Type keyword(s) to search

College Basketball

xaxat
  • Start Topic

That was pretty interesting. The Duke student section raises both their arms when one of their players is attempting a free throw. Dropping their arms after a make.

Tonight, there was a shot of the section, and there was a guy who had one arm up, palm out, in what really looked like a Nazi salute.

4 hours ago, mojoween said:

Apparently Joe Lunardi’s bracketology has the Last Four In, the First Four Out...and the NEXT Four Out. 

Stop.

You know who the next four out are?  NIT invitees.

So, do the NIT champs chant We're Number 69?

• LOL 5
11 minutes ago, mojoween said:

It is SURREAL watching the Syracuse game just going on knowing everything else that is happening right now.

That's the last game in the ACC tournament that will be played with fans.

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

Nebraska allowing Fred Hoiberg to coach when he looked like that...Christ.  If he has COVID, then that most likely is the end of the tourneys for this year.

He has Ifluenza A.

But still, who - including himself - thought it was a good idea to coach, let alone show up at the arena at all, with the prevention actions already taking place due to the C-19 scare?!   He already has a pre-existing heart condition to begin with but decided to coach a game that his 7-23 team had 99% chance of losing anyways.

And now possibly has ended the BTT for everyone else because of his reckless, stupid and selfish decision.

Just completely idiotic all the way around.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I feel sorry for the kids not playing, but it's necessary.

Me too..especially those kids who might not play on this kind of stage again. I feel for those seniors that will not play in the pros and their seasons end like this. But there was no other choice.

• Love 5

I really really really hope the NCAA does not release a bracket.  There was a LOT of hoops left to be played before Selection Sunday and things could have, and would have changed.  What’s the point of having conference tourneys then?

• Love 2

Florida State is self appointing themselves the 2020 National Champions (well, the Florida senate is, anyway).  Ummmmm, OK?

If anything, shouldn’t the #1 team obtain this title?   I guess they should do a final vote and roll with that?  Or, just no champion which is what I assumed would be the case when they cancelled the tourney.  

• Love 3
20 hours ago, geauxaway said:

Florida State is self appointing themselves the 2020 National Champions (well, the Florida senate is, anyway).  Ummmmm, OK?

Even in the (possible) end times, Florida's gotta be Florida. It's almost comforting.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

CBS is showing classic tourney games and obvs I am watching Duke/Kentucky from 1992.

I remember where I watched this game - my boyfriend’s down room.  I was nearly in tears when I thought all was lost.

But watching now?  So verklempt.  Verne Lundquist and Len Elmore.  No scorebug.  The Philadelphia Spectrum with the original logo.  Grant Hill.  THE PASS.

I ran across the classic games today being replayed just at random, turned to one, I think it was UNC -Georgetown, and.........

IT WAS BEING PREEMPTED BY A CORONAVIRUS PRESS CONFERENCE FROM PENCE AND TRUMP!!!

Jesus Christ, just can't win. 

• Love 2

I'd love to see that Villanova-Georgetown championship game again.  Georgetown was the heavy favorite and before the game I remember some sportscasters calling Villanova, "Villanochance."  I shouted with glee when they won.  

Memphis/Kansas is on now.  Wasn’t this vacated?*

I totally forgot Derrick Rose went to Memphis.  He looks SO young.

And I hopefully am not the only one who hears Stephen A. Smith via SNL whenever Mario Chalmers touches the ball?

*never mind...I forgot that when I watched this it was the one and only time I rooted for Kansas.  

Edited by mojoween
6 hours ago, mojoween said:

Memphis/Kansas is on now.  Wasn’t this vacated?*

Memphis' season was vacated (because Derrick Rose didn't take his own SAT). So this game never took place but Kansas is still the national champion from that year. 

They also showed last year's national championship game (Virginia-Texas Tech) and the one from 2016 (UNC-Villanova).

• Love 1

According to my Facebook memories seven years ago on this date that Louisville player (Kevin...???) broke his leg and I know that I have never seen anything so gruesome happen as it happened.  I hope he is doing well in whatever he is doing with his life.

On 3/21/2020 at 10:10 PM, Ohwell said:

I'd love to see that Villanova-Georgetown championship game again.  Georgetown was the heavy favorite and before the game I remember some sportscasters calling Villanova, "Villanochance."  I shouted with glee when they won.  

I quoted myself because today is the 35th anniversary of the 'Nova-G'town game and I'm bummed and pissed that ESPN isn't showing it today since they're showing other old games.  Greeny had a brief discussion with Jay Wright this morning, but that was it.

13 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I quoted myself because today is the 35th anniversary of the 'Nova-G'town game and I'm bummed and pissed that ESPN isn't showing it today since they're showing other old games. 

I think CBS is probably keeping that one for their Sunday championship replays.

