Type keyword(s) to search

Love On The Spectrum (US) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I binged the whole series last night & I found it fascinating. I want to say that 63 year old Steve, who wants a relationship so much, just turned down a perfectly lovely woman who seemed to “get him” because he didn’t find her attractive.  That’s why you’re alone, Steve.  I was kind of surprised that Kailin didn’t get a second date with Peter - he seemed quite taken with her.  

• Like 1
(edited)
On 5/20/2022 at 8:31 PM, humbleopinion said:

As with the last sets of AU parents, the Americans want so much for their children to be accepted and loved.

Subodh's silent father tearing up with happiness for his son says it all.

I loved his mother too! I like how she mentioned it being little things that make her happy. I thought for sure the father wasn't into it but his taers brought me to tears. 

On 5/20/2022 at 3:08 PM, Caseysgirl said:

I binged the whole series last night & I found it fascinating. I want to say that 63 year old Steve, who wants a relationship so much, just turned down a perfectly lovely woman who seemed to “get him” because he didn’t find her attractive.  That’s why you’re alone, Steve.  I was kind of surprised that Kailin didn’t get a second date with Peter - he seemed quite taken with her.  

Kaelynn mentioned that she doesn't want children, so that might have been a deal breaker. 

Steve shouldn't have to settle. He has been alone 63 years, let him wait for the right person. Did anyone think his voice was like Bob Ross? Very soothing. He would really shine in voiceover work. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 2
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

Steve shouldn't have to settle. He has been alone 63 years, let him wait for the right person. Did anyone think his voice was like Bob Ross? Very soothing. He would really shine in voiceover work. 

I agree! I found Steve to be such a gem, and he is clearly in a very good position in his life, in spite of his loneliness and lack of love life. If the chemistry just ins't there he should keep looking to find someone who makes him truly happy. 

I love the AUS version of this show and was so glad to find that they made a US one. Though I wish it had more episodes, I just love seeing the success stories and wish nothing but good things for all of the people on this show. 

• Love 4

Spoiler alerts!
Dani's galloping libido temporarily cooled when she found out Solomon worked at Ralph's and had zero interest in anime.

After filming ended she smooched on him one more time before dumping the curly headed spiritualist yet again.

Dani comes off harsh and brusque but she is totally convinced that she won't be satisfied unless she succeeds in finding a partner is both her romantic and work soulmate.
Applause for Adan doing well on his first date, he was charming and engaging.

They matched for passion for anime but Dani was not attracted to him...still had Solly on the brain...

Peter didn't call Kaelynn for a second date. He was a disappointment.

Her roommate is the best.

• Like 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, humbleopinion said:

Spoiler alerts!
Dani's galloping libido temporarily cooled when she found out Solomon worked at Ralph's and had zero interest in anime.

After filming ended she smooched on him one more time before dumping the curly headed spiritualist yet again.

Dani comes off harsh and brusque but she is totally convinced that she won't be satisfied unless she succeeds in finding a partner is both her romantic and work soulmate.
Applause for Adan doing well on his first date, he was charming and engaging.

They matched for passion for anime but Dani was not attracted to him...still had Solly on the brain...

Peter didn't call Kaelynn for a second date. He was a disappointment.

Her roommate is the best.

I thought Adan was really  nice looking, I preferred him to Solomon. 

Kaelynn did mention not wanting kids so that might have been a deal breaker for Peter. 

• Love 5
On 5/22/2022 at 2:52 PM, libgirl2 said:

Was I the only one who found Dani annoying? 

Dani threw me for a complete loop. When she blurted out that she was falling in love on the date with Solomon and he walked away I completely thought that she had scared him off and then he came back and they seemed to really hit it off. I wonder what her family will think when they see that part of the date.....hopefully they will coach her a bit about guarding her feelings more until she is certain of them. 

It was pretty interesting how she did a total switch when she found out that he worked at Ralph's. I think it's understandable that she is so stuck on being with someone who also likes anime but she may need to loosen up on her requirements a bit. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2
On 5/22/2022 at 5:52 PM, libgirl2 said:

I don't recall if she had a dating coach, but someone needs to explain to her that she needs to hold off on asking questions about life goals until she gets a few dates with the person under her belt. And that they don't need to have the exact same interests/job as her. Not sure how effective that would be, though.

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, cmfran said:

I don't recall if she had a dating coach, but someone needs to explain to her that she needs to hold off on asking questions about life goals until she gets a few dates with the person under her belt. And that they don't need to have the exact same interests/job as her. Not sure how effective that would be, though.

Exactly, she has to learn to just get to know the person and it is okay if they have differing interests. She also needs to learn to not blurt out that she loves someone at the first meeting. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Dani is a true blurter...it erupts from her....she just can't help herself...bless her heart.

Interesting she found Solly so attractive that she was all over him....he's okay looking but not seeing it.

