Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E07: The Mentalists

• Start Topic

Sam and Dean investigate the murders of mediums in Lily Dale, the most "psychic" town in America. They discover that an angry spirit is killing off the psychics, but in a town full of people who claim to be summoning spirits, they have a little trouble identifying the medium controlling the ghost.

Often named a season favorite; I don't have any feelings on it one way or another.  Maybe I missed part of the episode.  ;-)

Sam and Dean stayed apart for an entire week and a half. An epic snit for the "poster kids of functional family life." :-) 

I didn't love this episode, particularly, but there were a few things I did really enjoy: 

As a history geek, I liked the shout-out to the Fox Sisters, who were (genuine) fake spiritualists, and the Campbell Brothers, who were a (genuine) gay couple who posed as brothers and channeled spirit writings and paintings. 

The museum scene was great. "She didn't have her sister's charisma, but she looked after Kate. Sometimes, one's true gift is taking care of others." I love the idea that Ellen is watching them from somewhere, ready and willing to kick their asses from the Great Beyond. 

And I liked the little bit at the end where Sam got a bit beyond his anger and showed that he was also concerned that Dean was drinking too much and sleeping too little and wasn't sharing what was going on in his interior life. (Not that Sam has a moral high ground to stand on in that, as he acknowledged.) 

Edited by Amerilla
  • Love 3

And I liked the little bit at the end where Sam got a bit beyond his anger and showed that he was also concerned that Dean was drinking too much and sleeping too little and wasn't sharing what was going on in his interior life. (Not that Sam has a moral high ground to stand on in that, as he acknowledged.) 

Wait, I thought that happened in s3....and s4...and s5...and

s9

....:):)

I really like this episode. I liked the ghost hunt, I like the town of fake psychics, I liked Melanie, I liked that Ellen was watching from the Great Beyond, I liked that Dean told Sam to stop being a bitch and I liked that Sam did stop being a bitch and realized Dean had a certain point of view. There's also a nice moment at the beginning where Dean first approaches Sam and Sam doesn't engage Dean until the waiter first talks to Dean. There's a very subtle moment there where Sam is rubbing his hand scar and I think he thinks Dean is a hallucination until someone else talks to him and acknowledges his presence. I like to think that in that week or so apart, Lucifer was tormenting Sam with hallucinations of Dean. I know it's mean, but still...

This one ranks at the top of my S7 list, but It's been a while since I've seen it, so when I get caught up I'll probably come back.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 6

I agree with you @DittyDotDot. This one is near the top of my season 7 list as well, and I generally think that it completes "Slash Fiction" well. I loved that there was actual communication and conflict resolution here. Dean finally said something instead of stuffing it down and passive-aggressively sniping later, and when he did say something, Sam listened and they communicated and made actual progress as you said.

In addition to that surprising gem, the case of the week was interesting and creepy, both guys worked despite their differences to solve the case, and there were a few amusing bits along the way and great little details in the episode. I liked that Melanie was straightforward with the guys that she wasn't a real psychic, but just was able to read people, and that she was down to earth about it. The bit with Sam and his broken spoon was amusing. I loved Ellen watching over Dean. And I agree about that moment in the beginning @DittyDotDot. There's just enough there that makes me question if Sam is ignoring Dean, or if he really is thinking Dean is a hallucination. Jared does a good job of subtly putting in that hand-pressing tick throughout the season.

Oh and there was a good, old-fashioned dig up the grave scene as well, complete with marauding spirit. I liked the guy in the museum and he was an interesting and non-stereotypical museum curator. Nice Buffy shout-out as well, even if The Orb of Thessula was something entirely different here. For me in this one, the devil was in the details, and they did a good job here with those, I thought.

• Love 2

Rewatching and it's really one of my favorites of the later seasons. It has a season 1 feeling with them getting it wrong first (similar to Provenance), a relatable PersoninPeril, cooky characters and ghosts, actual conflict resolution and it's funny without hitting me over the head with it.

I adore the initial scene, it's very subtly played and I missed the first time that Sam might think Dean is a hallucination. Also, Sam's bitchiness is very outward but he can't help smiling when the waiter gives Dean his daily affirmation.

