Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E22: Finale Results

• Start Topic

Shin Lim's hair just gets crazier every time he's on. He looks like he got caught in a windstorm backstage.

Darci Lynn looks so grown up (and she's still only 17; she turns 18 next month). The ventriloquist trio was fun.

I will not miss Terry's dancing pecs.

Edited by ams1001
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

Loved the roast of Simon Cowell because Mike E. Winfield did not tell any jokes. 

The ventriloquist section Daric Lynne and Terry Factor are awesome but Celia Munoz sucked like I said before waste of a wild card America.

My top 5 are Metaphysic, Chapel Hart, Nicolas Ribs, Sara James, and Mayyas 

So happy Celia Munoz and Avery Dixon are not in top 5 but feel sad for Sara James.

So happy for the Mayyas congratulations

Edited by JohnK570
  • Like 1

The white panel on Terry's jacket keeps making me think part of the jacket got ripped off. At certain angles the white blends with his shirt and the bottom part of the jacket disappears.

And here we go! Top five:

• Drake Milligan vs Mike E. Winfield: wow, I'm shocked. this is my shocked face. 😐
  • Nicholas Ribs vs Metaphysic: neither one of 'em's gonna win so whatever
  • Celia Munoz vs Kristy Sellars: I wonder if it feels weird to be the only one on stage in basically a bathing suit while everyone else is in fancy suits and dresses (well, the Mayyas have bikini tops, too, but at least they have pants).
  • Mayyas vs Yu Ho Jin: Again, 😐
  • Sara James vs Avery Dixon vs Chapel Heart: Okay, that one actually did surprise me; I was expecting it to be Sara.

And the winner is...

5. Chapel Heart. Fair.
4. Metaphysic. Also fair.
3. Drake Milligan. Okay, I actually am a little 😮. But he'll be busy with his album so...
2. Kristy Sellars. I also think this is fair, but I would have been okay with it if she won.
1. The Mayyas. Woohoo!

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 2
  • Love 3

5. Chapel Hart. Should have been 2.
4. Metaphysic. Should have been 3.
3. Drake Milligan. Should have been 4
2. Kristy Sellars. Should have been 5.
1. The Mayyas. Very happy with them winning.

Edited by JohnK570
1 minute ago, Diana Berry said:

For giggles was hoping that Christie would win.  The mayas would have been fine and how much are they going to split the prize — aren’t there like 50 in the group?  With Christy she would get the whole annuity.

36. A little under $28K each. Before taxes.

• Useful 1

I was pleased with the top 3  as predicted.  

I was shocked Chapel Hart got into the top 5 because their performance was just totally amateurish last night  it was horrible completely flat and tonight was only slightly better. They came on the show with a bang but I hated all their other performances.

Drake proved to be a far better vocalist and entertainer in that genre.

Im not a country fan at all so I was grateful that the two country acts split their vote or one of them would have been standing with the win. The show reallly dodged a bulllet.

So finally the show is actually global and not fallen down the country music rabbit hole just because someone sings America off key.

I was so glad that Kristy got to top two. Her performance last night was better than her semis whereas for me the Mayyas second performance was outstanding and their finale was ok, obviously good enough for a win.  

Americans actually voting for Arab girls from the Middle East is a first, hopefully it won’t be the last.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Two country acts in the top 5 is a travesty. Mayyas and Kristy one and two, CH would have placed higher if they hadn't blown their final performance. They did get a shoutout from Tanya Tucker. Loved the roast of Simon, they got in some pretty good zingers. Where was that in their auditions? Unless they didn't write their own parts and a professional did.

• Like 2

The Mayyas are the 2022 winner of AGT and they deserve it.  They really were the best act of the whole season in my opinion.

I would have been ok if Celia Munoz had won the whole thing!  Her venttriloquist talent is really entertaining to me.  She always put on a good performance.

Chapel Hart threw their "interception" on Tuesday night with a horrible performance.  Their audition was their best but then the bottom fell out after that.  Their next song they sang sounded like any other sound you could hear on the radio.  They weren't "old country" anymore.  Maybe success got to their heads and they "mailed it in".

You could clearly see the disappointment in Avery Dixon's face when he didn't make the top 5.  I thought he had his best performance on Tuesday but unfortunately, the jazz genre isn't as big as other genres.  I love jazz so his music was very entertaining!

I'm kind of glad Sara James didn't win.  They build her up so much, I think she thought she would win.

Terry Crews used to be a good host.  What happened to him?  Now he comes out and does his goofy spin like he's some famous dancer.  I liked him better when he had a lesser role.

I would love for the show to change their rules a bit and not allow any singer or group that has a contract already to continue on the show.

Well, it looks like I'm running out of things to write about.  

Until next time..... 