Kaelynn needs a male version of her understanding roommate, someone that knows Kaelynn will want to decide what to eat and drink before going to a restaurant so she is not put on the spot.

Hope there is a Season 2 with Adan getting his own blind date opportunity, James getting a second chance, and of course, Dani for more soulmate searching.

Need LOTS cameras following her and Adam as they go to 2022 SanDiego Comic Con together.

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Dani is a true blurter...it erupts from her....she just can't help herself...bless her heart.

Interesting she found Solly so attractive that she was all over him....he's okay looking but not seeing it.

Kaelynn needs a male version of her understanding roommate, someone that knows Kaelynn will want to decide what to eat and drink before going to a restaurant so she is not put on the spot.

Hope there is a Season 2 with Adan getting his own blind date opportunity, James getting a second chance, and of course, Dani for more soulmate searching.

Need LOTS cameras following her and Adam as they go to 2022 SanDiego Comic Con together.

You are right, she can't quite help that, can she? I hope she is able to work with someone at some point. 

Edited by libgirl2

I was glad to see that this version was not "Americanized" and the Cian was still at the helm. I think the coach from Australia did a better job than the American coach. I was happy for Abby and her dude. I loved that she asked him if he wanted to go on a cruise on the 3rd date and Subodh wanting to change his facebook profile to married after the first date.

Although Adan wasn't insulted by Dani's talk about how inner beauty also matters, I was insulted on his behalf. I think having some guidance would help her a lot.

The parents/friends are all so loving and supportive. I do wish Steve have found someone. My husband said he should read children's books. His voice is soothing.  I think he may need to stray away from Eharmony to find someone. I think someone who is also on the spectrum may be good for him. I dunno.

• Love 6
On 5/22/2022 at 2:52 PM, libgirl2 said:

Nope. I found her quite annoying and extremely judgmental. Superior.
Telling Adam (Adan? Not sure) that he wasn’t attractive…yikes…the guy was good looking and nice. 

• Love 6

I’m in the middle of binge-watching this series. I came to see Rachel, but I’m enjoying all of the people.

I really felt for Solomon. Dani lives with her aunt and uncle and they seem like lovely people, but I agree that she could benefit from a professional coach. 

is the AU version available to watch in the US? 

15 hours ago, ShowsILoveToHate said:

is the AU version available to watch in the US? 

The Australian version is on Netflix, too. It is just called Love on the Spectrum (whereas this one is called Love on the Spectrum - U.S.).

• Like 1
On 5/20/2022 at 8:31 PM, humbleopinion said:

As with the last sets of AU parents, the Americans want so much for their children to be accepted and loved.

Subodh's silent father tearing up with happiness for his son says it all.

I loved this whole family. The parents, Subodh’s sister, and Subodh himself. He and Rachel are such a cute couple. I was tearing up with Subodh’s dad. 

Kaelyn deserves better than the guy who ghosted her. Her roommate is awesome support. 

Dani would be a lot to be around. But you can say she knows what she wants. Adan seemed like a better choice, but what do I know. 

Steve has a nice place in SF. Not sure if he ever worked or had parents that made sure he was set. His voice was enjoyable to listen to for sure.

Abby’s mom was touching when Abby got a bf. Similar to Subodh’s family that way. 

• Love 1

Rachel and Subodh are still together, as are Abbey and David. They met up in person recently to celebrate Subodh's 34th birthday. Rachel and Subodh went out dancing the other night, and then went to the movies the next night, Subodh's sister drove them, and posted a cute video of them in her car.

Dani is in Florida at the moment, teaching animation.

James has been posting photos of himself in costume and hanging out with buddies.

Kaelynn has been posting dog training videos and motivational/informational stuff on autism.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Love on the Spectrum won a Creative Emmy for Outstanding Unstructured Reality Program and another for Outstanding Picture Editing for an Unstructured Reality Program

That is 2 wins in their 2 categories......Way to go LOTS (US)!

An edited show of this weekend's Creative Emmys will be shown Sept 10, 8pm ET on FXX then stream on Hulu

Emmys will be Sept 12

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Useful 1
On 9/4/2022 at 4:08 PM, humbleopinion said:

Love on the Spectrum won a Creative Emmy for Outstanding Unstructured Reality Program and another for Outstanding Picture Editing for an Unstructured Reality Program

That is 2 wins in their 2 categories......Way to go LOTS (US)!

An edited show of this weekend's Creative Emmys will be shown Sept 10, 8pm ET on FXX then stream on Hulu

Emmys will be Sept 12

They also won for Outstanding Casting for a Reality Program. They really did have an excellent cast.

• Love 1
On 9/29/2022 at 2:11 AM, gingerandcloves said:

I just saw that the show has been renewed for Season 2, and they are taking applications right now. I'm excited for more episodes. Maybe we'll get some updates on last season's cast members too.

I would like that! 

