Type keyword(s) to search

Bad Hair Day - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I can't remember the name of the guy with the sad, sad case of being burned by boiling oil at the age of one year.  I'm kind of surprised at the hairstyle he chose for his "permanent" look.  I think the color looks great with his skin and eyebrows.  Style is odd, but I'm also glad he's happy.

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Love 4

I was a little surprised at the young mother who was losing scalp hair and growing a beard.  I’m glad they helped her.  

The hair transplant was much like those I have seen men get.  She seemed pleased with the result.  Whenever, I see people with their pulled back tight, I think of hair loss.  I limit pulling my hair back for that reason.  

The young man who had his scalp burned as a child was sad. His new hair system, as they called it suited him well.  Since it’s real hair, I think you can cut and style it anyway you want.  

Ref. That case with Dr. Phipps, the blonde doctor.  That office is located next to the office building where I worked a few years ago.  For a minute, I though it was my old office.  It’s good to know she’s there.  I can see how hair loss would be devastating.  I have no idea if health insurance would cover it.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I have no idea if health insurance would cover it.  

In most cases if it's as a result of a medical condition and not merely cosmetic it's more likely to be covered. 

Going through menopause (54) my hair on the sides (and in my cowlick, I think) has thinned abut the vitamins that I take have helped it grow back. I try not to pull my hair back too tightly, Also, I've been growing out my grays and that doesn't help the look either! 

15 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Whenever, I see people with their pulled back tight, I think of hair loss.  I limit pulling my hair back for that reason.  

How can people not know about traction alopecia by now? I see so many POC with no hairlines from wearing tight hairstyles. I'm sure this is something that happens to people who aren't POC, but it's not that common. Every time I see a little girl with a super tight hairstyle it always looks adorable, but all I can think of is how she's going to grow up losing her hair. Why do people still do this?

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, GaT said:

How can people not know about traction alopecia by now?

I agree...and in the future, this show should explain again and again what it is and how it happens.  TRACTION.  ALOPECIA. Perhaps it's not obvious to many; "just some medical term"?  (At least Mr. Jada Pinkett brought a bit of attention to alopecia.)

• Love 3
(edited)

Two words: Naomi Campbell.  Her condition is the most prominent one that I know of, but even when I was a child, my grandmother and aunts warned me to not wear ponytails too often.  Also, JoJo Siwa.  I think she recently changed her hairstyle.  It was pulled back so tight, that it made me feel uncomfortable.  It’s unfortunate she perpetuated that trend in younger followers.  I wonder why she wasn’t warned about it years ago.  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2185897/Naomi-Campbells-shocking-bald-patches-years-relying-hair-extensions.html

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Two words: Naomi Campbell.  

SHOCKING, SunnyBebe ... I looked at the photo.  It looks almost like scarring from a burn!  As for JoJo Siwa's not being warned, I think Caucasians know very little about the problem.  Very little.  If "Bad Hair Day" becomes popular, it can present a great public service for many conditions. (I bet JoJo's mother created her "signature" hairstyle and JoJo had no power to change things.)

I found this online:  One develops traction alopecia from wearing hair pulled too tight. Pulling on the hair repeatedly loosens the hair shaft in its follicle.  For example, you might lose hair if you often:

• pull your hair back into a tight ponytail or bun
  • wear tight braids, cornrows, or dreadlocks
  • use hair extensions or weaves
  • put your hair up in rollers overnight
  • People with very long hair can also get traction alopecia due to the weight of the hair pulling on the scalp.
  • Men can also have it in their beard if they twist it too tightly.
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

Why was the guy with the giant lipoma on the back of his neck on this show? That was a real stretch making it sound like the important thing was his hairline.

This seemed more like an episode of "Dr. Pimple Popper."

Regarding the patient who wanted hair under her arms and in per pubic area -- how many of us were yelling at the TV "It's hidradenitis suppurativa!" Maybe there is a little learning left in the TLC channel.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, mmecorday said:

Regarding the patient who wanted hair under her arms and in per pubic area -- how many of us were yelling at the TV "It's hidradenitis suppurativa!" Maybe there is a little learning left in the TLC channel.

Actually, I was yelling "Are you out of your friggin mind? Do you know how much money people spend to get rid of that hair?"

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 9/8/2022 at 1:01 AM, GaT said:

I felt bad for the psoriasis woman, but why was this on Bad Hair Day? It didn't really have anything to do with hair. 

She had it on her scalp, so I assumed that was why. She should have been on Doctor Pimple Popper. 