It looks like you might be able to watch the game on YouTube.  I just watched an interesting documentary about it on YouTube called "The Perfect Upset."  I remember watching that game on television and being so excited when Villanova won.

Sweet fact I learned on Wikipedia so I hope it's true:  Rolle got to see the 2016 Nova championship, but had been diagnosed with terminal cancer that same month.  He died in August of 2017, and Nova wore 1985-esque throwback uniforms all 2017-18 season in his honor, and then they won the championship again.

• Love 1

Thanks, I'll look for it on YouTube.  The reason that game was so special to me was because the sports guys gave Villanova no chance (hence, "Villanochance").  So even though I lived in DC at the time and should have been rooting for Georgetown, I was hoping 'Nova would win just to see the looks on the sportscasters' faces the next day.

The night of the game, I was sick as a dog in bed with the flu.  I lived in an apartment with thin walls and the guy next door kept yelling LOUDLY just about every time Georgetown scored.  I politely asked him through the wall to tone it down a bit because I was sick and had a headache.  He kept yelling, even louder.   So, when Villanova won I yelled YAAAAYYYY!!!! as loudly as my sick ass could.  I heard crickets next door. 😈

• Love 3

Must be a thing! When SU won in 03 I was dead sick with bronchitis.  I had slept the whole day and nearly passed out when Warrick blocked that last shot.

Yes, I am a Duke fan number one, but I’ve lived in Syracuse my entire life and have loathed Kansas since 88 because at that time, I loved Mookie Blaylock.

Also, I never liked Roy Williams and him stealing Boeheim’s thunder by bouncing for UNC right after the game will always piss me off.

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Must be a thing!

Yup, it's a thing.

I had the flu during the '88 Final Four. I couldn't muster enough energy to actually watch the semi-final game. I just had it on as background noise as I lay in bed. At one point I hear a loud KA-CHUNK! I turned toward the TV in time to see a replay of Sean Elliot throwing down a massive dunk.

Then I passed out again.

• Love 2
(edited)
On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 9:07 PM, mojoween said:

Must be a thing! When SU won in 03 I was dead sick with bronchitis.  I had slept the whole day and nearly passed out when Warrick blocked that last shot.

Yes, I am a Duke fan number one, but I’ve lived in Syracuse my entire life and have loathed Kansas since 88 because at that time, I loved Mookie Blaylock.

Also, I never liked Roy Williams and him stealing Boeheim’s thunder by bouncing for UNC right after the game will always piss me off.

So why are you a Duke fan if you have lived in Syracuse your whole life? 

And are you a Pats fan too? 

I think I have to drop this due to forum rules and where I am tempted to go with this but.........yeah, everyone can finish my thought I think

Edited by DrSpaceman73
5 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

And are you a Pats fan too? 

That’s the meanest thing anyone has ever said to me.

I’m a Duke fan because 14 year old girls sometimes make strange choices.  Cuse was my team until I saw Quin Snyder at Duke when he was around a junior, and then I just kept rooting.

I cried in 87 when Keith Smart hit that jumper and cried a whole lot in 1990 (and felt extreme dislike for Nolan Richardson in 94).

4 hours ago, mojoween said:

That’s the meanest thing anyone has ever said to me.

I’m a Duke fan because 14 year old girls sometimes make strange choices.  Cuse was my team until I saw Quin Snyder at Duke when he was around a junior, and then I just kept rooting.

I cried in 87 when Keith Smart hit that jumper and cried a whole lot in 1990 (and felt extreme dislike for Nolan Richardson in 94).

I apologize, mixing you up with someone else about the Pats.  But that's a relief, really.  If you were a Pats and Duke fan, I just would have had to put you on "ignore" from now on.

Still out of all the great players that have gone through Duke, Quin Synder is the one that turned you into a fan?  Never would have guessed that

I was just watching the replay of the end of that Indiana Syracuse title game.  One of the great memories of my childhood.  I had forgotten Derrick Coleman really clanked the front end of that one on one before Keith Smart won the game for Indiana. 

There is still a small picture I cut out of the newspaper of Quin Snyder taped to the wall of my old room at my parents house.

They are announcing the Naismith Award winners today and if Sabrina Ionescu is not the winner for the women I will eat this phone.

• Love 1

We don’t have CBS sports network, but I was able to watch it on YouTube.  I had forgotten how close and exciting the game was. The documentary I had watched talked about how Georgetown’s reputation for dirty play was seeped in racism.  While I don’t in anyway deny they were victims of racism, Ewing in particular, watching the game reminded me that the reputation was partly justified as well.

• Love 2

I always felt that the coach, John Thompson, promoted the "thug" mentality which was attributed to his players by a lot of people.  It led to them having a reputation of being dirty players and thuggish.  Also, those grey uniforms didn't help because they looked like prison basketball garb.   

Regarding the racism, I used to feel really bad for Ewing, in particular.  He went through hell. 

• Love 2