Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: There Can Only Be One Queen

DanaK
  • Start Topic

The Romans rally together after tragedy strikes. Nicky and Gigi grow even more competitive when the press dub Gigi "The New Queen." Meanwhile, sparks fly between Nicky and Wade; and Kayla discovers some shocking news in the all-new "There Can Only Be One Queen" time period premiere episode of MONARCH airing Tuesday, Sept. 20 (9:02-10:00 PM ET/ PT) on FOX.

5 minutes in and we have a 75 year old woman lip-syncing Shania Twain...because that's a thing we needed to have happen. I'm gonna finish out this episode, but I feel pretty safe in assuming that this Monarch is going to go the way of another one...

Also, Sarandon now listed as a "Special Guest Star" in the opening credits. Yep, they got us all with the bait and switch on that one. 

Oh sweet God have mercy. Shania is mad that Dotty stole "Man I Feel Like a Woman," and Nicky called it a "B-Side Flop." I know it's a tongue in cheek thing, but this is just getting a little too stupid.

Shit the bed. I typed that just as the hologram of Dotty appeared to sing a Naomi Judd song...Yes, that Naomi Judd. *Insert facepalm here

Edited by JayDub1987
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, JayDub1987 said:

5 minutes in and we have a 75 year old woman lip-syncing Shania Twain...because that's a thing we needed to have happen. I'm gonna finish out this episode, but I feel pretty safe in assuming that this Monarch is going to go the way of another one...

Also, Sarandon now listed as a "Special Guest Star" in the opening credits. Yep, they got us all with the bait and switch on that one. 

Oh sweet God have mercy. Shania is mad that Dotty stole "Man I Feel Like a Woman," and Nicky called it a "B-Side Flop." I know it's a tongue in cheek thing, but this is just getting a little too stupid.

Shit the bed. I typed that just as the hologram of Dotty appeared to sing a Naomi Judd song...Yes, that Naomi Judd. *Insert facepalm here

Couldn’t have summed it up any better. So so bad. This will be canceled within a month.

• Love 2
57 minutes ago, sadie said:

Couldn’t have summed it up any better. So so bad. This will be canceled within a month.

I know that these forums aren't an exact gauge of a show's popularity, but considering that you and I are the only comments on the show roughly 15 hours after it aired, I tend to agree. If we're not watching, there's a pretty good chance that no one else is either. 

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, Shelbie said:

It’s just so meh. There isn’t a single character or storyline that is interesting.

I mean, I could tune in next week to see who Trace Adkins killed. I'm guessing it'll be the Medical Examiner? But hell, I'm not entirely sure I care enough. If I watch another episode, it's gonna be a case of trainwreck TV. 

• Love 1

After the pilot, I wrote that this show was bad, but watchable.  I would like to officially retract the second half of that statement.  Woof. 

This veered into straight up parody with the hologram.  And performing a Judds' song.  At a funeral.  For someone who committed suicide. Very poor form.  (Yes, I realize this was taped prior to Naomi Judd's death, but still not a good look.) 

Was Sarandon hard up for money when she agreed to appear in this?  Did she lose a bet?  Inquiring minds want to know. 

Edited by Bulldog
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
46 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

After the pilot, I wrote that this show was bad, but watchable.  I would like to officially retract the second half of that statement.  Woof. 

This veered into straight up parody with the hologram.  And performing a Judds' song.  At a funeral.  For someone who committed suicide. Very poor form.  (Yes, I realize this was taped prior to Naomi Judd's death, but still not a good look.) 

Was Sarandon hard up for money when she agreed to appear in this?  Did she lose a bet?  Inquiring minds want to know. 

I know I referenced in my post that I was making during the show, but it bears repeating: how did no one think to go back and change the scene with The Judds' song at a funeral for a country icon who committed suicide?! I'm not "easily offended," nor did the scene hurt my feelings. I just can't believe a major network allowed a show that they're advertising so heavily to go through with that. 

