Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Prisoners Dilemma

thewhiteowl
  • Start Topic

I was creating a thread at the same time and have reported it as a duplicate.

A continuation of the motherships' last season's cliffhanger and season premiere as the criminal mastermind escaped prisoner travels to Hawai'i with the two junior agents from Washington making a return trip in pursuit.

It did feel like the mother show in execution with their tech team interacting for the first half of the show. It had the same happy music soundtrack in the background  as we looked for ways to stop the mastermind with his nerve gas bombs and minions who have followed him despite being in prison for 10 years. And they missed the Hawai'i touches like "Special Agent in Charge" Tennant while teasing that Agent Torres  and the TNT from the previous crossover were more than friends and he wants more benefits.

I don't know if Sharif Atkins was just not available because he was mentioned leading other teams in the greater plan of action but Bam Bam substituted in for Boom Boom. And how many times a TV season does a show need a bomb disposal tech?

The weirdest part was the extras, the Marines and cops break into a bar and everybody just stands there. At the end two agents go hand to hand with two minions and off to the side it looks like people standing at attention far away from the action. These days without pushing in holding their cellphones up or running away should bullets start flying

That episode was a little weird.  I hope it was just because of the crossover, and we can be back to our regular show.  I'm not a huge fan of Wilmer Valderrama or Nick Torres so I didn't like him horning in on the Hawaii bunch.  I especially didn't like Tennant being so non-Tennant-like when she didn't slap Torres down like she should and cut off his obnoxious behavior.  Instead she tolerated him, maybe even seemed to be flattered.  This is not the "I know what I want, and I have no time or patience for juvenile macho games" Tennant we knew from last season.  We know she's patient with her team, but I don't see her holding a lot of patience for someone like Torres.

Ernie came off a little creepy with his obsession with Knight as well.  Ernie is an odd character, socially awkward and all that, but usually he's not so pushy.  He's eager and misses cues, but seldom so.....borderline creepy.  I like that Palmer and Knight are a little more open about their relationship, I love how proud she seemed of him when he was actively participating in the investigation and doing the techie back and forth with the Hawaii team.

• Love 5

Wait, Boom Boom has been replaced by the uptight Bam Bam??! Nooooooooo!

Does Kate Whistler have to be involved in every cases? 🙄

I stopped watching NCIS after Gibb left, so I only watched half of this crossover. Maybe that’s why I found the COTW was meh. Then they have Olivia Benson’s brother as the bad guy. So hmm. No more crossover and no more Wilmer Valderrama please. Looking forward for the regular episode.

I don’t know that Jimmy/Jessica is the latest ship. Weird. 😬

I am not a regular viewer of NCIS but watched it because they promised more of a crossover than the one we had last season, which barely crossed over.  While it was helpful, I was still a bit lost since I didn't see the NCIS finale so I didn't understand why the Gary Cole character (who looks like he could be the brother of Michael Douglas) was suspended or why that guy hated him.

For the Hawaii episode, I wish there was more focus on our team, I feel like Jesse and Kai got the shaft.

2 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

That episode was a little weird.  I hope it was just because of the crossover, and we can be back to our regular show.  I'm not a huge fan of Wilmer Valderrama or Nick Torres so I didn't like him horning in on the Hawaii bunch.  I especially didn't like Tennant being so non-Tennant-like when she didn't slap Torres down like she should and cut off his obnoxious behavior.  Instead she tolerated him, maybe even seemed to be flattered.  This is not the "I know what I want, and I have no time or patience for juvenile macho games" Tennant we knew from last season.  We know she's patient with her team, but I don't see her holding a lot of patience for someone like Torres.

Ernie came off a little creepy with his obsession with Knight as well.  Ernie is an odd character, socially awkward and all that, but usually he's not so pushy.  He's eager and misses cues, but seldom so.....borderline creepy.  I like that Palmer and Knight are a little more open about their relationship, I love how proud she seemed of him when he was actively participating in the investigation and doing the techie back and forth with the Hawaii team.

I truly cannot stand Wilmer Valderrama.  I remember thinking with the last crossover, but how is it that this guy can make a living as an actor?  Monotone voice, dead eye glazed stare, so incredibly boring.  And his thicker Hispanic accent only seems to occasionally comes out, otherwise it's all monotone.  

Didn't care for the reminder of the ages-ago hookup or whatever it was that was referenced repeatedly in the last crossover, didn't care for the constant flirting/banter here.  And did she actually invite him to the island anytime?  What happened to Commander Melius?  Please bring him back instead.

I also don't understand what was going on with Ernie.  He was definitely creepy.  Once he became aware she was with the coroner guy from her team, he still continued the creep.

