Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: More in Heaven and Earth / S01.E08: Incursion

Episode 7 Synopsis:

Convinced the agency has her baby, Molly is determined to find out where. Meanwhile, John discovers new and startling advancements in Ethan's programming, and Kern holds Kryger hostage in an attempt to recover the incriminating video he stole from the ISEA.

Episode 8 Synopsis:

When Molly learns that her baby is alive, she sets out with Kern and Kryger to devise a plan to intercept the baby before Sparks and Yasumoto can relocate him. Meanwhile, John struggles to keep up with Ethan’s rapid development.

Convinced the agency has her baby, Molly is determined to find out where. Meanwhile, John discovers new and startling advancements in Ethan's programming, and Kern holds Kryger hostage in an attempt to recover the incriminating video he stole from the ISEA.

That confirms that Kryger isn't dead, which was unclear from the previous episode.

• Love 2

First episode thoughts: 

Damn, this is moving quickly! 

Molly really put Dr. Sam's brother in jeopardy asking her to look at the Aruna crew's records but she covered well with Sparks, I hope... 

I don't know why Molly thinks "the baby" is hers. The aliens may not even need a partner to procreate. Why didn't she tell Sparks that if anything happened to her, John, or Ethan, that the film was in a journalist (or someone's) hands? 

Kern's dad was an early abductee, right?  I like that's he's on Molly's team now. 

Yasumoto must have taught Ethan Japanese during the time he went missing.

We knew Odin was up to something but nice twist being in cahoots with Yasumoto's GF, while tying in the first episode when she asked John Woods her question. 

Ethan continues to nail every scene.

Second episode thoughts: 

Ethan is showing empathy (for a robot) something he hasn't done before. 

So Sparks goes against orders from Yasumoto to not harm Molly to keep his contact with Katie. 

Julie is so stupid! Is she that desperate for a seemingly good man she won't believe her friends about a background check? And she takes him to Ethan knowing he's vulnerable now. 

Loving Kryger and his droll attitude.

Baby loves his Mama!

Best lines: 

"We made you so you could find your own function."

"Let's just shoot each other now and save them the trouble." 

• Love 2

A lot happened in these episodes. At times they felt disjointed. That said, things did moved along.

I’m glad Sam is back working with Molly, but does HIPPA not exist in the future? Surely an employee wouldn’t be able to just ask for his/her co-worker’s medical records (dead or alive) and are given them without resistance.

Did John know what Molly was up to that night? That she was going to confront Sparks? Because he seemed pretty non-chalant about her not being home.

Ok I guess I can kind of get Molly feeling like she has a connection to her alien baby, but I’m not sure what she wants to accomplish here. She’s saying she wants to get the baby out of there, but then what? It’s not like she can just take him home and raise him like he’s a normal child.

So Yasumoto’s girlfriend has infiltrated his world and is working for the AI resistance. I knew that hot prosthetic guy was up to no good. Speaking of hot prosthetic guy, Julie is an idiot. Considering the work she does and that there are likely people out there who are vehemently against it, I'd think she'd be more careful about who she lets into her life and most especially details about her job eta. Ethan. And many were right, Yasumoto wants to upload his conscious to an AI so that when his earth body dies he can live on.

Ethan is towing the line. It’s interesting that he’s evolved enough that he can shut anyone out who tries to tamper with his core, but it’s also scary. His advancement could turn out to be a good thing or something really bad.

Edited by Enero

After a meh pilot, I didn't watch for a few episodes but after the feedback here I gave it another shot.  Seeing that I missed some key plot points I am a bit confused but I'm glad to see the show has its footing and is moving at a better pace.  

The first half of the episode seemed a bit disjointed - they seemed to jump to various scenes that didn't quite fit together. That said...

Oh Odin - you are the worst date ever - barely paying attention to poor Julie but now we know why. I figured something shady with him. Love the reveal that he lost his arm due to drones and mistrusts robots because of it.

I haven't watched Hannibal but have we ever seen the mommy of a so-called baddie come visit his child. I loved that.

Loved the callback of Yasamoto's girlfriend in episode one, to working Odin and his crew. And all of the arguments that were presented to John about why Ethan is a bad idea - dead on. Everything they said would happen has happened with Ethan. And interesting that initially John wanted to shut down Ethan's development, yet for every previous episode, he's been rooting so much for Ethan to be a kid.

John is way too naive. In fact, I was wondering almost all of the way through - why they didn't just get rid of Molly. She's right there, easily accessible, but then they answered it, so that's good.

