Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E09: Gethsemane

• Start Topic

Yawn. 

We get it, Smurf is HORRIBLE. Bringing in prostitutes so Pope could "get over" Julia? That didn't help, and giving Baz a house so he & Julia could have sex elsewhere and he doesn't get that there are strings...more strings than ever. 

I wonder if Renn set up the kidnapping...but I don't even really care any longer.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

There's no way that confession would hold up even past the first court hearing.  Pope even said he wanted an attorney, and she ignored him.  Not being an attorney, I can't say for sure, but that line of talk she gave him could reasonably be assumed to be 'questioning'.  The assault, however, would be a different matter.

Craig is so blind about Renn.  He tells her she can't take Nick to Arizona and maybe get a fresh start, but wants her to stay in druggie land Oceanside because he can't think his own way out of a paper bag.

J either thinks that he's going to be his new girl's savior, or he's just setting her up to be part of the new 'network'.  Neither way will end well.

Ellen Barkin got back on the show, if only in a photograph.  And the writers must have listened to us, because the Dodge Ram was parked in the driveway.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

There's no way that confession would hold up even past the first court hearing.  Pope even said he wanted an attorney, and she ignored him.  Not being an attorney, I can't say for sure, but that line of talk she gave him could reasonably be assumed to be 'questioning'.  The assault, however, would be a different matter.

That is my first thought from Law & Order Law School. However from further studies at The Closer/Major Crimes where a regular Chief Johnson tactic was to get her suspect to revoke their rights on camera I do wonder if Californian law is different from New York state law on that matter.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

It’s interesting to learn how Pope became so messed up.  Could anything be more messed up then paying someone to sleep with your 16 year old son?  

Is J in love with this girl or is there another agenda.  

• Like 1
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, Laurie4H said:

It’s interesting to learn how Pope became so messed up.  Could anything be more messed up then paying someone to sleep with your 16 year old son?  

Is J in love with this girl or is there another agenda.  

I spent many seasons wonder if Smurf did it to all of her boys herself. Then a couple of weeks ago she breaks out the incest accusations for Baz and Julia. 

J. is all about hate a vengeance, what does he know about love?

• Like 1
  • Love 3

There are a couple of history revisions at play here. One is that house on the Strand. Ever since Baz died, the show has acted as though he owned that house. But in the pilot episode it was said to be a rental. Baz came home and Catherine reminded him the rent was overdue; he said he would have cash soon. And they weren't renting from Smurf, because if that were the case then "rent" would just be a front for money laundering. 

Also, after Catherine disappeared, Baz hounded Lena with questions about that night. She remembered being in a car with a man but did not know who it was. Now years later she remembers Pope? Maybe, but it seems unlikely if she didn't remember that the day after the fact. We also never saw her awake during the entire episode.

The kid playing teen Pope is nailing the performance so hard I'm willing to overlook that he's a full head taller than Shawn Hatosy.

Only four episodes left, I have no idea how they will wrap this all up. I'm tempted to say the promo spots they've been running all season give a lot away, but TNT is notorious for misleading promos. 

• Like 2
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Also, after Catherine disappeared, Baz hounded Lena with questions about that night. She remembered being in a car with a man but did not know who it was. Now years later she remembers Pope? Maybe, but it seems unlikely if she didn't remember that the day after the fact. We also never saw her awake during the entire episode.

Maybe she didn't want to give away that it was Pope, her uncle. 

46 minutes ago, Laurie4H said:

He was already "different" & it doesn't help when your mother is a psychopath. Julia can see right through Smurf & Smurf can't stand that. Pope knows deep down that it's wrong, but she was able to mess with his head so much he can't see straight. However, he's getting to a point where she can't control him as well except through sex. Baz sees through her, but doesn't have anywhere else to go except back to his abusive dad. I don't blame Baz later on for turning on her. That it didn't happen sooner is a miracle.

• Like 3
  • Love 5

Maybe she didn't want to give away that it was Pope, her uncle. 

No, she was too little to be that coy. She really had no idea what happened to her mother anyway. At some point she asked Pope if she was dead simply because nobody would tell her where she was and she wasn't coming back.

What bugs me about the flashbacks is how there's nothing revelatory about them. 

That's been the case since they started doing them.

• Love 2

The flashbacks are so boring. How long are they going to dwell on the same situation. Pope being mad at Julia is so weird and gross. Smurf is trash we know all this. If they are so obsessed with the flashbacks then speed them up or something.

There better be something more to the whole J and Penny thing otherwise what a waste of time.

• Like 1
  • Love 8

Pope being mad at Julia is so weird and gross. 

Not necessarily. I think Pope sees them all as brothers and sisters, and more specifically, the three of them as a trio. To stumble in on two of them screwing around must have been shocking. In the first season it was implied Smurf took Baz in when he was just a little boy (although the flashbacks have been re-writing some history) so they would have all grown up together.

The flashbacks themselves have seemed like an annoying gimmick to keep Leila George on the show. At least this season they are somewhat more relevant but it's still annoying.

I'm surprised Ellen Barkin allowed them to use her image, I guess she's not all that mad at them for killing her off.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, Marley said:

Pope being mad at Julia is so weird and gross. 

Totally understandable to me.  It doesn't look like Pope has many friends, in fact, it looks like Baz and Julia are his closest friends.  It seemed like it was this 3 against the world, and against Smurf.  When Pope found them fucking, I felt his sense of betrayal.  He must be feeling super lonely right now.  And of course Smurf had to take advantage of that loneliness.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

It doesn't look like Pope has many friends, in fact, it looks like Baz and Julia are his closest friends.  It seemed like it was this 3 against the world, and against Smurf.  When Pope found them fucking, I felt his sense of betrayal.  He must be feeling super lonely right now.  And of course Smurf had to take advantage of that loneliness.

