Type keyword(s) to search

RuPaul's Drag Race UK vs. The World

• Start Topic

Anyone else watching?  Loved the premiere last night.

Pangina Heals is remarkable and now I have to go watch her judge Drag Race Thailand.

Jimbo is still weird AF.  And did he throw the lip sync?

Janey Jacke is beautiful.

Baga, Mo Heart and Jujubee were forgettable.

This has the possibility of being amazing.

• Like 2
  • Love 6

Yes it was a fun ride. 

Jimbo and Blu were my top 2. And I would have put Janey and Jujubee in the bottom. Yes Janey is gorgeous though, and she should do well next week in the design challenge. I thought Lemon was fine enough to be safe. 

I don't think Jimbo threw the lipsync - I think it was just difficult to move in that outfit and the makeup hid his facial expressions. But yes Jimbo is something else. Loved him since that photoshoot on CDR Ep.1 

Pangina is a powerhouse though and will be hard for anyone to beat in a lipsync.

Overall a fun group of queens and a great start.

Oh and here's more Jimbo if you haven't seen:

Edited by Wonderlad71
  • Love 3

For me Cheryl Hole and Jujubee are the weakest overall.  But Jujubee  can turn it, so who knows.

I love this series because there are no filler queens.

It will be interesting to see if the queens form alliances.

Pangina is amazing! My top pick, for sure. I will go and watch the Thailand show finally too (I know, I hear it's so good). Jimbo was fantastic although his performance piece was pretty bonkers. But honestly, I think he should've been in the top just for sitting there and bopping along to all the other queens' songs in that look. It was hysterical. But he's really polished his look and become truly, truly weird. Like the spiritual heir to Leigh Bowery or something.

The disappointment for me is Baga. She's trying too hard and the reason we all loved her first time around was how naturally she rose to every occasion. Now she's fully immersed in being self-referential and being That Star. Girl, you don't need to do that. Just be you, man. We loved you.

Blu and Cheryl don't seem like they've changed at all, tbh. But they were both very entertaining queens, and they've remained entertaining. However, much like Baga, Cheryl needs to stop with the whole "I'm mediocre!" She still kinda is, sure, but she needs to present like she is a winner, baby.

Jujubee was fine. I mainly want her around for her confessionals anyway. Although even those could be stepped up. I want more, y'all.

Mo Heart always had a little diva in her, and she's totally running with it, America. And I'm okay with that. We need some shadiness, and the American queens have become a little too nice on their own franchise. Go deep, Mo! Didn't really love her performance, but it was fine. The outfits are definitely a step up, particularly the runway ensemble.

I haven't watched the Holland seasons, and I will eventually, but Janey is behind Pangina for research priorities, sorry, girl. I wish a Down Under queen had made it on. Elektra or Art Simone in this mix would've been very fun. Or Anita Wiglet!

That leaves poor Lemon. She was a solid pick for the cast and did fine in her performance, but she didn't light me on fire either. Just kinda okay. I would've liked to have seen more of the passive-aggressive thing Jimbo has going on toward Lemon because I'm a messy bitch who lives for drama, but she was my least fave of the queens I knew when this was announced, and nothing really changed in this episode. Sorry, Lemon. You're talented, pretty, and young. You'll be fine!

• Love 4

I definitely love this format and think there are a lot of great queens from the different franchises. 

I hope they do this again, hosted by the Down Under franchise.  I'd like to see Anita & Elektra.  Art Simone can be the third from the host countries. I'd love to see more of Ellie Diamond and Tace from UKDR2.  Bimini is too big now.  Canada could send Pythia and Adriana.

From the US I'd pick Katya, Shangela and Alyssa Edwards.

I agree on Baga being the most disappointing.  She came in as my favorite and after one episode she is no longer interesting.  

Pangina is my queen.

• Love 2

I had to rewatch the sections where Jimbo was bopping away to the other contestants' songs. Really good energy, and that mad act and then the runway look were so good. Excited to see where the season goes now.

