Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E19: Nurture

• Start Topic

I like this show, it's... charming. It's like they took the concept of Hawaii 5-0, removed most of the bullshit and managed to create something better than any fourth or fifth spinoff of something else has any right to be.

I hope the Fish and Wildlife crew come back, they were both fun. And we had actual inter-agency cooperation this time around with no secret bad guys among the help!

The Hawaiian Lion King wasn't as sleazy as he should have been. I haven't seen The Tiger King but my impression of Joe Exotic is that he is not quite as cuddly as depicted here.

• Love 3

There's still too much family drama ion this show.  Tenant is the first female lead of an NCIS show.   Great.  Can she just lead the team.  The occasional aside or even plot about how hard it is being a parent and LEO is one thing.  All the NCIS shows--and procedurals--have that.   But having her get teary about her kids every third episode and having everyone tell her she should have a cape is getting old.   

These CBS shows are so incestuous.  The Fish and Wildlife guy was Krummy from CSI: Cyber.   It took me a realize it, but the TIger King knockoff was Balki.     

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
19 minutes ago, Maverick said:

It took me a realize it, but the TIger King knockoff was Balki.     

WOW! That was Bronson Pinchot from Perfect Strangers. I did not recognize him.

• Love 4

That was probably the best episode yet. Yes, we got family drama but it was not caused by kidnapping, terrorists, drug barons or psychopaths - all happening on Hawaii 5-0 (and that's just what I remember in a couple of seconds). It was a 'mundane' sports injury and I really liked how it was handled - no angry arguments between the divorced parents about the treatment or accusations that Alex was pushed too hard by one or the other. Tennant and her ex were worried, talked it through and came to a decision. I also loved Tennant's pep talk to Alex making no promises that she could not keep and over-optimistic predictions about his future in pro sports. Just gently introducing him to adulthood where plans do indeed change all the time. It's breathtaking sensible writing. 

I might side-eye that NCIS kept handling the case once it turned into a terrorist threat. Those poor extras in FBI jackets were just set decoration. But fanciful jurisdiction is par for the course in this franchise. And Melanie and her co-worker were a nice addition to the team and his directing Tennant through the crowd by using his knowledge of animal behavior was a bit of inspired writing. I also appreciated little grace notes like Kai using his military training when they approached the Lion King and in the next scene it was Melanie who made sure they were safe by checking first that there were no unrestrained animals around. And yes, they make a cute couple.

The fight choreography on this show is really good. Tennant's fight with the terrorist looked realistic (well, tv realistic - she should have had some bruises). She didn't manage to knock him out with one punch and took some beating herself, she did not take him down by brute force but more by technique. It also looked as if Vanessa Lachey did most of the stunt work herself. I noticed the stunt woman in the tackle and maybe in the leg twist.

Not so good: stop with the Whistler drama, show! She lied by omission and she apologized. The only reason Lucy is still moping to a degree that her co-workers notice is because those two are not over. So let's get this done and spare us more teenage angst.

Also: Pepper!!!

• Love 7

This is the first episode I’ve been able to make it through. Part of it are the two people from Fish and Wildlife. Too bad they can’t become regulars?!?

One of the things that I don’t like about this show is the way Tenant is portrayed. (Not necessary in this episode. I get being worried about her kid.) To me, she acts like a “sad-sack” most of the time.

I will agree about the whose in charge prejudice of NCIS. We have all been TV conditioned to expecting the FBI to swoop in as they didn't trust the minor league law enforcement agencies. New Orleans played to that at times while the mothership dropped it a decade ago.

The SAC Tenant fighting was great, not over the top WWE moves or power moves on someone 60 lbs heavier.

The only weakness was the this must be the terrorist target justification and conclusion. It was exactly the same as the Hawaii 5-0 and NCIS Los Angeles crossover episodes. In a resort tourism town giving the bad guys goal anything would be a target

• Love 1

I love that Fish & Wildlife kept de-escalating the situations, and it was unexpected to see the guy who cared so little about the other animals tear up over Pepper.  The show does have some nice touches they add to the show.

• Love 2

Once again, the relationship between Tennant and her ex was well written and well acted.  They really are trying to appropriately co-parent their kids without their relationship baggage getting in the way.  Speaking of kids, so....what....was the little sister staying at a friends house this whole time?  Alex is shown to be so loving to his new little brother, so much so that he leaves his room to gaze adoringly at him through the nursery window* but doesn't ask about his little sister, who for all we know is home alone about to drop the hair dryer into her bath?

Bronson Pinchot is really a chameleon, isn't he?  I've seen him guest star on a number of procedural shows like this, and each time his character is completely separate from the others and it takes a while before you realize it is the same guy who played Balki.  Talk about a memorable character!  Pinchot is completely believable in whatever role he's playing, be it a creepy serial killer on NCIS, a smarmy drug dealer on Hawaii 5-0, or an amoral yet still animal loving smuggler on NCIS: Hawaii.  Yes, I know, it is called "acting" for a reason, but he's really good at it and I don't think gets enough credit for how good he is.

*As for baby nursery viewing windows.....I believe these only exist on TV anymore.  Has anyone tried to go through the security hoops to get into a maternity ward in a hospital lately?  You almost have to have your eyeball registered at MTAC to visit a new mother and baby these days. 

