Type keyword(s) to search

Creed III (2023)

BetterButter
  • Start Topic

F that. I'm in. But I think Adonis should lose here. He's about to fight the manifestation of Mike Tyson in his prime. He should take that L. And this side of the franchise continues to give black people the shine in blockbuster non oppressive, non super hero ways. Bring it on. The Rocky franchise has shown now they can pivot focus and still be engaging. They are working on a movie where son of Drago is the focus too. Again, bring it on.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
On 10/18/2022 at 4:28 PM, benteen said:

It doesn't look bad but I feel like Creed II wrapped up Donnie's story.

There's this big plot whole with Donnie's older half-siblings that have never been mentioned or seen in the Creed series so far. Like, what happened? Did they both die? Are they estranged? Why didn't they show up when Donnie had his daughter? 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Racj82 said:

F that. I'm in. But I think Adonis should lose here. He's about to fight the manifestation of Mike Tyson in his prime. He should take that L. And this side of the franchise continues to give black people the shine in blockbuster non oppressive, non super hero ways. Bring it on. The Rocky franchise has shown now they can pivot focus and still be engaging. They are working on a movie where son of Drago is the focus too. Again, bring it on.

If they follow the Rocky III route then he'll lose the first bout against his stronger, hungrier opponent before montaging his way through training and winning the rematch.  Of course, they kind of did that in Creed II, so who knows if they'll run it back.  It also makes me wonder where he'll train this time.  In the first movie it was the streets of Philly, then in the second he went to the desert.  Rocky already did the snowy north, so what's left?  A jungle?

Edited by cambridgeguy
  • LOL 1

A few quotes from MBJ here: https://ew.com/movies/michael-b-jordan-directing-advice-ryan-coogler-denzel-washington-creed-3/

"Talking to a lot of directors that have been through this before really gave me a good idea of what these experiences were going to be," Jordan said. "So I leaned on those conversations and that advice. I just got finished working with Denzel right before this project. So I had that wisdom and support that was there. It really helped me out a lot during prep, taking it a day at a time but also always planning 10 steps ahead."

• Love 1

I rewatched Creed 1 and 2 to prepare for this, so I was surprised to see the former antagonists in this movie.  It was good to see that there's no ill-will between the guys.  I cringed at what happened to Drago, and I suspected that Dame had something to do with it.  I thought he hired someone to beat Drago up, but didn't think it was a prison buddy of his.

I liked this movie and seeing Donnie and Bianca move on to the next phase of their careers.  It's sad that Bianca can't sing anymore, but she handled her next phase with grace.  Unlike Dame.  It's terrible that he spent almost 20 years in prison and his dream passed him by, but the criminal and unsportsmanlike-like behavior he showed during the movie makes me wonder if he'll wind back up in prison.

I'm glad they mentioned Mary Anne's other children, since they weren't mentioned before.  I wish they would have been shown at her funeral.  I was afraid that Donnie and Bianca would end up separated because of all the secrets he was carrying, but I'm glad it didn't go that route.

I hope this is the last movie about Creed, so it will end on a high note.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

How old was Amara here? She was born in 2018 so she’s about 5 but seemed 7-8 in the movie? Agree the actress was awesome. I liked that they incorporated ASL, when we saw her at the end of Creed II she had a hearing aid on but I guess they got rid of it. 

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I was happy it didn’t just end at the fight and we saw them somewhat reconcile at the end. They never explained who Dame was clasping hands with in that prison picture? Couldn’t have been Leon so what was the significance and why did that make Donny know he was being played ??

Overall a nice addition to the Creed series  

Edit - I just realized the guy that Dame was clasping hands with is the person who attacked Drago..

Edited by bluvelvet
  • Like 2
On 3/26/2023 at 1:40 PM, bluvelvet said:

How old was Amara here? She was born in 2018 so she’s about 5 but seemed 7-8 in the movie? Agree the actress was awesome. I liked that they incorporated ASL, when we saw her at the end of Creed II she had a hearing aid on but I guess they got rid of it. 

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I was happy it didn’t just end at the fight and we saw them somewhat reconcile at the end. They never explained who Dame was clasping hands with in that prison picture? Couldn’t have been Leon so what was the significance and why did that make Donny know he was being played ??

Overall a nice addition to the Creed series  

Edit - I just realized the guy that Dame was clasping hands with is the person who attacked Drago..

It's funny to me how many had a hard time catching the set up did. I don't mean that as judgment. It's just something was super telegraphed. Including Dame clearly looking and waiting for the guy to enter and attack. I didn't even to pay attention to the face in the news story which was supposed to be the give away. It was not so subtlety laid out during the scene of the attack

Finally saw it and glad I waited to see if on Prime than spending an arm and leg at the theatre.

Creed I & II were WAY better.  The whole feud was meh and the guilt Donny had was ridiculous.

So Maryann had 2 other kids but we never saw them at all during 1 or 2 and they didn't even attend her funeral ?  And she seems super close to Amara but the other kids have no children of their own?  I honestly thought that Maryann was childless and adopted Donny not only because he was Apollo's son but also because it gave her a chance to be a mother.

The only thing that was decent was seeing Drago again and Amara. Before they do an Amara movie they NEED to do a stand alone Drago movie.  

• Like 1

It was hard to watch Jonathan Majors objectively because…well, you know. But I thought it was okay. Michael B. Jordan is no slouch at directing.

