Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E06: Halloween Week

• Start Topic

18 hours ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

I don't usually critique GBBO's takes on their baking challenges very harshly, because I am a fan of the wholesomeness and good vibes from the show and tend to enjoy it all, but this article did make me laugh out loud.  I'm now going to read more from Outdoor Magazine!!

They totally captured the description of these monstrosities: This week, it was the United States’ turn, as the judges asked the bakers to create a bizarre take on s’mores that looked like the love child of an ice cream sandwich, a hockey puck, and the Devil.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

I like Sandro, and his showstopper looked amazing, but why was there not more criticism about the fact that there was no baked element in the shell?  He just made chocolate and cooled it and stuck on some chocolate skulls.  Seemed like cheating, he didn't have to deal with the challenges of assembling the baked pieces as much as the others did.  Also, Prue complained that his baked treats were way too big for his shell.

On 10/21/2022 at 10:05 PM, bugsmum said:

Those were the fussiest s'mores I've ever seen.  I'm not opposed to stepping up the ingredients.  I've made s'mores with homemade marshmallows (honestly, homemade ruins you for the store bought kind) and dark chocolate that tastes a lot better than Hersheys.  I've even contemplated making the graham crackers but haven't tried it yet.  And those had WAY too much marshmallow.  Also gently browning the marshmallows with a torch doesn't compare to roasting them over an actual fire.  

I was hoping Kevin would stay over Dawn simply for his sense of humor.  

On 10/22/2022 at 7:05 AM, LilyP said:

My husband has gotten to enjoy watching this with me and even he, a non baker, scoffed at the s'more's challenge. The end product reminded me of an upscale restaurant's interpretation of a basic recipe that they fancied up so they could charge you more money. Reading comments about homemade marshmallows made me want to try making them. That's a plus.

I agree that the smores were too fancy, they did look to me like really big ice cream sandwiches.  Why so much marshmallow?  Smores are supposed to be simple comfort food.  They're so easy you can even microwave the marshmallow in the microwave and just assemble a few squares of Hershey's chocolate with graham crackers.

I would have enjoyed it more if they had said "we want you to make a fancy version of smores that showcases your skills in making biscuits, marshmallow, and chocolate ganache".  

On 10/23/2022 at 8:29 AM, Rickster said:

I will confess that I have found Noel and Matt very tolerable this season compared to the past, or maybe I have been beaten into submission.

On 10/23/2022 at 10:20 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

Individually with the bakers, they're doing fine, but there isn't a single "bit" they do together that I find the least bit funny. 

I find them intolerable.  I especially hate their stupid bits (which seems to happen every episode) where one of them is supposed to announce the time, "oh you go ahead, it's your turn", "oh no, please you", "oh ok I will go ahead", and then the other one announces it.  Truly not funny in the least.

Why are there two of them?  Why do we need two of them?  I would prefer if there was only one host.  Then it would get rid of the stupid non-funny "comedy" bits.  There is plenty of time over the course of a two or four hour bake to have a single host walk around and talk to all of the contestants.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, blackwing said:

Why are there two of them?  Why do we need two of them?  I would prefer if there was only one host.  Then it would get rid of the stupid non-funny "comedy" bits.  There is plenty of time over the course of a two or four hour bake to have a single host walk around and talk to all of the contestants.

I couldn't agree more.  Their very repetitious bits are never funny.  The only thing they ever did that I liked was the Star Wars parody with Paul as Darth Baker and the other Star Wars puns.

Even worse than the so-called comedy is the constant interference and distractions with the challengers.  They should be able to tell when they are bothering the bakers rather than occasionally relieving the tension.

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
38 minutes ago, Suzn said:

Even worse than the so-called comedy is the constant interference and distractions with the challengers.  They should be able to tell when they are bothering the bakers rather than occasionally relieving the tension.

I absolutely cringe anytime they are onscreen.  Both of them are unwatchable and the skits and gags are just ridiculous.  Noel was spouting gibberish in the last episode which made it so much worse.  They need to go.

• Love 2

When Kevin said "As a (x)" he wasn't allowed to dress up as anything scary, then repeated it about his friend...I had to pull up CC to see what the (x) was. The answer? Christian! I assumed it was religious but expected specific denomination or faith, not just "a Christian". Because while some families/churches have issues with Halloween, most of the folks I know do not have any religious objections to dressing as a zombie.

9 minutes ago, snarktini said:

When Kevin said "As a (x)" he wasn't allowed to dress up as anything scary, then repeated it about his friend...I had to pull up CC to see what the (x) was. The answer? Christian! I assumed it was religious but expected specific denomination or faith, not just "a Christian". Because while some families/churches have issues with Halloween, most of the folks I know do not have any religious objections to dressing as a zombie.

The word “Christian” was bleeped in yours? I didn’t have that at all.

31 minutes ago, sharifa70 said:

The word “Christian” was bleeped in yours? I didn’t have that at all.

I wrote that unclearly, sorry! It wasn't bleeped, I just literally couldn't understand what he was saying! I'm usually good with accents but this one word was getting by me.

8 hours ago, blackwing said:

They're so easy you can even microwave the marshmallow in the microwave and just assemble a few squares of Hershey's chocolate with graham crackers.

My ex loved s'mores, so as an apartment-dweller in those years, I can attest that you can properly toast a marshmallow speared on a fork and held over a lit gas stove burner or even a hot electric coil burner. You’re only out of luck with a ceramic/glass top of induction unit.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, caitmcg said:

My ex loved s'mores, so as an apartment-dweller in those years, I can attest that you can properly toast a marshmallow speared on a fork and held over a lit gas stove burner or even a hot electric coil burner. You’re only out of luck with a ceramic/glass top of induction unit.

I would feel remiss if I didn't step up here to preach the gospel of the toaster oven smores.  Nine chocolate chips per Graham cracker half, with mini marshmallows perched in between.

Maybe once a decade I find myself with all the ingredients in the house at once, but it is a magical moment! 

• Wink 1
  • Love 4
On 11/7/2022 at 10:01 PM, ombre said:

I would feel remiss if I didn't step up here to preach the gospel of the toaster oven smores.  Nine chocolate chips per Graham cracker half, with mini marshmallows perched in between.

How long do you cook them?

I’ve tried toasting marshmallows with a kitchen torch, but I can’t get it to work very well. I’ve had better results with marshmallow fluff. 

43 minutes ago, MagicEyes said:

How long do you cook them?

I’ve tried toasting marshmallows with a kitchen torch, but I can’t get it to work very well. I’ve had better results with marshmallow fluff. 

It's a highly scientific process. I stare at them ravenously through the glass door smelling the caramelisation and cheering on the gradual spread of the crinkly bubbly browning until I can take it no longer. 

Edited by ombre
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 6

Just watched (don't judge me!) One Delicious Christmas - one of the Food Network tie-in Christmas movies on Discovery+ .

Came here to share that the resolution of the plot in this holiday food romance revolves around the love of the classic s'more .

Edited by kirklandia
  • LOL 2