Whimsy
  • Start Topic

CBS bio

Name: Jonathan Young
Hometown: Gadsden, AL
Current Residence: Gulfshores, AL

Favorite Hobbies: Working out, spearfishing and surfing

3 Words to Describe You: Endurance, devoted and mentally strong

Pet Peeve: Wearing shirts, people who bully others and when people are disrespectful

What is the accomplishment you are most proud of? Broke the Guinness World Record for most pullups with 100 lbs on my back.

What is something we would never know from looking at you? I can sing an amazing rendition of The Little Mermaid’s “Part of Your World.”

Who is your hero and why? Lex Luger. He is a man of God. My physical and spiritual mentor through some of the hardest times in my life.

Which past Survivor will you play the game most like? Ozzy

Why do you believe you can be the Sole Survivor? My athleticism will help me greatly in the challenges. My wit and charm will help me outside of the challenges. I’m very strong willed and determined. I will not give up on anything.

image.jpeg.41a72d8703c3801661d53628e3ef58f7.jpeg

• Love 2

Well, his interview made him seem like kind of a jerk, but he seemed perfectly nice in the first episode.  He was like a freaking superhero in those challenges--pulling the rowboat all over the place, lugging those heavy trunks around like nothing, etc.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, paul4295 said:

Well, his interview made him seem like kind of a jerk, but he seemed perfectly nice in the first episode.  He was like a freaking superhero in those challenges--pulling the rowboat all over the place, lugging those heavy trunks around like nothing, etc.

And he has a gorgeous body. His hair, not so much, but his body. I try not to objectify people but, yeah, it is hard not to. 

His interview was awful and maybe he will be a jerk but the initial interaction has been very positive. He was smart enough to know he wasn't a puzzle dude and to go find something useful to do. Not just stand around and do nothing, but went to find something to do. He didn't seem to be an ass. 

And his body. So hoping for his personality to match his body because it is kind of gross how I am enjoying that.

• LOL 4
  • Love 6

I stand by my original opinion, but he was way more tolerable than I was expecting.  Nice guy, and not afraid to say that he's nice eye candy.  I hope he doesn't prove me wrong.  I think Taku is a strong tribe, but they'd probably be struggling without Jonathan.  I can see him getting targeted, though, if everyone feels he'll go on an immunity run.

• Love 4

Jonathan seems like a nice & fun guy from what I saw from Episode 1. He was a beast in the challenge and knew his lane in the triangle puzzle. His looks remind me more of the Mayor of Slamtown than Joe Anglim. I don’t think he’d be on anyones radar to vote out (just yet) because he is such a beast. We’ll probably need another episode or two to get a clearer picture. It’s so early in the game to see if he’ll make the merge or not. I’m looking forward to see what he can do and who he works with. 

• Love 5

Jonathan's interview:

https://ew.com/tv/survivor-42-jonathan-young-finale-interview/

-Voted for Mike because he thought he deserved it, and if he had to lose fire to anyone, he was glad it was him

-Doesn't come out and say he would win in the final 3 against MaryAnne and Romeo, but just says he would have done well in the talking part of answering questions

-Was very disappointed they didn't show Omar finding the nullifier

-When asked if there was anything that didn't get shown that he wished had, he said he did a lot of survivalist things like climbing trees and fishing

-Said he started calling Jeff Mr. Jeff (which apparently I missed that part).  Anyway, he said it's a sign of respect he gives people when he starts addressing them by Mr., Mrs., Ma'am, etc

-Also said that no one believed Romeo had an idol

-In the final IC, said he managed to get six balls on the practice round, but blames his loss on brain fog.  Is also disappointed he didn't win more challenges, especially since he was always so close

-His best memories are when they were at the Taku camp, as he felt they meshed really well together.  He felt they worked really well together as a team (which, considering they only lost one IC, I guess I can agree with)

-Would also be on the next plane to Fiji if they asked him to return

As to Lindsay and MaryAnne's comments about his treatment of them out there:

You and Lindsay started the game pretty tight, then veered off. She said she didn't like the way you talked to her out there. Maryanne mentioned in the finale that you weren't treating the women on the tribe well. What do you make of those comments?

