Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E09: Environmental Racism

• Start Topic

I love Ollie's intense look as he made it clear that there's no fucking morgue at Disney. The camera nodding in response was perfection.

Glad he highlighted Abbott's absolutely stupid delays at the border, especially the fact that it cost Texas 4 BILLION dollars. 

Villanueva's ad was...something. I think we were supposed to be concerned about the roller blades and the couple on the couch but they were fine. None of the scary homeless people that she skated by even left their tents to bother her and apparently Texas has robbers who will never harm you even when you're sitting right there. I'm not sure what was so scary about the sandbox part unless we're supposed to believe the little boy was holding the woman hostage. He's not white and she is so maybe?

That clean air ad was hilarious and that man totally got away with killing multiple people. Those are the eyes of a serial killer and you cannot convince me otherwise.

JFC I swear every story about Tennessee that I read/see is horrible. It's like we're trying to gain as much attention for being fucked up as Florida and Texas get.

Huh, why did I think Germantown and Collierville were closer to Knoxville? It doesn't matter but, before this episode, I'd have bet my life on them not been in west Tennessee.

I love panda videos so much and Ollie making fun of them was great. Pandas are smart to know that pairing their cuteness with constant toddler behavior will keep them from going extinct. I bet they celebrate the birthday of whichever panda ancestor got a degree in PR. That guy saved them all.

"Why haven't you moved?" I'm glad the man responded with outrage. He's right. Why should HE move? 

• Love 10

...I have a lot of questions about the guy who suggested the "FACK EWE" license plate who also breeds sheep...and I really don't think I want to know the answers. 

LMAO at John saying that DeSantis has "Green Book vibes" XD. 

But wow, DeSantis not thinking something through before going off on some big showy political stunt? I'm shocked. Get over yourself, you obnoxious fool.. You, too, Abbott and Villanueva (the HELL was with that political ad?). Please let there be a surprise upset in these races. 

(Regarding DeSantis, just remember, people, this is the same guy who was whining about "political theater" when he saw those kids wearing masks a month or so back. Yep.)

As for the main story, holy shit, that guy shrugging off the whole thing about Shingle Mountain. I'm glad his company went belly up, that's what you get for acting like a careless douche. Shame the mountain is still so close by, though. And everything with "Cancer Alley" and that sign telling kids to stay off the grass and for people to remove their shoes before going inside....that's just insane. 

I agree with John that that one guy responding to the "Why don't you move?" question should've just been passive-aggressive the rest of the interview. The reporter may well have asked that question specifically to allow him the chance to actually give the very answers that many viewers might not have considered, but...yeah, on its face, it does sound a pretty dumb question. But his point about not wanting another family to suffer the way he does, to be brought into this hellhole, was very poignant. He's right. 

Also liked John's commentary on the name "Germantown". Yeah. Speaking of things that are very "on the nose"...

It is good to see Biden addressing this issue, at least - that was a nice bit of optimism in this story. But yes, while race should absolutely be considered in whatever plans this administration comes up with to tackle this issue, it's also sadly true that the mere focus on race would be enough to get the GOP and a conservative-leaning Supreme Court to get in the way of any efforts they put forth. It's so beyond frustrating how the Democrats always feel or seem like they have to tiptoe carefully to get anything passed, no matter how beneficial it may be. Meanwhile, the GOP can go forward with whatever legislation they want, no matter how outlandish and ridiculous it is (like this "Don't Say Gay" bill nonsense), and they don't give a shit who they offend in the process. We need that kind of boldness when it comes to legislation that would actually legitimately benefit people. 

In lighter topics, my mom was nodding along in enthusiastic agreement regarding John's rant about the four numbers at the end of one's zip code :D. 

• Love 10

...I was actually aware that Disney World Florida actually is pretty much like its own little state - it is actually pretty interesting how they organise the municipality for the area. And frankly...it's for once actually a pretty good idea to let them do that, considering the various projects they have for cleaner energy, waste disposal aso. Not that I am opposed to have Disney pay more taxes, quite the opposite, but in this particular case it sounds like a very stupid stunt which will just cause problems down the line. 

The segment about the voters going for the candidate who hurts other voters the most was very depressing. 

What was the guy with the 20 on about? I really couldn't follow him....

The main segment was also depressing, but another thing I was aware of. And frankly, it is just another example of how racism is a boomerang...it first hurts the neighbourhood next door, but the environment is a circle, so eventually all the pollution gets back to yourself. I just don't get how some people are okay to get hurt as long as other people get hurt more....