• Like 5

Everyone on the forum should get together and present a "F*ck You" cake to the show for another season of "why did I do that to myself". The show wasn't even that bad, but the finale went on so long, it made me feel total relief that this is the last one. Since The Black Eyed Peas' heyday were back before their name described the government's new food pyramid of protein, it's not surprising that the younger generation falsely accredits Tekashi 69 with pioneering "music(?)". I wondered where Fergie was, since my knowledge of women is so limited, I assume she should still be trying to prove she is young and hot at age 47. On a serious note, the Peas must be one of the most hellish acts to perform live since they just jump in place with no instruments talking about having a good time, even though the members' definition of that has probably changed to reading a good book and lights out at 8:30 now that they're all like 50.

Skipping over unimportant crap, that roast was so bad and you'd think the applause was turned up in the production truck or the whole audience just got released from a work camp and had hypersensitive amygdalas, since I don't think there was a single good line.

The Mayyas winning was expected, though I still hugged the TV like a confused old pervert. Now that the credits have rolled, the memories of the contestants' names will leave faster than a rocket that was claimed to have left the atmosphere but actually only went up a few hundred feet (read a banned history book, would you). Anyways, spending 30 hours watching this season and 30 hours of typing about it has been very unenjoyable unpaid labor, I'd rather give mass murderers funky haircuts as the respected prison barber, at least respected until they learn why I'm there and impale me with my own tools.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

The Mayyas made just enough to cover their phone bills for the inevitable group chat filled with bitching about how non-lucrative the show ended up being.
Anyway, they deserved to win. Post-AGT success is hard to gauge, although Vegas is one of the only outlets for such an act. The unfairness of being women in show business has me worry about how precarious the group's longevity is, notably in the likely event that all 36 girls fall pregnant at the exact same time. ☹️

I don't know why Kristy went back to the "pole" when voting was closed, but her getting second place was a shock.
Watching and writing about this show is exhausting, so here's hoping Simon insists on riding his bike to the next set of auditions for another 6 month delay.

• LOL 2

Well that's it. The only real surprise was Sarah James not making the top 5, and Drake coming in 3rd instead of 2nd. Also, Jeff Ross being completely tame in "roasting" Simon. 

I'm sure I'll write some more today, but see you all next May! 

Or maybe in January for the Extreme Champion Extravaganza! 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1

Ameriker got it right.  Good on us.

Avery's duet with Trombone Shorty on Higher Ground was fabulous.  His unfiltered shock at not making the Top 5 was priceless.

It really doesn't matter, but Christy at #2 was a stunner.  Chapel Hart making it was stunning - as the lead singer's expression affirmed.

The magician trio was entirely underwhelming.  That table does all the work.  I did like when Hu spread the decks to reveal the flag and the Thank You.

The usage of Metaphysic was very clever.

I think Simon is correct that Drake and CH have great chances to break out.  But, CH is gonna need excellent management, and submit to it, for real success.  That Ameriker song they sang on the Finale does have the makings of a hit, as the bearded one insisted.  Darius Rucker was the best they could do for CH?  Not even a virtual appearance by Dolly?  Get on it, Metaphysic!

Really smart approach to the comedian problem.  Turn him into the emcee, and then bring in the ultimate emcee, Ross, to perform.  McMullen was clearly the class of this year's AGT line-up of comics.  TPTB were smart to give him so much time as he confidently and smoothly started off the "roast."

Terry's panicked shouting of the two inane questions he was forced to ask all of the losers at Christy as the show was crashing out (hectic final moments as they tried to hit their out time) was staggeringly awful.  His frustrated expression/body language was fun.

What are the chances that the pittance the Vegas acts are paid covers the bare expenses for the entire Mayyas troupe?  Guaranteed they  will be reduced in numbers, at least by half.  any chance this full cast will ever be reunited and brought back to the AGT stage?  Nuh uh.  They were definitely the most worthy and deserving act this year, though.  I wish them all the best.

Have we seen the last of this jidges panel?  

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Amy Beth said:

The prize is an annuity. The winner gets $25k a year for 40 years. So each member is entitled to $694/yr. 

I know; I couldn't remember how it was paid out and didn't care enough to look it up.

6 hours ago, rr2911 said:

Terry Crews used to be a good host.  What happened to him?  Now he comes out and does his goofy spin like he's some famous dancer.  I liked him better when he had a lesser role.

I feel like the host is expected to amp it up more and more every season. When they can't amp it up any more they get replaced. (I feel the same way about American Ninja Warrior. The hosts were so much calmer in the earlier seasons and each year the energy level on their part gets higher and higher to the point they start to sound ridiculous.)

1 hour ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Terry's panicked shouting of the two inane questions he was forced to ask all of the losers at Christy as the show was crashing out (hectic final moments as they tried to hit their out time) was staggeringly awful.  His frustrated expression/body language was fun.

I laughed at that. Kristy didn't even hear him because she was in the middle of a hug from like 5 of the Mayyas. "What did you say?" 😄

I was happy to see Shin Lim and his hair make an appearance. He doesn't even have to produce any magic as far as I'm concerned.

I was surprisingly LOL at the Simon roast. The science comedian was hilarious and hit all Simon's nails on the head. I really enjoyed that segment, something I did not expect. Well done.

I listen to country and sort of had heard Drake's song but never heard of the singer who joined him. Drake kicked him to the curb though in singing, made me appreciate Drake more. Darius Rucker, however, brought it. 

