Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E07: Chapter One Hundred and Two: Death at a Funeral

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

HERMOINE COMES TO TOWN - Following the explosion at the Andrews residence, Archie (KJ Apa) assembles a team to help rebuild his home, while Jughead (Cole Sprouse) copes with his new reality. Meanwhile, at the Riverdale town hall meeting, Veronica (Camila Mendes) breaks some news to the town, which later prompts a visit from her mother Hermoine (guest star Marisol Nichols). At Thornhill, Britta (guest star Kyra Leroux) tries to get to the bottom of some strange happenings going on with Cheryl (Madelaine Petsch) and Nana Rose (guest star Barbara Wallace).

Original Airdate: March 27, 2022   8:00-9:00 p.m.    CW
RVD607a_0133r.jpg
RVD607a_0082r.jpg
RVD607b_0303r.jpg

Abigail is a fun way to bring back the Cheryl/Toni relationship in an organic way.  Plus Abigail might just be a fun villain type character.

i kinda like the way she show slow walked the Jughead powers storyline.

i still think. Betty and Archie have no chemistry but apparently I am in the minority so I will deal with it.  I do kinda like the krypton it’s stuff (when their powers work and don’t work).  It’s silly and just so Riverdale.

26 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

i still think. Betty and Archie have no chemistry but apparently I am in the minority 

I don't think you're in the minority. Betty/Archie has always been a smaller fandom than Betty/Jughead (although of course a lot of people like them).

None of the current couples have a lick of chemistry, save Veronica/Reggie, who seem attracted to each other if not suited for a long-term relationship.

Jughead/Tabitha are a particularly notable example. They are straight up uncomfortable to watch. When he kissed her, with all the passion of a person pecking their great aunt at a funeral, I burst out laughing.

• Love 1

Every time I think Riverdale has reached the so stupid it turns me off saturation point there is something that keeps me invested. The problem is the show never pulls the trigger and ends up reversing intriguing stories like Jughead getting murdered.    I actually really enjoyed the Rivervale storyline and how the storyline turned everyone super dark.  I wouldn’t have minded if the show had stayed there.  But it looks like certain aspects have reverberated.   I hate all the current relationships but I think so do the writers which is the point of Abigail who is there to kinda throw a grenade in middle of everything just to see what happens.  Plus Abigail makes for an interesting villain.  

I did kinda feel sorry for Veronica when none of her friends showed up for Hiram’s funeral/wake .  Yeah the guy was the town supervillain but Veronica has been a friend to them so making an appearance for her sake was something Archie and Betty at least should have done.    Jughead at least had an excuse being in a bad place with his deafness.   But Veronica having no real support.  I loved the scene where she opened the door and the guy with the forms that she had to sign was there and Veronica just sighed and said something like “oh yeah right.”  And signed the consent forms and immediately became part of a staged reality tv program.   I found that really sad.

Not sure about this season at all.  But it has some interesting ideas.   And if I was writing it I would have Abigail slowing tear apart the really problematic pairings the show has walked it’s way into in her quest to get back the love of her life.   

Edited by Chaos Theory

I still do not believe that Hiram's dead. They're trying to make us buy it but his death took place entirely off screen and Veronica said nothing to Reggie's question about its authenticity besides "I'm sure he's dead." Okay? He'll be gone for a while and come back in the season finale is my prediction.

I agree the new couples really have no chemistry. Betty/Archie are super blah, Jughead and Tabitha are worse. I think Reggie and Veronica are the exception in that they actually fit- they look great together and seem attracted to each other at least. 

The supernatural stuff is weird but honestly no weirder than most stuff on this show.

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, ruby24 said:

I still do not believe that Hiram's dead. They're trying to make us buy it but his death took place entirely off screen and Veronica said nothing to Reggie's question about its authenticity besides "I'm sure he's dead." Okay? He'll be gone for a while and come back in the season finale is my prediction.