Ethan - creepy as ever but so good. Prediction - somehow the alien being's life force/brain will somehow transfer itself into Ethan.

Kern's switching allegiences rang a bit hollow but I like him. Kryger didn't seem to really present much compelling evidence, but if Kern knows everything that happened to Kryger and Molly, plus his own experiences then I guess it makes sense.

Kryger is a riot and like his character too. Another good thing they pointed out - Molly and Kryger are astronauts, not military or skilled in covert operations. I find this show is really good as being a bit more realistic with certain situations. Same with the security guard. I was all about to dismiss him for being too trusting and then, bamn.

Julie treated her workmate - Charlie? - poorly. He obviously likes her and wants to protect her but she's in her own little "I have a crush" world. Feel bad for him.

I do have a disconnect with Sparks being so easily manipulated by a vision of his daughter. Somewhere something logical in his head should make him step back and analyze the situation and realize that whenever he sees his daughter, it's not real. Same with Molly. Her motivations seemed a bit lacking, especially her saying goodbye to her husband just to see her baby which she doesn't even know what it will be, since it's an alien/human hybrid. However, I can see this being explained as Molly and the baby have a psychic-like connection and that's what's drawing her to the baby. Might make sense considering the baby knew she was in danger when she was trapped on the 5th floor.

And security flaw in my mind. Today, emails and texts and tweets are all monitored and can be tracked, etc. In fact, the Library of Congress I think keeps a copy of every tweet sent. So I don't understand how Molly or Sam thinks they can send emails or videos and look up files without being caught. It's all accessible and a place like ISEA would be monitoring everything, especially from those two. Makes no sense.

• Love 1

The only characters in the alien plot who aren't hallucinating are Yasumoto and his sleazy girl friend. I'm not sure what this means. They are all a decisive, take action bunch though. Fun to watch, hope they have a decent conclusion.

In the robot story, John understands what's going on so naturally he's starting to lose it. I'm not sure how I feel about Julie being lobotomized by Odin. I didn't think she was the type to put Friend Zone above common sense. She could use Charlie's social skills in talking to John (or vice versa but he's distracted by Molly's problems.)

• Love 1

Snip

Kern's switching allegiences rang a bit hollow but I like him. Kryger didn't seem to really present much compelling evidence, but if Kern knows everything that happened to Kryger and Molly, plus his own experiences then I guess it makes sense.

I think he switched because he was haunted by what happened to his dad years ago. His dad heard voices while piloting a plane and crashed. As I posted above, perhaps his dad was a previous first contact with the aliens.

• Love 1

When Ethan went for an early morning bike ride to the park, John tracks him down with the GPS tracker built into him -- that would have been handy when Ethan was lost in the fucking woods a couple of episodes ago.

I don't get evil Ron Butterfield -- what is he expecting from the alien, to display an image of his dead daughter 24/7 ?  Sure he misses her, but he has to know it's not her. So WTF ?

When John couldn't login to Ethan's neural net, why didn't he just go flip the manual switch that is most likely embedded inside Ethan's body (right next to the toggle switch that has good/evil options) ?

ETA: we also learned from Molly that the ISS still exists, that the Aruna station was on a mining mission to somewhere (an asteroid, a planetoid, a comet, a moon of one of the gas giants in the Solar System, or maybe in another solar system) where they found some unobtainum that extends Yasumoto's life but they also discovered this lifeform in the process (some sort of alien Starman, the last of his kind, who knows).

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 3

Just...amazing, as far as storyline movement and character development.

Am I supposed to be hating 'John', because I sorta do. He can't answer why there is a leap in Ethan's programming, so in essence, let's lobotomize this child that I have parented for a few years because he gives me scary feels.  No, John, the "procedure" was for your comfort! You are as scared as the supposed plebes who called your son a toaster. You, sir, have control issues.

As for the Anti-Machine/Robot Uprising with Odin and Ms. Deeds(?)? That's good, pick a 6 year old/ young child-sized robot to pick on. To prove that there is a danger. Odin seemed to miss his own point: He should be angry at the long-distance drone operators and their bosses/commanders for the de-humanizing of war. Not a childbot that is trying to approximate humanity. There are other reasons to potentially fear Humanechs, but your war experience should not be taken out on Ethan who has done nothing to you or your fellow veterans.

Okay, the Aruna disaster was 23 months before "now" in the series. Molly was gone for 13 months. So what happened in the intervening 10 months?

I love Gray Gordon! I kind of want to pet his untrustworthy hair and tell him to call his momma. (JoBeth Williams! I hope she's badass! Whatever badassery Gordon has is apparently from her. At least, from the way Momma Kern talked about Dad the Addict.)