• Like 3

The first thought I had when the lady with uncombable hair was introduced was "why not get a shorter hairstyle?" 

She had a very good result after being referred to an expert stylist. I would have liked to see what the stylist actually did and what she used to achieve the result.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
22 minutes ago, CruiseDiva said:

The first thought I had when the lady with uncombable hair was introduced was "why not get a shorter hairstyle?" 

I thought the same thing until she said that when her hair it grew out instead of down.  Having curly hair myself, I totally understand that fear of looking like Bozo the Clown.

• Love 2
On 9/7/2022 at 11:01 PM, GaT said:

I felt bad for the psoriasis woman, but why was this on Bad Hair Day? It didn't really have anything to do with hair. 

Unfortunately, Bad HAIR Day is what TLC named the show.  Two of the the three doctors are dermatologists.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, GaT said:

This show is boring me.

I'm bored and I'm queasy.  For some reason I can watch (with fascination) Dr. Pimple Popper's procedures...but those surgeries where a thin slice of scalp is ripped from the backs of patients' heads causes me to close my eyes.  So...queasy and bored?  I think it's time to rip this show from my DVR.   ("Ripped" is hyperbole)

• Like 2
  • Love 3

I would have been more interested if they had spent some time showing how the burned head guy's 'hair system' was constructed and-especially- how it was, er, installed (?) IMO, he looked ridiculous, but since he's a performer, it certainly makes him memorable.

I'm ignorant about this subject, so...does anyone know if naturally curly hair is sold commercially? It would be kind of useless to a curly-top to have extensions or weaves that are stick-straight and have to be constantly curled to blend in with their own hair texture.

On 9/16/2022 at 7:47 AM, Back Atcha said:

but those surgeries where a thin slice of scalp is ripped from the backs of patients' heads causes me to close my eyes. 

Yeah, I had no idea the scalp was that thick; it seems to take quite a bit of strength for the surgeon to detach it from whatever is underneath.

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
On 9/16/2022 at 8:47 AM, Back Atcha said:
On 9/16/2022 at 2:13 AM, GaT said:

This show is boring me.

I'm bored and I'm queasy.  For some reason I can watch (with fascination) Dr. Pimple Popper's procedures...but those surgeries where a thin slice of scalp is ripped from the backs of patients' heads causes me to close my eyes.  So...queasy and bored?  I think it's time to rip this show from my DVR.   ("Ripped" is hyperbole)

I can deal with this, but it took 2 seasons before I could watch to foot doctor shows.
I'm hoping Dr. Mercy and Dr. Emma come back.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
On 9/17/2022 at 8:24 PM, auntjess said:

can deal with this, but it took 2 seasons before I could watch to foot doctor shows.

I may have mentioned this before, I married a podiatrist...after knowing him only 7-8 months--but doing a lot of stuff with him and and getting to know his family.  I didn't realize how PRISSY he was about everything--and afraid of lots of stuff.  I never heard him mention MOST of the gross things these poor doctors see.  This was in 1964...he was our city's first podiatrist, but sold his practice after ten years.  I don't think he was up to it.  His patients did love and miss him.  Maybe he was one of those doctors the patients on these shows mention, "The doctors said they couldn't help me."  He became a womanizer, a stockbroker who married his secretary, etc. after 20yrs of our marriage.

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Love 2

I think I could have handled that matted hair.  But, it’s time consuming.  I’m glad the lady got her depression treated.  Covid damaged people in many ways.  I think my hair is too fine to get that matted.  

I knew a lady once who had a full chest of hair. She was very feminine, wore feminine clothes and seemed proud of it.  This was not a transgender thing.  She had two children and was a single mother.  I never noticed any facial hair, but lots of chest hair.  Occasionally, she wore low cut blouses that exposed her chest area.  I was rather curious about it, but of course never starred or asked about it.    

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

What do think of the hair doctor with blonde hair?  She commented on her own hairstyle in the first episode, so she’s aware.  I just wonder why she is so committed to the dated look.  No doubt, an updated look with a new cut and style would really be attractive on her.  Sort of stuck in 1992.  

• Love 7

What do think of the hair doctor with blonde hair?

She certainly has a lot of enthusiasm for her line of work. I really wish I had her energy! I can't imagine standing for hours while replanting those delicate hair follicles.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

What do think of the hair doctor with blonde hair?  She commented on her own hairstyle in the first episode, so she’s aware.  I just wonder why she is so committed to the dated look.  No doubt, an updated look with a new cut and style would really be attractive on her.  Sort of stuck in 1992.  

