Type keyword(s) to search

S23.E22: A Final Call At Forlini's Bar

• Start Topic

7 minutes ago, linger said:

This woman wasn’t just victimized. She was victimized and terrorized for years. It’s not like she and her husband had a fight one day and she decided to murder him. Battered woman syndrome is real. Not to mention this particular woman’s medical/psychological damage from repeated head trauma. How does putting this woman in jail accomplish anything? And beyond this specific victim, under what circumstances is a battered person allowed to defend themselves? Only if their abuser stands in front of them with a weapon in their hand threatening to kill them? That’s not exactly how it works. The point Olivia made on the stand that a person can be a threat to you whether or not they’re in front of you, or in the next room, is sad but true. And expecting the victim of trauma, in the midst of a traumatic situation, to think clearly and take into consideration all the ramifications of the law, is unrealistic at best, and very dangerous at worst.

I actually agree with you about this specific case, the woman was abused for years and didn’t belong in prison, but I’m referencing other past cases where Olivia has pretty much condoned vigilante justice and breaking the law by women who’ve been victimized. The season 19 finale and that awful episode Branded from season 12 come to mind.

• Love 3
On 5/20/2022 at 9:17 AM, illdoc said:

Did anyone else reach for a barf bag during that "OMG you are so wonderful. Everyone should kiss your feet. You are God's gift to the world." speech the therapist gave to Olivia at the beginning?!!!!

I’m assuming this is meant to be hyperbolic, but even if we tame it down a bit that he basically said to her: 1) You need to take a hard look at what is preventing you from at least taking steps to determine if a relationship with Elliot is in the cards or not since this holding pattern is unhealthy. Seems reasonable to me. 2) You are a good person, and you are worthy of love. Also true (opinions on this board not withstanding). Olivia is the child of rape, raised by an alcoholic mother who was emotionally neglectful and abusive. It makes every bit of sense that she would have deep-seated issues as to whether she was worthy of love or happiness. It’s not unusual for people who are victims of abuse as children to go on to fight for victims in their adult lives. Basically, doing the thing for those people that nobody did for them. It’s also not unusual for them to desperately want love, but feel they are unlovable, and to crave stability but not know how to behave if they get it, since their formative years were so chaotic.

And beyond all that, what exactly was he supposed to say to her? You suck as a person, no wonder nobody loves you, you are dooooomed? He is her therapist. It’s his job to support her, not kick her when she’s down. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
On 5/21/2022 at 8:45 PM, dttruman said:

The real reason "that the actual police bit plot was not great" was because there was all that soap opera drama concerning Benson.

I am also thinking that besides Stabler and Barba giving testimony on how Benson is so great, we need to add one more name to that list. I would say Dr. Peter Lindstrom is going to throw his hat into the ring also

That would be wrong in so many ways. You can't have therapists sleeping with patients, big no no

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, pertho said:

That would be wrong in so many ways. You can't have therapists sleeping with patients, big no no

Agreed, but this show is a fucking soap opera where almost everyone falls in love with St Olivia, so maybe Lindstrom will be the next one to fall for her and have his character thrown under the bus. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, linger said:

Battered woman syndrome is real. Not to mention this particular woman’s medical/psychological damage from repeated head trauma. How does putting this woman in jail accomplish anything? And beyond this specific victim, under what circumstances is a battered person allowed to defend themselves? Only if their abuser stands in front of them with a weapon in their hand threatening to kill them? That’s not exactly how it works. The point Olivia made on the stand that a person can be a threat to you whether or not they’re in front of you, or in the next room, is sad but true. And expecting the victim of trauma, in the midst of a traumatic situation, to think clearly and take into consideration all the ramifications of the law, is unrealistic at best, and very dangerous at worst.

It's not like we aren't sympathetic to this lady's plight. it's just the way the producers and writers presented it to us viewers. It seemed like all of precautionary measures were in place. There was a restraining order against him, he had to wear ankle monitor, and she had a concerned social worker there to explain things. IMO, going to his place for the charger was a very lame excuse. As for Benson testifying, I thought a shrink would have made a far better witness, especially Delia's. And with this surprise ailment at the end, it just made me wonder.