LOL at him dressing up in the dinosaur outfit for Amara’s tea party.

• Like 1

Finally caught this on Prime and I enjoyed it. However, I am glad I didn't pay to see it. The first two Creed movies were so much better. I always thought it was odd that Maryann's children didn't appear in the other movies because I knew from the Rocky movies that she had at least two children. I also thought it was odd that there was no mention of Rocky at all in this film.  It was nice seeing Victor Drago again and little Amara was great! I'm beginning to wonder if Jonathan Majors is really a good actor or if he's just playing himself as his characters seem pretty much the same. I knew he was playing Adonis from the first meeting at the gym, I was shouting at the screen, "let him walk away, do not invite him to your home". I'm glad to end the Creed movies here if that's the plan.

• Like 2
(edited)

One more thing: it bothered me that Dame didn’t get any consequences for arranging that assault on Drago. He basically got away with cheating his way into the championship albeit temporarily.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 1
On 6/10/2023 at 6:55 AM, jah1986 said:

I always thought it was odd that Maryann's children didn't appear in the other movies because I knew from the Rocky movies that she had at least two children. I also thought it was odd that there was no mention of Rocky at all in this film.

It was really strange since Adonis called out to his mother about her other kids earlier in saying that Dame was his real brother. However as a promoter when he had to shift to Dame from Drago among the arguments made to Duke was that Apollo Creed gave an unranked Rocky a shot

(edited)
On 6/11/2023 at 6:37 PM, Raja said:

It was really strange since Adonis called out to his mother about her other kids earlier in saying that Dame was his real brother. However as a promoter when he had to shift to Dame from Drago among the arguments made to Duke was that Apollo Creed gave an unranked Rocky a shot

I really wonder if there's some kind of legal issue as to why they can't show Maryann's two kids with Apollo because it just didn't make any sense to me once we got to Maryann dying. I know there's some disputing going on between Sylvester Stallone and the franchise rights owner and I have to wonder if the lack of Maryann's biological children is one of the results.

It's possible they got asked a massive royalty in order to show the siblings and Jordan didn't feel like they needed to do that in order for the movie to work. Or the owners got petty and refused to allow permission to show the brother and sister even just once.

It also makes sense why they killed off Maryann because that's pretty much the last tie to the OG Rocky franchise and so they're now free and clear.

Edited by methodwriter85
7 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I really wonder if there's some kind of legal issue as to why they can't show Maryann's two kids with Apollo because it just didn't make any sense to me once we got to Maryann dying. I know there's some disputing going on between Sylvester Stallone and the franchise rights owner and I have to wonder if the lack of Maryann's biological children is one of the results.

It's possible they got asked a massive royalty in order to show the siblings and Jordan didn't feel like they needed to do that in order for the movie to work. Or the owners got petty and refused to allow permission to show the brother and sister even just once.

It also makes sense why they killed off Maryann because that's pretty much the last tie to the OG Rocky franchise and so they're now free and clear.

Could be, I have heard of that when talking about characters first introduced on TV, even characters from  books, that due to part of the settlement from a previous strike   the initial TV writer owns a share when the character moves to another show or movie. While not a massive cost  like music in DVD sets the producers don't want to pay just as a matter of policy. So for example on the Magnum PI reboot all of the old reoccurring characters were introduced to be quickly  exiled from the islands

(edited)
2 hours ago, Raja said:

Could be, I have heard of that when talking about characters first introduced on TV, even characters from  books, that due to part of the settlement from a previous strike   the initial TV writer owns a share when the character moves to another show or movie. While not a massive cost  like music in DVD sets the producers don't want to pay just as a matter of policy. So for example on the Magnum PI reboot all of the old reoccurring characters were introduced to be quickly  exiled from the islands

It does make sense that Jordan didn't want to pay royalties for characters just for a short cameo, even though it makes the characters look horrible for not coming to their mother's funeral. As a present day soap opera watcher they deal with that type of stuff constantly where characters don't show up to things they should be showing up for, mainly because it's an expense that soaps really can't afford these days.

It also makes sense that he didn't kill them off in case (which was honestly what I thought happened- I thought her kids died and that prompted Maryann to get Adonis) there's ever a mothership Rocky movie that wants to use the brother and sister.

Edited by methodwriter85

All three Creed movies were great in my opinion. Rocky into Creed has a crazy amount of quality movies within it.

My only issue with the rivalry was parts being rushed. Like Dame didn't just become rich overnight. We skip time and skip his time as champ as a result. It's black panther syndrome. I've long since felt that the first Panther movie should of ended with TChala defeated and Killmonger burning the herbs. Killmonger suffers because of rushed third act. Dame does as well. Still a really good movie. This series has the goods.

• Like 1
On 6/10/2023 at 7:55 AM, Spartan Girl said:

One more thing: it bothered me that Dame didn’t get any consequences for arranging that assault on Drago. He basically got away with cheating his way into the championship albeit temporarily.

It plays as if Dame prepaid his debt in the 18 years he served for protecting Donnie as a youth. So they don't tell us what happened in prison to move a gun charge to a longer than many murderers serve as his punishment. So the two that were already too old to continue boxing now carry the honorarium of "Champ". And the punishment will be limited to Dame losing to the Hall of Fame champ