Pangina is lovely! So glad she had the win. The Thailand series gets pretty screechy, but some of the looks are so divine, and they are really inventive and endearing queens.

I was expecting Bimini, I don't know why now. Instead, Cheryl Hole... I would have rathered Lemon stay, and Cheryl and Janey fight it out in the bottom two, or even Jujubee. But Jujubee needs to stick around for the commentary alone. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I love Drag Race Thailand, so I was looking forward to Pangina, and so happy that she turned it!  That was such a tight lipsync she delivered too!  Jimbo (who I like) wasn't doing very much during the lipsync--and she could have changed into a different outfit like Pangina did so that's not much of an excuse.  I was really glad Janey stayed so I can see more from her, and definitely think she's more interesting then Lemon.  Overall, this was a great beginning! 

• Love 1
On 2/4/2022 at 6:10 AM, violet and green said:

I was expecting Bimini, I don't know why now. 

This was filmed while UK season 2 was airing ( so also before Down Under / Espana/ Italia etc.) . Apparently Asstina Mandela was asked (being a popular early out) but had to drop out due to personal reasons ( a death in the family IIRC). 

Edited by Wonderlad71
  • Love 1

So, maybe it was just editing, but it seemed like the judges were genuinely shocked Janey cut Cheryl, not Jujubee. I love Jujubee with all my heart, but she couldn't even be bothered to put on a basic pair of cat ears for her first look. That was the BARE MINIMUM for a kitty girl look, and she couldn't even do that. Get on that good Juju quickly, girl, because your time does seem limited.

Jimbo is a never-ending delight even with his supremely huge ego. He walks such a fine line between obnoxious and genius, and I'm into all of it. Pretty good showing for Canada anyway. Still, if Pangina doesn't win, I'll be really shocked. Unless she's beaten by Jimbo.

That said, not only did Monique have great advice for Janey, her butch queen look might be the greatest thing she's ever worn. I loved it so hard. It was perfection, and also nice to see the gospel queen get a little dirty.

And finally it was kinda shady Baga was safe, but at least she's toned herself down a little from "catchphrase Baga" more toward "Baga OG recipe," who is a delight. I hope that trend continues. Because I do love her and I want her to remain authentically charming and on this show for a while.

• Love 5

Meh, I know it most seasons production must have their favorites early and I'm sure it's a business decision who wins, however, this seems more fixed and "rigga morris" than usual. 

There's no way Bagga did that dress by herself, I know they tried to play it like Pangina helped but to me it was way more than that, whether Bagga got extra help from production or she was given more time. 

I think Janey's really cute but no way she deserved to be top 2, you cannot tell me RuPaul would wear that leotard. I think she got picked over Monique because there was a slight chance Janey would've voted for Juju to leave instead of Cheryl. 

I know Michelle is "honest" and is "trying to help" but her comment that Jimbo looked like a "cheap RuPaul" was unnecessarily mean, after all, they ALL looked cheap, don't know why she had to save that insult for Jimbo, but I'm glad he played it perfectly and got RuPaul to laugh. 

Jimbo is a diva but she has the goods to back it up, unlike Bagga. 

• Love 2

What on earth is up with Juju? She seriously could not give a fuck. Then when she was called out for it, she looked surprised and really didn't have much to say. Her spark is missing.

Jimbo is killing it, but I hope sassing back and trying to out-laugh Ru doesn't go from fun and playful to Ru being over it.  

Edited by TVbitch
  • Love 4

I read elsewhere that Jujubee is required to compete (meaning it is in her original contract) and since there is no cash prize and even a win won't bump her fame much, that Jujubee may have decided not to invest in a typical AllStars wardrobe.

This makes sense to me.  I expect Jujubee to dial up performance, but not runway.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

The bottom 2 was clear from the first looks they trotted out; Juju's was bland/basic, and Cheryl's cheap, flimsy bow tacked onto her outfit said it all.   I was on board with Juju going home; she has been on too many seasons to get away with phoning it in, especially next to showstoppers like Pangina (loved her kitty!) and Jimbo.  Jimbo however cannot turn a lipsync so I think there's no danger of her winning this whole thing, which is good because I'm 100% team Pangina. 

