Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E20: Silver Linings

• Start Topic

Danny and Jamie join forces with their nephew, Joe Hill (Will Hochman), when Jamie and Joe's search for an undocumented, trafficked teenage girl converges with Danny and Baez's investigation into the murder of a woman in witness protection. Also, Frank and Erin butt heads when Frank calls out the district attorney's office for instituting a new rule that classifies armed robbery as a misdemeanor, a mandate that has immediate ramifications for Eddie and her partner, on the 12th season finale of the CBS Original series BLUE BLOODS, Friday, May 6 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network, and available to stream live and on demand on Paramount+

8 hours ago, theschnauzers said:

IIRC, this is the third season in a row that Joe Hill (Will Hochman) has been in the season finale.

And usually for the better

• Love 3
(edited)

Pretty good finale. Joe Hill tends to make the episodes he’s in better

Its nice that Baez adopted the baby

It continues to remain awkward that Erin is in the DA’s office while most of the rest of family are cops

Edited by DanaK
  • Love 6
(edited)

A few things you might have missed.

Joe telling Danny and Jamie that there’s three Reagans there to help defuse the bomb on the teenaged girl, not two. Thus, Joe fully acknowledges that he is a full throated Reagan, and when Jamie earlier wanted to find that teenager for the mom, Joe pointed out that Jamie needed a detective. And earlier in that scene, Joe and Jamie noting they’ve got to quit meeting “like this”.

Joe at the final family dinner of the season, just being a Reagan, and it’s not about him. It’s pretty clear Joe and Jamie have a good working relationship and not just as nephew and uncle.

The writers are making some sort of point about Erin being the only non-cop at the dinner table. To be fair, Jamie did have a law degree IIRC when he decided at the beginning of the series to go to the police academy after Joe, Sr. died. Which made the discussion between Joe and Jamie wondering about how things might have been different if Joe Hill’s mom had told Joe Reagan about the younger Joe; but then realizing that older Joe might have done things differently, and Joe Hill would have been acknowledged as a Reagan much earlier.  The writers finally wrote themselves out of a box about Joe Hill accepting that he’s a Reagan, no matter what, and would have been. Maybe now they can move on to Joe Hill’s skill set as a detective like his Uncle Danny.

Edited by theschnauzers
  • Love 4

3 Regans and a bomb, I hope Frank would have been told that was going on. He probably would have had a reaction. lol

I always like when Joe appears, good writing seems to follow. Liked them working together.

Baez adopting the baby was cute.

• Love 4

So… Is Baez leaving the NYPD now that she’s adopting the baby? I hope not because she and Danny make a great team. And tonight I’m just too tired to figure it out - I need someone to tell me straight out since that was too subtle for me to tell. 🙃

22 minutes ago, jaimesommers said:

So… Is Baez leaving the NYPD now that she’s adopting the baby? I hope not because she and Danny make a great team. And tonight I’m just too tired to figure it out - I need someone to tell me straight out since that was too subtle for me to tell. 🙃

It really wasn't made very clear if she would leave. Many single moms work outside of the home. I don't remember the backstory of her family. Is her mom or other family around to care for the baby when she is at work? There is always a nanny... It would be sad to see her go.

I was confused by the fact that once the bomb was defused that no one bothered to go into the building to arrest the people who put it on her?  How did they know the cops were coming? Did they assume the guy who got arrested would fold like a house of cards and blab so they cleared out after strapping the bomb to the girl and leaving her there?

Baez adopting a baby was unexpected, good for her! Just don’t do the cliché with custody battle later down the road. It’s so sweet of Danny to let Baez know he’s there for her, endgame?

For next season, I wish for more Joe collaborating with Jamie or Danny, less Erin, less Eddie and less preachy Frank.

• Love 4

Contrasted with last season’s finale, this was underwhelming. Beginning with the lackluster PC vs DA setup, followed by Eddie & Badillo’s collar & release, my expectations for a great finale were dashed. But it was a good one due to the merging of Danny’s & Jamie’s stories linked by the always welcome Joe Hill. The Mano Sangrieta storylines always call back to Danny’s great loss of Linda, and his Reagan “family is everything” internal code. Will Hochman as Joe elevates Will Estes as Jamie. They’re a good pairing as actors. Joe Hill’s character helps us understand what the dynamic probably was amongst Danny, Joe Sr., and youngest brother Jamie. With Joe Hill admitting that he is a Reagan, I predict a legal name change to Joseph Reagan Hill in early season 12. This combined storyline kept me engaged, and I loved that Baez is adopting the baby. (I had predicted it’d be Jamie and Eddie, and I’m so happy to be wrong.) One thing that took me out of the story was the fact that the trafficked 14 year old Soli was a somewhat recent Central American refugee being held by Spanish speaking gangsters, yet she spoke with an American accent. 

Erin’s candidacy announcement was telegraphed to us from the start of the episode. Same with Anthony’s appearance at Sunday dinner to make it official. It would have been nice if Erin had prefaced her statement with “I just spoke with Nicki…”. I get that the actors who play Nicki Reagan-Boyle and Jack Reagan aren’t usually available, but c’mon - they are family (more so than Anthony), and afaik, have never met their cousin Joe Hill.  Steven Schirripa was underutilized in that last scene other than to bring the meatballs.

Overall, a C+ episode for the season. B+ for the major storyline. 

Glad to see Anthony get to dinner! Someone must be checking off a list - certainly after Jack got there a year or two ago, anyone should be welcome!