I don't mind the Whistler/Lucy relationship, but if it's going to be a major focus of every episode, then I will start minding it.  Didn't really see why we needed to be reminded not once, not twice, but at least three times that these two are sleeping together.  Breakfast in bed, their talk about their romance needing to calm Ernie down so he can work, and then the odd extended kissing scene on the couch.  This is not a show that needs to focus on romance.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Agree with what others have said.  The episode suffered by being a wrap of of what started on the other show.  The Hawaii cast came off like guest stars in their own show.  I haven't watched the original is a very long time but did watch since it was a crossover.  If I hadn't, this episode would have seemed even stranger as a Hawaii episode.  I'm still confused though.   Isn't Jimmy married?  Why is (apparently) having sex in the office with a coworker?  

Please just stop with the Lucy/Whistler crap already.   I kind of like Whistler...until she gets around Lucy.  Then she starts to act like some wimpy, lover-starved loser grateful for any affection Lucy decides to toss her...no matter how immature, petty, manipulative or stalkery Lucy acts.  Seriously, who the fuck cooks enough food to populate the morning buffet on the lanai at the Honolulu Hilton for two people?   What, does she want to fatten Whistler up before she stuffs and mounts her?   For a trained FBI agent, she's missing a hell of a lot of red flags.  Ernie ain't the only creepy one on that team. 

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Agree with what others have said.  The episode suffered by being a wrap of of what started on the other show.  The Hawaii cast came off like guest stars in their own show.  I haven't watched the original is a very long time but did watch since it was a crossover.  If I hadn't, this episode would have seemed even stranger as a Hawaii episode.  I'm still confused though.   Isn't Jimmy married?  Why is (apparently) having sex in the office with a coworker?  

Please just stop with the Lucy/Whistler crap already.   I kind of like Whistler...until she gets around Lucy.  Then she starts to act like some wimpy, lover-starved loser grateful for any affection Lucy decides to toss her...no matter how immature, petty, manipulative or stalkery Lucy acts.  Seriously, who the fuck cooks enough food to populate the morning buffet on the lanai at the Honolulu Hilton for two people?   What, does she want to fatten Whistler up before she stuffs and mounts her?   For a trained FBI agent, she's missing a hell of a lot of red flags.  Ernie ain't the only creepy one on that team. 

Remember Whistler's not a trained FBI agent. She is so special that the FBI took her directly from the Defense Intelligence Agency. 

As for Doctor Jimmy, his wife died. I don't know if it was natural causes or NCIS related 

1 hour ago, threebluestars said:

She died of COVID if I remember right.

Correct, they had it mentioned in an episode.  

Crossover was not a big success, Lucy's romance is boring, and who talks about that stuff at work?  Thanks for the mention to Olivia's brother, I couldn't place why he looked familiar.  The original NCIS episode was better, I like the Hawaii spinoff but prefer their own cases.

• Like 2

I watched the mothership episode to see the Hawaii characters and I did not love it. I guess if I had to sum that show up, it feels like a show that has been on for twenty seasons.

I'm glad to see our NCIS Hawaii crew back though. I think they have much better banter with each other and they're just more fun to watch. And speaking of which I will try to keep my praise gentlemanly and simply say that when it comes to Lucy and Whistler being a happy couple who make out at the end of an episode, I am not mad about it. Not one bit.

I also thought Bam Bam was kind of fun. Boom Boom was a little abrasive when he first appeared but he warmed up to the team eventually. Bam Bam is stone cold and she's a nice contrast to the perpetually polite NCIS team. I am sure we'll be seeing her again although I still want the Fish and Wildlife crew to come back first.

They had a shave ice cart and they didn't have Kamekona from Hawaii 5-0 pushing it around? Since 5-0 has apparently retired (or more likely been disbanded with prejudice for flagrant disregard of every law known to man) it would not surprise me if Kamekona went back to his criminal ways.

The doctor in this episode was Phlox from Enterprise! Nice to see John Billingsley is still working.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, dwmarch said:

I watched the mothership episode to see the Hawaii characters and I did not love it. I guess if I had to sum that show up, it feels like a show that has been on for twenty seasons.

I'm glad to see our NCIS Hawaii crew back though. I think they have much better banter with each other and they're just more fun to watch. And speaking of which I will try to keep my praise gentlemanly and simply say that when it comes to Lucy and Whistler being a happy couple who make out at the end of an episode, I am not mad about it. Not one bit.

I also thought Bam Bam was kind of fun. Boom Boom was a little abrasive when he first appeared but he warmed up to the team eventually. Bam Bam is stone cold and she's a nice contrast to the perpetually polite NCIS team. I am sure we'll be seeing her again although I still want the Fish and Wildlife crew to come back first.

They had a shave ice cart and they didn't have Kamekona from Hawaii 5-0 pushing it around? Since 5-0 has apparently retired (or more likely been disbanded with prejudice for flagrant disregard of every law known to man) it would not surprise me if Kamekona went back to his criminal ways.

The doctor in this episode was Phlox from Enterprise! Nice to see John Billingsley is still working.

