Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

How is it that Douglas will introduce Olivia to the family? We have not seen them on even one date. When did this relationship actually begin?? Once again, this show highlights an unseen relationship developing. I would rather have seen their dating relationship begin and grow first. Then, we would understand why Douglas is introducing her to his family.....

• Love 1

GUEST CAST:
Edy Ganem (Olivia)
Patricia Belcher (Esther)
FRrV-MTVcAA0ffI?format=jpg&name=large
FRXMz91XEAIcXXc?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Douglas and Olivia see each other five times or more a week since he catches her bus every weekday to go to work and/or maybe her bus to return home. They did show Douglas and Olivia go on one date when Olivia drives her bus to Bob's house and picks Douglas up.

This will be an amazing episode because the majority of the cast will all be in the same room at the same time, something we haven't seen often due to COVID restrictions. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 5

I liked it but I didn't get Dottie's resistance to Olivia.

Dottie was all for Abishola - even encouraged the match with Bob.  Why is Dottie under the impression that Douglas (and Christina to an extent)  shouldn't find a match to make him happy and sabotages it?

Nice to se Christina at work.  Guess that Mama Abishola has fully moved in and not going back to Nigeria? What about her visiting visa? It's only good for a certain amount of time.

Felt bad for Gloria's situation and what a shcmuck her husband George Lester is!

• Love 1

Didn't love most of the episode, but did love this bit:

• [ABISHOLA TO GLORIA] Can I tell you something without you getting angry with me?
  • [GLORIA] Of course.
  • [ABISHOLA] I'm sorry that you have to keep working. But I would miss you terribly if you left.
  • [GLORIA] Why would that make me angry?
  • [ABISHOLA] It's selfish.
  • [GLORIA] I love it.

And, BTW, the word "LOVE" appears in the transcript for this episode 17 times.

• Love 11

It cracked me up that Gloria's usurping of "The Mean One" role seemed to get under her skin a bit. 

It was indeed nice to see Christina being competent at work, and also nice to see the twins showing a healthy relationship with each other in that scene.

I feel robbed that we didn't even get a bumper scene between Dottie and Hector!

• Love 4
8 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

It cracked me up that Gloria's usurping of "The Mean One" role seemed to get under her skin a bit. 

It made for a funny scene, but it was pretty cringeworthy too. Making a bunch of jokes at your partner’s expense is no way to make a good first impression on their family.

• Love 1

Dottie was kinda scary in this episode. I see where Christina gets her crazy from, heh. However, Christina's is pretty tame whereas Dottie's crazy makes me want to hide all the knives, heh. 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, jewel21 said:

Dottie was kinda scary in this episode. I see where Christina gets her crazy from, heh. However, Christina's is pretty tame whereas Dottie's crazy makes me want to hide all the knives, heh. 

Yeah, the last scene in this most recent episode was more scary then it was funny to me. 

• Love 1

You can really see where Christina gets her stalker tendencies from, Dottie looked like some kind of deranged fairy tale witch in that last scene. Floor it Olivia!

Its nice to see some growth from Douglas and Christina, they actually do seem to be maturing a bit more. I am guessing that one of the reasons Dottie is so much more resistant to Douglas having a real girlfriend than when Bob got together with Abishola is that Douglas is her "baby" who she likes having around as her mamas boy, while Bon has always been the older more mature one who has never needed Dottie the way that Douglas has. 

"I drank Schnapps before I came here, and I thought that I said that in my head." Even in a few brief scenes, Olu and Tunde are always the best.

• Love 8
22 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I am guessing that one of the reasons Dottie is so much more resistant to Douglas having a real girlfriend than when Bob got together with Abishola is that Douglas is her "baby" who she likes having around as her mamas boy, while Bon has always been the older more mature one who has never needed Dottie the way that Douglas has. 