I agree the new couples really have no chemistry. Betty/Archie are super blah, Jughead and Tabitha are worse. I think Reggie and Veronica are the exception in that they actually fit- they look great together and seem attracted to each other at least. 

The supernatural stuff is weird but honestly no weirder than most stuff on this show.

Agree with all of this. Betty/Archie seem like frat bros hanging out, Jughead/Tabitha seem like a cheerful babysitter and her errant, surly charge, and Veronica/Reggie have sexual chemistry but not much else. Don't see them long-term, but casually dating, sure. It is really strange to have two couples who don't seem remotely attracted to each other. I have no idea what the writers are thinking.

Not sure if Hiram is "really" dead, but I'm sure the show decided to go the "there's no body!" route in case they want to bring him back later.

I'm betting the supernatural stuff will disappear via a twist at some point. (A pocket universe, an AU, something like that.) That way the writers can explore the supernatural without really committing to it.

• Love 1

Betty and Archie have loads of chemistry and I love watching them. It’s been super fun watching their dynamic, in my opinion. It’s playful and exciting. The story is bonkers, which makes it even more of a trip. They have a nice balance of being grounded within it, though. I can’t wait to see more.

15 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Yeah the guy was the town supervillain but Veronica has been a friend to them so making an appearance for her sake was something Archie and Betty at least should have done.  

I don’t agree. Hiram almost killed them. 

• Love 1
On 3/27/2022 at 7:25 PM, the-grey-lady said:

None of the current couples have a lick of chemistry

A lot of the past couples didn’t have much chemistry. It was getting old, too, I am glad someone out there recognized that. Whether a couple has a larger fandom doesn’t matter. Betty and Jughead fans aren’t the final say as to whether Betty and Archie have chemistry. 

Edited by HeatLifer
  • Love 1

Good to know that apparently the idea of vampire warlocks are too far-fetched for Toni.  I mean, does she know what kind of show she's on?

They certainly are trying their best to make me believe Hiram is gone for good, but I still think they are slightly keeping the door open in the off case Mark Consuelos ever wants back in.  I also wonder if Hermosa was the one who put out the hit on Veronica.  The hitman mentioned another woman, but I'm wondering if the "big twist" will be that it was Hermione instead.  But that would be too far of a stretch, even for this show.... right?

Jughead has now fully lost his hearing, but he has figured out how to keep his writing going by telling stories through graphic novels instead.  Oh, and he can also read minds now.  Yep, totally normal!

TBK finally shows his face and almost takes out Archie once they discover Archie is weak around a certain mineral (how Superman of him!)  Luckily for him, Bingo was there to save the day!

Abigail might not like the modern fashion Cheryl rocks, but she's certainly all about her taste in women!

For some reason, the way Archie was casually chowing down on Doritos when telling Betty about Jughead's hearing loss made me chuckle.  What would normally be a pretty big discovery for most barely makes anyone on this show flinch, because they've been through so much already that nothing can really surprise them at this point.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

For some reason, the way Archie was casually chowing down on Doritos when telling Betty about Jughead's hearing loss made me chuckle. 

Nothing tops the superpower of product placement.

• LOL 3
On 3/28/2022 at 9:43 PM, the-grey-lady said:

I'm betting the supernatural stuff will disappear via a twist at some point. (A pocket universe, an AU, something like that.) That way the writers can explore the supernatural without really committing to it.

In the previews someone says something like "The world you're living in isn't reality".  So it appears this set of episodes is similar to the last set, in that it's some sort of fantasy.  That leaves room for Hiram to return (and Glenn).

I thought Jughead writing the graphic novel was interesting, I was thinking it would set the stage for him to eventually write the Archie comics.  But who knows if the graphic novel writing will stick?  

I liked Bingo the Superdog's heroics.

I've always thought Betty and Archie together was icky, and I still do.