It seems that they don't have any friends so it's quite incestuous but then who else would Julia or Baz go out with? They're teenagers with raging hormones! Julia (and I doubt Baz or Pope) go to school any longer and Smurf is so territorial. I forget what Derran or Craig said about when they stopped going to school.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Kristi800 said:

It seems that they don't have any friends so it's quite incestuous but then who else would Julia or Baz go out with? They're teenagers with raging hormones! Julia (and I doubt Baz or Pope) go to school any longer and Smurf is so territorial. I forget what Derran or Craig said about when they stopped going to school.

I bet Smurf learned and as her baby boys got older the endless pool parties started 

• Useful 1

I forget what Derran or Craig said about when they stopped going to school.

In Season 1 Deran tells J he didn't go to school. I'm not sure if he meant "never" or just after a certain grade level.

• Useful 1
6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

In Season 1 Deran tells J he didn't go to school. I'm not sure if he meant "never" or just after a certain grade level.

I'm guessing never though I don't know how legally she got away with it but she's Smurf.   She wouldn't want her boys around anyone they might respect or learn anything from.  She wants them fully dependent on her.  She's a sick motherf****r  

Not sure why I'm still watching other than I've made it this far and know that it's near the end.  I really wish they would have just introduced the flashbacks in like one episode then gave them their own serious if they were that determined to do a "tales of a young smurf" story.  They add nothing we don't already know and take time away from the story we came here to watch.

I don't understand how if they've all been doing jobs for the last 10+ years or so (J less time but still) and none of them live a lavish life style. They don't drive fancy cars, wear expensive watches, or clothes, we've never seem them take any vacations.  Heck they don't even eat out!  So...... where is all the money??  Can't at this point they all just fly to an island (or separate ones if they're sick of each other) and chill out?

Also, I know the cop lady is a shitty person and a shittier detective but it's not like she's framing Pope.  He did kill Cath.  He did beat up that kid.  Along with all the other things he's done.  I know it's easy to feel sorry for him since he never had a chance with Smurf as a mom and the way Shawn plays him all broken can tug at your heartstrings but at the end of the day unless he's in extensive therapy for many years he really should not be on the street.  

• Like 2
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, I Want My MBTV said:

Also, I know the cop lady is a shitty person and a shittier detective but it's not like she's framing Pope.  He did kill Cath.  He did beat up that kid.  Along with all the other things he's done.  I know it's easy to feel sorry for him since he never had a chance with Smurf as a mom and the way Shawn plays him all broken can tug at your heartstrings but at the end of the day unless he's in extensive therapy for many years he really should not be on the street.  

Yeah, I agree Pope shouldn't be on the street.   He's in serious need of therapy before he kills again.

However, my main issue with shitty cop lady besides being shitty and doing things illegally, is that she cares nothing about that young guy Taylor, her informant.  I don't know what crime he committed, but I doubt it was something awful like murder.  I'm guessing it's a low level drug offense.   

• Like 1
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

However, my main issue with shitty cop lady besides being shitty and doing things illegally, is that she cares nothing about that young guy Taylor, her informant.  I don't know what crime he committed, but I doubt it was something awful like murder.  I'm guessing it's a low level drug offense.   

She's definitely an awful human being!  I think they also said got her last CI killed so realistically she shouldn't be on the street either.  

• Love 2
17 hours ago, I Want My MBTV said:

I don't understand how if they've all been doing jobs for the last 10+ years or so (J less time but still) and none of them live a lavish life style. They don't drive fancy cars, wear expensive watches, or clothes, we've never seem them take any vacations.  Heck they don't even eat out!  So...... where is all the money??  Can't at this point they all just fly to an island (or separate ones if they're sick of each other) and chill out?

Personally, I think living a “low key” lifestyle is one of the smarter things they’ve done. It keeps the IRS and other Feds/cops away, and they don’t actually have to work hard, they just enjoy the passive laundered income and beachfront properties, and surf. Fancy cars and designer clothes with no legitimate income source are going to draw attention in that town.

Edited by MCMLXXVII
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

So did those girls Smurf brought over for Pope know they were being pimped out? (Edit: apparently so.) Did Pope know Smurf put a hooker on him to take his virginity? Ugh.

Ditto comments upthread, the shady detective has to know Pope's confession won't hold up in court. Is she going to hurry up and raid Craig's and the Cody house before things get that far? Still, whatever incriminating evidence she finds would also likely be thrown out in court.

Did J even know whether Penny's sister was really in the hospital? I think the whole thing could've been a scam to distract him from Pope's situation. I continue to think she's working J to kill her husband and it looks like he'd be down to do it. Knowing J though he'd figure out a way to make it look like self-defense.

Seems they just want to showcase LG and her boobs!  

Well the young guys over on reddit do seem to salivate over her. I guess the producers are mainly writing for them now.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

The interrogation was not realistic where’s his lawyer? He came to jail with his lawyer. What a joke. 

also he should be like he has no idea what she’s talking about Lena. She can’t just go off what Lena said under duress that wouldn’t hold up in court. She was being coached by the cop to say that. How did she get Lena’s file? She didn’t know any of that stuff very illegal. I know they want to have the big jailbreak but you have to make some of this realistic.