Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: The Brass Verdict

• Start Topic

Late to the show I guess. I did enjoy this show and most of my questions after have been addressed here. Except, why did Trever insist on testifying? 

25 minutes ago, BC4ME said:

Late to the show I guess. I did enjoy this show and most of my questions after have been addressed here. Except, why did Trever insist on testifying? 

He said for the Court of Public Opinion post not guilty, but not innocent, verdict 

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, BC4ME said:

19 minutes ago, Raja said:

He said for the Court of Public Opinion post not guilty, but not innocent, verdict 

And ego.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Raja said:

Thanks. I know that's what he said, it just didn't make sense to me. He could've lost because of that.  

42 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

And ego.

Ego I buy kinda.. but it still didn't seem well written for that part.

• Like 1
(edited)

I am guessing the plan was for a mistrial with  the single fake juror  hanging the jury and then with the public opinion from his testimony the DA would not try again. But then by random chance  he had reasonable doubt and probable acquittal because of the veteran's gunpowder residue being transferred to him in the patrol car. And he still thought that he could get public opinion for his business, except the victim's family did not accept the scientific evidence putting doubt in the state's case

Edited by Raja
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
On 5/18/2022 at 7:34 PM, Chicago Redshirt said:

I do wish we had a "this is how it happened" style re-enactment. It's not 100 percent clear if Trevor in fact planned the murder out of jealousy over the affair, planned the murder out of fear that Lara was going to be revealed as the true genius, spontaneously killed the two on encountering them, or what.

Because if he planned it out at all, it seems kind of silly.

On 6/5/2022 at 6:44 AM, Chicago Redshirt said:

It is an open question for me if this was supposed to be a spontaneous murder that then required Trevor to act quickly to cover up or a murder that Trevor simply planned really badly. If it's the former, he couldn't do the gun range thing even if he had wanted to. If it's the latter, there are probably a ton of ways he could have pre-planned the murder to be in a better position to get away with it. Such as actually make the reservations for the coastal getaway, send e-mails or texts talking about how he wanted to reconcile with the wife, wearing gloves so he didn't get GSR on his hands and disposing of them with his clothes and the gun via drone, Occam's razor suggests to me it was supposed to be spontaneous, but people's mileage may vary. 

I agree that that there is a hole in the plot. If the murder was planned, it wasn't good. But could it really be spontaneous? Trevor had a gun with him when he came to meet his wife and supposedly persuade her not to reveal her important part in the game and/or not to take divorce. If the gun was only in order to threaten her, what would guarantee that when she was alone, she didn't do it anyway? 

On the other hand, even the best planned murderers can be sentenced because of some unforeseen detail whereas spontaneous murderers can acquitted because of luck or incompetent police work. 

I liked the series, but on the whole I am rather tired of plots where the lawyer helps the client to be acquitted and then notices she is quilty.  

OK series...basic procedural with some nice quirks...Garcia-Rulfo is good but just doesn't have the snap & pop of his namesake played in the original LL movie, Matthew McConaughey.

Big WTF question: SO much fuss around original defense attorney, Jerry, bribing juror #7, with $100K. Even if that's true, why would any lawyer spend $100,000 to bribe one juror. That guarantees nothing.

Trevor new it was critical to be innocent, and new about the bribery, and even fixed it so Juror #7 remained on the jury during selection, in spite of Haller's strong desire to dismiss him. Why???

Making sure 1 juror votes your way doesn't mean shit. You've got 11 other jurors who could easily outvote you. If Trevor's innocence was that critical, he and Jerry would need to do a lot more than bribe one juror to guarantee his freedom and clean name. And both Trevor and Jerry were (supposedly) very smart, so they would know that.

This is the part that just threw me right out of the shows narrative and made me forget about it.

(edited)
9 minutes ago, seth said:

Making sure 1 juror votes your way doesn't mean shit. You've got 11 other jurors who could easily outvote you.

but trials aren't a majority vote. They have to be unanimous. So at least he could guarantee a hung jury. Maybe his name wouldn't be "clean" but at least he won't be convicted.

Edited by dleighg
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

but trials aren't a majority vote. They have to be unanimous. So at least he could guarantee a hung jury. Maybe his name wouldn't be "clean" but at least he won't be convicted.