The 'Get On Your Knees And Pray' speech was good- not too angry/yelly and the tears.

Hey, John? Try not being an ass to everyone, but especially to the women in your life.

A) Ms. Deeds: Yes, I had an immediate dislike of her casual ' how can you kill it?' attitude, but you know what? I wouldn't apologize for my reaction simply because she's sleeping with our boss. That is treating her as not an autonomous, sentient being, but an extension of the male she has sex with. Yuck. Besides, it shows what a brown-nose you are.

B) Julie: Yes, she is an employee, younger than you, and had harbored feels for you. That doesn't give you the right to accuse her of unethical acts, to just assume she is at your beck and call without any notice, or to barge into her home because you have an issue with what she might have done. It could've waited until work the next day, unless you elected to come in late, as the head of the project and boss.

C) Molly: The woman you supposedly love has been used and abused by Faceless Bureaucracy, yet you believe that just turning over the scanty evidence you have will make the incident "over"? Really? People are being killed to protect some secret, but you, Molly and your Humanechs child will be left alone to live in peace? ::rme::

Where do I sign up for a $1 penthouse? I don't have any secrets, so I may be out of the running. Besides, the eviction notices are harsh.

Poor Charlie, pining for Julie. I hope Julie doesn't tell Odin Charlie did a background check.

Schoolmates of Ethan? It's not only rude to talk in another language in front of someone who doesn't know the language, in the situation you demonstrated, it's un-helpful. If you have problems with Ethan, just talk to him. It's better than having parents and/or teachers having to get involved.

Can we call Ethan Lil' Rabbit Man ( a mash-up of Julie and Charlie's nicknames)? (Of note, John calls him 'E' for short; another layer of distance. I do not remember hearing another nickname used by John.)

Ethan now has feels and John is all dismissive/uncomprehending this show of empathy! Again, do the show's PTB want us to dislike/hate John? I'm thinking of buying a ticket on the Hate Train.

Double-dumbass on Kryger and his damn fake fingerprints!!!

OMG about the previews!

• Love 3

. So I don't understand how Molly or Sam thinks they can send emails or videos and look up files without being caught. It's all accessible and a place like ISEA would be monitoring everything, especially from those two. Makes no sense.

Well Sam did warn Molly that Alan would find out about her researching the medical records of the previous space crew that died during their mission. However, Molly didn't seem to make the connection and was actually shocked and horrified when the guy who'd ran point on tithe doomed mission with Akan's daughter took a suspicious flying leap off the balcony of his penthouse.

I think John wants a human son, not an alien superintelligence. Ethan developing into a Humanech who interfaces with human beings gives him a purpose. Turning into Something Else leaves him without a place in the world. I don't think Julie or even Charlie are thinking about the consequences for Ethan as a person if he doesn't grow up as a human being. 

• Love 2

Well Sam did warn Molly that Alan would find out about her researching the medical records of the previous space crew that died during their mission. However, Molly didn't seem to make the connection and was actually shocked and horrified when the guy who'd ran point on tithe doomed mission with Akan's daughter took a suspicious flying leap off the balcony of his penthouse.

That's the interesting thing about this show. Half the time, they do things in a way that's very believable (to me at least). Like they are astronauts, not military people, or Molly thinking logically and scientifically, not hysterically. Then this. Granted my theory hasn't been confirmed that everything is tracked but it would make sense. If you know you are on ISEAs radar, then you should know to watch your correspondences. Save the futuristic iPhone for another time. Be a bit more stealthy.

ETA:

I think John wants a human son, not an alien superintelligence.

Exactly it. His face when he realized he wouldn't have the chance to be a typical father and teach his kid new things was evident. John is having a problem reconciling his "son" with the Humanich within.

Wow, this show just keeps getting better every week! Those 2 hours flew right by.

I think I'm in love with Gordon now. And Charlie is kinda filling the geeky/hottie Lincoln Lee void, in his own way.

I didn't even get that the birds were a signal from the Offspring to Molly. They just looked like a bunch of random bats to me.

Well, damn, for better or worse (mainly better), this show continues to surprise me in a lot of ways.  Certainly didn't predict that Kern would actually turn on the organization, and form a rag-tag group with Molly and Kryger.  I wish it was a bit more developed, but I enjoyed that twist.  I like that all three seem to have different goals.  Molly just wants to find her child and what exactly happened to her, Kern thinks this might be a sign from a higher being (God, maybe?), and Kryger fears whatever it is, and wants to stop it. Makes for some interesting interactions and drama.

