Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E02: Daddy Issues

thewhiteowl
  • Start Topic

I’m glad McGee realized he was being a snob and not hanging out with the other dads. I’m also surprised Peter Porte wasn’t the bad guy since I instantly recognized him and thought “ooh he’s the shady one.” Entertaining case.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, twoods said:

I’m glad McGee realized he was being a snob and not hanging out with the other dads. I’m also surprised Peter Porte wasn’t the bad guy since I instantly recognized him and thought “ooh he’s the shady one.” Entertaining case.

Oh yeah, good fakeout with Peter Porte who's the most famous guest star (from Hallmark and soap opera). Nice to mix in this literally cheesy episode amidst the more dramatic character-angst ones.

Something small is bugging me. The pre-season hype trailer had Parker saying "they're not just my team, they're my family". But in this episode, Parker simply told chatty Carter "if my SUV got blown up, I'd be thinking more about MY FAMILY". It's definitely the same scene, based on Parker's grey suit and hair parting style.

Why did the trailer deceive us and have Gary Cole record a separate line about "they're not just my team, they're my family"?

(Timestamped video here: 1min 19seconds)

That was entertaining with some good red herrings. For a moment I thought Brian Thomas Smith was able to escape being typecast as dimwitted but lovable bro and would turn out to be the evil mastermind - alas it was not to be.

I enjoyed Knight's cheesy puns *showing myself out*

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3

Enjoyed the ep but had a few quibbles. Who just opens a barrel found in a government warehouse? I thought it was going to be toxic waste. And if they really thought preppy dad Owen was the killer, why wasn't there backup for McGee at the house?

The scene at the funeral parlor was a bit much but nice to see Jimmy and Knight together. Lol at them "rubbing off" on each other.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Enjoyable light episode. 

A few quibbles, besides the opening-the-barrel thing.  There is no way that one father would be responsible for such a huge fundraising campaign by himself.  How on earth did he raise $250K off events like bake sales and car washes?  And are they implying he also did all those events by himself?  If so, no way.  But if not, then it would seem like there would have been people at those that he could recruit to co-chair with him.

There is no way that Tim, whose job is as an agent, would have basically no memory of the guy when he was approached in the car dropoff lane.

Finally, since this takes place in the DC area, where I am, I have a very hard time believing that people Tim encounters (and that Vance had) are so enthralled by their agency jobs that they want to talk about such matters so much.

On 9/27/2022 at 12:34 PM, Poohpoohpooh said:

Why did the trailer deceive us and have Gary Cole record a separate line about "they're not just my team, they're my family"?

My guess is that since many scenes take place in interrogation, that he is wearing that suit on another occasion when he will say the quoted line.

• Love 2

They did the actual killer the way I wish shows like this would every time. In NCIS and similar shows it's always one of the first 2 people the cops interrogate, because the writers are hoping you'll have forgotten who they are by the time they reach the last 5-10 minutes of the episode when they actually reveal who the killer is.

This was much better. Instead of it being someone the team interrogates at all, it's some random guy we see in the background that the audience probably doesn't even notice. This is the first time in a long time I haven't predicted who it was immediately.

1 hour ago, immortalfrieza said:

They did the actual killer the way I wish shows like this would every time. In NCIS and similar shows it's always one of the first 2 people the cops interrogate, because the writers are hoping you'll have forgotten who they are by the time they reach the last 5-10 minutes of the episode when they actually reveal who the killer is.

This was much better. Instead of it being someone the team interrogates at all, it's some random guy we see in the background that the audience probably doesn't even notice. This is the first time in a long time I haven't predicted who it was immediately.

They've done this "background character is killer" trope before. S18 I think? (Gibbs, Bishop, Jack Sloane were in the episode). Serial killer goes dormant, resurfaces after many years. This killer keeps teeth of the victims. Ncis has teeth mailed anonymously to them, they suspect a guy. Turns of killer is his wife who was a "background silent character".

Showrunner Steve Binder said this season will focus on characters.

Ep 1 (Raven conclusion): Parker acting dramatic like his The Good Fight character lol.

Ep2 (cheese) = this is definitely a McGes ep (he deserves it).

Ep 3 (no spoilers) looks to be a Torrezzz " continuation of his issues" episode.

Ep 4 (no spoilers), reportedly Knight and Jimmy's turn.

I'm not a fan of this formulaic rotation as I'm here for Parker.

2 very eye rolling moments:

1)  opening the barrel as previously listed,  and  2) we’re supposed to believe that the genius programmer dad thinks it’s safe to use public wifi if there are no people around😳, that’s technology for dummies 101!!  Come on writers!!!

I knew it was Juice Guy immediately, he looked so out of place there ( and a little scary)

• Love 2
On 9/27/2022 at 10:29 AM, twoods said:

I liked this episode a lot. But I don't think of McGee as a snob, just awkward. He always has been. At work, he's awkward but revered because he's so smart and he's gotten really close to his team. But I was kinda sad for him when he overheard what the other dads were saying about him. They don't know him. 

• Like 1