Not that I would want to, but I think I could almost make up a plausible excuse for murder. At the very end when they were talking about her needing a lot of money to pay for treatment for this ailment, we heard that her dead husband was given a settlement (now it's hers) and she can afford the treatment now. Who's to say it isn't a few hundred thousand dollars. So she uses the battered wife syndrome as an excuse to kill husband and walk away with the money.

I am just going by the facts they presented us with and the possibilities that they left open.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, pertho said:

He won't sleep with her, he will just profess his undying love for her in some way. Maybe by dropping her as a patient and then waiting around for her until she needs someone to take the blame for something she might do (all in the name of the greater good, of course).

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
56 minutes ago, dttruman said:

IMO, going to his place for the charger was a very lame excuse. As for Benson testifying, I thought a shrink would have made a far better witness, especially Delia's. And with this surprise ailment at the end, it just made me wonder.

The doctor that testified was a psychiatrist & a radiologist, so she was a shrink. The repeated head trauma diagnosis didn’t feel like a surprise to me considering her behavior & the earlier discussions of past abuse. And I think going to this place for the charger was deliberately lame, in so much as who in their right mind would do that. She wasn’t in her right mind, which was the point.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, dttruman said:

Not that I would want to, but I think I could almost make up a plausible excuse for murder. At the very end when they were talking about her needing a lot of money to pay for treatment for this ailment, we heard that her dead husband was given a settlement (now it's hers) and she can afford the treatment now. Who's to say it isn't a few hundred thousand dollars. So she uses the battered wife syndrome as an excuse to kill husband and walk away with the money.

I am just going by the facts they presented us with and the possibilities that they left open.

The facts that they presented us were from a qualified doctor with regard to the head trauma, the victim’s consistently erratic & illogical behavior, and the testimony of a police captain with more than two decades of experience.  From what I saw, she never gave the impression of a person plotting to murder their husband for an insurance settlement. In fact, she seemed quite happy to go to jail after the incident with the police car. She just wanted to be safe. And when she was actually in jail after the murder, she seemed content to stay there. That was quite a con she would’ve had going, and nothing prior to that throwaway line about the settlement set it up, so the idea feels a bit random. 

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, linger said:

The doctor that testified was a psychiatrist & a radiologist, so she was a shrink. The repeated head trauma diagnosis didn’t feel like a surprise to me considering her behavior & the earlier discussions of past abuse. And I think going to this place for the charger was deliberately lame, in so much as who in their right mind would do that. She wasn’t in her right mind, which was the point.

I thought the shrink would have testified in the beginning instead of having Benson testify. Was Benson testifying for the prosecution at the beginning or for the defense, I can't remember? I thought the prosecution puts on it's case first, so it would have to be for the prosecution. But it sure sounded like Benson was helping the defense. As for the surprise trauma diagnosis, it was hardly explained and we were left with just accepting it. Now if they would have expanded on it a lot more with solid evidence, it would have been better, but they decided it was far better for Benson to have her emotional moment with Barba.

• Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, linger said:

The facts that they presented us were from a qualified doctor with regard to the head trauma, the victim’s consistently erratic & illogical behavior, and the testimony of a police captain with more than two decades of experience.  From what I saw, she never gave the impression of a person plotting to murder their husband for an insurance settlement. In fact, she seemed quite happy to go to jail after the incident with the police car. She just wanted to be safe. And when she was actually in jail after the murder, she seemed content to stay there. That was quite a con she would’ve had going, and nothing prior to that throwaway line about the settlement set it up, so the idea feels a bit random. 

Considering the defendant had a fixation to make excuses to see her husband, there was no testimony by the case worker, and testimony from a very bias police captain with more than 10 years of being more of a advocate than a police officer. Isn't it a coincident that the shrink was also a radiologist and we're forced to take for granted her CRT problem, just so that the trial would conclude immediately. And why was that even mentioned at all, it made no sense at all, but it still could be a reason to kill. All I am saying is that this episode was probably put together around Benson's personal matters that were so much more important than the case itself.