• Love 1

Y'all.... I just don't think I can.

That hologram was horrifying.  LOL.  I just about died myself when I saw that thing. What the hell was coming out of her head?  Red vapor snakes?

They are not even trying to make the characters have any depth. 

I think it would have been smarter to let us get to know Dottie over the season and killed her off later, let us see how she actually acted with all her kids instead of them saying over and over again 'That's just like mama.'  Let us see her struggle with her disease and how she came to the decision to self terminate.

I will admit, the line about "A funeral is not the time or place for honesty" made me laugh. 

It is amazing they manage to keep anything a secret given how quick these people are to cop to things over stumble over things.

regarding the covers:  I read an article where the creator said "We are blessed with some amazing musical talent in front of and behind the camera, but writing original songs every week is a difficult thing to pull off,”

But... the shows this show aspires to be like did just that.  If you are gonna write a tv show set in the music world where music a key part of your storytelling, I would think one of the very first things you would do is secure good musical coordinator with talent to write the songs first.  Empire had Timbaland, Nashville had T-Bone Burnett, hell, even the quickly cancelled Queens had Swizz Beats.  And those shows were giving mostly original music each week with the occasional cover. There has got to be young, hungry untapped talent who would love the exposure. 

Speaking of, I did like the cover of 'Ain't no Sunshine.' which interestingly, Queens also did one with Brandy singing that cover and it was supremely gorgeous.  This one was very nice too.  I guess it is just hard to do a bad cover of that song.

51 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

regarding the covers:  I read an article where the creator said "We are blessed with some amazing musical talent in front of and behind the camera, but writing original songs every week is a difficult thing to pull off,”

"It's hard, so we're not going to do it." 

What a great friggin' way to approach what should be one of (if not the) most important aspects of your show. FFS, who is making that decision?! So far we have an original song (Brambles) that seems to be a verse and a chorus. That Cowgirl song that Nicky was singing at the beginning of the pilot, which seemed to be part of a verse and a chorus, and then the song that Nicky and Gigi did by the piano that I believe was original? I didn't recognize it, so unless I'm wrong, that was the most original lyrical content we had seen thus far.

I'm sorry if it annoys anyone that I harp on this aspect, but it's driving me insane. Nashville provided original songs. Empire provided original songs. Throw in a cover, but write some damn music! Hell, walk down the street in Nashville. You can find a songwriter who will work for a little bit of money. 

• Love 1

The show is awful.   The season is already filmed though, so much like Filthy Rich I think it will make through to be a one and done.  I'm assuming Trace killed the girl's mother who has a grudge against the Romans.  That or it Gigi's wife.  I admit I got a good laugh out of the hologram.  Having it pop up at your funeral was wacky enough but having a swarm of monarch butterflies as your crown?  Cheestacular.  

I'll probably keep watching just for the brother.  He is ridiculously good looking.  Always having his shirt unbuttoned half way to his navel is super douchy...but I'm gonna allow a pass here.   I just wish he had some better plot than going after his sister's wife (see above, he can have his pick of women to date) and being the cliched illegitimate son (because you know it's going to happen and that's why his dad hates him so much).   

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Maverick said:

The show is awful.   The season is already filmed though, so much like Filthy Rich I think it will make through to be a one and done.  I'm assuming Trace killed the girl's mother who has a grudge against the Romans.  That or it Gigi's wife.  I admit I got a good laugh out of the hologram.  Having it pop up at your funeral was wacky enough but having a swarm of monarch butterflies as your crown?  Cheestacular.  

I'll probably keep watching just for the brother.  He is ridiculously good looking.  Always having his shirt unbuttoned half way to his navel is super douchy...but I'm gonna allow a pass here.   I just wish he had some better plot than going after his sister's wife (see above, he can have his pick of women to date) and being the cliched illegitimate son (because you know it's going to happen and that's why his dad hates him so much).   

