Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E19: LUCY; SwiftPaws; BusyBox; The Dirty Cookie

• Start Topic

An entrepreneur from Lincoln, California, makes his second appearance in the Tank and hopes this time around his reinvented take on an old drawing tool for artists will land him a deal. An entrepreneur from Malabar, Florida, introduces the perfect way to bond with your dog with her equipment designed to keep them mentally and physically fit; while entrepreneurs from Whitinsville, Massachusetts, and Kittery, Maine, present their productivity tool which helps professionals work uninterrupted while working from home. Last in the tank is an entrepreneur from Foothill Ranch, California, who gets one shot to impress the Sharks with her custom sweet treat design that makes the perfect gift.

In a Shark Tank update, Hans Dose from Menifee, California, updates his investor Daymond John about Tenikle, the octopus-inspired tripod mount for phones, cameras and tablets.

The Sharks in this episode are Mark Cuban, Robert Herjavec, Kevin O'Leary, Lori Greiner and Daymond John.

Everyone used to trace things with an overhead projector. I bet you can pick one up for practically nothing now that people use PowerPoint. Does exactly the same thing as his supposed artistic tool. The dog toy would work great for cats too if you have the indoor space. When she gave them the sales figures I wondered if she was only referring to the version she was trying to sell them and not the professional one that cost over $2000.

21 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Everyone used to trace things with an overhead projector.

That’s exactly what I was thinking. Also, it reminded me of Paint By Numbers. You can use it and tell yourself you’re an artist, but you’re not.

The dog chasing machine was kind of funny, but I didn’t get the point. It’s supposed to help someone who doesn’t have time to exercise their dog, yet they still have to stand there and operate the thing. I’d save the $500 and just throw a ball. 

As for the “Busy” sign, a post-it note on the door will accomplish the same thing. Or do what my work-from-home spouse does: close the door when you don’t want to be interrupted, open it when it’s ok to enter. No signs needed.

I didn’t understand the market for the cookie shotglasses, either. Hungry alcoholics? I wonder how many drinks it would hold before disintegrating. Or is it just one shot, you eat the cookie, and party’s over? 

Lori’s little “magic ticket” was laughable. They (including her) make deals all the time that match the inventor’s ask. So why make a production about it this time? I could see the other sharks rolling their eyes, as well.

It was a perfectly entertaining episode, I just didn’t buy any of it.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, 30 Helens said:

Lori’s little “magic ticket” was laughable. They (including her) make deals all the time that match the inventor’s ask. So why make a production about it this time? I could see the other sharks rolling their eyes, as well.

I did, too. Is making an offer as usual just for lesser Sharks?  Stop trying to make fetch happen, Lori. You don't need a gimmick.

The dog exercise machine looks cool, but seems like a high-end version of a flirt pole, which costs like $20.

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

That’s exactly what I was thinking. Also, it reminded me of Paint By Numbers. You can use it and tell yourself you’re an artist, but you’re not.

The dog chasing machine was kind of funny, but I didn’t get the point. It’s supposed to help someone who doesn’t have time to exercise their dog, yet they still have to stand there and operate the thing. I’d save the $500 and just throw a ball. 

As for the “Busy” sign, a post-it note on the door will accomplish the same thing. Or do what my work-from-home spouse does: close the door when you don’t want to be interrupted, open it when it’s ok to enter. No signs needed.

I didn’t understand the market for the cookie shotglasses, either. Hungry alcoholics? I wonder how many drinks it would hold before disintegrating. Or is it just one shot, you eat the cookie, and party’s over? 

It was a perfectly entertaining episode, I just didn’t buy any of it.

So a few comments- when i was a little kid, my parents used to buy these chocolate kahlua cups to put cordials in. I think they were 5 dollars. Her cups looked amatuer, and 49 plus ahipping and add ons, no problem. 
kevin chasing the 20 was awesome 😂😂.

i had a sign made for me on etsy for 10 bucks which has 2 sides, 1 says “ in a meeting “ or you can flip it around “ ok to knock.

a year ago on wish i bought a small item that projected an image for you to trace, it was about 8 bucks. 

Edited by nlkm9
Omission
  • Love 1
(edited)

Sharks Kevin, Mark, Lori, Daymond, Robert, I like some of the guest sharks, but I like when the regular cast is here.

1. LUCIDART-Seller was on show in Season 2, with a carsick bib.   This is a drawing tool, where you draw over the image of the item, so anyone can be an artist.   It has a viewing tool, where you look at the object through a lens, and you trace the object.   Kevin does this, and should stay a Shark, and not become an artist.  20% of the sales are beginners, some amateurs, and some pros.   Lifetime sales $10 million, last year $3.7 million in 2020, almost half profit.   95% is sold online.   I think Lori would have been a good Shark with her QVC shows.   Daymond makes the deal.  (Thanks to EXEAL for the correction.)

