Type keyword(s) to search

S24.E01: Gimme Shelter (2)

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

As has been promoted, this will be a 3-way crossover with the Mothership and OC. As this is labeled with the number following the title, it seems SVU  will be the second part of this crossover. Airing September 22, 2022:

A girl is shot and Cosgrove teams with Det. Jalen Shaw to track down her killer. Benson and Stabler assist and realize it's more than a typical homicide. McCoy and Price seek justice against an international crime ring.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

TV listings have updated, and the confirmed order (even if this is billed as a movie) is OC at 8 ET, SVU at 9 ET, and the Mothership at 10 ET.

So the order is a bit different than usual.

I'm assuming it is set up that way because it would make no narrative sense to prosecute the offender and only then investigate the crime? And the mothership is the only series with a full legal team and more than a couple writers who know how to write a courtroom scene. I am wondering if with the crossover and a new showrunner who doesn't have some sort of bizarre hatred of the DA's office we will see Carisi interact with Jack McCoy?

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, wknt3 said:

I'm assuming it is set up that way because it would make no narrative sense to prosecute the offender and only then investigate the crime? And the mothership is the only series with a full legal team and more than a couple writers who know how to write a courtroom scene. I am wondering if with the crossover and a new showrunner who doesn't have some sort of bizarre hatred of the DA's office we will see Carisi interact with Jack McCoy?

The season premiere is being advertised as a 3 hour movie, not 3 separate 1 hour episodes, there won’t be credits at 9 or 10 and characters from all 3 shows will be on all 3 hours. So I don’t think it matters what official order the shows are in.

I would love to see Carisi and McCoy interact, and I really hope the new showrunner ends the shitting on the DA’s office that Warren was so fond of, it was really bizarre how Warren was obsessed with portraying everyone in the office besides Carisi as a political hack, and it kind of felt like SVU and the Mothership were taking place in separate universes last season. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6
18 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

The season premiere is being advertised as a 3 hour movie, not 3 separate 1 hour episodes, there won’t be credits at 9 or 10 and characters from all 3 shows will be on all 3 hours. So I don’t think it matters what official order the shows are in.

I would love to see Carisi and McCoy interact, and I really hope the new showrunner ends the shitting on the DA’s office that Warren was so fond of, it was really bizarre how Warren was obsessed with portraying everyone in the office besides Carisi as a political hack, and it kind of felt like SVU and the Mothership were taking place in separate universes last season. 

I've seen how it's being promoted. Until I see otherwise I'm assuming that the "movie" will still be structured to allow it to be cut up into hours for the individual series' syndication packages and that the last hour is going to feature more of the Mothership's cast and all of the actual trial. Who knows though? Maybe it will be an actual seamless 3 hour movie. It would be nice since as we all know there has never been a Law & Order movie...

Edited by wknt3
  • Love 6

Did anyone else expect the usual, where a witness or defendant is conveniently knock off? I see we got some of the "Same Old, Same Old", where Benson gets involved with a victim again and mentors her with all of her usual uplifting all inspiring speeches.

• Love 5

They are NOT OGs of Law & Order!!!

SVU, yes. But SAY SVU.

Mothership OGs are, if one is technical, George Dzundza and Chris Noth. If one wants to put a "face" on that, it STILL would not be these two, but Briscoe and/or McCoy.

It just bugs me, for some reason. I know, first-world problems. But it seems like SVU gets all the glory, when the Mothership started the whole franchise. Hell, I could argue I enjoyed Criminal Intent more than SVU, at least SVU of the past decade or so.

Just GRRR!!! to that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

They are NOT OGs of Law & Order!!!

SVU, yes. But SAY SVU.

Mothership OGs are, if one is technical, George Dzundza and Chris Noth. If one wants to put a "face" on that, it STILL would not be these two, but Briscoe and/or McCoy.

It just bugs me, for some reason. I know, first-world problems. But it seems like SVU gets all the glory, when the Mothership started the whole franchise. Hell, I could argue I enjoyed Criminal Intent more than SVU, at least SVU of the past decade or so.

