Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E08: Season 7, Time For a Wedding!

• Start Topic

Sam runs into Becky and they end up getting married. Dean finds it suspicious that Sam is falling for her and decides to investigate with a hunter named Garth.

One of SPN's cringe-inducing episodes.  Supposed to be funny, but is actually evidence that the show really doesn't understand consent.

• Love 3

The only funny part was Dean's reaction to Sam getting married. That's comedy gold.  The less said about this episode the better.

I try to pretend this episode was one of Sam's hallucinations.

Head!canon accepted.

I try to pretend this episode was one of Sam's hallucinations.

Works for me. He is in non-consent hell.

The only good part about the episode, IMO, is Crowley laying the smack down on the demon calling in deals early.

I loved "this isn't Wall Street, this is Hell!". It kinda sums him up as a character too.

• Love 1

It's got Garth in it. I can't out and out hate any ep with Garth in it. 

As usual, it was the Dean moments that got me in the ticker. The way he was put out that Sam had dumped him to go off camping (I'll even handwave the whole never-before-seen "sacred annual pilgrimage to Vegas"). His reaction to the wedding.

But most of all, the look on his face at the very end when Sam tells him "I mean, you basically have been looking out for me your whole life. Now you finally get to take care of yourself. About time, huh?" And it's very clear than a) Dean has no idea how to put himself first in his own life and b) doesn't want to.

I actually like Garth in this one and only episode. But since I too like to pretend it was a hallucination of Sam's, I forget that he's in it.

And Dean definitely doesn't want or know how to think of himself first. I was so hoping this would be the season that had Dean figuring that one out.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 1

My favorite part: How they somehow got away with Sam obviously saying "Fuck you!" to Becky through his sock gag* (and good for you Sam!). Although his desired result was sort of ruined by her misinterpretation and saying "I love you, too!" Cliche, but Sam's expression of frustration at that makes me smile every time.

* When I watched this live, my husband was only half-paying attention at that moment, doing something on the computer when he heard that, looked up and said "did he just say fuck you?" but the 12 year-old in me sniggering was almost enough to answer his question on that.

• Love 4

WARNING! Opinions stated in the following post will most likely be of the unpopular variety and should be kept out of reach of small children.  Side effects may include your world shattering into little tiny pieces or utter indifference. One should consult their own tolerance for proper dosage. ;)

I find this episode mostly amusing, even though it's totally cliché and entirely ridiculous. Dean's reactions to Sam getting married while Sam being totally sincere in that chapel is some funny shit. This episode reminds me of Folsom Prison Blues--no, I'm not saying they are of equal quality, at all--the whole concept is a typical cliché that most shows fall for at some point, but Supernatural found a way to twist it around and make it actually work in-universe in a somewhat creative fashion. I realize Sam was roofied, and while I don't advocate the behavior, I just don't really see it as all that important in the grand scheme of things.

I'll never understand why Dean needed another hunter, but I actually enjoy Garth here, so I tend to ignore that little guffaw. And I also rather enjoy Crowley in this episode too. I don't know, I wouldn't say it's something I love or adore or would even put on a favorites list, but I also found myself laughing and enjoying myself quite a bit. ::shrugs::

• Love 3

For me it fell apart because Becky, who had been okay before had pretty much lost her mind. They didn't explain why going to the reunion was so important that she would resort to a love potion. And why it had to be Sam.

To me it's no better than the wishing well causing that girl, to love Ted Raimi against her will. But at least here the show had Sam explicitly condemn Becky for doing it. I think if they would have had Becky be more introspective or realize all along that she was wrong to have done it in the first place but the demon was now scaring her, Becky would have been a more sympathetic obsessed fangirl.

I did like the demon though and yes to all the comedy with Dean.

ETA: geez the autoincorrect is out of control here.

Edited by catrox14

I wish the demon could have been a recurring.  He was just the right combination of slimy and funny.  Becky however, is another story.  I didn't like her in any of her appearances, but I couldn't help but feel for her a little at the end because the writers made her so pathetic. Her getting to gank a demon was probably meant to redeem her, but it didn't work for me. 

• Love 1

For me it fell apart because Becky, who had been okay before had pretty much lost her mind. They didn't explain why going to the reunion was so important that she would resort to a love potion. And why it had to be Sam.

I thought that was the point of the scene with the old classmate that calls her yucky Becky and says she's the same loser she was back in high school. I thought Becky was just looking to show up her classmates and she's always had a thing for Sam, so why not go for your fantasy guy while trying to show up your classmates?  Pretty much the typical reason for hijinks to ensue in most high school reunion episodes on any show.

• Love 1

This episode didn't offend me too much on re-watch.  Surprising.

I actually found a lot to love and laugh at.  Yes, we live in a world where, if the roles were reversed, no one would find the premise funny (and even how the roles are in show, some don't find it funny).  I choose to hand wave the love potion non-consent stuff and look for the good.  And there was a lot to laugh at, especially Jensen/Dean's facial expressions and the waffle iron, and his whole exasperation at Sam's behavior.  Ha ha

Anyway, not one I particularly long to watch, but it had its moments.

• Love 3
On 3/2/2015 at 10:17 PM, Goldmoon said:

I wish the demon could have been a recurring.  He was just the right combination of slimy and funny. 

Hee. This is true, but Supernatural would likely not have been able to afford him anymore anyway - not to mention that he'll likely be pretty busy - since he recently won a Tony Award.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, GirlyGeek said:

This episode didn't offend me too much on re-watch.  Surprising.

I actually found a lot to love and laugh at.  Yes, we live in a world where, if the roles were reversed, no one would find the premise funny (and even how the roles are in show, some don't find it funny).  I choose to hand wave the love potion non-consent stuff and look for the good.  And there was a lot to laugh at, especially Jensen/Dean's facial expressions and the waffle iron, and his whole exasperation at Sam's behavior.  Ha ha

Anyway, not one I particularly long to watch, but it had its moments.