2. Swift Paws-Watching Kevin do this for $10 is hysterical.  It's a way to exercise dogs, with a game of chase.  You set the course, pull the trigger, and the animal chases the toy.  There's a remote control for the owner.    It's actually a competitive sport.  The use straight line courses for pros.  It's part of lure coursing, and agility competitions.    There's one for pro competitions, and the home edition.   $449 for the home kit, $135 to build, $1.5 million lifetime.   The sales and profit numbers suck.   She does the assembly in her home town, and should be doing it off shore.  She needs a much lower price to manufacture.  If they get the price down, I think it will be a fantastic product.  I think this is a product for someone who bought a high energy dog, and wants to exercise the dog while the owner is on the phone, and something else, because they don't want to care for the dog.   I wonder about all of the jerky, fast movements, and how many dogs will get injuries from it.   Lori gets the deal with the Golden Ticket.  

3. Busybox-Productivity tool when working from home.    An electronic sign you can put on your door, to say you're working, and you can put whatever message or colors on it.    There's a standard and digital model.  The digital model is $299.    There competitors to sit on your desk, the sign from Busybox mounts on your door at home, to keep people from interrupting you on video calls.   Seller is scattered, has a ton of different ideas.    I think he came on the show for publicity, and if he landed a Shark, it would be a bonus for him.   No deal.

4. Dirty Cookie-an innovation in sweet treats.   In the edible gifting space, with a shot glass made of cookies, with gluten free offerings.   You sip the beverage, and eat the cookie container.  $50 a dozen, $13 to manufacture, you decorate your own.   2020 sales are almost $2 million.  2021 $2.6 million, and only made $300k.   They're partnering with FTD flowers, and 1-800-flowers.    She's 100% owner.   She thinks they'll get to $6 million in 2023.    Kevin tells her to get her costs down to $3.00 from $12.00.    Everyone is out but Lori, and Robert is back.  She makes the deal with Robert. 

Tenikle phone and device holder update.  Product is doing very well.

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

My opinion on the edible cookie shot glass is that I doubt people would buy it a second time.  I don't get the appeal-but then again I have never dipped my cookies into milk as I don't like soggy cookies.  Also, if it was really viable I think Kevin would see it as a second Wicked Good Cupcakes (which I believe he made quite a bit of money on) and offer a royalty deal.  I never get why there are offers on products that seem to have really limited appeal.

The art guy really didn't even understand the history behind what he was trying to sell.  The concept is much older than 1800 (which is what he referenced).  And, as was noted above, many people use overhead transparency machines and I've known artists who used slide projectors.  Not a new concept.  But, I think his market really could be art classes in schools if he could really drop the price.

The dog toy concerns me as some dogs would run themselves ragged and even suffer heat exhaustion if their owners make them play it too much.  It would really have to be monitored.  My dog loves to fetch his ball (and I do walk him as well), and I have to stop play when he starts to get over-heated.  If someone was on the phone or talking or being distracted while playing it could really be bad for the dog.  Or, if someone let their young children control it the children might make the dogs over play.  When the presenter let the sharks control it I could see how much they liked running the dog but the dog may have been getting frustrated.  Too potentially dangerous for dogs in my opinion.

The busy sign?  A situation of a product looking for a problem to solve.  However, I was highly entertained by their presentation (mainly the humor demonstrated by the younger presenter).

• Love 1

I liked the swift paws the best. The dogs will stop if they get tired.   And most owners aren't going to exhaust their dogs on purpose without a break. But a bit pricey, hope they can bring down cost. 

The sign is just too much for something you can do with just a simple sign you make yourself. Would have to be like $50 to have a chance. Can then see it being like a dorm room/ college device. 

Kind of like the edible cookie shot glasses but true it may be a one time thing. Can't believe they hand make them all now!

I dont really get the art device thing but then I'm not an artist and have no interest in trying. 

• Useful 2
14 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

My opinion on the edible cookie shot glass is that I doubt people would buy it a second time.  I don't get the appeal-but then again I have never dipped my cookies into milk as I don't like soggy cookies. 

. . . or crumbs in my drink.

19 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

At her prices, the party would definitely be over.

15 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

She thinks they'll get to $6 million in 2023.

Aside from the fact that I think that is overly optimistic (aka delusional), as usual nobody did the actual math. At $50+ per dozen, $6 million is only 120,000 units sold which is not very impressive.

I think Robert just gave her the deal out of lust. He wanted her to get her $400K machine. It's You Smell all over again. 

• Love 1

As for the “Busy” sign, a post-it note on the door will accomplish the same thing.

Whatever happened to the old fashioned "Do Not Disturb" sign? Is that a concept that is too complex for Gen Z to understand? 

• Love 5

I think Lori will end up regretting the Golden Ticket. Lifetime sales are only 3333 units. The amount of work Lori will have to put in to get the costs down to reduce the price point to something reasonable isn't going to be worth only a 6% return on her investment. The valuation going in was ridiculous, and Lori fell for it!

16 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Tenikle phone and device holder update.  Product is doing very well.

It has only been six weeks since their episode aired. Increased sales can still be attributed to the Snark Tank Effect. It is way too soon to call it a success.