Someone needed to tell the saxophone kid to suck it up and be gracious when losing. It won't be his first time hitting the bottom of the barrel so get used to it kid if you want to be in show business.

I was wondering how the Mayyas were going to split that free Kia. Will they all have to share a room at the Luxor?

• Like 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, PBnJay said:

I was surprisingly LOL at the Simon roast. The science comedian was hilarious and hit all Simon's nails on the head.

The "nerd" comedian with his charts and graphs was the best part of the show for me!  Yay for Kristy for making it to the top 2.  I was hoping for a win for her, but hopefully this will propel her into the spotlight and will give her some great opportunities. 

While I appreciate what the Mayyas did, that kind of act just isn't my thing.  However, I wish them much success and I'm sure their show will be really good on the big stage at Vegas!  I was happy to see them & Kristy as the top two, given the unique performances they gave us.  

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

While I appreciate what the Mayyas did, that kind of act just isn't my thing.  However, I wish them much success and I'm sure their show will be really good on the big stage at Vegas!  I was happy to see them & Kristy as the top two, given the unique performances they gave us.  

Part of me was just glad it wasn't a singer.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Part of me was just glad it wasn't a singer.

Me too (even though I like Chapel Hart!)  CH seems to be doing fairly well with their videos and such. 

Kristy has such a unique vision with her talent.  Like Simon, I did an eye roll when she said she'd be doing pole dancing, but I quickly became a fan after hearing her story and seeing how she made pole dancing into something we haven't seen before.  I hope she has much success! 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

And Sara James won the Polish version of the Voice Kids. It's par for the course for this show. They want us to think the acts are undiscovered and plucked off the farm, but many are seasoned professionals who work the Got Talent circuit and other similar shows. Drake is obviously established. In fact, I've read that the bigger acts are recruited from youtube videos, and the "auditions" are pretty fake. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
2 hours ago, Superclam said:

And Sara James won the Polish version of the Voice Kids. It's par for the course for this show. They want us to think the acts are undiscovered and plucked off the farm, but many are seasoned professionals who work the Got Talent circuit and other similar shows. Drake is obviously established. In fact, I've read that the bigger acts are recruited from youtube videos, and the "auditions" are pretty fake. 

I have no illusions that the people who go far on this show aren't known elsewhere. I don't follow the other versions of the show and I've probably forgotten 95% of the winners of this version by the time the finale thread here dies down, anyway. I just take each season on its own terms. Part of the entertainment factor for me is probably the chat here more than the show at this point.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

I'll skim through the show this weekend, but I am glad a singer didn't win. 

I have no idea how it works, but I suspect for most group acts (or at least big group acts) they are actually incorporated as an LLC or something similar, and that is what they were entered under. So the individual dancers probably won't see a dime of it, but the company will get the prizes and figure out how to distribute the money, handle taxes and (most likely) spend it in promoting the group in general. Hell, even the smaller groups and single acts would probably be wise to set things up that way, just to shield themselves from the tax bills and other issues that might come up. 

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, Taeolas said:

I have no idea how it works, but I suspect for most group acts (or at least big group acts) they are actually incorporated as an LLC or something similar, and that is what they were entered under. So the individual dancers probably won't see a dime of it, but the company will get the prizes and figure out how to distribute the money, handle taxes and (most likely) spend it in promoting the group in general. Hell, even the smaller groups and single acts would probably be wise to set things up that way, just to shield themselves from the tax bills and other issues that might come up. 

Yeah, I've always assumed that group acts that win use the money for group expenses, not split it between the members.

13 hours ago, Superclam said:

They want us to think the acts are undiscovered and plucked off the farm, but many are seasoned professionals who work the Got Talent circuit and other similar shows.

I tend to view this show in blissful ignorance of anything these contestants have done prior to AGT!!  However, I realize how naive I am in thinking that some of them are brand new to the entertainment scene.  ;)  

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Congratulations to the Mayaas, and the up side is that if you split the prize enough, taxes are almost nothing.  Also, that's almost-nothing for decades, so in addition to other work, it'll help, I hope.

Thanks everyone for the insight and laughs; I am in and out, but appreciate your posts.

Have a good autumn/winter, or I'll see you in another chat, or both.

• Love 4

Someone needed to tell the saxophone kid to suck it up and be gracious when losing. It won't be his first time hitting the bottom of the barrel so get used to it kid if you want to be in show business.

He was very visibly upset.  He could not even hug who ever was on stage with him because he was in shock.  I do believe he thought he was going to win.  I blame this on everyone at AGT for hyping him up every time he came on stage.  Terry practically fell all over him with praise.  There is nothing wrong with that, but they should have also mentioned that there is a chance he would not win AGT.  But he defiantly has had doors open for him because of his appearance on the show so I hope he does well.  I really enjoyed his performance.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Just a note to say Chapel Hart's record with Darius Rucker was released on Sept. 30, and they are listed to be on Opry Live on Circle network in the upcoming weeks. Didn't take long for them to get recognized. In fact, all of those things had to have happened before the AGT finale. Just sayin'.