Type keyword(s) to search

College Basketball

xaxat
  • Start Topic

Villanova played Georgetown tough twice during the regular season that year and they had three guys that went on to the NBA.  I still remember as a high school sophomore shooting hoops after school that day talking about whether 'Nova had a chance and a couple of us thought they did.  Massimino coached a near perfect game as well.

At one point in the broadcast, they mentioned one expert before the Memphis State game had stated that St. John couldn’t beat Georgetown, but Villanova could.  In the documentary they said Villanova was hoping Georgetown would beat St. John because they couldn’t beat St. John.

• Useful 1

I don't admire many public individuals because, unless you actually know someone, you don't actually know them.

John Thompson is one of the exceptions.  Because of a variety of circumstances (MLB was mostly regional, the NBA had awful TV contracts etc.) I consider him to be the first high profile Black coach in the US. Which is a huge thing on its own. Not only was he a great coach, he cared for his kids. No matter how much crap the media threw at the team because they were Black kids attending a premier private college. He fought against Prop 48, knowing that the inclusion of standardized test scores were biased against those from poor neighborhoods. He was unapologeticly political when it came to protecting his kids and the program. And as a Black high schooler, I loved the fact that he didn't give a shit about the media criticism. 

This one hurts.

• Love 8

Hope Coach Izzo will be okay.  Man, I'd love to things to be back to normal soon.  That's not going to happen, but maybe a spot between the old and the new.  In other words, a resemblance of the old with some of the new as we hopefully trend toward the end.

ESPN hasn't had their 24-hour tourney in quite a while, but man do I miss those as much as I miss College hoops.  Thinking that the season should've been kicking off tonight after MNF into tomorrow.  I guess I would've been pissed since the year will get shuffled thanks to the pandemic

• Love 1

Wichita State head coach Gregg Marshall is accused of

1) punching a player

2) putting his hands around a staffer's neck

3)having a history of racist remarks

So what did Wichita State do? Did they fire him for cause and dare him to sue? Nope, they paid him $7.75 million to go away. And it looks like the reason they finally let him go was because his reputation was so bad, eight players decided to transfer.

I forgot to mention this story last week when I heard it.  IMO, Gregg Marshall probably would've taken WSA down with him since there may (or may not) be info that will tarnish that school.

Well, in some capacity, I can start talking about the games, as they return on Turkey Eve.  While I haven't done much on the day before Thanksgiving in a couple of years, and wasn't this year even before my state's leaders nixed any festivities, I would have passed on heading out to party during the slate of college hoops games.  Still miss the 24-hour marathon but I love the start of the sport almost as much as I love the end of it!

Ok.  If you like Duke, you are nodding along to what Coach K said and saying “yep, that makes total sense” and if you don’t, you are saying “loser whiner.”

But that Alabama coach is a jackass.  First, keep five national titles and a Hall of Fame career out of your mouth.  Why are you even judging how he feels about HIS team?  Second, Duke had THREE teams postpone due to COVID.  Third, Jim Boeheim said the same damn thing after a game, and his team won (I know that was because of a COVID outbreak at ‘Cuse, but still).

Fourth, the things Oats said in his interview were so irresponsible.  “I’ve already had it so I don’t need to wear a mask”?  “These kids just need to play”?  Yeah, they also need to stay safe and you are in charge of that, renob.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

Ok.  If you like Duke, you are nodding along to what Coach K said and saying “yep, that makes total sense” and if you don’t, you are saying “loser whiner.”

Sure, but that's because Duke isn't an overwhelming favorite this year.  If they were a powerhouse then a lot of Duke fans would say full speed ahead, Covid be damned.  Just like how if they were allowed to they'd pack Cameron to the brim for every game

What happened in Florida was very scary, to watch the Gator player pass out like that.  And the teammates around him seemed terrified.  I wish the best for Keyontae in his recovery.

And Leonard Hamilton showed class, which was not in any way surprising.

Snerk.  Nate Oats walked back his comments and apologized to Coach K.

I actually didn’t have as much issue with what he said about Coach K than his irresponsible statements about COVID.

Also that reporter who actually answered Oats’s dumb question absolutely should not have done that.

I was wondering if the Duke women cancelling the season would have a ripple effect, but the entire Ivy League cancelling didn’t, so I guess we’ll wait and see.

I know Jim Boeheim is adamant about playing, but circumstances are keeping his team from doing that.

4 hours ago, mojoween said:

I was wondering if the Duke women cancelling the season would have a ripple effect, but the entire Ivy League cancelling didn’t, so I guess we’ll wait and see.

I know Jim Boeheim is adamant about playing, but circumstances are keeping his team from doing that.

With all due respect to the Duke women and Ivy League you need a lot more prestige/$$$ to get that.  Let's face it, everyone has already drawn their lines about sports.  Either you want to punch your screen every time you see someone wearing a mask incorrectly/not wearing it at all, or it's full speed ahead.  Unless a lot of players start heading to the hospital for extended periods they'll keep it going.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Dan Shulman and Jay Bilas made SUCH a big deal of Duke driving an hour back to Durham the last two nights because they had a hotel to stay in at home even though there was a positive COVID issue with the football team...and now Duke can’t play today because of a positive COVID on the basketball team.  What.  The everloving. FUCK.

Man, I didn't even get a chance to "make a joke" out of the chance that Duke would miss out on the NCAA Tournament following an ACC finals loss courtesy of a buzzer-beater!

