Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E13: Harry, a Parent

jewel21
  • Start Topic

Oh, my!! 😉 Where do we go from here? I have a theory about a bunch of stuff, but we don't have a topic for that.

I feel badly for Asta finding out she had a crap-ass birth mom, but being raised by Dan saved her (he was right to keep the info from her). She'll figure that out soon enough. At least she cares deeply about Jay and everyone else in her life. Even a pain-in-the-ass alien!

Nice for D'arcy to do well in her competition. I always thought she was downhill, but she's freestyle and moguls, etc. Of course. That makes total sense. I hope she doesn't self-destruct on her way to Vail, but being D'arcy she probably will. I wonder who the skiing double for her was. Still, that bit was pretty much filler.

Only one three more eps, but at least we have a third season to look forward to. Can't get here soon enough!

Edited by Ms Lark
Because I'm an idiot!
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Do cortisone shots and pain meds show up on drug tests?  Are there drug tests for this level of competition?  The skiing itself seemed kind of basic, too.  Not that there was anything wrong with it, but I feel like I've seen more complex runs.  I also didn't realize D'Arcy skied moguls.

Ha!  George Takei the Grey trying to explain "Oh my".  

I really felt bad for Asta, though.  Harry telling the birth mom to smoke more was great.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Do cortisone shots and pain meds show up on drug tests?  Are there drug tests for this level of competition?  The skiing itself seemed kind of basic, too.  Not that there was anything wrong with it, but I feel like I've seen more complex runs.  I also didn't realize D'Arcy skied moguls.

Ha!  George Takei the Grey trying to explain "Oh my".  

I really felt bad for Asta, though.  Harry telling the birth mom to smoke more was great.

I kept wondering what kind of competition this was - I think for someone who competed at Olympic level skiing you would know what you can and cannot take. I am already tired of the D'arcy addicted to pain meds plot. I also thought the skiing looked very sloppy and not great. I was shocked she ended up on the top of the leader board. It was definitely not elite mogul skiing.

My least favorite character is the Mayor's wife whose name I cannot be bothered to learn, and this episode just makes me hate her more. Flip flopping on the resort because some home town girls were nice to her was pretty crappy. I also do not know why the mayor doesn't highlight the jobs and tourists that will be brought to the town that could also help the existing businesses? She looks mean and he looks dumb. Ugh.

"Smoke more" was awesome.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

I have lived in small towns and tourism jobs are universally hated. They are low wage, and they absolutely do drive the locals out of business. Also, the tourists are annoying to the locals-- they always create noise and traffic and they never respect the locals. They treat the locals like servants, and inevitably look down on us-- people with money on vacation are in the mindset of being waited on and treated as royalty, while people living their daily lives have other things on our minds. The visitors also drive up cost of living for locals and usually make it unaffordable.

So, I get why the locals don't want the resort. It will absolutely fundamentally change the nature of the town. I think both the mayor and his wife look stupid in this plot. 

• Applause 3
  • Love 3
On 9/12/2022 at 3:54 PM, possibilities said:

I have lived in small towns and tourism jobs are universally hated. They are low wage, and they absolutely do drive the locals out of business. Also, the tourists are annoying to the locals-- they always create noise and traffic and they never respect the locals. They treat the locals like servants, and inevitably look down on us-- people with money on vacation are in the mindset of being waited on and treated as royalty, while people living their daily lives have other things on our minds. The visitors also drive up cost of living for locals and usually make it unaffordable.

So, I get why the locals don't want the resort. It will absolutely fundamentally change the nature of the town. I think both the mayor and his wife look stupid in this plot. 

I am not arguing for or against the resort, but I do think the mayor is doing his job looking for opportunities to bring revenue into the town, for good or bad, and he isn't effectively taking advantage of the arguments to be made for it. His wife is just horrible. She doesn't support him - not only in this, but in pretty much everything and is basically a bully. He is doing his job, but she expects him to just fold because she told him to. Why doesn't she run for mayor if she wants to make the decisions?

• Like 2
  • Love 1
On 9/12/2022 at 3:03 PM, Ilovepie said:

I kept wondering what kind of competition this was - I think for someone who competed at Olympic level skiing you would know what you can and cannot take. I am already tired of the D'arcy addicted to pain meds plot. I also thought the skiing looked very sloppy and not great. I was shocked she ended up on the top of the leader board. It was definitely not elite mogul skiing.

I assumed it was some sort of regional qualifier event. If D'arcy has been out of competitive skiing for while, she probably would need to earn a spot back in at qualifiers, and probably wouldn't need nearly as difficult of a run as she would have needed back when she was on the World Cup tour or making the Olympics. For that purpose the level felt reasonable to me (and whoever did did the actual skiing was probably about at that level). She'd probably be ramping up to the more difficult runs still, and only intended to do what was necessary to qualify.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1