Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E11: Benny and the Jet Skis

• Start Topic

Jamie puts Brittini on the night shift after Benny doesn't pull his weight; Aesha confronts Magda and Ryan for talking behind her back; Jamie is at his wit's end with Benny's behavior and wants him fired.

Is it a thing in Australia for young women to fondle each others' breasts?  Aesha fondled Brittini and in this episode Brittini fondles Tumi.

Good times.

Crew are a mess and leave a big mess for the captain to discover in the morning.  He wakes them all up to clean everything up.

Now the deck crew are becoming judgemental about each others' work failings while Jamie, who's competent as he showed rescuing that guest, is just too laid back in putting his foot down against Benny, the slacker taking photos when he's suppose to be piloting the tender.

Jaime puts Brittini on nights, because he can't trust slacker Benny but then Benny encourages the guests to go fishing at 1 AM so Brittini would have to deal with them.  She gets pissed and wonders why Jaime didn't tell Benny that he wasn't doing his work at nights, which is why he replaced him.

But even easy-going Jamie has had enough when Benny almost screws up the jet ski crane and won't own up to his mistake.  So it ends on a cliffhanger with Jaime telling Jason that Benny has to go and Jason saying he wants to hear Benny's side of the story.  OK, guess Jason isn't too impressed with Jason's work either but way to back up your bosun.

Good on Aesha for confronting Magda and Ryan about them trash-talking behind her back but as with all Bravo confrontations, this may have been scripted.

But at least for this episode, Ryan is responsive to guest requests, without arguing back.  He doesn't know Jason has been trying to replace him and can't find anyone right now.

Magda also stops slacking off, blows off her boyfriend during work hours (though previews show she relapses), actually does some good work for this episode.

So how popular are kangaroo meat dishes down there?  Didn't encounter too many on menus but maybe didn't look too hard.

• Love 3
(edited)

So Bravo seems to be careful to hide the "fire-ee". Maybe Ryan? Maybe Benny? Maybe even Jamie? 

Actually, I don't think Jamie is all that bad.  He was right to be concerned that Benny gets from behind the tender wheel to take selfies. He could have easily gone head on into a small wave, jostled the rear transom and gotten squarly dumped overboard. Then you have a runaway tender that could easily crash into the main vessel and cause $100,000 in damages in the blink of an eye. I would not have been so nice to him.

Then with the remote controlled winch, Benny was wrong again. Jamie was correct in trying to make him understand that the person attaching the winch calls the shots. Bennys job is to do nothing until he's told. All Benny had to do is push the joystick a split second before his fingers were clear of the hook and he could have a crushed or severed digit. The thing that makes Benny so dangerous is that he doesn't know he's a liability.

Edited by aqusdealer
  • Like 1
  • Love 10

How can Benny think he's going to get positive reinforcement, when he's doing everything wrong?  Best thing that Jamie could have done is have Culver and Benny reverse positions so Benny could see why the person on the bottom needed to be calling the shots.  He must have some licenses that no one else does or why keep someone around who doesn't follow instructions?

Culver is smart enough to not sleep with a fellow deckie.  That's about the limit of his smarts though.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
(edited)

The primary is so weird.  I'm glad Aesha spoke to Magda and I'm also glad that it worked.  Benny is just hopeless.  Edited to add that the title of this episode is very clever.

Edited by Oosala
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

It's interesting to see the sense of entitlement that Benny and Magda have.  And to a lesser extent, Brittini and Culver.

It can't be an accident.  Producers have to be encouraging this attitude and behavior.

Look at BDSY, which is also airing now.  There the bad behavior is spiked by alcohol but Ashley is just acting out.  Certainly if they let her know that her behavior wouldn't be acceptable, she might have changed or behavior or maybe she wouldn't have done the show, since her goal seems to be to expand her Only Fans notoriety.