• Love 3

I’m kind of wondering if Zig from Degrassi, or whatever Abuelita’s God son’s name was, is actually Hiram in disguise (or maybe a Cheryl like soul possession.) Also, that Abuelita placed the hit on Veronica, which is why he knew when and where to foil it. 

11 hours ago, absnow54 said:

I’m kind of wondering if Zig from Degrassi, or whatever Abuelita’s God son’s name was, is actually Hiram in disguise (or maybe a Cheryl like soul possession.) 

That's a crazy idea, so I can't rule it out for this show.

Ooo -- I didn't know this was back on. I'm okay with staying supernatural, but I'm worried that we're going to re-tread the same story over and over, just changing the circumstances slightly.

I have not seen The Sound of Metal but I also wonder if Jughead's doing a Sound of Metal.

I was legitimately surprised and scared when that random construction worker hit Archie with a wrench and turned out to be the trash bag killer.

• Love 1

I really liked Jughead's storyline this week. Silent episodes are nothing new, but the way it focused on Jughead's writing process, how not being able to listen to music or his clacking typewriter really messed him up and he pivoted to graphic writing was really interesting.

This show can be more than just balls off the wall crazy when it wants to be!

On 3/28/2022 at 11:31 PM, HeatLifer said:

This so much. When you think on all the stuff Hiram did to the three of them, even when Veronica knew and was still championing her Daddykins, I can't blame them for not going. Most people would have cut Veronica out long ago to boot.

On 3/29/2022 at 12:02 AM, thuganomics85 said:

They certainly are trying their best to make me believe Hiram is gone for good, but I still think they are slightly keeping the door open in the off case Mark Consuelos ever wants back in.  

Hiram was funny, but he was honestly played out by now ( a recurring issue with CW villains). If they do want to use Mark Conseulos again, they can use him for a new character, maybe even a brother. They already did it with Clifford and Claudius. Bonus points if he would act like the comic version of Hiram, to the general befuddlement of all.

TBK finally shows his face and almost takes out Archie once they discover Archie is weak around a certain mineral (how Superman of him!) 

There's a Reddit theory that their powers and weaknesses are related to their traumas, with Archie being weak to palladium because it represents Hiram's obsession and how that led to most of the stuff Hiram did to him.

Luckily for him, Bingo was there to save the day!

Best dog in town.

• Love 3
On 3/29/2022 at 12:31 AM, HeatLifer said:

Betty and Archie have loads of chemistry and I love watching them. It’s been super fun watching their dynamic, in my opinion. It’s playful and exciting. The story is bonkers, which makes it even more of a trip. They have a nice balance of being grounded within it, though. I can’t wait to see more.

Maybe a half measure. Not going to the funeral, but going to the reception afterwards.

On 3/30/2022 at 12:48 AM, rmontro said:

I thought Jughead writing the graphic novel was interesting, I was thinking it would set the stage for him to eventually write the Archie comics.  But who knows if the graphic novel writing will stick?  

this is the best endgame for the series.

I've never been sure what 'chemistry' is exactly. I assume it is a word to describe something when you are auditioning people for a part, sort of a couple's charisma. In fandom I think it feeds on itself, like Ugg boots and leggings without pants and colored stripes in the hair. People look good together, the more people think they look good together.

The real trick, though, is to make the relationship make sense over time. Considering the general unstable weirdness of these characters it has got to be hard for them to act like they are in an established relationship.

Edited by Affogato
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Affogato said:

I've never been sure what 'chemistry' is exactly.

Agreed that chemistry is tricky to define, but I don't think it's just looking good together.

A lot of it has to do with how comfortable the actors seem with other, which can vary by scenario. Jughead and Tabitha have good friendship chemistry but zip for romantic chemistry. They look awkward even hugging.

Veronica and Reggie have good romantic chemistry, as they seem to be very attracted to each other, but seem annoyed as friends.

Bad chemistry pulls viewers out of a scene and reminds them they're watching something fictional, while good chemistry makes the story immersive.

