Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Superhuman Law

• Start Topic

Let’s see… boss who fired Jen, male. Relative who blurts out she was fired, male. Boss at new law firm who demands Jen works as She-Hulk and doesn’t care about Jen’s view on her first case, male. Lawyers laughing like goobers  in conference room as Jen walks by, all male. The way Jen views the whole situation… “I was only hired because I am a hulk, not because I am a good lawyer” despite the fact the new boss said she had them on the ropes with her legal work before she hulked out. Prison guards who Jen mocks with Hannibal Lector line as they are doing their job, male. Thankfully, Bruce was OK with Jen representing Blonsky… though he had to wade through her talking over him for a while (which, were the characters reversed, would have been greeted with outrage).

“Mansplaining” is moments away. Yeah, I’m out. 

Frankly, the first client Jennifer should defend is herself, from discrimination. I mean, she got fired because she is a Hulk, didn't get hired because she is a Hulk and now only has a job if she Hulks out, never mind if she is uncomfortable with it. 

Also, I am really glad that I waited and watched the first two episodes as a package. Because together they felt like an extended prologue, and now the actual story can start. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, swanpride said:

Frankly, the first client Jennifer should defend is herself, from discrimination. I mean, she got fired because she is a Hulk, didn't get hired because she is a Hulk and now only has a job if she Hulks out, never mind if she is uncomfortable with it. 

Based on what we’ve seen in the MCU I really doubt that having powers has been made a protected class. Maybe she could argue it’s a disability. It would probably be a hard case to win. 

18 minutes ago, Dani said:

Based on what we’ve seen in the MCU I really doubt that having powers has been made a protected class. Maybe she could argue it’s a disability. It would probably be a hard case to win. 

Are the Sokovia Accords still a thing? Jen would have to sign or be chased by Dickhead Ross

Edited by paigow
  • Useful 1

Watching law shows is always frustrating but there wouldn’t be much of a show if it was real.  

There was no reason to fire Jen. Very little prosecution ends up in court, let alone in front of a jury. Not all district attorneys appear in court. Many in big cities have desk jobs working on briefs and appeals.

She has a good discrimination case against the da’s office for firing her: skin color, size, medical condition. All protected categories.

Jen’s ethics are quite malleable to take that job with a firm whose clients killed people. Going solo would be so easy given all the free publicity she has.

No lawyer would sign a liability waiver without reading it first.

Any decent lawyer in a parole case would ask who the seven soulmates were because the parole board sure will ask where he plans on living and who he will be associating with if he gets out. 

There are enough superheros whose abilities include shapeshifting that it would be easy to argue it wasn’t him outside of prison but rather someone else pretending to be him. I mean no one wants to admit criminals are waltzing in and out of the fancy high security prison. 

Edited by oldCJ
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, oldCJ said:

There are enough superheros whose abilities include shapeshifting that it would be easy to argue it wasn’t him outside of prison but rather someone else pretending to be him. I mean no one wants to admit criminals are waltzing in and out of the fancy high security prison. 

The frustrating  thing is watching the franchise I can still come back and say, no they are not. There is Loki, S.H.I.E.L.D tech Mission Impossible mask and Nick Fury knows about Skrulls We get a line of dialog about weird abilities coming out of the woodwork but, not having seen Thor yet, that is the only sign of it. Super soldiers and Asgardians however are different but not with the full range of weird stuff powers.. 

14 hours ago, oldCJ said:

Watching law shows is always frustrating but there wouldn’t be much of a show if it was real.  
There was no reason to fire Jen. Very little prosecution ends up in court, let alone in front of a jury. Not all district attorneys appear in court. Many in big cities have desk jobs working on briefs and appeals.
She has a good discrimination case against the da’s office for firing her: skin color, size, medical condition. All protected categories.
Jen’s ethics are quite malleable to take that job with a firm whose clients killed people. Going solo would be so easy given all the free publicity she has.
No lawyer would sign a liability waiver without reading it first.
Any decent lawyer in a parole case would ask who the seven soulmates were because the parole board sure will ask where he plans on living and who he will be associating with if he gets out. 

All of your objections above are valid, @oldCJ, but this one was really nagging me:
    "No lawyer would sign a liability waiver without reading it first"
and I'm not a lawyer and don't play one on TV.
But I did represent myself in a child support case in the 1990s and won in a small rural town primarily because of my tech-savvy Super Geek Powers that enabled me to perfectly format a legal document and get it to spit out of their FAX printer looking like it had been printed rather than FAXed.
So I can buy that a lawyer with superpowers might win some cases they wouldn't have otherwise because they don't know rudimentary things like: Read the fine print before you sign,
because people are easily impressed by something they've never seen before.
But, yeah, these basic mistakes are going to come back to bite, which will probably just give Jen/She-Hulk opportunities to show how she's both smart enough and strong enough to paint herself out of a corner or 4.

Edited by shapeshifter

Some skipping of real life details is necessary in any show. We don't generally see people doing all kinds of things we know they must do, unless it's relevant to the show. Reading paperwork bores most people; watching someone read contracts is worse and wastes time in a thirty minute show. Whether she really would be fired doesn't matter-- it's just the inviting event. And a solo practice is harder than one might think, and requires money for offices, computer, office supplies, and so on. And then you have to actually collect for your services. Not everyone pays their bills well. People who are no longer in danger of going to jail often no longer feel urgency about paying their lawyers. It isn't easy, even if she wanted to. And she may have no experience or preparation for running a business. Being a solo practitioner is running a business, but you are doing that on top of full time lawyering (if you're lucky).

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
On 8/26/2022 at 5:20 PM, Stardancer Supreme said:

I'm not going to sweat Jen taking this new job. Remember, the MCU version of the Avengers (whoever is left from the original team) aren't getting paid anymore, since Tony is gone.  There's not a lot any superhero can do unless they have someone bankrolling the superhero exploits!

It wasn't clear what, if anything, the Avengers were getting paid when Tony was around. Maybe something, because Vision was able to afford a Jersey house. Maybe not that much because Falcon had trouble getting a bank loan so he probably didn't have much money in the bank (although that could be a function of his being a fugitive and being snapped). 

But assuming Tony did set up the Avengers to get paid, there's no reason to think that such payments wouldn't continue past his death. His billions didn't just disappear.

Of course, Jen hasn't yet become an Avenger.

3 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

It wasn't clear what, if anything, the Avengers were getting paid when Tony was around. Maybe something, because Vision was able to afford a Jersey house. Maybe not that much because Falcon had trouble getting a bank loan so he probably didn't have much money in the bank (although that could be a function of his being a fugitive and being snapped). 

But assuming Tony did set up the Avengers to get paid, there's no reason to think that such payments wouldn't continue past his death. His billions didn't just disappear.

Of course, Jen hasn't yet become an Avenger.

I don't know whether it was in Hawkeye, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier or something but IIRC the Avengers specifically did not get paid for being Avengers.  Stark paid for the vehicles, equipment and other expenses but he never gave them any kind of salary.

• Love 1