But again, producers enable the behavior with all the booze and license to party on the boat, the hot tub.  Maybe I'm forgetting the pre-pandemic seasons or the early seasons of these BD shows but didn't they mostly get drunk off the boat and then returned and went to their cabins mostly, certainly not freely use the hot tub, the bar/lounge or the guest cabins to have sex.

In the last season of BDM, didn't they say using the guest cabins was prohibited but a couple of cast members did and they didn't get fired for it.

So the BD producers seem to be progressively condoning or even encouraging bad behavior, especially with the drinking and partying.

But Benny and Magda are behaving badly even when they're not so drunk.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, aghst said:

But Benny and Magda are behaving badly even when they're not so drunk.

That's because they know this is a TV show and not a regular yachting gig. They know that it's production who decides who gets hired and fired. The normal yachting chain of command is not a factor.

I wonder if Jamie is going home.

• Love 1

I'm catching up on this version of the Below Desk. Honestly I am shocked Benny, Magda, and Ryan have lasted this long with how they are.  Everyone except for Tomi and Aesha the rest are horrible.  The captain is more interested in being a friend than a captain.  Watching these episodes makes me think they are just a joke and are a parody of a ship.  Too bac Tomi and Aesha weren't on another ship they'd be great.

• Love 2

Like an unsecured jetski, these comments are in the order of the episode broadcast…

OMG, I don’t understand how this boat stays afloat.  Aesha is melting down because she thinks “people hate me”.  Aesha, as a head of department, you can’t be everyone’s friend.  You’re the one who gives direction.  No one will hate you for doing a proper job (which you don’t do).  They will, however, resent you and walk all over you given the chance.  And you let them.

What’s more annoying than a hot tub full of drunken crew members talking poo?  How about a boat of sober crew members so entirely dysfunctional it’s a miracle anything gets done?

Regarding the rubbish situation. “Entertainment Officer Culver” says “It’s not my fault!”  When clearly he was designated to take care of that.  Good Lord, this Godforsaken boat has 4 deck crew (including the Bosun) and this is how things are?  Benny and Culver are both Jonah’s.  Brittini is great – when she’s sober.  Jamie is… disappointing as a leader.

And the Interior is little different.  Tumi is the goddess of the Interior.  Magda is useless and Aesha is hopeless.

And then there’s Ryan… Asshole of the Sea.  Cats who have 9 lives are envious of this jerk who should have been gone long ago.  And Ryan is being put in charge of a “Down Under” themed cuisine.  Oh, my Giddy Aunt.  Ryan wouldn’t know “Down Under” cuisine if a kangaroo punched him in the face.  Wait a tick, I’d like to see that…  Looking forward to you crashing and burning.

Drinking game:  During the Aesha/Magda “heart-to-heart” chat, take a shot every time you hear “negative energy”.  You’ll be mercifully passed out and miss the rest of the episode.

Jamie:  “I’ve spoken to Benny many times…”  Yes, mate, and that’s the problem.  You speak, he doesn’t listen/learn.

So now we have a setup for a big showdown next week.  Or will it be another big nothingburger?

Next week – Will Captain Jason resolve the Benny/Jamie issue, or will it be another damp squib?  Will Ryan be served up like a fricasseed kangaroo?  Will Magda get off the phone?  Will Aesha stop crying?  Stay tuned, if you can stay awake….

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 5/12/2022 at 9:19 AM, aghst said:

So how popular are kangaroo meat dishes down there?  Didn't encounter too many on menus but maybe didn't look too hard.

You can find it on the menu in several restaurants, and it's not uncommon.  In fact, it's rather popular in some circles, and you can get it in supermarkets also.  Maybe not as popular as chicken/beef/lamb but definitely available.  Ostrich/Emu is available as well -- a bird, but more beef-like in appearance, texture, and taste.  Yum!  (:

• Useful 2
On 5/14/2022 at 3:50 PM, aghst said:

It's interesting to see the sense of entitlement that Benny and Magda have.  And to a lesser extent, Brittini and Culver.