That aside, I already made my comments about the chances of teams dealing with a positive test within the one's organization and the precautions necessary to best avoid it.  Obviously it's a little different (maybe more difficult) for College Basketball compared to the NFL, but there are more responsible people, if not, more prominent folks to make the best decisions than yours truly.  Or not, but nothing's my call.

It will suck if and when Duke is left out this year.  Same goes for everyone else as it relates to COVID and the pandemic.  That's a tough way to end a season, whether you had a shot or not.  Overall, the NCAA is in a better spot than a year ago, and like everything else, nothing is guaranteed.  While people knew that it was a possibility, people did make sacrifices to pursue a title, so it'll sting a little.  

As for Duke, we'll never know if they would've made it, but I don't think they would've gotten past Florida State anyway, let alone whomever they would've faced on Friday or Saturday.

FWIW, despite my so-called "joke" as mentioned, no way the committee would've left out Duke under that scenario.  I think they definitely get in with a Finals loss within a possession.  Heck, they might've gotten the nod if they had been blown out in a Championship Game!

Each I look forward to March Madness, and this year it's just so sad to see these kids playing in almost empty arenas due to the pandemic.  I haven't even been following who the top teams are this year.  I'll probably watch the championship game, but that's it. 

I'll look forward to next season.

Events of the last few days have me wondering which fan base will have a more creative reception for Bo Borowski next year - MSU Spartans at the Breslin Center or Wisconsin Badgers at the Kohl Center?  

Is it definite that Duke's season is done?  Has Coach K asked the president to declare a National Day of Mourning?

I understand why the players want to participate in the tournament, but it sounds like it is going to be a miserable experience outside of the actual games. Basically they will be limited to their hotel room, the ballroom/dining hall and practice/game facilities for their entire run.

It's like the NBA bubble without the Disneyworld resort fun.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Calvada said:

Is it definite that Duke's season is done?  Has Coach K asked the president to declare a National Day of Mourning?

Yeah, they're done.  At first, I figured that when the AD said that their season will be over effective immediately, they were assuming that there was no chance the committee would put them into the dance given their rare struggles coupled with a lot of what ifs.  However, it turns out that Duke took themselves out of any future games for the remainder of the 2020-2021 season.  Basically an opt-out.  FWIW, Duke's women's team didn't play at all this year.

Caught the news about Virginia before I wanted to find out.  At this rate, it looks like tonight's game with North Carolina / Florida State is on pace to be "real" ACC Conference Final.  Though it would be unique if Georgia Tech had a positive test a day after doing nothing

ETA: Now ESPN reporting that Kansas vs Texas Big 12 tourney game has been cancelled.  Not sure the official reason, as I had the TV on mute and nothing was mentioned on the Internet when I saw it.  I guess it's yet another positive result.  Or it could be none of that, but just a precaution since Kansas (and maybe Texas) doesn't (don't) need the Big 12 tournament to get into the NCAA Tournament

Edited by Carey
Big 12 Breaking News

I was able to get out of work early, so I'm watching Ohio State/Purdue at the Big Ten tournament - currently in OT.  As Purdue was going for the tie with seconds left, the announcer excitedly says "Everyone in the building is standing!"   So all 217 people on their feet, good to know.  

6 hours ago, xaxat said:

I understand why the players want to participate in the tournament, but it sounds like it is going to be a miserable experience outside of the actual games. Basically they will be limited to their hotel room, the ballroom/dining hall and practice/game facilities for their entire run.

It's like the NBA bubble without the Disneyworld resort fun.

The Big Ten teams are in Indy right now for the conference tourney and those playing in the NCAA tournament will just stay there.  A bonus week in Indiana - woo hoo!

Edited by Calvada
54 minutes ago, mojoween said:

An ad yesterday said that The First Four starts Thursday and WTF.  So the first day of the field of 64 is on Saturday?  Why, exactly?

Giving teams more time to show negative covid tests and qualify.  

On 3/12/2021 at 10:45 PM, Silver Raven said:

Michigan State's basketball team is now officially "MSU Spartans Presented by Rocket Mortgage."

The worst part about this is how the ncaa insists 'student athletes' can't sell their name and likeness for money while in school, yet this move is exactly what the schools are doing on behalf of the players.  Yet taking all the money.  

This could end up backfiring for the ncaa, being the final straw where the athletes so fuck this to this horrible double standard. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, DrSpaceman73 said:
56 minutes ago, mojoween said:

An ad yesterday said that The First Four starts Thursday and WTF.  So the first day of the field of 64 is on Saturday?  Why, exactly?

Giving teams more time to show negative covid tests and qualify.  

The first round (field of 64) actually starts on Friday.  So basically those that turn the dance into an annual 4 day weekend for college hoops from Thursday - Sunday might consider doing a more traditional Friday - Monday 4-day weekend

Really happy that Georgetown won the Big East tournament and made the dance. Hopefully this is not a fluke and Ewing can restore the program. The Thompson/Ewing Hoyas were one of the most important teams in US sports history. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

To hell with Michigan State.  One of those first four out had more of a case.

Izzo and Boeheim wuz gifted. 

Syracuse definitely got gifted.  That's for sure, and after Boeheim's comments on disrespecting short people, the committee had fuel to rob the Orange of a tourney bid.  I guess they've messed with them so many times in the past that they decided to give them a pass.  It also helped that Duke bowed out.  OTOH, if the Cuse had to play a first four game, that would've been okay.  People would still get mad but they'd still have to do more in order to make it to the meaningful field of 64.

Michigan State?  Meh.  I think they defeated 3 of the four top teams this year, and they actually are playing in the First Four.  That's fair enough.  However, against UCLA?  Wow!