• Love 2

This one's still enjoyable to me on re-watch and holds up pretty darn well, IMO. But then again, I'm probably biased because of the digging, salting and burning that goes on--and a half attempt in the daylight, too!. Dean getting affirmated will never not be funny to me.  And, as usual, I'm with Dean...can't believe that guy was boning her. ;)

I spied Cass's trench coat in the trunk of the piece of shit car. Never noticed that before. Yeah, I know, I really need to get a life.

It has a season 1 feeling with them getting it wrong first (similar to Provenance), a relatable PersoninPeril, cooky characters and ghosts, actual conflict resolution and it's funny without hitting me over the head with it.

That's funny, I totally had the same thought when watching this time. I kept thinking all it was missing was Sam encouraging Dean to get back on the sexy times wagon. Of course, they had other issues to deal with, so not like I think it should've happened either.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 1

Just saw this for the first time.  Okay, but what sang for me was the waiter who offered a free affirmation with every order.  He was just so excited about it.  They do side characters really well, which Star Trek The Next Generation also did.

There's a very subtle moment there where Sam is rubbing his hand scar and I think he thinks Dean is a hallucination until someone else talks to him and acknowledges his presence.

Thanks for mentioning that, I hadn't noticed that before you said it!

The side characters are so fun in this episode. I especially liked Nikolai and the museum docent. And I also liked that lots of the psychics really were psychic, but like Jimmy Tomorrow said, whether they were or not was basically irrelevant because psychic ability doesn't pay the rent. People are will to pay for the sizzle, but not the steak :P

I also liked that Dean kept making jokes and then looking to see Sam's reaction, but then Sam wouldn't even be in the room or would already be walking away, and Dean would get this sour look on his face about it. But he was a little bit Dead To Me by the end of the episode, because his rant outside the museum was so infuriating. His basic point was OK, but what does he want from Sam at that moment? For Sam to be *grateful* that Dean did "dirty work" that Sam didn't think should be done in the first place and asked him not to do? And he crossed the line when he called Sam a bitch imo.

It's fine that Dean thought that it was better to kill Amy, I get why he thought that, but why does he need Sam to say that it was better after all *for Sam* that Dean killed her (against Sam's wishes)? Dean did it because he thought it was best, not because he was doing Sam a favor -- and that is FINE. It's FINE for Dean to do what DEAN thinks is right -- why does he need Sam to agree with him? Why does he suddenly have to justify EVERYTHING he does as being "what's best for Sam," even stuff that Sam doesn't want him to do? (This is the same thing that I found really obnoxious when Dean was pulling it

w/r/t Gadreel

. Dean made his own decisions, and they weren't the decisions that Sam would have made or decisions that Sam especially liked -- so what? They don't have to be the same person).

Idk, I don't get why Sam went back to ride with Dean just after he'd gone after him like that in public and called him a bitch. I guess Sam was being the bigger person? Every time I get to that point in the episode, I literally have to pause the show and take a walk for a minute, because it gets *my* blood up to hear a call out like that! It's like Dean's *asking* for Sam to just go postal on him, Idk what his problem is. (*Is* he trying to goad Sam into a fight?).

• Love 3

I have a strange relationship with this episode.  I like it but then I kind of don't...and I can't quite pinpoint what I don't like about it.  Or maybe I just forget about it? Maybe the title doesn't intrigue me? I can't really say I dislike it either because I like Melanie. I like the guy that tells Dean that Ellen will kick his ass if he doesn't talk. I love the dude telling Dean he's virile manifestation of the divine LOL.

And I LOVE Dean telling Sam to stop being a bitch. On one hand, I wish they had Dean call him a dick instead of bitch but I'm not sure calling him a dick would have had the same impact in this case.

That said,  I do love that Dean finally said enough is enough.  I guess I just really love it when Dean stands up for himself.  He felt guilty for lying to Sam but he did not owe Sam any apologies for doing what he thought was right and believed Sam would not do.  Now if that makes Dean a worse person because he didn't feel bad about it, I can't say. I don't think it does. Others will disagree.

