S09.E21: Marvin Gerard: Conclusion Pt. 1

• Start Topic

Why is there Part 2???

• Marvin outruns Ressler
  • Dembe cuts off Marvin, Ressler tries for a head shot but hits Dembe
  • Park is also ready to grab Marvin, but the loud gunshot incapacitates her
  • LOL 7
(edited)

Well, they picked an outdoor location for Red's lodge that looks like it could be Owego, and the Southern Tier Expressway is a thing in that general area. Kudos for getting that somewhat right, and for making me homesick. Spader could have pronounced "Owego" with a slightly longer "e" though.

So that's why Marvin targeted Harold. Not well thought out, Marvin. You're no Raymond Reddington.

Wow, it's over already? The mark of a good episode. And Harold, Red's not wrong when he says your team doesn't function without his team.

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • Love 1
(edited)

12 hours ago, paigow said:

Why is there Part 2???

Ah! the good ole flashbacks inserted to stretch this out for a 2 parter!

For all of Marvin's devious efforts, he could only manage to be #80 on the list?! Was Red exaggerating how much Liz meant to him to give Marvin this number?

Marvin didn't bother give the go ahead to the sniper to shoot Mierce, just proves he doesn't believe in her witchcraft (she can't put a curse on him or anyone)!

Maybe Weecha is in the hospital from all the doughnuts and lattes you gave her Red and not stress.

What proof does Cooper have on Marvin to get a US Marshal task force to go after him?! He just has a video of a toast at an old wedding for a connection to the lawyer. Marshals should have told Cooper to get lost.

Lacroix is a Foolhardy boy! An appropriate name for a fool that got himself killed in a drive by and couldn't make a simple suggestion to Marvin to get a sniper or poison (not a tracker) for Liz to ingest from the start, instead they came up with a series of dumbass plans that took up a season! And he got his wife killed too! Dumbass!

Marvin thought about all of loose threads Red was going to pull to find Liz's killer and still couldn't derail or just kill him at any time when he returned from the jungle or in his silver bullet while he was asleep. His next move was to frame Cooper!? Makes no sense! He went through all this to still be Red's number 2 (fitting for this POS)!

For all the money Marvin has, LaCroix couldn't find/procure better looking "Professional Ladies". That must have been the time Marvin determined he was useless and had to go when the time was right.

Telling that Dembe doesn't respects Aram's authority and instead goes straight to Cooper to inform him he is going to assist Red.

I wonder if any of those crime bosses Red was begging for their commitment had money in Caelum Bank and lost access to their money thanks to Red!!?? And now they are all dead. This entire season Red has taken down a lot of crime bosses, all for his pursuit of Liz's killer. Why do these people still want to be associated with Red? Is there no criminal version of TMZ or a criminal newsletter to report that Red can't be trusted?

How can they be master criminals and still have flip phones?

Marvin made Neville sound real creepy describing him to Van Dyke. 

Beford Dembe goes into the closet with Red, he fires a single shot at no one in the main room! That's some FBI training. Park should be proud! 

We are told it's real tough to be a part of Henrick Fisker's team, yet we see these "badass" mercenaries fail to take out Red/Dembe hiding in a non-bullet proof closet and are easily taken down by a FBI group led by Ressler (of all people). Embarrassing! Money not well spent Marvin! I guess they were on a sandwich break, didn't hear the FBI helicopter arrive and were caught/taken by surprise.

Then Henrick is taken down easily by Red on the roof top. Ice baths doesn't not make one a good tactician! 18 minutes! And Red prevented him from beating or tying the Guiness record. Just not his day!

Mierce should be careful and not fully darken Red's face. Not only would Red have trouble with Marvin but other groups would be after him too. We don't want Red cancelled.

Why is Red blaming Cooper for Marvin's escape? He should have shot Marvin the moment he on the escalator arrived to the top and sent him tumbling down (Surprise Mother"bleep" and boom)! But No! The jerk had to monologue us to death! This is some crime boss Liz was supposed to follow! That's twice Red had him in his grip and let him go!

Marvin shoving Red down was hilarious! Best part of the episode!

Why is Laura Sohn on the show, if they are regulating her character to the Post Office and make no contribution to the plot? Hope she's proud collecting a paycheck for this non-performance!

Not even a cliffhanger to end this! I was fearing Dembe was going to be shot by the sniper. Or was that guy Red's sniper?

Edited by mxc90
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, NeenerNeener said:

Well, they picked an outdoor location for Red's lodge that looks like it could be Owego, and the Southern Tier Expressway is a thing in that general area. Kudos for getting that somewhat right, and for making me homesick. Spader could have pronounced "Owego" with a slightly longer "e" though.

I've never heard of "Owego" and thought is was a mistake. I've heard of "Oswego," and thought that was the reference.

Turns out I was mistaken and there exists both.

1 hour ago, preeya said:

I've never heard of "Owego" and thought is was a mistake. I've heard of "Oswego," and thought that was the reference.

Great... That means the real bad guy is Redd Reddington or Raymund Reddington...

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, preeya said:
17 hours ago, NeenerNeener said:

Yep, there's an Owego, NY. West of Binghamton, east of Elmira. Spader should have pronounced it oh-WE-go, emphasis on the 2nd syllable.

• Love 1
(edited)

To think I stayed up late to watch this since it got pre-empted by a baseball game (which shows you how much the local affiliate cares about the show).  At least it went along fast enough.