Edited by dttruman
31 minutes ago, SummerDreams said:

Rafael is my eye candy 🍭 I was devastated when he left the series. He is 20 years older but I have a crush on him 😍

He is a good actor, a good drama series would be nuts not to pick him up. It would terribly surprise me if he signed on with a Sitcom.

• Love 1
(edited)
11 hours ago, linger said:

This woman wasn’t just victimized. She was victimized and terrorized for years. It’s not like she and her husband had a fight one day and she decided to murder him. Battered woman syndrome is real. Not to mention this particular woman’s medical/psychological damage from repeated head trauma. How does putting this woman in jail accomplish anything? And beyond this specific victim, under what circumstances is a battered person allowed to defend themselves? Only if their abuser stands in front of them with a weapon in their hand threatening to kill them? That’s not exactly how it works. The point Olivia made on the stand that a person can be a threat to you whether or not they’re in front of you, or in the next room, is sad but true. And expecting the victim of trauma, in the midst of a traumatic situation, to think clearly and take into consideration all the ramifications of the law, is unrealistic at best, and very dangerous at worst.

I agree with this ↑, but the battered woman initiated the last contact with her assailant, because of a phone charger for a dying cell phone. To me that's a bit of a stretch, even with their prior history. The old saying goes "it takes two make a (fill in the blank)"  She should have never gone to his place.

And as someone mentioned previously, the plot and the CTE problem were introduced just to satisfy time constraints and accommodate the episode, with minimal basis on reality. CTE is diagnosed during autopsy. It should have never been mentioned in court.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 4
On 5/21/2022 at 11:33 PM, Xeliou66 said:

Nothing has happened on the other show, St Olivia hasn’t even been on it much, all that happened on the OC finale was Stabler and his task force took down the dirty cop ring and Stabler received a medal - Olivia didn’t even appear. Cragen made a cameo though, that was nice.

Barba’s “I love Olivia” speech was cringeworthy, it’s such a shame what they did to the once great Barba, chopping his balls off, making him a baby killer, and turning him into Benson’s bitch boy. It’s really a joke how many characters they’ve thrown under the bus and how many characters fall in love with Olivia.

What baby did he kill?

• Love 1

Question.I watched the final scene again with Liv and Rafael. I didn’t watch the Wheatley trial episode.

why was him representing Wheatley keeping her safe?

also, bringing up Elliott.  Was that just him in love with Liv and being jealous ?

i really hope next season the we get closure or move it along between Liv and Rafael or Liv and Stabler.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, Diana Berry said:

Question.I watched the final scene again with Liv and Rafael. I didn’t watch the Wheatley trial episode.

why was him representing Wheatley keeping her safe?

also, bringing up Elliott.  Was that just him in love with Liv and being jealous ?

i really hope next season the we get closure or move it along between Liv and Rafael or Liv and Stabler.

I am staying away from that because I can only take two L&O shows, ReBoot and SVU, then I got to get some sleep

• Love 1
On 5/20/2022 at 5:04 PM, tennisgurl said:

Barba had to bow and scrape for Olivia's forgiveness for daring to do his job while she just spent the whole episode looking at him like something she stepped on

Not to be a bit picker, but I didn’t see a lot of bowing and scraping. Barba seemed to be the one doing most of the deflecting and self-justifying, not even acknowledging that Wheatley was in fact guilty. It was just “He’s dead, when are you going to stop being mad at me, and why aren’t you madder at Stabler?” And that nauseating declaration. Did I miss the part where he actually said “I’m sorry”?

Look, I totally agree with you guys that he shouldn’t have to grovel for doing his job, but the fact that he refuses to acknowledge that his whole defense of Wheatley was bullshit and had all the defense attorney dirty tricks he used to despise doesn’t sit right with me either.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, linger said:

She wasn't in her right mind. For me, running to her abusive husband for a charger was on the level of sticking a knife in an electric socket. I felt no amount of advocacy would stop her from doing something stupid and I became disinterested in her. 

2 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

What baby did he kill?

He pulled the plug on a baby in the episode where he was tried and found not guilty. Lunacy.