Oh yea, I've already assumed he's not a legitimate son. The business-minded son being illegitimate is another good move straight out of Yellowstone.  

13 hours ago, Maverick said:

I admit I got a good laugh out of the hologram.  Having it pop up at your funeral was wacky enough but having a swarm of monarch butterflies as your crown?  Cheestacular.    

Ditto! 

I hadn't expected the show to be so intentionally campy, but I can live with it (I mean, surely it's intentional, right?)  I'll watch for now because I like Trace Adkins - and country music in general - and because I have very low standards.  (Case in point: I originally joined TWoP to discuss Bret Michaels Rock of Love.)

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

The hologram at the tribute concert was so over the top bad. But I did like the performance with Albie and his grandson(?)

Like I said with the pilot, Sarandon was the center of the show and killing her off throws the show out of balance. The rest of these folks can’t hold enough interest to hold the show together. And it doesn’t help that they are constantly talking about Sarandon’s character and how great she was or showing her in cameos. It probably would have been better to have her fully in the first season, then kill her off

The ratings for the episode were awful, dropping from an already bad number, so I don’t see this lasting even a full first season much less getting renewed

And I agree about the decision not to do very many original numbers (for a musical show!) because “it’s too hard”. If showrunners want to do it, then you make the effort. I guess they just didn’t want to and the decision won’t help them stand out, which given how the ratings are diving and them killing off Sarandon’s character in the pilot, they really, really needed to do

Edited by DanaK
On 9/22/2022 at 5:51 PM, JayDub1987 said:

So far we have an original song (Brambles) that seems to be a verse and a chorus. That Cowgirl song that Nicky was singing at the beginning of the pilot, which seemed to be part of a verse and a chorus, and then the song that Nicky and Gigi did by the piano that I believe was original? I didn't recognize it, so unless I'm wrong, that was the most original lyrical content we had seen thus far.

That last scene made me laugh internally because Nicky had just written the song at the piano where she was still sitting, and Gigi walked in and started singing with her. Not just the repeating chorus, but a whole new verse! The chicanery.

• LOL 2
6 hours ago, bilgistic said:

That last scene made me laugh internally because Nicky had just written the song at the piano where she was still sitting, and Gigi walked in and started singing with her. Not just the repeating chorus, but a whole new verse! The chicanery.

You wanna know something pathetic? I was so amazed that this entire team of writers had put together an original song, I didn't even catch that. God have mercy, this show really is making me dumber.

Bless y'all. I got through the first episode and about 5 minutes or so of the second. I'm sure the actress who plays Nikki is a lovely person and perhaps a very good actress in other things but dear heaven, wow she is not good here. Between that and the god awful wig they have her in (I have turned into my mother and "Can you please get your hair out of your face sweetie!!") I just can't. And I'm not sure who she pissed off in the wardrobe but with the fringe pants, hat combo in Ep 1 and the weird lace shirt and her inability to walk in heels (or was there a reason why she had a limp walking into the house?) it's just too much. The brother is mighty pretty but not pretty enough. And Trace needs to tone down the dick attitude a smidge.

I'm gonna pray Jesus be with y'all sticking it out. You are made of better stuff than I.  ;-) ;-)

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I'm loving the front door of the house. 

Why didn't the son think back on his mom telling him that she is leaving him her shares and question that. Wouldn't that have been a giveaway that she intended to do something? 

I think the girls instead of competing against each other, would be better as a duo.

Was that really Shania? 

And damn was Dottie a piece of work to her kids and her sister.

On 9/21/2022 at 11:45 AM, sadie said:

I barely made it through the second episode. This was so bad I was cringing. Everything is subpar: the writing, the acting, the direction. Even the performances aren’t very good. And I don’t believe the three actors as siblings. They look nothing alike and don’t have any chemistry. 

Yes, that was Shania. 

I wanted to like this but it’s horrible. Deleting from DVR. 

Edited by Sweet-tea
  • Like 1