Man, I hate that they felt that way. Because whenever I got a chance to talk about them, I would give them praise. I would say, "You guys are doing great." Lindsay, I would always talk about, "She's such a dominant force to be in these challenges. We got to get her out because she's so good." And that's what I would do is I'd try to build them up and I hate that they... Now they get to see that I was always lifting them up.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

-Also said that no one believed Romeo had an idol

Yeah, I think Romeo's fighting a losing battle on that one 😆

6 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

As to Lindsay and MaryAnne's comments about his treatment of them out there:

You and Lindsay started the game pretty tight, then veered off. She said she didn't like the way you talked to her out there. Maryanne mentioned in the finale that you weren't treating the women on the tribe well. What do you make of those comments?

Man, I hate that they felt that way. Because whenever I got a chance to talk about them, I would give them praise. I would say, "You guys are doing great." Lindsay, I would always talk about, "She's such a dominant force to be in these challenges. We got to get her out because she's so good." And that's what I would do is I'd try to build them up and I hate that they... Now they get to see that I was always lifting them up.

Yeah, he doesn't get it. He thinks that women need his praise and need him to "lift them up." This is just so condescending and patronizing.

• Love 13
41 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

Yeah, he doesn't get it. He thinks that women need his praise and need him to "lift them up." This is just so condescending and patronizing.

Really?  Because I didn’t see Jonathan use the word “need” once in that quote.  
Did Jonathan speak down to folks on occasion?  Sure - but we also saw Jonathan speaking supportively, and neither can be cherry-picked and held up as the 100% summation of the whole.
The boy ain’t nowhere near perfect, but that doesn’t make him evil.

• Love 8
59 minutes ago, Nashville said:
1 hour ago, fishcakes said:

Really?  Because I didn’t see Jonathan use the word “need” once in that quote.  
Did Jonathan speak down to folks on occasion?  Sure - but we also saw Jonathan speaking supportively, and neither can be cherry-picked and held up as the 100% summation of the whole.
The boy ain’t nowhere near perfect, but that doesn’t make him evil.

And I don't see where I used the word "evil" once in that quote.

• Love 3
(edited)

I also think that when people are large and have deep voices, they seem imposing no matter what they say or do.

On the converse, people who are slim or small and have meeker voices rarely seem imposing, no matter what they say or do.

I do believe that sometimes Lindsey and Maryanne annoyed Jonathan and that came across as irritation, but I never thought that he thought he was "better than" them.  Frankly, I too found Lindsey and Maryanne irritating and annoying at times and I can promise if I was on Fiji with them, it would have shown through in what I said every once in awhile.  I'm just not that great of an actor for it to not show through.  I think Jonathan liked them both.  

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 8
48 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

I also think that when people are large and have deep voices, they seem imposing no matter what they say or do.

On the converse, people who are slim or small and have meeker voices rarely seem imposing, no matter what they say or do.

I do believe that sometimes Lindsey and Maryanne annoyed Jonathan and that came across as irritation, but I never thought that he thought he was "better than" them.  Frankly, I too found Lindsey and Maryanne irritating and annoying at times and I can promise if I was on Fiji with them, it would have shown through in what I said every once in awhile.  I'm just not that great of an actor for it to not show through.  I think Jonathan liked them both.  

I'm sure Jonathan has come off as imposing to people in his life because of his size and voice, but I don't think that's the issue here. I certainly don't think Lindsay or Drea found him imposing; they just disliked how he talked down to them. Like Jonathan insisting that Lindsay wasn't listening to him when she was pointing out the flaw in his poorly thought out plan to get Drea out. Or his repeated use of "you're being aggressive" when they were just disagreeing with him. Perhaps he comes from a background where he's not used to women standing up to him, and he found them imposing.

I agree that he generally liked Lindsay and Maryanne, and Drea too, but there's more to treating women well than "praising them and lifting them up", as he says. Now that he's seen their reaction, maybe he'll learn from it.