But, basically it looks like the child is making everyone hallucinate and see dead people they are close to.  But, it sounds like Yasumoto believes it might be the source to saving his life?  I'm still a bit confused, but I'll be patient for now.  They are doing a decent job at slowly adding things to the mystery, and I don't feel like they're just treading ground.

For the first time, John annoyed me a lot.  I do understand why he feels the way he does about everything (Ethan's sudden abilities, Molly trying to find her baby, etc.), but it feels like he always take a "my way or the highway!" approach to any argument, and it makes him come off like a jerk when he does that.  Even if he has good points, he needs to find a better way to express it then the way he does now.

Not surprised that Odin ended up not being good.  But Dodd returning and being inline with him was certainly a nice twist.  So, they're part of some kind of anti-technology movement.  Makes sense, since Dodd was so anti-Ethan.  But finding a way to not only be a board member, but Yasumoto's girlfriend, is certainly impressive work.  It sounds like Ethan is their target, which should be fun for everyone.

In random future technology stuff though, I noticed that John was still shaving with a regular razor and cream.  Drat, I would have hoped the future would have found an easier way to do that!  Get on the ball, future inventors!

• Love 2

For the first time, John annoyed me a lot.  I do understand why he feels the way he does about everything (Ethan's sudden abilities, Molly trying to find her baby, etc.), but it feels like he always take a "my way or the highway!" approach to any argument, and it makes him come off like a jerk when he does that.  Even if he has good points, he needs to find a better way to express it then the way he does now.

This! It's why I'm curious as to what the Show wants me to feel towards him. Is there now a trope of Stupid Genius, or is this a typical Science Equals Emotionless with a side of Daddy Issues? (Not only did Ethan ruin my surprise for him, but I didn't get to teach Ethan how to ride a bike the way I wanted to teach him. ::sad face::)

Also, while I understand him wanting to protect Molly, after clear instructions to not come after her and not knowing what she is actually doing, why is he running after Molly in the middle of the night and lying to his son? That should have made him pause a bit longer and possibly change his mind. Also, Odin? Julie isn't a teenager, so staying with her and Ethan isn't cool as you aren't really known.  Of course, John should've felt that was off, but I understand why he didn't. People don't automatically think that a potentially very violent group is going to target them, their work, and/or their child.

Just enjoying the heck out of this show!

Was it just me, or does the goo that Yasumoto sleeps in look like the meteorite goo that disintegrated that poor lad tech a couple of episodes ago?

When I saw that cloud swirling inside the containment chamber, all I could of was that the alien is ..... Under the Dome.  But it didn't last long.  He's out and about acting like E.T., playing coy, hiding in the shadows, peeking around corners, messing with people's heads via hallucinations, etc.

They have decided to call the alien "The Offspring" -- did he escape from the containment chamber because he wants to "Come Out and Play" ?  Do they have to "Keep' em Separated" from everyone but Molly and evil Ron Butterfield ?

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 6

He has to start building his evil robot army somewhere...

I had more affection for the cute little bot from the park than I do Ethan, who gives such good creepy stare.

This episode again highlights the somewhat nonsensical idea of a robot "child" -- he's intentionally dumbed down to mimic a human five-year-old. Why? He's capable of instantly knowing Japanese -- let him! He's capable of riding a bike without lessons -- let him! Because it's silly to try to make him be exactly like a human when he is more capable in many ways than a human and less capable than others, like ability to read people (including bullies) in social situations. All that effort put into restricting the boy-bot, when it could go into advancing his intelligence and social smarts instead.

Edited by Andromeda
  • Love 2

A lot happened in these episodes. At times they felt disjointed. That said, things did moved along.

I felt the same way. In the previous episodes, I thought they did a good job of balancing the two main story lines, but in these episodes, it felt like Ethan and Molly were on different shows. I thinks it's a tone thing. Molly's story has shifted into high action, while Ethan's story is still building suspense.

I think he switched because he was haunted by what happened to his dad years ago. His dad heard voices while piloting a plane and crashed. As I posted above, perhaps his dad was a previous first contact with the aliens.

I really hope it turns out that his dad was not contacted, but just another mundane troubled person with hallucinations.

And I loved the bit where he has to stop interrogating Kryger because his mom stopped by. Very Walter White-esque.

Oh Odin - you are the worst date ever - barely paying attention to poor Julie but now we know why. I figured something shady with him. Love the reveal that he lost his arm due to drones and mistrusts robots because of it.

