Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

When a new charismatic pastor joins their congregation, Abishola is thrilled that Bob has renewed interest in church, but less so when her mother takes a new interest in the pastor. Also, when Dottie gives out bonuses to upper management, Bob must make sure he doesn’t lose his best employee.

Airdate: 05/23/2022

Season finale!

47 minutes ago, Keywestclubkid said:

I’m confused does Christine still work for the family company? I thought she still worked at the other sock business 

She does. I thought Oh Goodwin at that final scene

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Keywestclubkid said:

Did I miss the part that explained why she and Douglass got upper management bonuses? 

I think it was inferred because it was a family business and just family got the bonuses until Goodwin’s cousin joined management 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, DanaK said:

I think it was inferred because it was a family business and just family got the bonuses until Goodwin’s cousin joined management 

Because they all used to be upper management…that makes sense but when she was explaining it to him it still made it sound like they were upper management 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Keywestclubkid said:

Because they all used to be upper management…that makes sense but when she was explaining it to him it still made it sound like they were upper management 

I think it was inferred they still got the bonuses because they were family even if they were no longer in management or the company

• Love 2
(edited)
20 minutes ago, DanaK said:

I think it was inferred they still got the bonuses because they were family even if they were no longer in management or the company

It just doesn’t seem like something Dottie would continue to do especially with Christine working at another sock company and per how she has been show to treat them in past episodes.. just something I thought was odd 

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, Keywestclubkid said:

It just doesn’t seem like something Dottie would continue to do especially with Christine working at another sock company and per how she has been show to treat them in past episodes.. just something I thought was odd 

I thought it was a little odd too, but maybe Dottie continues to do it in hopes of controlling her children

• Love 3

“Are they golfing buddies? Why is God betting with the Devil?” I laughed so hard at this because that is my reaction to the Book of Job, too. 🤣

Man, I want to go eat at that church! 😛

• Love 8

Goodwin has a right to look for another job, but Christina is wrong to poach one of Bob’s top employees. Bob kept MaxDot going after their dad died. If it weren’t for Bob, she wouldn’t have still had a privileged life.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, LittleIggy said:

Goodwin has a right to look for another job, but Christina is wrong to poach one of Bob’s top employees. Bob kept MaxDot going after their dad died. If it weren’t for Bob, she wouldn’t have still had a privileged life.

Yeah, it is kind of weird how Christina doesn't get judged at all for her sketchy side on the show, like leaving MaxDot and then still getting a BONUS from MaxDot, but then poaching Goodwin from MaxDot, using the inquity of the bonus system SHE was partaking in? Some kind of nonsense.

Then again, the whole plot was idiotic (and not just the whole "Christina getting a bonus when she doesn't work there anymore" deal), as Bob is way too smart of a businessman to not fix the situation with Goodwin before it got out of hand. Heads of companies can often be moronically myopic, but we have never seen that from Bob, so it didn't work here. It was just a case of plot induced stupidity. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
(edited)

Goodwin was so entitled in this episode. And for what? He is not management, end of story. If he really is such an important team leader the company should appoint him as such (in a middle-management level), above the other workers but below Bob / Dottie / Kofo, and then it would make sense for him to get a bonus and wield some more power within the company that he supposedly already does in an unofficial capacity. Not doing this official appointing can be seen as an issue in the organizational structure of MaxDot, but those kinds of problems persist in real life too so that situation is true to life in that aspect.

Edited by Harvey
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Harvey said:

Goodwin was so entitled in this episode. And for what? He is not management, end of story. If he really is such an important team leader the company should appoint him as such (in a middle-management level), above the other workers but below Bob / Dottie / Kofo, and then it would make sense for him to get a bonus and wield some more power within the company that he supposedly already does in an unofficial capacity. Not doing this official appointing can be seen as an issue in the organizational structure of MaxDot, but those kinds of problems persist in real life too so that situation is true to life in that aspect.

Goodwin has been entitled since the show started he is one of my least favorite side characters because of that 

• Love 2

I loved how the new pastor welcomed Morenike into the church and shut down the shade being thrown her by Ogechi. I'm OK if Ogechi doesn't come around, it would be far more realistic than her realizing her thinking (and culture) is wrong.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, Harvey said:

Perhaps, but Bob had a chance to promote him into management but chose to promote his cousin instead. Bob keeps making promises to Goodwin that he's the backbone of the company and that he'll take over one day, but given it's a family-run company and how much power Dottie wields, I'm not sure Bob can make good on that promise, at least with any real certainty. Plus, Dele might end up taking over at some point. So Goodwin has a right to seek offers elsewhere. It's just a little sketchy that he's doing it with Cristina's place of employment

• Love 9
10 minutes ago, DanaK said:

Perhaps, but Bob had a chance to promote him into management but chose to promote his cousin instead. Bob keeps making promises to Goodwin that he's the backbone of the company and that he'll take over one day, but given it's a family-run company and how much power Dottie wields, I'm not sure Bob can make good on that promise, at least with any real certainty. Plus, Dele might end up taking over at some point. So Goodwin has a right to seek offers elsewhere. It's just a little sketchy that he's doing it with Cristina's place of employment

Good points! 
Could this whole Goodwin kerfuffle be leading up to a merger of the 2 sock companies? 

