Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E11: Utlilities

• Start Topic

Main topic:  Utilities

Also: Eurovision song contest (Instead of meat I eat veggies and pussy); Alabama law ban on providing gender affirming options to persons under the age of 18; the delightful delight of Alison Hammond

Original air date 2022.05.15

I NEED to hear the full thing of that Norway Eurovision song now XD. OMFG, that is hysterical. Loved John cracking up at the other clip they showed as well. 

"We're going to follow something liberals don't: reality." This from a woman who belongs to the same party that has people who believe in the QAnon conspiracy. Okay. I am so incredibly fucking sick and tired of hearing about these shitty laws. And these people passing them are the same ones who love to go around claiming that they're all about "limited government". Bull. Shit. Good on that judge for trying to block at least some of this insane nonsense from going ahead. 

"What harm am I doing?" Good question. One that none of these politicians will ever be able to come up with a coherent, logical, decent answer to. John's rant said it all. 

Alabama getting raked over the coals in general tonight, it seems, between the above story and the callout of the people running the public utilities commission. Amazing how even here, we have to hear people whining about the "liberal special interests" and other nonsense like that. Good lord, people, get the hell over yourselves. 

I've caught reruns of "Laugh-In" on the Decades channel, and PG&E was getting called out and criticized a lot there, too, often in their "Fickle Finger of Fate" segments. And that was back in the 1960s. So...good to know nothing's really changed in that regard, apparently ::/. 

Twinkle. 

• Love 9

RIP John Oliver. The state of Alabama didn’t get him, but Reddy Kilowatt sure did.

Man, Alabama is a shitshow. Also, it’s never a fun thing where you have to be told that the episode was filmed before the full story came in on the massacre in Buffalo. Of course, the disclaimer didn’t say that, but the implication was there.

7 hours ago, Annber03 said:

"We're going to follow something liberals don't: reality."

Liberals also apparently believe in unicorns and Martians. Looking back, I’m wondering why John didn’t say that would be a selling point to become a liberal. Unicorns! And Martians!!

Damn, that British lady has a helluva laugh. You can enjoy it without feeling dirty . . . unlike John’s unhealthy animal fixations. #RIPJohn

• Love 6

Is Alabama going to inspect every package arriving from out-of-state for contraband hormone pills? Probably in violation of USPS regulations AND civil rights... 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Liberals also apparently believe in unicorns and Martians. Looking back, I’m wondering why John didn’t say that would be a selling point to become a liberal. Unicorns! And Martians!!

Oh they're real, they just stay hidden from Republicans. All that "voter fraud" they couldn't prove? Martian unicorns.

• LOL 5

Full disclosure:  I worked for PG&E for 3 years and was later a contractor there for a year.  They are scum.  They have been caught and caught and caught again doing illegal things.  Every time they try to act like they are shocked such a thing could have happened at their company.  They tried to bribe a judge after the San Bruno pipeline explosion.  They have such a long history of doing truly terrible things.  They are also, as John said, the only show in town.  Nothing in the utilities coverage surprised me. 

I'll need to cleanse my palate by watching Eurovision.  

• Useful 6

Look Ollie.

Alabamans keep on electing imbeciles, like Kay Ivey, to run their governments. So they get what they deserve when they freely and openly vote those people in. And yeah, they're okay with all of what they do. So your attempt to stand up for them is all wasted!

That opening from the Latvian entry of Eurovision cracked me up. Perhaps Ollie can invite them to New York to perform that song on his show.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Popples said:

The official video is available in the US!

Ah, good, thanks :). Home from work and able to listen to this now.

That may well be the most ridiculous song I've ever heard, in the best way possible, and now it's going to be stuck in my head the rest of the night, if not longer :D. The video's wonderfully bizarre, too. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Victor the Crab said:

Look Ollie.

Alabamans keep on electing imbeciles, like Kay Ivey, to run their governments. So they get what they deserve when they freely and openly vote those people in. And yeah, they're okay with all of what they do. So your attempt to stand up for them is all wasted!

Eh, I'd disagree on that to some extent. I live in a state that is currently run by people like Kay, too, and I don't support any of their policies. Nor do a lot of other people who live here. And I know the same can be said for many in Alabama, too. Add in all the stuff we've heard about how the GOP is actively trying to push voter restriction laws that would make it significantly harder for Democratic-leaning voters to be able to vote, and that would also explain why it's so easy for Kay and others like her to gain and remain in power. I hesitate to put all the blame on the voters for why a lot of this stuff is going on. Those of us in GOP-led states who are trying to push back against these crazy policies need all the help we can get. 

• Love 11

I was so transfixed by the Eurovision performance and appearance of Subwolfer that it took me a moment to realized that the lyrics were equally insane!

Twinkle sure wasn't afraid of making it clear which Alabama residents she cared about in her ad.

• Love 3

No offense to any Alabamans, but from everything I've heard about that state, I wouldn't expect them to be so concerned about protecting children. God, I'm so sick of those old, white cis people who think they know what's best for teenagers they've never even met. And spare me all that "as God made us" crap, because nobody actually follows that. That governor at least didn't seem to have her hair colored, but she was definitely wearing make-up. Did God make you that way, Governor? And as Trevor Noah recently pointed out, there are constantly ads for pills for erectile dysfunction, so old men also don't think that that's just what God intended for them and keep fighting it. I guess that change to one's own body with the help of medication is fine?

That Eurovision song was great, it's been long since I watched a full show but they always have many entries crazy like that. Bless them for it!

• Love 2