Odin was actually a suspiciously awful date. He should take infiltration lessons from the woman board member. I was hoping the drone would have been more autonomous, so that Odin would hate AI's specifically. What he described is pretty much how drones operate today. C'mon future, you can do better than that.

Speaking of disappointing future-tech, they have floating toys (anti-gravity?), but they haven't applied that to make hover bikes? The Simpsons established years ago that kids find hover bikes irresistible. :-)

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 4
Not surprised that Odin ended up not being good.  But Dodd returning and being inline with him was certainly a nice twist.  So, they're part of some kind of anti-technology movement.  Makes sense, since Dodd was so anti-Ethan.  But finding a way to not only be a board member, but Yasumoto's girlfriend, is certainly impressive work.  It sounds like Ethan is their target, which should be fun for everyone.

I don't get Odin.  How can he be anti-tech when HE has an arm that was made possible through technology.  If he's so anti-tech, then take off his arm, and then wash your clothes by beating them against a rock.  What an asshole.

• Love 8

It's sad that the network is just burning through the remaining episodes because it's really coming into its own now.

Like others I'm surprised by Julie just telling and showing Odin everything about her work with Ethan/A.I. Isn't there some kind of confidentiality involved?  I guess her life has been consumed by Ethan the past few years and she is just so happy to have someone outside work interested in her that she's not thinking clearly. But I was shocked when she bought Odin to John's house to watch Ethan, I too can't believe John went for that but he probably still felt guilty about the way he treated her earlier.

Molly was good this episode but what is she going to do with the Offspring? Whether or not she's the actual mother it does seem to have imprinted on her to an extent.  But where is the "baby" now?

• Love 1
I don't get Odin.  How can he be anti-tech when HE has an arm that was made possible through technology.  If he's so anti-tech, then take off his arm, and then wash your clothes by beating them against a rock.  What an asshole.

If he's pissed at the military because a drone strike caused him to lose his arm in the 2nd Korean War, why isn't he pissed at the military or the guys piloting the drones instead of the tech that was used ?  Why isn't he pissed at the company that made the explosives that the drone fired (like Raytheon, for example) or even the drone manufacturer (like Northrop Grumman, who makes Predators and Reapers, or Boeing) ? Odin has never said which side of the war the drones were from (at this point in the near future, every military should have armed drones), but if it was a friendly fire accident, it's not the fault of ALL technology ever created (does he want to stop using the lever, the screw, and the inclined plane as well ?  Oh no, that's too much).  Odin is an ass.

This is simply plot contrivance for Odin to put Ethan in Jeopardy (I'll take self-righteous anti-technology rebels with the names of Norse Gods for $800 please, Alex) because you know that Julie and Odin babysitting Ethan is not going to turn out well.

ETA: Nice little tidbit during the anti-tech rebel meeting about how they have been responsible for the power outages and rolling blackouts.

And reviewing that scene again, it sounds like it was the enemy that used drones against them.  So why is he pissed at the US ?  Did weapons makers sell to both sides during the 2nd Korean (you wouldn't want something like a pesky little war to diminish your quarterly profits would you)?

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 5

This is simply plot contrivance for Odin to put Ethan in Jeopardy (I'll take self-righteous anti-technology rebels with the names of Norse Gods for $800 please, Alex) because you know that Julie and Odin babysitting Ethan is not going to turn out well.

ETA: Nice little tidbit during the anti-tech rebel meeting about how they have been responsible for the power outages and rolling blackouts.

And reviewing that scene again, it sounds like it was the enemy that used drones against them.  So why is he pissed at the US ?  Did weapons makers sell to both sides during the 2nd Korean (you wouldn't want something like a pesky little war to diminish your quarterly profits would you)?

I remember Odin was grousing about how these military guys were safely hidden in some bunker, hundreds of miles away, manipulating the drones to attack and causing him to lose his arm. When people are angry, bitter and resentful like he is, logic gets thrown out the window. The fact that a drone can do these things without a traditional mano-a-mano between two humans is maybe his beef.

Was it just me, or does the goo that Yasumoto sleeps in look like the meteorite goo that disintegrated that poor lad tech a couple of episodes ago?

Yasomoto said that the alien was found near the goo on the mined planet. So he thinks the alien will somehow prolong his life?

• Love 1

How can he be anti-tech when HE has an arm that was made possible through technology.  If he's so anti-tech, then take off his arm, and then wash your clothes by beating them against a rock.

(does he want to stop using the lever, the screw, and the inclined plane as well ?  Oh no, that's too much).