• Love 2
(edited)

Why people still watch the show if they dislike Benson so much? I mean her holiness can be annoying, but still, I do not mind, maybe we do need a holly character in the times we live on, even if that is saint-Olivia. I am sick of antiheroes and "good" guys that cross the lines etc etc. Especially when in real life violence has been escalating so much.
What frustrates me the most is the "Stabler-Benson will they or not" hanging over 2 shows for 23 years now.
This is ridiculous, make it happen or end it. 

Edited by Zaffy
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Not to be a bit picker, but I didn’t see a lot of bowing and scraping. Barba seemed to be the one doing most of the deflecting and self-justifying, not even acknowledging that Wheatley was in fact guilty. It was just “He’s dead, when are you going to stop being mad at me, and why aren’t you madder at Stabler?” And that nauseating declaration. Did I miss the part where he actually said “I’m sorry”?

Look, I totally agree with you guys that he shouldn’t have to grovel for doing his job, but the fact that he refuses to acknowledge that his whole defense of Wheatley was bullshit and had all the defense attorney dirty tricks he used to despise doesn’t sit right with me either.

He also doesn’t see how patronizing he was being, trying to “protect” Olivia. She didn’t want or need any “protection “ and she told him so. Would he have been so concerned with protecting another man?

4 hours ago, Zaffy said:

Why people still watch the show if they dislike Benson so much? I mean her holiness can be annoying, but still, I do not mind, maybe we do need a holly character in the times we live on, even if that is saint-Olivia. I am sick of antiheroes and "good" guys that cross the lines etc etc. Especially when in real life violence has been escalating so much.
What frustrates me the most is the "Stabler-Benson will they or not" hanging over 2 shows for 23 years now.

I have this same question every time I visit this forum, lol.

• Love 8

I feel very attached to this show, I have watched it in various times in my life when I was not feeling well and it has helped me. I like Olivia and Fin, I dislike Rollins and Carisi, they are very "cold" for my taste. Still it's a show that helps me relax and feel nice.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Cinnabon said:
6 hours ago, Zaffy said:

I have this same question every time I visit this forum, lol.

Let me give you'll a little sports analogy that may well represent many of us in this forum. Have you been a dedicated fan to a sports team that was very good for a time and you have season tickets to all their home games each year, but the team has been terrible of late due to the teams poor play, the coach not doing his job, or the owner, not getting the right coach or players. Yet you keep redeeming your season tickets in hopes of the team becoming very good again. Believe it or not it happens sometimes, that's why we're fans of the show, but disgruntle a lot.

• Love 7

I get the passionate feelings of certain characters can be baffling or annoying, but this is a reminder, a gentle one, that these opinions are allowed, and people can watch the show for all sorts of reasons.

So let's stop asking people to justify what they feel, post what you like or dislike, and live and let live.

Thank you! Carry on.

• Love 7
59 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

I get the passionate feelings of certain characters can be baffling or annoying, but this is a reminder, a gentle one, that these opinions are allowed, and people can watch the show for all sorts of reasons.

So let's stop asking people to justify what they feel, post what you like or dislike, and live and let live.

Thank you! Carry on.

I respect you tolerate all opinions, but you must also understand, hate-watching does not make this forum as pleasant for those who simple enjoy it and want to discuss about it.

1 hour ago, dttruman said:

Let me give you'll a little sports analogy that may well represent many of us in this forum. Have you been a dedicated fan to a sports team that was very good for a time and you have season tickets to all their home games each year, but the team has been terrible of late due to the teams poor play, the coach not doing his job, or the owner, not getting the right coach or players. Yet you keep redeeming your season tickets in hopes of the team becoming very good again. Believe it or not it happens sometimes, that's why we're fans of the show, but disgruntle a lot.

People are nuts for their sport teams, I find it hard to believe they could care so much about a TV show.
Benson has been the co-lead for 12 seasons and the only lead for 11. 
I really do not get what people expect to happen at this point. Apparently this is a successful recipe for the network.
I had the same issue with Star Trek Discovery. Many things frustrated me about it, but most of all the lead. I gave up after 2 and half seasons when it was more than obvious that the creative team would not change the show's formula. And I am a Trekkie, we re crazier than any sport team fans 😁
Still, whatever rocks your boat!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
35 minutes ago, Zaffy said:

I respect you tolerate all opinions, but you must also understand, hate-watching does not make this forum as pleasant for those who simple enjoy it and want to discuss about it.