Ahh, shows my ignorance of the court  systems...guess that's cause I'm old and have never been charged with a criminal offense.:-) Thanks dleighg.

Still feel like the show was 'meh.' Good, but not great or wild, like say, the The Good Wife, or another David Kelley joint, Boston Legal.

Maybe with the first season done, they can tighten up the writing for the next season.  It seems like this season the writing was a bit clunky because of introducing characters and explaining the Lincoln schtick, etc.  Next season they can just get to the story without extraneous explanations.  Hopefully.

On 5/29/2022 at 12:42 PM, slowpoked said:

My husband watched it earlier than me, and separately, and he has a different perspective. Trevor wanted a surefire acquittal, and found a corrupt judge in Holder who was willing to take bribes to tamper a jury. Trevor hired Jerry independently, and maybe really thought he was a good criminal defense attorney despite being a lone wolf in Los Angeles. (That was unusual for me too - LA has more than its fair share of high-powered, high star-wattage crim defense lawyers for the Trevor Elliotts of the world. This wasn’t like some rural, far-off area where there’s only a couple of good lawyers. I mean, imagine Zuckerberg hiring a crim defense attorney off a Facebook or a bench/bus ad. I would think someone like Trevor Elliott has his own internal corporate lawyers who could recommend him to the Johnny Cochrans in LA).

While Jerry was working the case, he found out about the potential tampered juror through his own investigation. He asked for a continuance to look into it, and that’s why he got killed.

Incidentally, did we ever find about that “FBI investigation” of Jerry that Haller and Griggs were discussing about? Or is it just one of their theories that went nowhere?

Jerry paid far the tampered juror himself.

Presumably, the fact he was talking to the FBI is what got him killed.

Can someone explain why Jerry Vincent needed to keep that guy in the institution for 6 months?  Mickey was able to make his point without him needing to appear in court, the police evidence was clear enough.

4 hours ago, jabRI said:

Can someone explain why Jerry Vincent needed to keep that guy in the institution for 6 months?  Mickey was able to make his point without him needing to appear in court, the police evidence was clear enough.

He thought it was better than prison for his client?

On 5/17/2022 at 8:55 AM, sashayshante said:

Manuel Garcia Rufo made a great lead. Handsome without being pretty. 

I thought he looked like a young Russell Crowe + young Gerard Butler

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
On 7/6/2023 at 2:29 PM, Mindthinkr said:

Season 2 has dropped. I can’t find a thread for it so I’m posting here. 
Anyone watching the new season? 
Does anyone know where I can find a season 2 thread? 
Thanks   

I just finished Season 1 at the suggestion of my husband -- we both really liked it.  Manuel grew on me and I got used to the overall slow vibe.  Lorna and Cisco are favorites.  The twists at the end were good.

Hubby has finished Season 2 and liked it even better than Season 1 so I'm going to start it tonight.   

• Like 1
On 6/11/2023 at 6:59 AM, gaelgirl said:

I thought he looked like a young Russell Crowe + young Gerard Butler

Young Russell Crowe, yes, though Crowe doesn't have the height.

He also reminds me a bit of James Garner as Rockford.

4 minutes ago, magdalene said:

Young Russell Crowe, yes, though Crowe doesn't have the height.

He also reminds me a bit of James Garner as Rockford.

Are we talking about Micky? (I always appreciate a reminder of who we are talking about -- in this case the quoted reference was from 2 months ago!)

2 hours ago, dleighg said:

Are we talking about Micky? (I always appreciate a reminder of who we are talking about -- in this case the quoted reference was from 2 months ago!)

Yes, I am talking about the lead Manuel. I am watching the show right now for the first time.

I mentioned this in a season 2 thread, but it fits better here:
It was not clear  what crimes Trevor Elliot committed and what crimes the corrupt presiding Judge woman committed -- such as who killed the lawyer that left Mickey his law practice.

My understanding was that Elliot paid the Judge to fix the trial. The Judge used the money to  set up fake juror. This same judge required Mickey to give her weekly updates on all his cases, thereby being able to monitor progress on Elliot's case.
  Elliot's first lawyer found out about the juror (and corrupt judge?) and did not want to go along with it - and had to be eliminated.  
Or was the lawyer also participating in some of the shadiness..? 

Having characters explain things afterwards did not help clear things up.