Just opinions, of course, all my own.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, the-grey-lady said:

Just opinions, of course, all my own.

It’s all someone’s perspective and opinion. Chemistry is what we see with our own eyes, sometimes people see it, sometimes they don’t. However, people easily say there’s “no chemistry” when they don’t like a specific pairing. You can dislike a couple and they can have chemistry! Most people I see who say the couples now don’t have chemistry are either Bughead or Varchie fans. It’s no coincidence. 

• Love 1
On 3/29/2022 at 12:02 AM, thuganomics85 said:

The hitman mentioned another woman, but I'm wondering if the "big twist" will be that it was Hermione instead.  But that would be too far of a stretch, even for this show.... right?

I thought the exact same thing, the hitman was so vague about "a woman" hiring him who was backstabbing Veronica, it seems like we are setting up a twist that it was Hermione. She probably didn't expect the hitman to really kill Veronica, just freak her out to give her reality show some extra drama, but who knows on this show. People's morality does have a tendency to switch at the drop of a hat.

With the introduction of magic and some of what happened in Rivervale being cannon now, I am guessing this is either another pocket dimension, or some of Rivervale bled into the main universe and all of the magic stuff will either be removed or we will find out that this is another damn magic universe and none of this will have mattered. I enjoyed Rivervale for how stylized and batshit insane it was, but this is just regular Riverdale with a witch possessing Cheryl and making her even weirder than usual. Poor Toni. 

Betty and Archie just have no spark to me, they still seem like buddies and not boyfriend/girlfriend. I was totally over Veronica/Archie by the end, but at least I bought them as a romantic couple. Betty and Archie seem more like they're going to fist bump at the end of every scene, not kiss. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I thought the exact same thing, the hitman was so vague about "a woman" hiring him who was backstabbing Veronica, it seems like we are setting up a twist that it was Hermione. She probably didn't expect the hitman to really kill Veronica, just freak her out to give her reality show some extra drama, but who knows on this show. People's morality does have a tendency to switch at the drop of a hat.

They also went out of their way to have Hermione talk about how Veronica was always the only person Hiram cared about & she knew she could never compete for his attention, etc, which is a gross dynamic. It makes me hope Hermione doesn't turn out to be the one who tried to kill Veronica, but she probably will. :(

• Love 1
6 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Betty and Archie just have no spark to me, they still seem like buddies and not boyfriend/girlfriend. I was totally over Veronica/Archie by the end, but at least I bought them as a romantic couple. Betty and Archie seem more like they're going to fist bump at the end of every scene, not kiss. 

Betty and Archie have some of the hottest sex scenes. I don’t see buddies or fist bumping because they have transitioned to more than a sexual relationship. They have plenty of spark and chemistry as a romantic couple. 

(edited)
5 hours ago, HeatLifer said:

Betty and Archie have some of the hottest sex scenes. I don’t see buddies or fist bumping because they have transitioned to more than a sexual relationship. They have plenty of spark and chemistry as a romantic couple. 

I think they had one good love scene.

The others have been tepid, and they seem like frat bros now (my opinion only, of course). I've never seen them as having a romantic spark, and they've never seemed compatible.

Edited by the-grey-lady
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, the-grey-lady said:

I think they had one good love scene.

The others have been tepid, and they seem like frat bros now (my opinion only, of course). I've never seen them as having a romantic spark, and they've never seemed compatible.

I don’t know what you’ve seen from frat brothers but that’s not how Betty and Archie behave. They are romantic whether or not you see it. They’ve had a physical spark that’s far from tepid and an emotional spark. If you’ve never seen a romantic spark or don’t think they’re compatible (which they are) nothing will change your mind now.

Edited by HeatLifer
17 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

They are romantic whether or not you see it.

My "not seeing it" isn't the issue here. Chemistry is inherently subjective. I've never seen romantic chemistry there, and that hasn't changed. I respect that you have and do.

• Love 1