It's board policy. All I can tell you is to put posters on ignore or scroll. If you do not know how to use the ignore filter, just send a PM to myself or @txhorns79, and we will be happy to help you (or anyone else).

But this is not a fan site. It welcomes all opinions, positive and negative.

So - as I said in the mod note - live and let live. Thank you.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
35 minutes ago, Zaffy said:

People are nuts for their sport teams, I find it hard to believe they could care so much about a TV show.

Have you ever read some of those comments on Youtube? Some of those comments praise her to no end. When a person like myself puts in a comment concerning how Benson is more of an advocate than a police detective, I get chopped off at the knees, no matter how many references I point out.

• Love 1

I mainly watch the show because I’ve been an L&O franchise fan for years, and for a long time it was the only L&O show on up until the last year. Now that the Mothership is back, I may quit SVU, I can only take so much soapy drama and Benson worship. This episode was truly awful, and I fear that season 24 is going to be horrid based off of this, plus the change in showrunners makes me nervous, I had plenty of criticisms of Warren but he did get some things right, I worry that a new showrunner may sink the show to even worse depths. So I’ll just have to see, I’ll watch the start of next season and then make my decision, but this episode left me with such a horrid taste in my mouth with no optimism that the show will get better and plenty of opportunities for it to get worse. I’m so glad the Mothership is back.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

I mainly watch the show because I’ve been an L&O franchise fan for years, and for a long time it was the only L&O show on up until the last year. Now that the Mothership is back, I may quit SVU, I can only take so much soapy drama and Benson worship. This episode was truly awful, and I fear that season 24 is going to be horrid based off of this, plus the change in showrunners makes me nervous, I had plenty of criticisms of Warren but he did get some things right, I worry that a new showrunner may sink the show to even worse depths. So I’ll just have to see, I’ll watch the start of next season and then make my decision, but this episode left me with such a horrid taste in my mouth with no optimism that the show will get better and plenty of opportunities for it to get worse. I’m so glad the Mothership is back.

Yeah, writing can get abysmal in the SVU universe.
After a point (5th, 6th season, I do not remember lol) SVU basically became the vessel for Chris and Mariska to "shine". They had chemistry, the audience liked them but the writing focused so much in them and forgot any logical storytelling. The show became over melodramatic, over the top and well... silly (I am polite here). Some of the seasons were so bad, I am really wondering how/why on earth I kept watching. 
They were a few seasons relatively good in the Benson era, if you omit the persistent serial killers and everything about Noah.
It was clever they gave Stabler his own show, I do not think SVU would be able to handle again the 2 big stars.
I think they should rename both shows,  L&O Olivia Benson and L&O Eliot Stabler :)

• Love 4
On 5/22/2022 at 3:23 PM, dttruman said:

It's not like we aren't sympathetic to this lady's plight. it's just the way the producers and writers presented it to us viewers. It seemed like all of precautionary measures were in place. There was a restraining order against him, he had to wear ankle monitor, and she had a concerned social worker there to explain things. IMO, going to his place for the charger was a very lame excuse.

What really rang true to me in this episode is how unpleasant I found the woman personally.  It's so true that many of the people that you fight for, whether social worker, therapist or cop, are really, Logically I can see that the repeated trauma caused her to behave stupidly in spite of all the safequards in place but I don't know that I could have been as sympathetic as Rollins was to her.

Poor Barba. He needs to cut his losses and run because Olivia is never going to get over her rose-coloured view of Stabler. It is our legal system that everyone deserves the best defense that they can get and it is up to the prosecution to prove the case. I hate that Olivia asked Barba not to take the case because it was Stabler's wife and I hate that Barba took it to protect Olivia.

I liked Olivia's therapy session. There was the sense that the therapist knew her well and could call her on stuff others didn't or couldn't see. Obviously something is still wrong in her life or she wouldn't be waking up at 4 a.m.