4 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

I'm sure Jonathan has come off as imposing to people in his life because of his size and voice, but I don't think that's the issue here. I certainly don't think Lindsay or Drea found him imposing; they just disliked how he talked down to them. Like Jonathan insisting that Lindsay wasn't listening to him when she was pointing out the flaw in his poorly thought out plan to get Drea out. Or his repeated use of "you're being aggressive" when they were just disagreeing with him. Perhaps he comes from a background where he's not used to women standing up to him, and he found them imposing.

I agree that he generally liked Lindsay and Maryanne, and Drea too, but there's more to treating women well than "praising them and lifting them up", as he says. Now that he's seen their reaction, maybe he'll learn from it.

I have a suspicion it may be religiously based.    My sister’s religious puts men above women… might be something similar, but that’s just my guess.  

4 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

Doesn't come out and say he would win in the final 3 against MaryAnne and Romeo, but just says he would have done well in the talking part of answering question

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

-Said he started calling Jeff Mr. Jeff (which apparently I missed that part).  Anyway, he said it's a sign of respect he gives people when he starts addressing them by Mr., Mrs., Ma'am, etc

This was the one thing I loved about Jonathan because I imagine it really hurt Jeff lol.

• LOL 5
(edited)

I’m just not going to get on the anti-Jonathan train.  I’m just not.  I perceived things differently with him.  Please do not come after me for this as I wouldn’t come after others for their perceptions.  That is the beauty of PrimeTimer.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 6
31 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

I’m just not going to get on the anti-Jonathan train.  I’m just not.  I perceived things differently with him.  Please do not come after me for this as I wouldn’t come after others for their perceptions.  That is the beauty of PrimeTimer.

I wasn't coming after you and I don't expect anyone who likes Jonathan to get on the anti-Jonathan train. I was just responding to what you said and giving my take on it, which is different from yours. I don't feel like I phrased it as an attack on you, but I'm sorry if it came off that way.

(edited)

Tracyscott76, I didn’t feel like it was you coming after me - it was just a truly general “please let me feel how I feel and don’t come after me”.  

Edited by MerBearHou
56 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

I don't like him as much as I did at the start of the season, but I also don't hate him.  I find him kind of intriguing, because he's nothing like I expected him to be.  I think Jonathan is maybe like an Ozzy type, who does the show more for the challenge rush and survival aspect than actually caring about winning the big money.  I'm going through the other interviews now, but in the EW interview at least he's a man of few words.  Whereas other castaways have paragraphs dedicated to their responses, Jonathan sums his up in a few sentences.  When the castaways were doing their word associations, I thought it was weird that everyone pretty much just referenced his size over anything else (except for the person who called him overrated, I think Chanelle maybe?)  

Two things I did enjoy last night: when Lindsay was trying to argue with him about not letting her in on the Omar vote because they were in an alliance, and he just kept responding 'you wrote my name down, you voted for me'.  Also when Omar couldn't come up with an animal to describe Mike, and Jonathan chimed in with grizzly bear and Probst told him to let Omar have this moment.  That whole thing was kind of funny anyway.

• Love 2

One of the many things I miss by not having Ponderosa this season is finding out how much weight they lost. Have any of the post game interviews said how much weight Jonathan lost?

(edited)
8 hours ago, DEL901 said:

I have a suspicion it may be religiously based.    My sister’s religious puts men above women… might be something similar, but that’s just my guess.  

I dated a guy once who was brought up having a set of beliefs about the roles of men and women.  If you didn't know him, it would likely come across as condescending or sexist.  Like, he felt he should be the one working and his wife should be at home taking care of the house and kids.  But it was more that he felt, being the man, it was his responsibility to provide, and that his wife should have the luxury of staying home and only working if she wants to.  I mean, this is going to sounds nuts but he actually would drive me crazy wanting to pay for things all the time so I could save my money or would want to help me if I was struggling financially.  I was raised to be more independent and to stand on my own two feet.  I'm not above asking for help or accepting it, but it caused problems in the relationship.  He really was a well meaning guy, but I just wasn't the kind of girl for him.  

I don't know if that's the case with Jonathan.  Given what Jonathan said in his personal story package this season about the dynamics with his dad, I think he might get some of his attitude there.  I just don't think he's a bad guy overall.  Maybe in a competitive environment where he feels this is his element and others don't compare.  I'd like to see what he's like in real life.  

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 3