Oh no, now Baez has two crying babies to take care of! (just kidding...) I do hope she stays, though. I liked the 'medic!' shout out, and Baez catching it.

And while the outcome was never in doubt, I admit the Three Reagans defusing a bomb was pretty tense. Good work, show!

• Love 3
14 hours ago, theschnauzers said:

The writers finally wrote themselves out of a box about Joe Hill accepting that he’s a Reagan, no matter what, and would have been. Maybe now they can move on to Joe Hill’s skill set as a detective like his Uncle Danny.

Joe is a fantastic addition. I would love to see what he's like working a more ordinary case, because I think so far we have only seen him in season finale's working the big dramatic cases. 

8 hours ago, DanaK said:

I can see next season being the last, with Erin winning the DA race and Frank deciding to retire

That was pretty much what I thought. The series sends with Erin as DA, and Frank retiring or Henry's death. In my version of the series finale, there's a flash forward to Jamie as Police Commissioner. 

• Love 2

This was the first episode I really enjoyed in quite a while. Most of them have just been OK but I liked this one a lot. It was great to see Joe and Jamie working together again, Eddie wasn't being a brat and people gave Erin a hard time. 😊

Baez adopting the baby was predictable. I'm not sure what to make of Henry's situation. There has to be a reason for it but other than him getting much worse, I don't know what it could be.

IMHO next season will be the last. I think it will end with Erin becoming DA, Henry's condition worsening, Frank deciding to retire, Jamie getting another promotion and Eddie getting pregnant. I'm not sure about Danny. I hope he finds someone to love. That would wrap it up nicely for me.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, jaimesommers said:

She did it all on her own, knowing full well the burden she’s accepted. I would assume that she’s financially solid enough to pay for child care and continue her day job. But I think she’ll call on Danny to help out if she needs to. I don’t have any feelings one way or another (and that’s how they left it). If something develops, fine. They could just go on being the best of friends and partners as well. What I don’t want to see is manufactured drama surrounding their off-duty lives (don’t mind the drama around how they approach cases-it’s part of the job). 

11 hours ago, wlk68 said:

I was confused by the fact that once the bomb was defused that no one bothered to go into the building to arrest the people who put it on her?  How did they know the cops were coming? Did they assume the guy who got arrested would fold like a house of cards and blab so they cleared out after strapping the bomb to the girl and leaving her there?

Do you really think anyone was still there?

• Love 1
10 hours ago, DanaK said:

I can see next season being the last, with Erin winning the DA race and Frank deciding to retire

I just posted the same thing.  LOL

As much as the sentiment was right, I wish these shows would be more realistic about the process.  Unless you are fully vetted and on a waiting list, you just don't adopt a newborn literally over night.  It is a very long process where they do character references, background checks of all kinds, financial reviews, home studies, in depth interviews.  It can be months getting all the paperwork together. I would buy her 'intent and desire' to adopt, fine, but you dont' just walk into a hospital and walk out with a baby. It does a disservice to the adoptive and foster parents that went through all the hoops to start a family.

• Love 4

When Danny was telling Baez about the PTSD and how she spoke of (I forgot the rank) Patricia Murphy from Boston being blown up in front of him....I can't help but think that she was a real person and not someone the writers conjured up.  

I was wanting Baez to say "if Lt Benson can adopt a baby, I can too" 

• LOL 1
(edited)
On 5/9/2022 at 12:14 PM, jabRI said:

As much as the sentiment was right, I wish these shows would be more realistic about the process.  Unless you are fully vetted and on a waiting list, you just don't adopt a newborn literally over night.  It is a very long process where they do character references, background checks of all kinds, financial reviews, home studies, in depth interviews.  It can be months getting all the paperwork together. I would buy her 'intent and desire' to adopt, fine, but you dont' just walk into a hospital and walk out with a baby. It does a disservice to the adoptive and foster parents that went through all the hoops to start a family.

You are so correct; however, I guess we’re to assume that professional  “connections” will grease the wheel and expedite the process. Welcome to business as usual in NYC (read for that, “We’re Special”).  And I’m not implying those are Reagan connections, although they certainly would be interviewed in the process. 

Edited by Daff

Didn't they do the same thing with the adoption of Noah on L&O/SVU?  Benson was responsible for making him an orphan, or whatever happened.  And over on NCIS/LA, Deeks and Kensi are about to adopt an undocumented teen whose case they were involved in. 

On 5/11/2022 at 11:25 AM, EtheltoTillie said:

Didn't they do the same thing with the adoption of Noah on L&O/SVU?  Benson was responsible for making him an orphan, or whatever happened.  And over on NCIS/LA, Deeks and Kensi are about to adopt an undocumented teen whose case they were involved in. 

Of course, that was my point, it's a TV trope that does a disservice to those adoptive/foster parents who actually went throggh the process. Bensons' always bothered me, no way a judge would just call out a detective and say, 'hey how about you take him?'

• Love 1
9 hours ago, jabRI said:

Of course, that was my point, it's a TV trope that does a disservice to those adoptive/foster parents who actually went throggh the process. Bensons' always bothered me, no way a judge would just call out a detective and say, 'hey how about you take him?'

Agreed. Just shows how often they do it. I bet we could come up with more examples. 

On 5/15/2022 at 7:54 AM, EtheltoTillie said:

Agreed. Just shows how often they do it. I bet we could come up with more examples. 

And on the other side, has there ever been a show/series that got it right?