She has a lot of help with staff as well.  How does she pay all those people?  

She works for Bosley, so hair replacement is basically all she does. I guess the mass of hair inspires confidence in the clients?

I don't see this show returning for season 2, it kind of sucks.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, GaT said:

I don't see this show returning for season 2, it kind of sucks.

I don't know if it sucks as much as the content is ridiculously limited.  If you took out the skin diseases (already covered by Dr. Lee and Dr. Emma) there's very little left, and that little bit is as dull as watching someone implant 2500 hair follicles.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, cynicat said:

I don't know if it sucks as much as the content is ridiculously limited.  If you took out the skin diseases (already covered by Dr. Lee and Dr. Emma) there's very little left, and that little bit is as dull as watching someone implant 2500 hair follicles.

They keep trying out shows & hoping one gets as popular as Dr Pimple Popper, but they're failing. Personally, I think the best one was the one about prosthetics, I wouldn't mind seeing another season of that. TLC can't seem to understand that Dr Lee came with a whole YouTube audience when the show started, & I don't think any of these other doctors have that. 

• Applause 2
  • Love 1

They need more true, successful hair transplants.  I think a lot of people suffer with hair loss.  It’s a big concern for many people, however, maybe they don’t feel comfortable going public with it.  It’s similar to unwanted hair.  

Recall the guy who had the massive body hair?  It made me wonder….could you transplant body hair to the head?  For a bald man with lots of body hair that would be great.  I guess if that was possible, they would have considered if for the guy who had head burns.  

They need more true, successful hair transplants.  I think a lot of people suffer with hair loss.  It’s a big concern for many people, however, maybe they don’t feel comfortable going public with it.  It’s similar to unwanted hair.  

Recall the guy who had the massive body hair?  It made me wonder….could you transplant body hair to the head?  For a bald man with lots of body hair that would be great.  I guess if that was possible, they would have considered if for the guy who had head burns.  

It is possible to use body hair, but it is more complicated. Harvesting is more difficult, and the harvested body hair may not match existing hair on the head.

I think with the head burns, it was such a large area that the hair system was a better option.

• Useful 2

Hair from different parts of the body have different "stop growing" rates. I'm not sure how it works, but for example, if your eyelashes & the hair on your head were the same, your eyelashes would need to be trimmed constantly, or they could possible grow as long as the hair on your head. I would think that limits what can be done with body hair.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 9/23/2022 at 4:57 PM, GaT said:

They keep trying out shows & hoping one gets as popular as Dr Pimple Popper, but they're failing. Personally, I think the best one was the one about prosthetics, I wouldn't mind seeing another season of that. TLC can't seem to understand that Dr Lee came with a whole YouTube audience when the show started, & I don't think any of these other doctors have that. 

OK, hear me out before you say "yuck."  On youtube, along with the pimple poppers, there's Audiologist UK, who does earwax removal, and it's a lot more interesting than hair transplants. https://www.youtube.com/c/AudiologyAssociatesUK

Edited by auntjess
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

I liked the eyebrow transplant this week.  Apparently, it was a great success.  

The guy with smelly hair was odd.  I’ve never heard of that.  

Too bad the girl with alopecia couldn’t see her way to continue with treatment.  However, she seemed to be at peace with being bald.  No matter how painful, I think I’d stick it out, if I could afford it.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

No matter how painful, I think I’d stick it out, if I could afford it.  

I don't think it was the pain that stopped her, it was after she got covid & all the hair that had grown in fell out again. She realized that every time she got sick or had some stress, her hair was going to fall out again. It would have been never ending.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2
  • Love 2
(edited)

I think the ones on the other day were the same old episode, but didn't remember them.
How could her hair get so tangled, unless she was too ill to comb it, and had no one else to do it?
Hope this isn't coming back.  I want Dr. Mercy and the body parts one back.

Edited by auntjess
  • Like 2

I think I watched a new episode last night, about scalp psoriasis and a revision of a botched hair transplant.

The woman with psoriasis was making money on YouTube, peeling scabs off her scalp. Yuk. She also was consuming a huge amount of 'medical' marijuana, which she apparently thought was good for her condition (it's not). At the end we met her cute 7 year old son, who she is feeding into obesity (the kid had sizeable moobs, at 7!).

The transplant guy was actually kind of attractive (to me), and would have looked fine bald if he hadn't been growing one long strand to attempt to cover the top of his head with. The final result looked good, although what exactly is this 'bio-something' system from Bosley that the doc attached to the back, below the transplant? Is that the new term for 'toupee'?