Just GRRR!!! to that.

They are promoting this up way too much or anyway they can. But when I finally tuned in, there was nothing spectacular about it and many of the same weaknesses that we see in the regular episodes  I see here..

On 9/12/2022 at 8:16 PM, Xeliou66 said:

I would love to see Carisi and McCoy interact

I wasn't watching that close, but there was no Carisi-McCoy interaction, right?
But if the main purpose for this TV "event" was to try to get more viewers of one show to become ongoing crossover viewers of the other shows, that pairing might have fallen off of the writers wish/suggestion lists, since it would be unlikely to happen again, owing at least in part to Sam Waterston having minimal screen time on the L&O reboot--presumably Waterston's choice.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I wasn't watching that close, but there was no Carisi-McCoy interaction, right?
But if the main purpose for this TV "event" was to try to get more viewers of one show to become ongoing crossover viewers of the other shows, that pairing might have fallen off of the writers wish/suggestion lists, since it would be unlikely to happen again, owing at least in part to Sam Waterston having minimal screen time on the L&O reboot--presumably Waterston's choice.

Nope - Carisi had only 2 scenes, one with Benson at the scene where Rollins was shot, and one with Rollins in the hospital at the end. No interaction with Jack or anyone else. Disappointing that Carisi, a really good character, has mainly been reduced to being Rollins’ boyfriend.

McCoy did have a fairly heavy role last night though, more so than we’ve seen so far, it’s always nice when he gets more screen time as he’s a legend, he won’t get as much as he used to due to his age but it’s always great when he gets a good sized role.

• Like 2
  • Love 5
On 9/24/2022 at 12:48 PM, Zaffy said:

As I wrote in the OC forum, the whole thing was decent. Nothing great, but certainly above average. Mariska looked quite refreshed, didn't she?

I thought they said that the Benson character was going to be more like a regular Captain and only come out to investigate a case or two. But here, she is doing the same over the top stuff by getting way too familiar with victims. They have shrinks and counselors for that. They even have her taking over a hostage situation.

Edited by dttruman
  • Like 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, dttruman said:

I thought they said that the Benson character was going to be more like a regular Captain and only come out to investigate a case or two. But here, she is doing the same over the stop stuff by getting way too familiar with victims. They have shrinks and counselors for that. They even have her taking over a hostage situation.

But they had her taking over as ranking officer to insist on waiting for ESU and following proper tactical procedure instead of going in and playing hero so that was some real personal growth there...

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, wknt3 said:

But they had her taking over as ranking officer to insist on waiting for ESU and following proper tactical procedure instead of going in and playing hero so that was some real personal growth there...

I thought her job when facing a hostage situation is to stay put, and wait for the negotiator. Why would she negotiate and order transportation for the terrorist, that is not her job, right?

31 minutes ago, dttruman said:

I thought her job when facing a hostage situation is to stay put, and wait for the negotiator. Why would she negotiate and order transportation for the terrorist, that is not her job, right?

How many times has Liv been held hostage or was the hostage?  At this point, she's probably more than qualified to lead negotiations! 

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, dttruman said:

3 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

How many times has Liv been held hostage or was the hostage?  At this point, she's probably more than qualified to lead negotiations! 

Next up: Liv gets drugged by a sadistic criminal who uses her skills/experience and drugged state to mold her into a Super Hostage Taker.
Only Elliot can talk her down.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, dttruman said:

But to be fair, detectives and special agents have a habit of negotiating even if they're not negotiators. Usually, the only times they don't negotiate is when they're the hostage themselves and even then they sometimes do. ;-)

As for the episode, that must have been the worst CI ever. He didn't listen, he acted suspiciously and he had no ideas where the boundaries were with the boss. He was begging to get shot and while it was the bad guy who shot him, his death is kind of on Elliot for making someone like the kid a CI in the first place. (Although, if he lasted 6 months, I'm assuming he was a good CI before the show needed him for suspense. Poor CI).

I thought the bomb was supposed to take out the whole building. Why didn't Shaw and Cosgrove not have so much as a scratch even though they were right next to the building that was still standing?