Edited by Glade
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Ms.Lulu said:

I read elsewhere that Jujubee is required to compete (meaning it is in her original contract) and since there is no cash prize and even a win won't bump her fame much, that Jujubee may have decided not to invest in a typical AllStars wardrobe.

This makes sense to me.  I expect Jujubee to dial up performance, but not runway.

I wonder if she just invested in fewer looks, and is saving the good stuff for later. It would make sense to use any basic looks early, as they're more likely to get you a boot later on. I don't think it makes much difference for her career whether she goes home early or late, but even so she might be being strategic both in how much to invest in looks, and when to use them. 

Not to be unkind because Jujubee is a longtime fave for me, but "basic" has always been her wheelhouse. It works with the realness persona she seems to favor, but rarely does she elevate her look into pure "feel the fantasy" drag. So it's very optimistic to assume she's been getting her basic looks out of the way now and saving the good stuff for later, but it's also not entirely consistent with her wardrobe history.

(Sorry, Jujubee! I love you!)

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

This is why the All-Stars format is pure bullshit. Do I blame Pangina for choosing Juju, who she obviously has a lot of love for, over Jimbo, who was shady in her lipstick proceedings? No. Has it taken 75% of the joy, entertainment, and suspense out of the rest of the season now? YES.

AS4 was ruined when Manila left (and I'll never forgive Naomi for it), and while UKvTW has more powerhouses to show, including Pangina and Blu, Jimbo was top 2 and deserved to be in the final. Now we're only 3 episodes in and because of the awful formula, we're stuck with pod Juju's $5 outfits and Baga's nonsense safe placements instead of incredible runways and insanity and iconic comedy performances from Jimbo. Thanks, Ru. Awesome.

• Like 1
  • Love 8

I mean, as a whole I thought UK's first season was sort of weak (except for the Vivienne and Divina) so I'm not surprised the UK team isn't faring as well. 

I'm sorry, I do feel some sort of way that Pangina voted for Jimbo just because Pangina has been selling the idea that she'd vote fairly, and while Jimbo was certainly shady there's no way in hell she deserved to go home before Juju. Also, yes I'm pissed Pangina voted for Lemon so I hate her, even though she's easily the best drag queen of the cast and she deserves the crown. 

I never really payed attention until Jimbo said it but, the prize is a duet with Rupaul? Is that an actual prize? No offense but that sort of reminded me when, in the company I work for, part of the "recognition" prizes is having a 1:1 with the lead manager, what kind of trash prize is that?

• Love 2

I'm pretty stunned. All that outrage over Jimbo 'breaking the alliance' with Jujubee. It wasn't an alliance, it was a deal (and kind of a mock deal); and as Jimbo explained, but the outraged group couldn't seem to hear, she made the same deal with Cheryl Hole!

It is a travesty that Jimbo went home, or was even in the bottom two, this episode.

• Love 1

I don't get all the hate that Pangina is getting.  Jimbo clearly did the worst in the challenge, and I am glad we are finally with an All Stars cast tha doesn't try to weigh track record and past performances.  You suck this week, you go home this week.  Baga and JuJu were also bland, but Jimbo was outright bad.   Pangina was also not living for Jimbo's backtracking, excuse making, and all around shadiness wrapped in the guise of being a 'goofy clown.'  IF Baga had been in the bottom, Pangina may have eliminated her, based on how directly Pangina informed Baga that her sour energy was bringing down the entire cast.  I bet she felt similarly to Jimbo.  

9 hours ago, charliesan said:

I never really payed attention until Jimbo said it but, the prize is a duet with Rupaul? Is that an actual prize? No offense but that sort of reminded me when, in the company I work for, part of the "recognition" prizes is having a 1:1 with the lead manager, what kind of trash prize is that?

