Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Friends in Low Places

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Oh wow, I would have been shitting bricks if I was in that credit card situation in Morocco.  It was stupid of Rachel to go on the tour without confirming the cost beforehand, even stupider to go into the city without any kind of currency.

Kacy must have felt so lucky to leave Morocco when she did, especially after the real feelings of Rachel came out during her rant at dinner.
I'm glad she had some sense to question if she'll ever get her money back for the ticket.

The suicide threat from Anna was really low.  I'm glad Kacy cut her off when she came back the second time.

• Love 9

Up until now I thought this show was really throwing shade on Rachel, but this episode seemed to even things out a lot. Obviously Neff is still blaming Rachel and not Anna, but that's realistic. Sometimes it can take years for someone to stop believing the lies of a malignant narcissist, despite what everyone around them is saying. 

• Love 9
On 2/13/2022 at 10:49 PM, Melina22 said:

Up until now I thought this show was really throwing shade on Rachel, but this episode seemed to even things out a lot. Obviously Neff is still blaming Rachel and not Anna, but that's realistic. Sometimes it can take years for someone to stop believing the lies of a malignant narcissist, despite what everyone around them is saying. 

Yeah, I liked that by the end Rachel was helping Kacy to not back down to Anna, and Kacy realized Rachel could be a good friend - that was nice! 

This actually was the best episode for me, so far.   The show ratcheted up the tension in the scenes and let it build, and Kacy, Rachel, and Noah actually seemed like relatable, imperfect but basically good people who were actually put at serious risk by Anna's actions.  I hope Kacy made up with her boyfriend after Anna ruined their night.  And yikes for Rachel - not only is she in serious debt now, she has to explain to her employer why the business card got charged!

I get why Neff feels like Anna is just being misunderstood -- after all, Anna magically paid the hotel bill and repaid Neff.  (Would be nice if the series ever explained how she got the money for that!)

I absolutely loved Kacy's apartment.  

• Love 8
9 hours ago, SlovakPrincess said:

Yeah, I liked that by the end Rachel was helping Kacy to not back down to Anna, and Kacy realized Rachel could be a good friend - that was nice! 

This actually was the best episode for me, so far.   The show ratcheted up the tension in the scenes and let it build, and Kacy, Rachel, and Noah actually seemed like relatable, imperfect but basically good people who were actually put at serious risk by Anna's actions.  I hope Kacy made up with her boyfriend after Anna ruined their night.  And yikes for Rachel - not only is she in serious debt now, she has to explain to her employer why the business card got charged!

I get why Neff feels like Anna is just being misunderstood -- after all, Anna magically paid the hotel bill and repaid Neff.  (Would be nice if the series ever explained how she got the money for that!)

I absolutely loved Kacy's apartment.  

I was thinking she paid the hotel bill plus all the $100 tips from the $200k loan/deposit she got. I don't really care for Neff, she seems very judgy. But I do get from her point of view since Anna was able to pay the hotel bill, that she would have been able to pay the Morocco bill and that Rachel overreacted. Neff also said that Rachel offered to pay. Well yes, she did offer up her card but she really had no choice. Anna was clearly stalling and not looking up from her phone and not offering any solutions.  

• Love 7

The main thing I question about this episode is why Kacy left.  I've had food poisoning while on vacation.  The last thing I would have wanted to do was travel, let alone get on a ten hour flight. It was all I could do to simply make it from the bed to the bathroom in the hotel room.  

• Love 15

Some questions.

1) I too wondered about flying home while sick. If I fell ill overseas then - and I did once go to anaphylactic shock in Ireland- I am seeing a doctor not going to an airport. That must be fiction. She’d have been recuperating in her room.

2) so rachel was planning the trip and talking about suites while NEVER it ending to pay her own share? That confused me. I can see why Neff would side eye her.

3) $2000 for a house tour?

4) did not understand why rachel was attacking kacy at dinner at all. 

It really sucks when you realize you've been freeloading on a con artist. So I agree Rachel doesn't deserve that much sympathy, but it's just sheer luck that Neff wasn't screwed by Anna in the same way, that infusion of cash for the NY hotel v. no rescue in Morocco. And Rachel's VF connection paid off in the end, even though apparently her book was terrible. I hate always blaming the victims of Cons, but it's so hard to understand the lures and the complete blindness to red flags.

• Love 5
On 2/20/2022 at 11:03 PM, lucindabelle said:

so rachel was planning the trip and talking about suites while NEVER it ending to pay her own share? That confused me. I can see why Neff would side eye her.

Neff wasn't exactly paying for things either so she can get off her high horse. I hated her about as much as I hated Vivian.

• Love 9
On 2/22/2022 at 10:31 AM, peachmangosteen said:

Neff wasn't exactly paying for things either so she can get off her high horse. I hated her about as much as I hated Vivian.

And even IF the expectation was that Rachel would pay her share, that's around $15,000 (60k/4). Rachel didn't hire the videographer, and Rachel wouldn't have hired Kacy to come train them. Even if you argue that she was partaking of Kacy's services and therefore should split her share, that bumps the amount Rachel was on the hook for to around $23,000. 

In no universe does Rachel owe the full amount for the trip EVEN IF the expectation was that there would be some splitting of the costs. That's the part that blows my mind. Rachel's "share" of the trip is still less than 60k no matter what! 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Rachel said in her book when she got stuck with the cost of the tickets, hotel, meals, side trips and the clothes that she had no money to pay for these things,  no savings. It was an extremely naive of her to trust a woman that she knew very little about to fund this trip for her.  Even if her share was $23,000 that's a pretty expensive trip for a young woman with no savings and earing a salary of less than 60K.

I checked the book out of the library yesterday and finished it last night. A big part of the book is Rachel and Anna texting back and forth about the money very boring.  I laughed when she went to see an attorney about being scammed and he asked if if she learned her lesson or did she want to pay for his son's medical school. It is almost unbelievable that someone could be that dumb to be taken for that much money over a course of a few months. 

• Love 3

Not unique to this episode, but when Anna changed her style to more glamorous and dyed her hair red, I've been wondering why they decided to put the actress in wigs rather than just dye her hair.  It looks awful.

On 2/18/2022 at 12:57 PM, ichbin said:

The main thing I question about this episode is why Kacy left.  I've had food poisoning while on vacation.  The last thing I would have wanted to do was travel, let alone get on a ten hour flight. 

Yes, when Kacy's voiceover said she had been sick in bed for 6 days when she got home, I wondered how on earth she got home in the first place if she was that sick!

• Love 2
On 3/13/2022 at 9:42 PM, LuvMyShows said:

Not unique to this episode, but when Anna changed her style to more glamorous and dyed her hair red, I've been wondering why they decided to put the actress in wigs rather than just dye her hair.  It looks awful.

Yes, when Kacy's voiceover said she had been sick in bed for 6 days when she got home, I wondered how on earth she got home in the first place if she was that sick!

Julia Garner has short, very curly hair in real life. She has to wear a wig to look like Anna.

• Love 2