I thought the therapist was gay. Hopefully not even this show can cause Olivia to change someone's sexual orientation. (Or maybe I'm thinking of Major Crimes too much.)

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

What really rang true to me in this episode is how unpleasant I found the woman personally.  It's so true that many of the people that you fight for, whether social worker, therapist or cop, are really, Logically I can see that the repeated trauma caused her to behave stupidly in spite of all the safequards in place but I don't know that I could have been as sympathetic as Rollins was to her.

Poor Barba. He needs to cut his losses and run because Olivia is never going to get over her rose-coloured view of Stabler. It is our legal system that everyone deserves the best defense that they can get and it is up to the prosecution to prove the case. I hate that Olivia asked Barba not to take the case because it was Stabler's wife and I hate that Barba took it to protect Olivia.

I liked Olivia's therapy session. There was the sense that the therapist knew her well and could call her on stuff others didn't or couldn't see. Obviously something is still wrong in her life or she wouldn't be waking up at 4 a.m.

I thought the therapist was gay. Hopefully not even this show can cause Olivia to change someone's sexual orientation. (Or maybe I'm thinking of Major Crimes too much.)

IDK, even when one’s career, family, and personal life are all going well, there are plenty of reasons to feel a lot of anxiety and fear these days. 🤷‍♀️

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Cinnabon said:

IDK, even when one’s career, family, and personal life are all going well, there are plenty of reasons to feel a lot of anxiety and fear these days. 🤷‍♀️

I agree that there is.

But when Olivia has a well-paying, steady job, co-workers she likes, and a son that she loves and who loves her, there is something more wrong if she's consistently waking up at 4 a.m. and crying in her therapy session.

• Love 5
(edited)
On 5/21/2022 at 2:33 PM, preeya said:

"Are You Team Stabler or Barba?"   

I am Team Hair Clip.

No woman willingly wears her hair like a curtain over the outer edges of her eyes, obscuring her peripheral vision.  It's like wearing horse blinders; cops need to see.

Drives me crazy.

Edited by candall
  • Love 3

Caught the rerun again and among the many, many things Barba did and said that irked me, his judgmental attitude about Stabler felt uncalled for. Like he knew what kind of guy he was better than Olivia did.

What did you expect, you helped acquit the guy who killed his wife! You KNEW he was guilty and you refuse to acknowledge that! Stabler has his flaws, but Barba is literally the last person entitled to judge him for his temper. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Caught the rerun again and among the many, many things Barba did and said that irked me, his judgmental attitude about Stabler felt uncalled for. Like he knew what kind of guy he was better than Olivia did.

What did you expect, you helped acquit the guy who killed his wife! You KNEW he was guilty and you refuse to acknowledge that! Stabler has his flaws, but Barba is literally the last person entitled to judge him for his temper. 

It makes me sick how this show has crapped on Barba, the best SVU ADA, just to placate the Benson/Stabler shippers. It’s a travesty how they castrated Barba and made him into a lovesick puppet of Benson. They’ve done a horrible job with his character, between his ridiculous exit of becoming a baby killer and the awful ways they’ve brought him back since, it’s just shameful. At this point I would be perfectly fine with never seeing or hearing about Barba again because I’m afraid they will just trash him more. 

• Like 3
19 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

It makes me sick how this show has crapped on Barba, the best SVU ADA, just to placate the Benson/Stabler shippers. It’s a travesty how they castrated Barba and made him into a lovesick puppet of Benson. They’ve done a horrible job with his character, between his ridiculous exit of becoming a baby killer and the awful ways they’ve brought him back since, it’s just shameful. At this point I would be perfectly fine with never seeing or hearing about Barba again because I’m afraid they will just trash him more. 

It’s just like how The Mothership turned Paul into Pod!Paul. If Barba ever comes back, I’m just going to call him Pod!Barba.

• Like 1
On 5/23/2022 at 10:55 AM, Zaffy said:

Thank You! Olivia is the lead character she isn't going away. I can't stand Stabler so I avoid Law and Order Organized Crime. I've never seen any chemistry between Elliot and Olivia so that plot needs to end. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1