Since UK v The World is on BBC3, and is tax payer funded programing, the show is not allowed to give out substantial prizes (cash or otherwise) unless the producers agree to an impartial party sitting in on production and judging to deem that all decisions are fair and unbiased.  That would never fly in a reality show like RuPaul's.  Anyhow the queens don't go on for the prize money but to increase their booking demand.  Likewise, Ilona Verley recently mentioned that the queens this season got a stipend to prepare their drag package... so at least what they present is not entirely out of pocket.  

Edited by AntManBee
spelling... silly autocorrect
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Baga belonged in the bottom three, and Blue in the top three, not safe... It was very disappointing that Jujube didn't go home for the second week in a row; her look was lame, (the tights and boots needed dots, for starters!) and Jimbo deserved points for her runway and past tops.  I love Pangina, and I'm so glad she's cemented her position in the top, but this was a disappointment.   I don't want Juju or Baga to win this, it has to be Pangina, or Jackie, or Blu if they have to have a UK queen.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Well, fook! Jimbo was so gutted. Ru had to know if she put Jimbo in the bottom, she would likely be taken out, as that was the strategically correct play. So I have to assume Ru was okay with Jimbo going. But why. It will clearly weaken the show going forward. I guess Ru has her reasons. 

Pangina did what was best for her, within the rules, so I can't be mad about it anymore than I can be mad when a favorite player gets voted out of Survivor because they are a threat. Still sucks. 

• Like 1
On 2/14/2022 at 3:28 PM, Rai said:

Not to be unkind because Jujubee is a longtime fave for me, but "basic" has always been her wheelhouse. It works with the realness persona she seems to favor, but rarely does she elevate her look into pure "feel the fantasy" drag. So it's very optimistic to assume she's been getting her basic looks out of the way now and saving the good stuff for later, but it's also not entirely consistent with her wardrobe history.

(Sorry, Jujubee! I love you!)

I agree. Her best look on the last AS by a mile was her finale look, which was still a rather simple tidy affair. The one thing Juju absolutely needed this time out were stronger runway looks. What's being shown is really not it.

On 2/11/2022 at 7:37 PM, Ms.Lulu said:

...huh...? Juju signed a contract to do multiple seasons of this reality competition show? Doesn't that basically mean she'd have to keep losing to honor her contract....and essentially show up to lose? That's depressing.

Really curious where you read this.

On 2/15/2022 at 9:49 PM, threebluestars said:

Nooooo, Pagina, noooo.

(Okay, probably Pagina's biggest competition, but still ... noooooo)

Exactly. Eliminate someone who is barely a threat...or your biggest competitor? Seems a simple choice to me.

I'm bummed Jimbo is gone. He wouldn't win a lip synch, but he does his own thing so well. For him to go before Snatch Game? That's a crime.

Bianca was lucky to win when she did. I really am tired of lip synchs being the be-all end-all.

Unless Juju shapes up suddenly, its Pangina's show to lose.

Love Mo Heart, and the name switch though.

Think this season will have a Rudemption episode? Oh wait - that'll just be another lip synch competition.

Jimbo's gone for good :(

Yeah, something seemed really off with Jimbo's performance in this week's ep. It was weak and very lacking in energy compared to his normal style. He even got the role he wanted for the Ru-sical, but his performance was flat. If he really had injured himself before rehersal, I wonder if that was a factor in his performance and at the end. 

Otherwise I'd dare say he was told to throw it by production and wasn't happy with what he had to do. 

I don't think of it as a game. It's a competition.  It should be about doing your best and winning for it. Not tripping one another up.

It's a cop-out for them to be forced to vote each other out just so Ru doesn't get into shit with the fans. It's cowardly. Dela was right to leave over the format.

Anytime the best competitors get voted out of the running because they're doing too well (Manilla) I lose interest in the season. Jimbo should have asked Pangina if she felt she could beat him fair and square. Win by beating the best.