It can't be an accident.  Producers have to be encouraging this attitude and behavior.

Look at BDSY, which is also airing now.  There the bad behavior is spiked by alcohol but Ashley is just acting out.  Certainly if they let her know that her behavior wouldn't be acceptable, she might have changed or behavior or maybe she wouldn't have done the show, since her goal seems to be to expand her Only Fans notoriety.

What is BDSY ? Below Deck _____   _____  ?

I was not aware people ate kangaroo. 

The show keeps teasing that someone is getting fired but the spotlight keeps moving around. Now Ryan and Magda seem to be improving while Benny or even Jamie seems like they might be the target. At this point I'm guessing it's Benny who gets the boot but it will be interesting if it ends up being Jamie. Maybe that's why he's had so many different jobs, he gets fired from all of them.

At least Magda admitted this was probably more about her being defensive than about the way Aesha was treating her. I don't know if there's any redemption for Ryan at this point but the guests and the captain did seem impressed with dinner. 

The new primary is just plain weird.

Edited by iMonrey
3 hours ago, mytmo said:

How come Jamie has no problem in reprimanding Brittini but cannot reprimand Benny?   

Because Brittini listens and Benny doesn't.  In this most recent episode, Benny just absolutely refused outright to acknowledge Jamie's authority.  

At least Brittini puts her head down and does the work.  For example, she'll flake the anchor chain -- Benny absolutely refused to do that, too.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I was not aware people ate kangaroo. 

The show keeps teasing that someone is getting fired but the spotlight keeps moving around. Now Dave and Magda seem to be improving while Benny or even Jamie seems like they might be the target. At this point I'm guessing it's Benny who gets the boot but it will be interesting if it ends up being Jamie. Maybe that's why he's had so many different jobs, he gets fired from all of them.

At least Magda admitted this was probably more about her being defensive than about the way Aesha was treating her. I don't know if there's any redemption for Dave at this point but the guests and the captain did seem impressed with dinner. 

I think you are getting your chef's names mixed up.  This "chef" is Ryan, and Dave is on Med, with the complicated relationship with the chief stew.  It is hard to keep from mixing the two shows up when they air at the same time.

I wish Aesha would tell Magda that the captain was the one who brought up the overuse of cell phone to her, not vice versa.  And, I wish the captain would tell them to put their phones away unless they are on a break or off the clock.  Can you imagine what they could accomplish?

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I think you are getting your chef's names mixed up.  This "chef" is Ryan, and Dave is on Med, with the complicated relationship with the chief stew.  It is hard to keep from mixing the two shows up when they air at the same time.

Oof! You're right, and I do keep getting the two crews mixed up.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Mr. Miner said:

Bennie, Bennie, Bennie, Bennie and the Jets!  I can't shake this Elton John earworm!

I have an uncle Bennie - my mother's brother.  He used to work for the town.. drove a Hough.  (a front loader).  A friend of mine used to  come over and say:  BBBBennie and the hough.  (sung to Benny and the Jets).  Love that guy.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
On 9/14/2022 at 11:10 AM, iMonrey said:

I never thought I would defend the Chef but if you ask for Oysters at the last minute and then say surprise me as to how you want them prepared then don't complain when you get them raw.  Surprise b!tch that's how I prepared them.  ITA these guests just rub me the wrong way.  

Aesha is one of the most understanding, patient bosses I've ever seen.  OMG Hanna or Katie would have told Magda to bounce a long time ago!

• Like 6
On 9/15/2022 at 3:49 PM, Dirtybubble said:

I never thought I would defend the Chef but if you ask for Oysters at the last minute and then say surprise me as to how you want them prepared then don't complain when you get them raw.

She didn't complain that they were raw, she expected that.  What she didn't expect was the oysters to come out with only a lemon wedge.  No red wine vinegar, no cracked pepper, no wasabi, just a lemon wedge.

• Useful 1