Do we know the name of the other sock company?
(Wondering if it might combine with MaxDot to be something unintentionally hilarious.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I loved how the new pastor welcomed Morenike into the church and shut down the shade being thrown her by Ogechi. I'm OK if Ogechi doesn't come around, it would be far more realistic than her realizing her thinking (and culture) is wrong.

I had to look up Ogechi (Kimberly Scott) to place her as  Chukwuemeka's mother
--I don't think Chukwuemeka had any speaking lines in this episode?
So Ogechi wanting to out Morenike to the new pastor is probably fueled by a grudge against Morenike for making Ogechi appear foolish in her community (for having tried to get a lesbian to be the wife of her son).
My point being that this goes beyond general cultural taboos. 
With the pastor whom Ogechi is crushing on having welcomed Morenike into the flock, this could provide a richer context beyond the usual prejudice stories for a future episode involving Ogechi and Morenike. 

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, DanaK said:

Perhaps, but Bob had a chance to promote him into management but chose to promote his cousin instead.

That was because Kofo was better qualified for the position.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, DanaK said:

Even though she works for another company she may still have an interest in Maxdot as a part owner.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4

I jus assumed the bonuses were really like shareholder checks. 

Goodwin did come off a little entitled but Dottie came off as a bitch (of course I don't really like the character so I'm not the most objective). The comments regarding employee benefits and treating them well was really gross. I hope Goodwin does find a company (or at least company owner) that has a better attitude towards their workers. 

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, callie lee 29 said:

The comments regarding employee benefits and treating them well was really gross. I hope Goodwin does find a company (or at least company owner) that has a better attitude towards their workers. 

Bob did say "I hate myself." 
Maybe Goodwin going to Not-MaxDot Co. will cause Bob to make some serious changes.
But the socks come from China, right? 

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

But the socks come from China, right? 

Yes. They are manufactured in China. I don't know if it is MaxDot's own plant or if it is subcontracted work. 

I really wished Bob would have done the right thing here.  

I think Goodwin is a supervisor or maybe a middle manager but not executive management. When talking about the checks Dottie said it was for executive management. Maybe Bob did too. This, to me, would be VP and above. 

I kind of like the idea that Christina is luring away the good employees. MaxDot needs to change its practices if they want to keep good talent. I think it is an interesting thing to look at next year, how MaxDot keeps afloat in the midst of the Great Resignation without offering better to the employees, many of whom have been there forever. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, DanaK said:

Perhaps, but Bob had a chance to promote him into management but chose to promote his cousin instead. 

His cousin got the promotion Because of his Ideas working and actually MADE THEM MONEY in that regard... Goodwin got mad because he was there LONGER that it should have been Goodwin and he threw a fit demanding that his cousin give HIM the job and quit remember? It just showed his entitlement that it was his turn no matter if someone was more qualified, fit the job better and was actually GOOD at it then him (thats not someone you want in upper management you want someone that can spot talent and nurture it not try to stomp it out because ITS HIS TURN).. I’m just saying his cousin wasn’t handed a promotion just because .... 

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 3

Does anyone else feel like this episode didn't have a "season finale" feel to it? Maybe because they werer renewed well in advance, but nothing particularly big or outstanding happened. We know that when the show comes back in October, everything will just carry on as usual.

• Love 9

If Bob is serious about Goodwin taking over the company keeping him on the floor is not doing anyone any good. He should be shadowing Bob and taking over responsibilities. Bob should take him to Asia to meet the manufacturers, yet no one but Bob seems to know about the succession plan. Meanwhile Goodwin should have a contract and a COO title. That whole story arc makes no sense to me. Is Goodwin going to be packing boxes one day and signing payroll the next?

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
(edited)

Even if the new pastor is hooking up with Aboshola's mom, he won me over for telling Morenike that she's welcome in their church. I really want to hear his take on the story of Ruth! Was that the season finale? It didn't feel like a finale.

Things are going to get awkward with Christina now poaching employees from the families business. It feels like Bob would have shut down Dottie and the "bonuses" ages ago, unless its more like shares than actual bonuses. The business stuff with Christina continues to confuse me, why is she even bothering with the extra money if she's so amazing at her new job? Well, I guess the answer is obvious, but I wish they would show more of Christina being so awesome at her new job instead of just showing her hanging around the business she no longer works at. 

The after church lunch looks amazing!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 3