Edited by eel21788
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

LUCIDART-Seller was on show in Season 2, with a carsick bib.

How many times did he have to mention that? It had nothing to do with what he was trying to sell now, and it certainly didn't help him get a deal this time, either.

• Love 1
On 4/8/2022 at 9:27 PM, nlkm9 said:

Did anyone notice loris necklace that looked like a badge? 

She’s been wearing that in every episode. She’s promoting a line of jewelry on Twitter called LanaJewelry and she’s wearing that necklace, among others, in the photo. People have been asking her if it’s a police badge but she hasn’t responded to their questions.

• Love 2
On 4/9/2022 at 7:19 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Sharks Kevin, Mark, Lori, Daymond, Robert, I like some of the guest sharks, but I like when the regular cast is here.

1. LUCIDART-Seller was on show in Season 2, with a carsick bib.   This is a drawing tool, where you draw over the image of the item, so anyone can be an artist.   It has a viewing tool, where you look at the object through a lens, and you trace the object.   Kevin does this, and should stay a Shark, and not become an artist.  20% of the sales are beginners, some amateurs, and some pros.   Lifetime sales $10 million, last year $3.7 million in 2020, almost half profit.   95% is sold online.   I think Lori would have been a good Shark with her QVC shows.   No deal. 

Daymond made a deal with the seller... $300K for a 15% stake.

2022-04-10 14.46.59.jpg

2022-04-10 14.47.45.jpg

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 4/9/2022 at 12:39 AM, LittleIggy said:

Kevin chasing the $20 bill! 🤣😂🤣

Best part of the episode!

On 4/9/2022 at 4:54 AM, 30 Helens said:

Exactly, this is where the point of this thing was lost on me.  I was really shocked that Lori offered her Golden Ticket on this.   When Lori offered it on the Bug Bite Thing back in 2019 - that made sense to me.  I bought one for my son who gets eaten alive by mosquitos, and it is fantastic - worth every penny!  I bought my husband his own after he kept borrowing my son's all the time. 

But for this?  I'm scratching my head on that one.

The cake shotglasses seem ok, but I find that a lot of these type of things just seem so expensive and gimmicky.  Maybe it's because I can bake that the idea of spending this kind of money on baked goods is nuts to me.  I did like her, and hope that she is successful with Robert.

The artist thing - I echo everyone else about an overhear projector or whatnot.  I'm surprised that he has that much in sales.

$300 for that sign thing is ludicrous.  I can't believe that he has that much in sales! I agree - a post-it note, a sign on a sheet of paper, so many more cost effective options than this would work just fine.

Edited by aemom
Typo
  • Love 2

WRT the Golden Ticket -- it's getting near the end of the season, so if she didn't give it to someone soon, she'd be stuck with it.  

I've seen the dog chasing thing at Pet Expos -- most dogs seem to love it and they're no more likely to tire themselves out than they would  ball retrieving or doing any other exercise.  I would be interested at a lower price point -- not b/c I don't have time to exercise my dogs but b/c I think they'd like it and it's something I can't replicate with other activities.  

• Love 1
19 hours ago, eel21788 said:

Whatever happened to the old fashioned "Do Not Disturb" sign? Is that a concept that is too complex for Gen Z to understand? 

The guy pitching the stupid and overly-priced busy sign was definitely not Gen Z. Apparently the old fashioned sign was too complex for him to understand. And his family is apparently too rude to knock on a door when they know someone is working.

I think very few people would find a need to spend money on it, especially at this point. People have either adjusted to working at home or are pack in the office.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, dogdays2 said:

I've seen the dog chasing thing at Pet Expos -- most dogs seem to love it and they're no more likely to tire themselves out than they would  ball retrieving or doing any other exercise.  I would be interested at a lower price point -- not b/c I don't have time to exercise my dogs but b/c I think they'd like it and it's something I can't replicate with other activities.  

I’m pretty sure my dogs would just sit there and watch the plastic bag go round and round. But I might be willing to try it if it were priced much lower. No way would I take a chance on a $500 machine, unless I were absolutely certain my dog would love it and would never get tired of it. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 4/9/2022 at 11:57 PM, LittleIggy said:

This website tells you how to make your own camera lucidahttps://www.twowaymirrors.com/camera-lucida/

Well, that’s actually pretty complicated! By the time you found the proper parts and put it together, you may have spent a similar amount. I am one of the people who form the right market for this tool. I’m an amateur trying to learn to draw for fun. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Love 2

The risk from the dog chase toy all depends on the dog and the owner. Some dogs won't even be interested, might just sit down in the middle and watch the thing go around. But others with a high energy level and prey drive will go bananas for it, and that kind of dog can easily over do it from the excitement, especially outside in the heat. I had a dog like that who would run himself crazy and sick if I kept throwing the ball, so it was up to me to know when he needed a break. I think the danger with that toy is an owner who thinks the dog is loving it and the owner doesn't have to exert any effort to retrieve a toy each time and throw it again -- which gives the dog a little breather -- so it goes on too long.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2