Serena

But I don't think anyone @ Michael saying they are happy he got fired like they are doing on Arrow. Nor do I think anyone blamed Colin for Michael losing his job like I'm seeing with the Arrow fandom. Sometimes OUAT is the sanest of them all.

(edited)

Now I'm just curious to know who died on Arrow. If someone wants to spoil me, go ahead.

One of the worst things with Once is the hiatus when fandom starts eating everyone and their babies, and then developing anxiety. 

Edited by YaddaYadda

That's what I mean. People didn't directly tell Colin he's the reason why Michael was fired but their were people who still say it to this day but on Arrow

I've seen some angry Katie fans directly tweet to Emily about Katie losing her job when they should be angry at the writers. In the same way their are people tweeting at Katie about celebrating her losing her job.

The things I've seen the Once fandom do is take things to far like when fans question JMo about her sexuality or when fans tweet manips of the actors naked or whatever.

The 100 and the Arrow fandom are battling it out for worse fandom right now. I'm sure OUAT will get that crown after the next episode airs.

I don't watch OUAT anymore, but it's the worst fandom by far. But the writers of all three shows suck in different ways, though.

• Love 1

I mean, I've just read that people in the 100 fandom are claiming that a friend committed suicide because of the latest twist, in a petition to remove the showrunner. So. There's that.

• Love 2

I mean, I've just read that people in the 100 fandom are claiming that a friend committed suicide because of the latest twist, in a petition to remove the showrunner. So. There's that.

Oh holy hell. It would be awful if that were true -- awful -- but something tells me it either isn't true or is being exaggerated. I just... oh fandom. Why do you always have to be such a fucking mess.

• Love 1
(edited)

Well Jen just posted a pic with Colin and said Emma is going to the underworld to save her man. So, cue the once fandom getting an early start on their meltdown in 3...2...1.

It doesn't take much for people to go after her.

Edited by Stuffy
  • Love 1