• Like 1

Aw man, I was hoping there would be more chatter about season two by now. I really enjoyed it! Spoilers ahead obviously:

Tanner was obviously a standout and I cannot believe he wasn’t in the last two episodes minus the update! It was obvious he and Kate weren’t a match just because she was so much more shy than him but he did such a good job on both dates and acted on the advice given to him! His mom actually called in to comedian Heather McMahan’s podcast (she responds to listener voicemails) and they are going to try to set up an interview between Tanner and Heather! 

I really liked Connor and his family. it seemed like all of them were really in his corner. His mom was a little intense but I think she just wants the best for him, especially when she said he doesn't even have a friend who calls or texts him :((((( I googled that he and Emily are just friends but I think the show gave him some good experience (and lol at him marking “no” in front of the speed dates). And when Connor referenced Princess Diana’s death being a sensitive subject, I was dyyyyying. I wanted him to expand on his thoughts why.

If they do a season three (and I hope they do), I hope Dani is not featured. Her horndog ways were TOO MUCH (but I could also blame the editing if that is what they chose to focus on when she was in fact talking about other things). She wasn’t my favorite in S1 and that was the case here too. 

I hope for the best for James but he is just a bit too frantic for this show and the dates, even though he is good hearted. I couldn’t figure out if Maggie was on the spectrum or not. It seemed like maybe she was into him since she kissed him but then when it said they didn’t continue dating (after the cameras disappeared) that made me think she was just there for the show. 

As were both of Journey’s dates who were WAY too old for her! The second girl especially seemed like she was just there for the cameras and I was getting uncomfortable. Journey is way too young for a show like this. She is only 18 but she acted 12. Her scenes were the hardest to watch because she acted SO YOUNG (which she is but she acted even younger on the date than she did around her family).

Good to see Steve again but, whew, he dodged a bullet with Sharona. She was way too forward. I actually feel like a lot of the dates were just there for the show and the matchmaking was not as good this season. :(

Abbey and David were adorable and I enjoyed their trip to Africa. I’m glad they got to see the lions. And I was shocked to see the necklace he got her said 2022 on it. Why are they just now airing it?!?

Fingers crossed for S3!

• Like 2
On 2/21/2024 at 2:38 PM, UGAmp said:

Aw man, I was hoping there would be more chatter about season two by now. I really enjoyed it! Spoilers ahead obviously:

Tanner was obviously a standout and I cannot believe he wasn’t in the last two episodes minus the update! It was obvious he and Kate weren’t a match just because she was so much more shy than him but he did such a good job on both dates and acted on the advice given to him! His mom actually called in to comedian Heather McMahan’s podcast (she responds to listener voicemails) and they are going to try to set up an interview between Tanner and Heather! 

I really liked Connor and his family. it seemed like all of them were really in his corner. His mom was a little intense but I think she just wants the best for him, especially when she said he doesn't even have a friend who calls or texts him :((((( I googled that he and Emily are just friends but I think the show gave him some good experience (and lol at him marking “no” in front of the speed dates). And when Connor referenced Princess Diana’s death being a sensitive subject, I was dyyyyying. I wanted him to expand on his thoughts why.

If they do a season three (and I hope they do), I hope Dani is not featured. Her horndog ways were TOO MUCH (but I could also blame the editing if that is what they chose to focus on when she was in fact talking about other things). She wasn’t my favorite in S1 and that was the case here too. 

I hope for the best for James but he is just a bit too frantic for this show and the dates, even though he is good hearted. I couldn’t figure out if Maggie was on the spectrum or not. It seemed like maybe she was into him since she kissed him but then when it said they didn’t continue dating (after the cameras disappeared) that made me think she was just there for the show. 

As were both of Journey’s dates who were WAY too old for her! The second girl especially seemed like she was just there for the cameras and I was getting uncomfortable. Journey is way too young for a show like this. She is only 18 but she acted 12. Her scenes were the hardest to watch because she acted SO YOUNG (which she is but she acted even younger on the date than she did around her family).

Good to see Steve again but, whew, he dodged a bullet with Sharona. She was way too forward. I actually feel like a lot of the dates were just there for the show and the matchmaking was not as good this season. :(

Abbey and David were adorable and I enjoyed their trip to Africa. I’m glad they got to see the lions. And I was shocked to see the necklace he got her said 2022 on it. Why are they just now airing it?!?

Fingers crossed for S3!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt that Journey should be with someone ore age appropriate. She is such a child and both women looked and acted too old for her. 

Great news on Tanner! 

• Like 1

I was not a huge fan of this season, and judging from the few posts so far, I think people felt pretty "meh" about it, too. It's a shame, because I like everyone very much, with one exception - Dani. I would have liked less about Dani, and more the others. Journey was lovely, but I agree that she should have had more age-appropriate dates. 

The background music seemed louder and more intrusive this time around. It reminded me of children's shows, where background music or sound effects get louder to help express the emotions the show wants to convey. Considering that this show has been criticized for being condescending, I don't think the louder background music is a good choice.