My head!canon is that Dean's harshness with Sam is based in the overwhelming amount of loss Dean's dealt with in the past two years.  He's grieving Cas, Lisa and Ben(yes,  Dean made the decision to make sure they didn't remember him but it's still a loss) and Sam. He's lost Sam to a degree ever since he came back soulless. I think Dean is confused and terrified about the Hallucifernations and is worried that Sam is going to lose his mind, which IMO will be more than Dean can take. He had his identity taken away by the Leviathan and his beloved car is gone.That's a lot of loss to cope with in a relatively short amount of time.

I'm just saying that Dean, whilst being a strong guy that bears a lot of burden and guilt (earned and unearned) is reeling himself and doesn't really have anyone to turn to. He doesn't have Cas anymore, who was someone he could talk with. Bobby defaults to "tough love" that isn't really going to help Dean in all cases. Sam is still dealing with his issues of s6 and Hallucifer and can't really help Dean and I don't think Dean entirely expects it even if deep down he wants it.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 4

So I didn't realize that Dean really gave up the Impalla for "good" last episode.  I don't understand why.  Yeah, the Impalla was maybe mentioned and even shown a little bit on TV (although I don't recall seeing/hearing it on the bits we saw), but most people won't pay attention to that, they'll remember the faces of Sam and Dean, which they continue to keep, and apparently are able to hand-wave away.  So why not go back and get the Impalla again?

I was also very annoyed at the boys for not listening to the first ghost (the younger sister).  They already had this exact same issue show up before, where the mother ghost was preventing the little boy ghosts from harming people, but Sam and Dean rushed in to kill the mother ghost and refused to listen.  Are their memories that short?  

As to the pawn shop owner having the ghost's bones, wouldn't the boys have noticed that the grave had already been dug up?  i.e. the dirt was "fresher".

I did lol at "Ellen" chewing Dean out.  He needed to hear that, and then so did Sam from Dean.  

I didn't catch that Sam at first thought Dean might have been an hallucination.  I guess he still has them from time to time?

16 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

So I didn't realize that Dean really gave up the Impalla for "good" last episode.  I don't understand why.  Yeah, the Impalla was maybe mentioned and even shown a little bit on TV (although I don't recall seeing/hearing it on the bits we saw), but most people won't pay attention to that, they'll remember the faces of Sam and Dean, which they continue to keep, and apparently are able to hand-wave away.  So why not go back and get the Impalla again?

It's because the Leviathans know about all Sam and Dean's "habits" now and they're trying to stay off their radar. They can't kill the Levis if they don't survive long enough to learn how to kill them. So, no car, no rock aliases, no credit card fraud, none of it until they figure out how to deal with the big mouths.

20 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

I was also very annoyed at the boys for not listening to the first ghost (the younger sister).  They already had this exact same issue show up before, where the mother ghost was preventing the little boy ghosts from harming people, but Sam and Dean rushed in to kill the mother ghost and refused to listen.  Are their memories that short?  

I chalk it up to brain damage from all the blows to the heads over the years. ;)

• Love 4
1 hour ago, DittyDotDot said:

It's because the Leviathans know about all Sam and Dean's "habits" now and they're trying to stay off their radar. They can't kill the Levis if they don't survive long enough to learn how to kill them. So, no car, no rock aliases, no credit card fraud, none of it until they figure out how to deal with the big mouths.

Oh yeah, that makes sense.  Its not the humans Sam and Dean are concerned with, its the L's.  They did learn a bit how to kill them last episode.  They need to start stocking up on the borax.

• Love 2
On 8/23/2016 at 4:37 PM, catrox14 said:

I love the dude telling Dean he's virile manifestation of the divine LOL.

This is especially amusing and interesting now in reference to

Spoiler

season 11 and Amara where Dean is, in a way, a literal representation of the divine (Chuck) for Amara.