Agree that Red had at least two opportunities to take out Marvin.  Marvin could have taken Red out any number of times but didn't because he loved him, whatever Marvin...  Also, yes, way easier ways to take out Liz than that byzantine plot Marvin came up with.  Like I said before, all he had to do was wait for Red to die and then take out Liz.  Also, how long before Red figures out that the reason Cooper was able to find him at the airport was because Dembe convinved him to let Fisker not only live but agree to have the task force pick him up and then give Cooper the clue about the cameras that had filmed everything.  Goes to show how well Red and his folks pay attention to things because otherwise why wouldn't they have incapacitated the cameras when they first got to the roof?

As for Red washing his hands of the task force, yeah, he's done that before and how well did that work for him and the task force?

I'm hoping for a satisfying resolution to this mess but I'm prepared to be disappointed.  At least I'm hoping next season will be free of Liz flashbacks.

Edited by milkyaqua
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, milkyaqua said:

Also, how long before Red figures out that the reason Cooper was able to find him at the airport was because Dembe convinved him to let Fisker not only live but agree to have the task force pick him up and then give Cooper the clue about the cameras that had filmed everything.

That would be filmed AND recorded everything. Since when do outdoor surveillance cameras record sound? Is that a real thing or only a Blacklist thing? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I got hung up on Cooper and the other task force people calling each other "Agent Ressler and Agent Park will lead the team" and so forth. Don't they know each other well enough to just say "Ressler and Park will lead the team"? But no, it's always "Agent So and Agent So." Any posters here work someplace where your boss and co-workers call you by your first and last name, or by your position, "IT Manager Smith will pick up the sandwiches for today's lunch meeting." Where I worked, it's "Mike will will pick up the sandwiches for today's lunch meeting." We all knew who Mike was, no title needed.

I spent more time wondering about that than actually watching the show, for which I am grateful.

• LOL 6
On 5/20/2022 at 8:27 PM, NeenerNeener said:

So that's why Marvin targeted Harold. Not well thought out, Marvin. You're no Raymond Reddington.

Wow, it's over already? The mark of a good episode. And Harold, Red's not wrong when he says your team doesn't function without his team.

He could have pronounced Susquehanna River correctly as well, hanna vs honna. At least for those of us who grew up in the southern tier on the banks of said river ☺

• Love 2
10 hours ago, preeya said:

It is worse, there is also an Otego NY

• LOL 1
55 minutes ago, connieinnc said:

He could have pronounced Susquehanna River correctly as well, hanna vs honna. At least for those of us who grew up in the southern tier on the banks of said river ☺

I missed that one. If the cabin had been in southern PA I wonder how he would have pronounced "Monongahela".

• LOL 1

Oh man !! We're forced to re-watch Lizzie's death.  Again.  Which is not a good thing.
Only this time we get to see that Marvin Gerard has the sads while having her killed.

Marvin Gerard only gets #80 on the Blacklist.  Really ??   At this point next season Weecha will end up being #39 (which is available).

This episode is the retcon of all retcons -- courtesy of Marvin "It's not fair" Gerard.

Still no sign or mention of the dogs, Robert Vesco's cat, or Sierra the Cat.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Only this time we get to see that Marvin Gerard has the sads while having her killed.

I believe those were tears of joy. Mine certainly were.

So Marvin just decided not to get caught at the end there? Damn, these writers are getting lazy. And somehow they ended up at a regional airport that is just busy enough to provide that perfect crowd to screen against snipers while not being busy enough for folks to just be stuck inside ('cause only so many of 'em will fit through a door at the same time, ya know?) when something starts going down.

The army Marvin rented has apparently never heard of grenades. They just spray and pray, hoping for a wall-bang (which they almost get!) but if they had cleared the house like actual soldiers would have, Red and Dembe would both be dead.

Marvin hates Elizabeth because she's not worthy of the mantle which is fair. But neither is Martin for being stupid about it. Foolhardy boys indeed, that was about the only highlight of the episode right there. Here's a plan: let Lizzie pop a cap in Red. Once she has the keys to his kingdom she will be predictably lost at which point you can offer your assistance. Tell her you are taking her someplace where all the answers can be found (she fell for that move every goddamn time) and instead just lock her into a room with a couple of starving dogs and a stray cat. Let nature take its course.

I feel like Red's "you done fucked up now" speech to Cooper is somewhat at odds with his admission in this episode that he is painfully often screwed over by the people he trusts the most. Red, every week you get away with literal, actual murder because of the staggering incompetence of this team of the FBI's Least Wanted. What exactly did you think was going to happy here, good buddy? 10-4?

Speaking of which, OMG Dembe, don't be an accessory to murder like we all are several times over! For that matter, didn't pre-FBI Dembe shoot his share of mooks too? Like, wasn't murdering people on Red's behalf his job not too long ago? But he's left that life behind now! It's a shame he left it in the same drawer Ressler keeps his hillbilly heroin in.

• LOL 4
15 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Oh man !! We're forced to re-watch Lizzie's death.

One of my pet peeves about shooting sequences is that they always show blood on the other side of the body from where the victim was shot.  That means the bullet came out of Liz's chest (blood spot on blouse).  Why was Red not hit by the bullet, as he was standing right in front of her?  It's the same with cars.  Blood spatters on windshield, but the windshield never cracks.

• Love 2
On 5/21/2022 at 9:30 PM, NeenerNeener said:

I missed that one. If the cabin had been in southern PA I wonder how he would have pronounced "Monongahela".

Fortunately, that one runs through Pittsburgh, not anywhere near Delaware County and

Easttown

• LOL 4

Not buying Marvin as the big bad. Not impressed by the mercenaries who are allegedly “like nothing Reddington has ever seen.” But all for them shooting Park.