Exactly, those. ^   What does "outsourcing our humanity" actually have to do with Ethan? "John" isn't trying to supplant human life, as far as I can tell. In fact, the man is having a severe reaction to being unable to control how his child is learning. John automatically seems to think of The Worst Case Scenario, while others are a bit more chill about it.  Where does Odin's plan take care of the issue of how he lost a limb and  not allowing that circumstance to happen again dovetail with using Ethan as an Example of What Not To Do?  I hope this is actually addressed because it could be interesting. It might add some interest to Ms. Dodds, who I am less than interested in right now.

I am teeter-tottering about Alan Sparks. He is flagrantly disobeying Yatsumoto in having Molly targeted for a hit, but I can feel his pain. I love that Jeannetta  Arnette is his ex, as she can come in and steal a scene (which I hope she does a bit.) Anya, ex-Mrs. Sparks, showed that the loss of Katie wasn't the cause but a final straw for their marriage dissolving, so I can feel for his holding onto Katie's memory as a way of dealing with the world. It's not healthy, necessarily, but it's what he's got right now. (That makes Sparks what number character that actually should be having a professional psychologist help them and isn't?)

They have decided to call the alien "The Offspring" -- did he escape from the containment chamber because he wants to "Come Out and Play" ?  Do they have to "Keep' em Separated" from everyone but Molly and evil Ron Butterfield ?

That made me laugh and feel old, but I enjoyed the reference. Thanks, ottoD !

eta: I started a thread so we can discuss the technology of the show and the ethical questions that are posed by the show and ourselves. It is open for all episodes, so we can go back and hit stuff we left off.

Edited by Actionmage

Speaking of disappointing future-tech, they have floating toys (anti-gravity?), but they haven't applied that to make hover bikes? The Simpsons established years ago that kids find hover bikes irresistible. :-)

For once, maybe the answer really is "Magnets!"  Small objects if I remember numbers correctly can be levitated by repulsion against the Earth's magnetic field. Larger ones too heavy for the Earth's field, like the shower seat, could levitate against the magnetic field produced under the bottom of the shower stall. 

But maybe I'm overthinking it?

Edited by sjohnson
  • Love 1

For once, maybe the answer really is "Magnets!"  Small objects if I remember numbers correctly can be levitated by repulsion against the Earth's magnetic field. Larger ones too heavy for the Earth's field, like the shower seat, could levitate against the magnetic field produced under the bottom of the shower stall. 

But maybe I'm overthinking it?

I forgot the shower seat. That's even more impressive than the toys. I'll comment on the magnet idea in the tech thread.

• Love 1

Ok, it's official.

This must be a "good" show because I fell asleep during the second episode.  I routinely fall asleep during Hannibal (a "good" show but on too late for my weary old self) but stay awake during Under the Dome (so. very. wrong.).

I need to catch up with the second half of this set but I liked what I saw in the first half.  I agree with other posters that the first half was disjointed, though.  LIke watching two different shows.

The whole Odin storyline just seems weak, too.  We already have more than enough going on (aliens, robots, big bad company, crazy henchman with fabulous hair) we don't need Odin leading La Resistance (unless he's going to burst into song, then I might be ok with it. . .might. . .or blame Canada).

I was far too amused when Fabulous Hench Hair (aka sinister Chandler) smashed the glass and then grabbed up that wee dust broom and pan to sweep it right up.  I like how he keeps a dust pan handy like that.  I bet his mother would have approved.  (also, I'm using that as my Disappointing Future Tech of the week.  Still sweeping up busted glass with a wee broom, like a sucker.  Can vaporize the garbage but can't zap some broken glass?  Or better yet, make glass that, if broken just reassembles?  tsk tsk  Maybe one MechaSon Ethan takes over the world, he'll get on that.  Well, after he has a bike ride.)

• Love 2

I was far too amused when Fabulous Hench Hair (aka sinister Chandler) smashed the glass and then grabbed up that wee dust broom and pan to sweep it right up.  I like how he keeps a dust pan handy like that.

Exactly what I said! (I went further to say that he must angrily smash a lot of glasses down there.)

Regarding his sudden change of heart, are we to believe that all it took was pep talk from mom? And I love how he and Kryger went from beating the tar out of each other to being best buddies.

So, are we to assume that the security guard who let Molly into "Claypool"* did so deliberately in order to get her captured, rather than being charmed into it? And that his initial resistance was just a ruse to make her think it wasn't too easy to stroll right in? I wasn't sure what we were supposed to think was happening there.