I too found this one mostly humorous on re-watch, but remember being pretty "meh" about it the first time around. Funny how that works, isn't it? It's also kinda funny how much S7 in general improves for me on re-watch and how much S9...well, we'll just say it ain't improving for me. Maybe funny isn't the right word here? ;)

• Love 3

Dean giving the waffle iron to Sam cracks me up every time. Dean all, "non-stick," as a selling point along with the gesturing while he tried to explain how it worked. Then, "I actually don't know how to use it. Are we good?"

• Love 9
(edited)

I did find this episode amusing with Becky and Garth.  Agreed that I didn't get why Dean needed a partner, he's done some work alone before.  I liked that Garth seemed useless at first, then pretty savvy. 

I lol'd at Becky knocking Sam out with the waffle iron from Dean.

i agree it was kind of icky that Becky was ok roofieing Sam until her soul was at issue. 

Always like seeing Crowley and I knew he'd help the boys out somehow against the Lev even if it's just keeping the other demons at bay.

i didn't get why Leslie's demon had to get the souls right away.  What was wrong with waiting 10 years?

Edited by Hanahope
  • Love 1

Despite it being the first Garth episode as well as containing a great crowley scene, I didn't like this episode.  Becky was stupid and was very lucky.  They should have had the boys warn her.  They warned that one kid who switched sam's body with him but Becky  roofied and imprisoned Sam barely got a glare. She had to sign some annulment papers, poor thing. It could have been as simple as Dean saying:

"Becky, you've read the books , so I shouldn't have to tell you, but---" then Becky replying sadly, "Don't do anything like that again?"

• Love 3

The credits with a cake is a nice touch. Becky gives off a weird obsessed teenager vibe despite being in her late twenties. And Satan had nothing to say during all this? If he were real I'd say he was quietly sitting back watching this disaster with popcorn, but I feel like if Sam thought he was happy, he'd hallucinate Lucifer was trying to ruin it. Dean looks good in a sweater vest. It's a good intro for Garth, and in hindsight I like that they mentioned him last season, hadn't noticed that on round one. I like the hunters that aren't the typical kind. I'd like Garth and Ash to meet at some point. I think they'd get along well. "What have I got to lose?" "Well, there's your soul." I want to know more about Garth's tri-racial parapalegic sniper cousin. He sounds like spin-off material. Sam's reactions when talking to Becky through the gag are hilarious. I'll give Becky credit for saving Sam rather than run. This is possibly my favorite use of Crowley ever. Evil but still a businessman. Lawful evil at its best. Of course, he didn't treat his contract with Bobby so fairly, but that is neither here nor there. Sam is legally dead. How does he have any kind of legal marriage that requires annulment? 

I like this one just for the "Fuck you!" "Love you too!" People on YouTube tried to say he was saying "Becky" and I refuse to believe that is true. 

• Love 4

I might be alone, but I hope they still do (and have through all the past years) the Sacred Annual Pilgrimage to Vegas.  I like to think they had at least a long weekend off during the apocalypses and darkness world ending stuff.  Those guys deserve a break.  

I honestly expected cousin IT under the veil the first time I watched.  It's still creepy the way it was filmed so that she seemed to float down the aisle.  Jared did a really good job with roofied/goofy in love Sam.  And Jensen did a really good job reacting to him.  

On 7/28/2017 at 9:53 PM, bettername2come said:

The credits with a cake is a nice touch.

It was only missing tiny, beating hearts in it.  ;)

This episode is funny just for the Sam and Dean interactions.  And Sam still talking back to Becky with a gag in his mouth.  I'm not too bothered by any consent issues.  I guess they got around that by having Becky say they hadn't consummated the marriage yet.  Although, I can't quite wrap my dome around that.  They drove from Vegas to Delaware - there would have been at least one overnight stop along the way.  Even roofied, Sam didn't think anything odd about not cementing their marriage vows?  He dodged a bullet there.  I laughed at Becky whacking Sam over the head with the waffle iron Dean gave them!  I gotta say, I'm pretty impressed that Becky could get unconscious Sam into her car from her apartment and then into the lake house and tied to the bed.  Speaking of: Sam is pretty intimidating for a guy tied to a bed not wearing pants.  (Now, is that the American definition of pants, or the British?  Hm...)  

I liked the demon Guy - Leslie Odom was wonderful.  I know he's a hot commodity, but too bad they never got him back for anything.  

On 7/28/2017 at 9:53 PM, bettername2come said:

Becky gives off a weird obsessed teenager vibe

I'd say more like a psycho stalker vibe, but sure, we'll go with obsessed teenager...  ;)  But really, I think most of us here can relate to Becky at least a little bit when she talks about the message boards.  Grumpy and overly literal posters indeed.  :)  

I like Garth - and I like his introduction, how he just blurts out to Dean that Bobby said he'd be surly and premenstrual with him.  Overall, not the best Garth episode, but I always thought the character was endearing.  And Dean must have liked him after all too.  I mean, he did keep him from going after Becky at the end.  Dean was looking out for him!

• Love 1

truly atrocious episode. a story focused on a sexual harasser and potential rapist turned comedy??? what's even worse is that this wouldn't be in anyone's dreams if the genders were reversed. the deeper she went showed just how huge the double standards were. and the fact that sam actually went out his way to help her was enough to make me rip my hair out.

garth is cool, though.

As with pretty much everything this show does, there was some good. I actually like Crowley for once and found the loophole seeking demon to be interesting.

Becky was a cartoon character and a creep. I never loved her, but this episode had her drugging and kidnapping Sam. Being lonely or having low self esteem does not come close to justifying that.