I assumed there was a lot of  classism and racism there. Abishola is a nurse which is a "respectable" profession (and who saved Bob's life). Olivia is a bus driver. Abishola is a recent immigrant from Nigeria and Olivia is somehow has family from Mexico. I can see in her mind how Abishola would be "better."  Also, as mentioned above, it totally did not help at all that she was cutting on Douglas which she felt reflected poorly on her. (It also didn't make me like her either because Douglas isn't a trash human.) 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Yeah, at first when Dottie was getting all silently growly about Olivia mocking her boy, I thought it was in defense of her son--which I thought was a little out of character, but Dottie does sometimes rise to the occasion.  But then it turned out she was getting angry because Dottie felt that she was being insulted by Olivia's mocking of Douglas.

And poor Douglas.  I didn't care for the sarcastic and unflattering way Olivia was talking about him.  But then I saw how Douglas was nodding his head, wagging his tail over it, and really eating it up, so then I got really sad because it appears this is how Douglas is used to receiving love.  That realization took me out of the comedy.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, joanne3482 said:

I assumed there was a lot of  classism and racism there. Abishola is a nurse which is a "respectable" profession (and who saved Bob's life). Olivia is a bus driver. Abishola is a recent immigrant from Nigeria and Olivia is somehow has family from Mexico. I can see in her mind how Abishola would be "better."  Also, as mentioned above, it totally did not help at all that she was cutting on Douglas which she felt reflected poorly on her. (It also didn't make me like her either because Douglas isn't a trash human.) 

I think there is definitely classicism.  Abishola is obviously a professional with a degree.  In addition, her family, at least her parents and ex-husband, seem to be from the upper class in Nigeria.  Meanwhile, Olivia, as a bus driver, probably doesn't have a degree from a college or professional school and her family seems to clearly be working class.  I think Dottie will call her a gold digger at some point.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I was surprised at the put downs Olivia gave Douglas at his family's dinner table. She was just meeting the family. She's already started trashing him? This didn't make me like her very much at that point. I felt sorry for Douglas. I would have rather he meet a nice woman who would truly appreciate him and make him feel special to her. I don't blame Dotty for feeling insulted. Yes, it was her who raised him...so, Olivia, IMO, was indirectly criticizing Dottie.  I had high hopes for this relationship not so much now....sorry to say.  I hope they "fix this" and soon.

I liked the fact that they started to give Gloria a larger role other than someone at the nurse's station and cafeteria. The woman has a life and family outside the hospital. Hopefully, we might meet some of them one day.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
(edited)
On 5/5/2022 at 1:44 PM, Rootbeer said:

Olivia, as a bus driver, probably doesn't have a degree from a college or professional school and her family seems to clearly be working class.  I think Dottie will call her a gold digger at some point.

On 5/5/2022 at 4:33 PM, floridamom said:

I was surprised at the put downs Olivia gave Douglas at his family's dinner table. She was just meeting the family. She's already started trashing him?

Reading these 2 posts👆 makes me speculate that we might see Olivia confessing to Douglas that she was trying to prove that she was worthy of him by talking about how clean and tidy she was in comparison to Douglas--that being with her would be a step up for him.
And also, that Olivia figured she'd be thought of as a gold digger by his family, which made her ready to resent his mom.
Or maybe she was just trying to get Dottie to utter the "Gold Digger" word, to get it out in the open.

Another thought: Douglas, by telling his mom that she was not to compliment Olivia on any physical features that were ethnically different than theirs, set up Dottie to appear every bit as hostile as Olivia may have thought she might be. When Dottie told Olivia that she (Dottie) had been told not to speak, Olivia would have logically assumed that meant not to say Gold Digger rather than not to, for instance, compliment Olivia's "tan." 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 1
On 5/5/2022 at 4:33 PM, floridamom said:

I liked the fact that they started to give Gloria a larger role other than someone at the nurse's station and cafeteria. The woman has a life and family outside the hospital. Hopefully, we might meet some of them one day.

I enjoyed seeing Gloria's home - and the fact that it was fairly small and cozy, a bit older in style, etc. In other words, unlike lots of other TV characters, Gloria lives in a regular place, just like many of the viewers might.

• Love 4