And why was Cosgrove commanding personnel when there is a Captain on the scene? As an officer, I sure would have referred to the Captain first before doing anything.

I did like that Benson assumed command during the hostage situation but I am surprised that Cosgrove didn't go against her orders and then got a commendation for it. Two episodes in, I'm wondering if this is a crossover or a three-hour Cosgrove episode with the rest as his supporting characters. Was the actor the most available of the lot?
If they aired OC first, why didn't it start out as their case anyway? They were already investigating and the detectives from the mothership were the least necessary to create this three-hour premiere.
Have it start out as an UC investigation, continue with the SVU aspect of it then move to prosecution phase and use the prosecutors from SVU and the mothership.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

Wasn't she sort of responsible for the death of Det, Mike Dodds, when there was going to be a possible hostage situation there?

• Love 1
14 hours ago, dttruman said:

She wasn't initiating though, he was saying he was going to start shooting hostages. She was essentially acting as someone who somehow we are supposed to believe has passed the hostage training course and ranking officer to attempt to buy time and allow more resources to arrive. In past seasons she would have been charging in saying they couldn't wait.

3 hours ago, dttruman said:

Wasn't she sort of responsible for the death of Det, Mike Dodds, when there was going to be a possible hostage situation there?

Depends on what you mean by "sort of". If you go by what was depicted on screen she is definitely responsible for Sgt. Dodds death through poor command decisions. If you go by what the writers told us through dialogue later on including from Chief Dodds it was completely not her fault and nobody should ever think anything different.

Edited by wknt3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, wknt3 said:

Depends on what you mean by "sort of". If you go by what was depicted on screen she is definitely responsible for Sgt. Dodds death through poor command decisions. If you go by what the writers told us through dialogue later on including from Chief Dodds it was completely not her fault and nobody should ever think anything different.

I am sure they could explain her way out of anything or they won't say anything at all and hope no one notices. I think the later is their normal go to move unless it is something major. Since Chief Dodds was still around (probably because they had a contract with Peter Gallagher as a reoccurring character), they had him reconcile with Benson otherwise the viewers would wonder why there's no animosity between the two.

One episode they didn't try to explain away was where the guy pretended he was a head of admissions of some school and he slept with a mother trying to get her kid into that school. Benson pushed hard for rape charges and got Stone (I think) to prosecute. The whole thing was brought out into the open and the kid actually committed suicide and did Benson suffer any of the consequences? I don't think so!

Edited by dttruman
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

As for the episode, that must have been the worst CI ever. He didn't listen, he acted suspiciously and he had no ideas where the boundaries were with the boss. He was begging to get shot and while it was the bad guy who shot him, his death is kind of on Elliot for making someone like the kid a CI in the first place. (Although, if he lasted 6 months, I'm assuming he was a good CI before the show needed him for suspense. Poor CI).

I agree on the CI. I felt really anxious each time he was working undercover. Like "What are you doing? Why are you saying that?" He just seemed so...twitchy. And suspicious. Why would they trust him with any information? When they saw how he did the first time, they shouldn't have sent him for the next meeting, as he was clearly doomed.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

When the Russian guy's phone was just sitting on a table in an abandoned house, that was evidence to me that he knew his phone was compromised.  Yet they had twitchy meet up with him again. The writers never addressed the issue of the phone.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, StaceyNotStacie said:

I liked the interaction with the three casts, but it went on a bit too long. 

Also, was I the only one who thought Olivia was going to invite the teenage girl to stay with her?

Sounds like there might be another adoption, unless the writers fail to address it, with another complex or lame excuse

• Love 1
6 hours ago, dttruman said:

Sounds like there might be another adoption, unless the writers fail to address it, with another complex or lame excuse

If she does adopt her, now I'm imagining Olivia on a first date where the guy is like, "Tell me about your kids." "Well, let's see, Noah I adopted after his mother was killed and set on fire so that she wouldn't testify. Nicole? Well, after her friend was murdered--wait, where are you going? Come back!"

• LOL 3
  • Love 1