* I kept imagining funky basslines everytime someone said Claypool.

Edited by beedub

(also, I'm using that as my Disappointing Future Tech of the week.  Still sweeping up busted glass with a wee broom, like a sucker.  Can vaporize the garbage but can't zap some broken glass?

JL, if I may call you that, I will be actively looking for Disappointing Future Tech! Yes, you'd think there's be a garbage zapper in the basement so folks won't have to haul it outside or upstairs. Maybe even work it into the heating system of the house?

beedub, I think that Kryger and Kerns are frenemies currently. Gordon needs to explain plainly to Harmon that, while he understand Harmon's antsiness, that using Gordon's fingerprints is not helpful when trying to keep a low profile! hee

Edited by Actionmage

I do have a disconnect with Sparks being so easily manipulated by a vision of his daughter. Somewhere something logical in his head should make him step back and analyze the situation and realize that whenever he sees his daughter, it's not real. Same with Molly. Her motivations seemed a bit lacking, especially her saying goodbye to her husband just to see her baby which she doesn't even know what it will be, since it's an alien/human hybrid. However, I can see this being explained as Molly and the baby have a psychic-like connection and that's what's drawing her to the baby. Might make sense considering the baby knew she was in danger when she was trapped on the 5th floor.

And security flaw in my mind. Today, emails and texts and tweets are all monitored and can be tracked, etc. In fact, the Library of Congress I think keeps a copy of every tweet sent. So I don't understand how Molly or Sam thinks they can send emails or videos and look up files without being caught. It's all accessible and a place like ISEA would be monitoring everything, especially from those two. Makes no sense.

I completely understand his being manipulated. I of course can't speak for all parents, but I do know that if one of my kids died suddenly and I had no closure or a chance to say goodbye I would be pretty f**ked up to say the least. Add the fact that it was possibly my fault. Shoot, I would welcome the chance to see them and speak to them even though in some buried logical part of my mind it makes absolutely no sense. He's reacting as a father.

As for Sam looking up files, I think she voiced those same concerns and Molly said that she wanted Sparks to know she was looking. I think she said she wanted to see him sweat. They're both aware of being monitored.

• Love 3

Ethan is towing the line. It’s interesting that he’s evolved enough that he can shut anyone out who tries to tamper with his core, but it’s also scary. His advancement could turn out to be a good thing or something really bad.

As others have saide, that makes "Anti-AI Yasumoto's-girlfriend Resistance-Leader" right to question the absence of a "kill-switch"! 

They have decided to call the alien "The Offspring" -- did he escape from the containment chamber because he wants to "Come Out and Play" ?  Do they have to "Keep' em Separated" from everyone but Molly and evil Ron Butterfield ?

One thing for sure, "The Kid Is Not Alright!"

BTW, "Offspring" are old????? I must be ancient, then!!!

I really hope it turns out that his dad was not contacted, but just another mundane troubled person with hallucinations.

He would have had to move to Haven, then...

So, are we to assume that the security guard who let Molly into "Claypool"* did so deliberately in order to get her captured, rather than being charmed into it? And that his initial resistance was just a ruse to make her think it wasn't too easy to stroll right in? I wasn't sure what we were supposed to think was happening there.

That made a lot more sense -- "pwease? [bats eyelashes] pretty pwease" "Well, sure, why not?" was rather stupid. But him doing it to lure her into a trap was clever.

• Love 3

I watch this show on Amazon (which shows episodes four days after they air) so it's tricky to interact with this forum and all the more so when I got to it a couple days late.  So I've got one day to jump in for a bit before isolating myself back into a no spoiler zone. 

First, some thoughts I jotted down as I watched:

Wait: Sam is just back on board, and not worried about her brother, ready to put the heat on Sparks--and we never see any scene establishing a transition?

Odin was remarkably unsubtle with his "I want to hear more about your office, actually".  That seemed very network-y.  Julie should have been smart enough to have her Spidey sense go off there.

Um, so how did Molly get into Sparks's house? And if they are going to hit us over the head with stuff, why not have her be emphatic that if anything happened to her, that video would automatically be released?

At first I thought "wow, world's worst security guard".  But no, glad he turned out to be more competent even if it's not so good for our heroine.

I feel bad for the production team that came up with that chilling ending to episode seven.  They clearly intended that to be something people would chatter about for a week instead of for 3 minutes or whatever.  And I think it would have worked, at least on the modest audience that's watching.

First episode thoughts: 
Damn, this is moving quickly! 