• Love 7
(edited)
17 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Villanueva's ad was...something. I think we were supposed to be concerned about the roller blades and the couple on the couch but they were fine. None of the scary homeless people that she skated by even left their tents to bother her and apparently Texas has robbers who will never harm you even when you're sitting right there. I'm not sure what was so scary about the sandbox part unless we're supposed to believe the little boy was holding the woman hostage. He's not white and she is so maybe?

This was California, LA County. I was living in LA County when Villanueva, and I honestly can't remember if I voted for him or the incumbent. 

5 hours ago, Pj3422 said:

Off-the-wall question: Was the guy in the old pollution ad Robert Prosky of “Hill Street Blues”? 

Thank you! I thought it looked like him until he took the balls out of his mouth. (Sorry about that.)

"How much can you hurt the people your supporters hate the most." That is one of the most accurate and perceptive statements I've heard in a long time. It's a hallmark of Trumpism.

OMG, Shaw trying to explain his gas-filling method. How can he not see...? 

The whole story on Environmental Racism is depressing. It really is all about companies making location decisions based on the least resistance.

A week or two ago I heard a story on the radio about New Orleans, and my memory is so bad I can't remember the details. IIRC, a hurricane long ago resulted in a petrochemical (?) burying barrels which surfaced after Katrina hit. Barrels full of toxic stuff were popping up in people's yards. It sounded very similar to one of the stories John included in the main story, but I thought the burying had happened a long time ago. I didn't hear the complete story on the radio. I'm going to have to try to find the story when I get time. Much of it was the same as in this ep, with a woman talking about why she can't move.

ETA: Found it. That's the transcript from The Takeaway (NPR). Basically it's about Gordon Plaza in New Orleans, which was a community built in the 1970s atop a hazardous waste landfill. 

Edited by peeayebee
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

I'm not sure what was so scary about the sandbox part unless we're supposed to believe the little boy was holding the woman hostage. He's not white and she is so maybe?

It was hard to see but I think there were syringes raining down behind them.

• Useful 4

Pretty ballsy of DeSantis to take on Disney, one of the richest corporations in the world. I hope they throw a lot of money at whoever runs against him next. I also hope they pick up and move lock, stock and barrel to another state. Wow. Think of what that would do to the Florida economy, and it would serve 'em right.

• Love 5
On 5/2/2022 at 4:49 AM, scarynikki12 said:

I love Ollie's intense look as he made it clear that there's no fucking morgue at Disney. The camera nodding in response was perfection.

Glad he highlighted Abbott's absolutely stupid delays at the border, especially the fact that it cost Texas 4 BILLION dollars. 

17 hours ago, Brandi Maxxxx said:

It was hard to see but I think there were syringes raining down behind them.

IIRC, there were tents set up in the sandbox, so presumably 'scary homeless people' were just waiting to attack them or something like that.

• Useful 3
11 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Pretty ballsy of DeSantis to take on Disney, one of the richest corporations in the world. I hope they throw a lot of money at whoever runs against him next. I also hope they pick up and move lock, stock and barrel to another state. Wow. Think of what that would do to the Florida economy, and it would serve 'em right.

I just hope Floridan votes sees how stupid that move is. Do they really want to be on the hook for the billions in debts? Figuring out where to get money for fire, trash and everything else Disney currently takes care of in "their" county? I really hope this is the thing that finally bites DeSantis in the ass. 

• Love 3

John has a point on the panda bears. They’re nature’s stuntmen. They fall down, go boom, then walk it off. Also, you’d have to see mother pandas abusing the hell out of their cubs. It’s funny, but I think it toughens them up for falling from trees.

On 5/4/2022 at 4:15 PM, iMonrey said:

Hearing Shaquille O'Neal trying to explain how to save on gas was just . . . embarrassing. 

What was his logic? 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Topic was depressing. It’s appalling that minorities can just have pollution dumped on them without so much as a second thought. I should be used to this . . . most of John’s topics are appalling, even when he throws in panda commentary and old-school PSAs.

On 5/3/2022 at 11:26 AM, iMonrey said:

Pretty ballsy of DeSantis to take on Disney, one of the richest corporations in the world.

I saw kids at his conferences. They did not look happy.

• Love 2
On 5/4/2022 at 4:15 PM, iMonrey said:

Hearing Shaquille O'Neal trying to explain how to save on gas was just . . . embarrassing. 

14 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

What was his logic? 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

I think (maybe?) his logic was something along the lines of, if you don't want to spend $80 to fill your tank, then fill up when it's half empty, and it will only cost you half as much per gas fill up.  But, he somehow got in his head that half of $80 is $20?  So a couple of bad assumptions, but apart from those, sound logic, right?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1