• Love 2

So in Dean's first scene the sign behind him says Raleigh and the car he stole had NC plates (which do not go on the front of cars). I finally get a Winchester in my state and he's there for ten seconds before stealing a car and leaving. "Virile manifestation of the divine." The waiter's not wrong.  Sam's sideburns are out of control. It's odd to me that they've gone a few episodes without Sam having a hallucination. I think it made it harder to remember that plot thread when watching week to week. They just dig up the corpse in broad daylight? Messed up. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Sam being wrong is funnier than Dean being wrong. That poor Lamaze class. Good chick of the week. I like when they incorporate history and real places into the cases. Headcanon - the Campbell brother actually named Campbell is a distant relative of Sam and Dean's. I also like to think their related to the Winchester rifle/mystery house people. 

• Love 3
On 7/28/2017 at 9:05 PM, bettername2come said:

It's odd to me that they've gone a few episodes without Sam having a hallucination. I think it made it harder to remember that plot thread when watching week to week.

As I mentioned above, I'm not sure that Sam wasn't thinking that Dean was a delusion - so had maybe been hallucinating Dean previously - in the beginning of the episode.

I'm not sure I ever knew that thing you use on a Ouija board is called a planchette.  The things you learn watching Supernatural.  

Why did Bananas Foster on the radio make me think of Hanna-Barbera cartoons?  

So I watched and rewatched and rewatched the cafe scene and I still didn't see Sam pressing on his scar.  I guess he still could have thought Dean was a hallucination at that point - especially the way Dean sat down and started talking to him like nothing was wrong - but I got a more annoyed vibe (that Dean was acting like nothing was wrong).  I like the waiter.  He should show up more often.  LoL to the lady recognizing them - except they can't be killers because they are "completely gentle".  And I like that Sam said "good" when Dean said he wasn't going to ask where he'd been for the last couple weeks and kept it business as Dean suggested.  

I liked Melanie and how upfront she was about the business, but I really don't understand why she glommed onto Dean versus Sam.   Not making that Sam vs. Dean - just that neither one seemed to have a 'special' connection to her when she specifically called Dean for help.  I guess maybe he's the one who gave her his business card so she had his number.  I also liked her friend, Sister Camille Thibideux.  "Family is a pain in the ass, anyhow."  I wish they'd been able to save her.  I actually liked Jimmy Tomorrow (at least his snark) until he turned out to be a creepy, weirdo, killer.  

I also liked the museum curator and his obvious enjoyment at making fun of the 'embellishers'.  I'm also pretty sure the boys are somehow related to The Mystifying Campbell Brothers - or at least the real Campbell in the act.  I really like the message from Ellen.  And in an episode about psychics, I like how the museum guy felt compelled to deliver the message right then.  

Dean may have been right about killing Amy, but Sam was right about Dean lying to him.  Sam had every right to be pissed about that, and I don't think Dean had a right to get upset that Sam was keeping it business only at that point.  Least favorite part of the episode for me was Dean telling Sam to stop being a bitch, because I just don't understand the "you can be pissed all you want, but quit being a bitch line."  Like, it's okay if Sam is angry, but he's not allowed to show it?  Especially since, up until that blow-out, Sam hadn't said a nasty thing toward Dean; he'd just treated him coolly.  I guess Dean just doesn't think people should be allowed to ignore him.  I don't know - if that one line had been worded differently, I'd probably be okay with that scene.  But as it is, that blew it for me.  If someone said that to me, when I had a legitimate gripe, I would have walked away right there.  

I thought it was interesting that the ghost of Kate knew what was about to happen with them digging up her grave.  I don't know that we've ever seen a ghost realize that before.     

Okay, probably unpopular opinion here: but I really didn't mind the impala being gone for a few eps.  I liked seeing all the weird cars they drove in the mean time, like the 'Caboodle' with the plastic unicorn.  And I got a laugh out of Jared getting out of the car this ep (and into it at the end) when he practically has to fold himself in half.  Poor guy.  I'd have thought there was more leg room in the front, but I guess not.  

Sam busting in on the pregnant yoga class was great.  

I think it's supposed to show us how bad off Dean is if he didn't stick around to 'comfort' Melanie after the Margaret the ghost was gone.  