• Love 9

Yeha, little sister not being around was a weak point.  I wish they had addressed that if only by a throw-away line that she stays at a friendd's house. Clearly aunt Maggie is no longer around for impromptu babysitting. I also thought the whole single mother hero speech was a bit much. Tennant is competent at her job and a good mother and that's clearly very hard to pull off. But that particular accolade was ill-timed in the episode where her ex got more scenes (all of them non acrimonious) with her than ever before. 

I enjoyed this episode.  I get that they like to include family drama as part of this show, but I thought it worked well here.  My only request now is that I would like us to meet Boone's wife and I want Lucy's parents or sibling to visit.

I really enjoyed the two Fish and Wildlife agents.  We had mention of Pike from CGIS, so maybe Siggy and Melanie can make occasional drop in appearances or at least get mentioned.  I thought Kai and Melanie worked well together.

5 hours ago, MissLucas said:

The fight choreography on this show is really good. Tennant's fight with the terrorist looked realistic (well, tv realistic - she should have had some bruises). She didn't manage to knock him out with one punch and took some beating herself, she did not take him down by brute force but more by technique. It also looked as if Vanessa Lachey did most of the stunt work herself. I noticed the stunt woman in the tackle and maybe in the leg twist.

I thought it was a great TV fight.  What was a bit unbelievable to me was how still and quiet the onlookers were.  She didn't announce herself as a federal agent, but here's this dude with a backpack and a canister rolling out of it that's beating up on a smaller woman, and NOBODY even tries to help her?  And nobody even whooped or shouted encouragement to her.  Or applauded when the agents arrested the guy.

2 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

Bronson Pinchot is really a chameleon, isn't he?  I've seen him guest star on a number of procedural shows like this, and each time his character is completely separate from the others and it takes a while before you realize it is the same guy who played Balki.  Talk about a memorable character!  Pinchot is completely believable in whatever role he's playing, be it a creepy serial killer on NCIS, a smarmy drug dealer on Hawaii 5-0, or an amoral yet still animal loving smuggler on NCIS: Hawaii.  Yes, I know, it is called "acting" for a reason, but he's really good at it and I don't think gets enough credit for how good he is.

I guess for me, I didn't recognise him because apparently I haven't seen him on anything in a long time, so I still picture him 30 years and 50(?) pounds ago.

2 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

Once again, the relationship between Tennant and her ex was well written and well acted.  They really are trying to appropriately co-parent their kids without their relationship baggage getting in the way.  Speaking of kids, so....what....was the little sister staying at a friends house this whole time?  Alex is shown to be so loving to his new little brother, so much so that he leaves his room to gaze adoringly at him through the nursery window* but doesn't ask about his little sister, who for all we know is home alone about to drop the hair dryer into her bath?

And I agree about the missing little sister.  A throwaway line that she was staying with Aunt Flora or at Kaylee's house or something.  And wouldn't they want her to be at the hospital to see her brother and her new baby brother?  I know this happens often with little kids on TV shows.  The same thing happens with Sophie on "Superman and Lois", she is almost never around and she is seemingly always at camp or they just don't mention her at all.

Edited by blackwing
  • Love 1

I hope this is the end of Alex’s story for the season. And am so glad I don’t have to see and hear about his vegetarian little sister.

Leadership wise, I always prefer Jane Tennant than Saint Olivia Benson because she isn’t preachy and doesn’t micro-manage. Love seeing Ernie trying his best to cheer Lucy up. I hope we don’t have to see Kate Whistler anymore but I know that’s not happening. Now, bring back Capt. Joe Milius will ya‼️

Pepper is so stingingly cute!!! ☺️❤️

• Love 2
22 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I love that Fish & Wildlife kept de-escalating the situations, and it was unexpected to see the guy who cared so little about the other animals tear up over Pepper.  The show does have some nice touches they add to the show.

That was a turn with Kai immediately going to the Infantry School solution. Also Siggy's I don't need a stinking warrant announcement to the doctor caught me.

Sitting out alone in a ghillie suit tracking a big man killer cat with a useless pistol makes him as brave as any cop or agent seen on TV. Though given their mission you would think that  they would carry something big like Game Warden Joe Pickett. But I guess since no large predators exist on land in Hawai'i 

• Love 1

I really liked this episode. I have to admit Vanessa Lachey and Jane Tennant have grown on me. I like the character a lot and I like how she is able to co-parent amicably and respectfully with her ex. 

When Kai asked the Wildife girl (sorry can't remember her name) what island she was from and she said "Iowa" it made me laugh because I used to get that all the time too when I lived there, because I "looked local". I was an elementary school teacher hired straight from the mainland and there were a couple of other teachers like that at my school but they were all white and "haole" looking so a lot of the other teachers and parents assumed I was local . I hope we see her and Kai develop a relationship. They make a cute couple! And she can bring her funny co-worker along to some of their cases.

• Love 2
On 4/20/2022 at 10:27 AM, Raja said:

Sitting out alone in a ghillie suit tracking a big man killer cat with a useless pistol makes him as brave as any cop or agent seen on TV. Though given their mission you would think that  they would carry something big like Game Warden Joe Pickett.

Nice!  A fellow fan of C. J. Box's books 🙂

4 hours ago, transitfan said:

Nice!  A fellow fan of C. J. Box's books 🙂

To tell the whole truth I just saw the Spectrum Cable TV series a few months ago