Molly really put Dr. Sam's brother in jeopardy asking her to look at the Aruna crew's records but she covered well with Sparks, I hope... 

I don't know why Molly thinks "the baby" is hers. The aliens may not even need a partner to procreate. Why didn't she tell Sparks that if anything happened to her, John, or Ethan, that the film was in a journalist (or someone's) hands? 

Kern's dad was an early abductee, right?  I like that's he's on Molly's team now. 

Yasumoto must have taught Ethan Japanese during the time he went missing.

We knew Odin was up to something but nice twist being in cahoots with Yasumoto's GF, while tying in the first episode when she asked John Woods her question. 

Ethan continues to nail every scene.

Second episode thoughts: 

So Sparks goes against orders from Yasumoto to not harm Molly to keep his contact with Katie. 

Julie is so stupid! Is she that desperate for a seemingly good man she won't believe her friends about a background check? And she takes him to Ethan knowing he's vulnerable now. 

Loving Kryger and his droll attitude.

Baby loves his Mama!

Best lines: 
"We made you so you could find your own function."

"Let's just shoot each other now and save them the trouble." 

I wish I could edit these quotes down, as I really just wanted to respond to the question about Molly feeling maternal toward the "offspring".  We did see that her DNA was mixed with the "baby's" alien DNA, so it would appear that it's not just a parasite or whatever.  And I do think Molly is not "in her right mind".  She seemed to be hinting as much in her message to John.

I agree BTW that the "Let's just shoot each other now" bit was a brilliant line.  Kryger started out as a stock, shadowy, back-from-the-dead "there's a conspiracy...I can only say vague, nonspecific things about it for now" type character, and I originally thought he'd be dead before we'd hear much from him (more like the guy who "jumped" out of the $1 penthouse).  So it's been a very pleasant surprise, what a distinct and amusing character he's become.

When Ethan went for an early morning bike ride to the park, John tracks him down with the GPS tracker built into him -- that would have been handy when Ethan was lost in the fucking woods a couple of episodes ago.

I don't get evil Ron Butterfield -- what is he expecting from the alien, to display an image of his dead daughter 24/7 ?  Sure he misses her, but he has to know it's not her. So WTF ?

When John couldn't login to Ethan's neural net, why didn't he just go flip the manual switch that is most likely embedded inside Ethan's body (right next to the toggle switch that has good/evil options) ?

ETA: we also learned from Molly that the ISS still exists, that the Aruna station was on a mining mission to somewhere (an asteroid, a planetoid, a comet, a moon of one of the gas giants in the Solar System, or maybe in another solar system) where they found some unobtainum that extends Yasumoto's life but they also discovered this lifeform in the process (some sort of alien Starman, the last of his kind, who knows).

LOL about the "toggle switch".  And great point about the GPS tracker.  Maybe we can fanwank that he added that tracker in response to the woods incident?

He has repeatedly had trouble with Ethan taking off when he's not supposed to.  Isn't there something in that semi-AI home security system that can prevent this?

I think it's interesting how audience reaction to Ethan seems similarly polarized as the audience reactions to Samantha, the AI in the excellent recent film Her.  Many people seem to see them as an ominous threat.  I see them as evolving past human intelligence, but as essentially benevolent, not something to fear and want to destroy.

• Love 1

I can't remember what it was exactly (and I have no way of going back to watch), but I seem to remember that there was some sort of throwaway line in episode where Ethan gets lost about John turning off his GPS for some reason. Of course I'd seen the previews for that episode which made it pretty clear that Molly's father was going to lose Ethan, so I remember thinking it was sort of clunky and obvious. I also remember in one of the episodes that the alien baby's DNA is part Molly's, so I can understand why she has feelings towards it.

I noticed during the last episode that they're advertising a "Season One" DVD set already. Does that seem overly optimistic, or is there any word yet that this show will be around after this run?

I can't remember what it was exactly (and I have no way of going back to watch), but I seem to remember that there was some sort of throwaway line in episode where Ethan gets lost about John turning off his GPS for some reason. Of course I'd seen the previews for that episode which made it pretty clear that Molly's father was going to lose Ethan, so I remember thinking it was sort of clunky and obvious

John turned off Ethan's GPS after they left the house when they where running from Sparks. They were heading to the island where Molly's Dad lived and John did it so they couldn't be tracked. Of course, since they were heading to her Dad's house, they may as well have left the GPS on  since it took Sparks about five minutes to figure out where they went. Anyway, that is why later that night, when Ethan got lost in the woods, John couldn't look up his location.

Edited by Desperately Random
  • Love 1