• Love 3

i am usually a huge sam defender but yeah, he was being a baby. not an annoying baby person but more of the pouty little sibling that needs to wipe his nose and get tougher. i was so happy when i learned this was a ghost case and nothing more. i have missed their old fashioned cases. i'm such a hopeless old schooler i swear smh

This is my 2nd fav ep of s7. It's largely saved by the actress playing Melanie.  She has great chemistry with Jensen and I really could ship them. I would love to see her come back. 

I also really enjoyed the actor that played the tour guide. He had presence.

'You are a virile manifestation of the devine'.  Yes, Dean you most certainly are.  Loved that so much.

And I will always cheer Dean's lambasting of Sam. That was spot on IMO.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

'You are a virile manifestation of the divine'.  Yes, Dean you most certainly are.  Loved that so much.

What a fitting thing to say to the true vessel of the archangel Michael! Dean's character is a fascinating combination of the human and the divine. Plagued by guilt, regrets, and low self-regard, but simultaneously an irresistible beacon of moral integrity, force of will, and personality that draws in everyone around him (including Chuck, Amara, Cas, Crowley, and both versions of Death).

Sorry not sorry, I haven't fangirled over my fave in a while.

5 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

And I will always cheer Dean's lambasting of Sam. That was spot on IMO.

Yup, and I could have used waaayyy more of this in seasons 8 and 9, when the lambasting was far more deserved. 

• Love 4
On 8/13/2014 at 2:38 PM, Amerilla said:As a history geek, I liked the shout-out to the Fox Sisters, who were (genuine) fake spiritualists, and the Campbell Brothers, who were a (genuine) gay couple who posed as brothers and channeled spirit writings and paintings. 

The museum scene was great. "She didn't have her sister's charisma, but she looked after Kate. Sometimes, one's true gift is taking care of others." I love the idea that Ellen is watching them from somewhere, ready and willing to kick their asses from the Great Beyond. 

Even better, I'd like to think Ash has hooked her up to go heaven hopping and that is why she can see what's going on.

On 8/13/2014 at 3:02 PM, DittyDotDot said:

I really like this episode. I liked the ghost hunt, I like the town of fake psychics, I liked Melanie, I liked that Ellen was watching from the Great Beyond, I liked that Dean told Sam to stop being a bitch and I liked that Sam did stop being a bitch and realized Dean had a certain point of view. There's also a nice moment at the beginning where Dean first approaches Sam and Sam doesn't engage Dean until the waiter first talks to Dean. There's a very subtle moment there where Sam is rubbing his hand scar and I think he thinks Dean is a hallucination until someone else talks to him and acknowledges his presence. I like to think that in that week or so apart, Lucifer was tormenting Sam with hallucinations of Dean. I know it's mean, but still...

This one ranks at the top of my S7 list, but It's been a while since I've seen it, so when I get caught up I'll probably come back.

This is a great detail that I would have completely missed.

On 7/28/2017 at 8:05 PM, bettername2come said:

So in Dean's first scene the sign behind him says Raleigh and the car he stole had NC plates (which do not go on the front of cars). I finally get a Winchester in my state and he's there for ten seconds before stealing a car and leaving. 

I live in Louisiana, so I feel your pain. They mention Louisiana a lot but still haven't visited. Not even the rougarou.

So I enjoyed the episode except for the interpersonal drama. I just can't get over the idea that Sam would walk away in the middle of everything that is going on or that Dean doesn't understand how telling Sam to trust in him as an anchor for reality but then turning around and lying would really upset him. I mean, I would assume he does from his guilt, but he sure does seem pissed at Sam for being upset. The entire fight has been so poorly handled. I am over it. In my head Sam found out, they had an adult discussion and agreed that each of them had a valid perspective and that they believe the other was trying to do what was right, and they both agreed to stop lying to each other every few episodes (I am guessing that won't happen). 

But, that aside, I liked this one. Gory deaths, interesting side characters, a fairly predictable but still entertaining twist. In a season where the one off episodes haven't worked for me, this one mostly did.