All Whistler and Lucy with Boone mentioning his wife. I wonder if they go sitcom and we never see her. Meanwhile besides Torres pushing without SAC Tennant backing him off by mentioning Captain Joe we didn't get anything from her and Kai's family dramas. And I agree with others that Jane and Ernie seemed off. Hopefully this was because they were writing for mothership's crew

With those last 5-0 members now playing a NCIS Agent and a New Zealander spy those Tommyverse connections between Hawaii 5-0/Magnum PI and NCIS: Los Angeles are all but dead. With the pandemic protocols staff cuts all the reoccurring characters that made the jump from 5-0 to Magnum were cut out. I have feared for the retired sumo Taylor Wiley for a while now so cousin Flippa had been taking up more of the probable Kamekona appearances towards the end of the run and into Magnum PI

Edited by Raja
18 hours ago, dwmarch said:

I saw him in Enterprise first, but after his stints on Cold Case, Prison Break and Criminal Minds (mostly Cold Case) every time I see him now I wonder if he is evil, and this was no exception.
Nice to see him in a role where he isn't evil!

On 9/20/2022 at 7:44 PM, Maverick said:

Isn't Jimmy married?  Why is (apparently) having sex in the office with a coworker?  

Well, if you had been following NCIS, you would know Jimmy's wife died of COVID.  So I would say he's free to pursue happiness elsewhere.

On 9/20/2022 at 7:44 PM, Maverick said:

I took it to mean that Lucy likes to please, and just tends to go overboard.  But you're right....the whole Whisler/Lucy thing has never worked for me.  Pair her off with someone that has a personality, and it might work.  Or better, yet, have a prolonged period of no romantic engaglement at all.  I can see why Whisler would like Lucy, but I haven't a clue as to why Lucy wants her, aside from purely physical attraction..

• Love 1
On 9/20/2022 at 6:13 PM, blackwing said:

I am not a regular viewer of NCIS but watched it because they promised more of a crossover than the one we had last season, which barely crossed over.  While it was helpful, I was still a bit lost since I didn't see the NCIS finale so I didn't understand why the Gary Cole character (who looks like he could be the brother of Michael Douglas) was suspended or why that guy hated him.

For the Hawaii episode, I wish there was more focus on our team, I feel like Jesse and Kai got the shaft.

I truly cannot stand Wilmer Valderrama.  I remember thinking with the last crossover, but how is it that this guy can make a living as an actor?  Monotone voice, dead eye glazed stare, so incredibly boring.  And his thicker Hispanic accent only seems to occasionally comes out, otherwise it's all monotone.  

Didn't care for the reminder of the ages-ago hookup or whatever it was that was referenced repeatedly in the last crossover, didn't care for the constant flirting/banter here.  And did she actually invite him to the island anytime?  What happened to Commander Melius?  Please bring him back instead.

I also don't understand what was going on with Ernie.  He was definitely creepy.  Once he became aware she was with the coroner guy from her team, he still continued the creep.

I don't mind the Whistler/Lucy relationship, but if it's going to be a major focus of every episode, then I will start minding it.  Didn't really see why we needed to be reminded not once, not twice, but at least three times that these two are sleeping together.  Breakfast in bed, their talk about their romance needing to calm Ernie down so he can work, and then the odd extended kissing scene on the couch.  This is not a show that needs to focus on romance.

They're pushing them as being this "hot and happy" relationship, but I've never been sold on it.  They never related to each other like normal people.  Sometimes it's writing, sometimes it's the actors involved, sometimes it's both, but sometimes you just can't sell it to people.   Unfortunately, unless the Whistler character is gone from the show, we will continue to get either "happy and hot" couple stuff, or "we've broken up, again, and will be passive-agressive and snarky to each other each and every meeting"

I really, really hate it when franchise shows do crossovers, and force the person to watch characters from another show they might not like, or want to see. (I'm OK with charaters on both shows, but some people might be firm fans of one and not the other).  It's blatent promotional shit, and I hate it.  And when one of the shows ends, (i.e New Orleans), the characters from that show disappear from the shared universe, never to be seen again.  It's even more annoying they tried doing it with season premieres.  Do it perhaps in the middle of the season, NOT for the finale, and NOT for the season premiere.

• Like 1

Look Ernie, I don't mind you most of the time but if you try to sink the USS J&J I'll come after you - hands off!!!

Not a big fan of evil mastermind plots and I don't buy Torres and Tennant, no matter what the writers are trying to sell me. Ditto for Whistler and Lucy, I'm glad we're over last season's drama but a little goes a long way with those two. 

Bam-Bam was cool. Stuntwork was solid as usual, Tennant's body-slam (or whatever you call that move at the end) was impressive.

• Love 2
On 9/20/2022 at 7:33 PM, threebluestars said:

She died of COVID if I remember right.

Yes, and it was a plot  in Gibbs’  last season.  It took them a couple episodes into the season before it was explained.
So Jimmy has been a widower for a couple years now   

On 9/21/2022 at 1:07 AM, dwmarch said:

Nice to see John Billingsley is still working.

And not as a weird, geek, potential rogue. Apparently, the writers let him mature out of his rebellious attitudes. Also, I agree with you on Bam Bam- single minded, proficient, spot-on. If she doesn’t adhere to social graces, who cares? Reminded me of a different “Parker”.