• Like 1

So I don't have a deep knowledge of musicals outside of Rocky Horror, and that's how I can tell Mo really messed that one up. My biggest problem being that she didn't even know the words. I can see why Jujubee is getting the laser focus right now, but her performance did seem better than Mo's. I guess it came down to runway. I would've put Mo in the bottom over Jujubee though. Jimbo's was okay but given what an intense weirdo he can be, I expected him to go all out with doggie mannerisms, and I'm surprised he did not. However, I would've expected his runway to win out over Baga's.

But Jimbo did also seem pretty disingenuous all episode, and it's easy to see why the other queens were not on board with him. I think being in the top twice made him think he was untouchable. His confessional speaking to Ru and being all "Why can't you put me in the middle when I killed the first two challenges?" really makes me think he didn't take the challenge seriously enough because he didn't think he had to. Baga sulked and whined, but out on the stage she didn't show any of her contempt for the character, and definitely gave a safe performance,

I gotta give it up to Janey for her Streep. I've never seen Mamma Mia, and I think of Streep as a chameleon to a certain degree, but wow, that performance did seem effortless. I also think Blu did one of the best makeup jobs. I think Pangina remains the one to win it all, and she would be very deserving. I really like her. I can't even be mad that she eliminated Jimbo because she really doesn't seem to have an agenda or a particular attachment to any one of the queens. She's doing the work and as a former judge, I can see her making decisions that come from an informed, analytical place. With Jimbo gone, I don't have to split my loyalties anymore, I guess. Go Pangina!

I hope Baga gets out of her head, and I hope Blu gets some recognition. And I would love to learn that specific eye makeup Janey wore on the runway. That's all.

Edited by Rai
  • Like 1
20 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

It's a cop-out for them to be forced to vote each other out just so Ru doesn't get into shit with the fans. It's cowardly. Dela was right to leave over the format.

OK I have to ask for someone to give me the back story on this format, please. Before this, I had only ever watched the two Canada seasons. Where the judges do the eliminating. Isn't that how it is in the US version as well? Or has it changed? Or is it just the ones outside of North America? Did it change at some point for some reason?

I agree that this "Survivor-"esque element is BS.

1 hour ago, Starchild said:

... Isn't that how it is in the US version as well?...

Yes. The US series of Drag Race has an elimination formula with bottom two queens lip-syncing and then Ru (alleged at times: Ru and Ru alone) decides who goes home based on the lip sync.  

The All-Stars seasons of US Drag Race have had varied methods of eliminating queens.  Beginning in All-Stars 2, the top ranking queen(s) of the week would have the opportunity to eliminate a (selected arbitrarily by the judges) bottom queen.

In the case of All-Stars (and UK vs. the World: International All-Stars) the queens are allowed to decide what they gauge elimination worthy: track record, friendships, individual day performances, competition, etc....

Thanks.

Combined with Jimbo's lacklustre performance when I've seen him consistently do so much better (he was never my favourite but he is still awesome), I am definitely suspicious that he was convinced to throw it.

I reiterate, it's BS. Of course competitors are going to get rid of their competition, especially near the end.

The winner should be the queen who performs the majority of the tasks/assignments the best, as determined by the judge(s).

"Let the best drag queen win, " my arse.

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, Starchild said:

The winner should be the queen who performs the majority of the tasks/assignments the best, as determined by the judge(s).

That is generally what happens on regular seasons of (US) Drag Race, and most the international versions that I have seen. 

All-Stars adds an interesting elements to the game... something that is very drag pageant... where congeniality and gamesmanship are rewarded.

Ugh, well, that's what Pangina did last week, so I can't feel too sorry for her. It just really sucks that the show is designed so that the contestants doing what is best for their chances of winning means the quality of the entertainment goes down for the viewers. That seems like a stupid formula.

Also, are you really the "All Star" if the major front runners have just been strategically eliminated? I would feel bad if I was drug along to the final because the others thought they could beat me. Ru needs to retool this. 

Guess I am rooting for Mo Heart now. 

• Love 4

Well, I felt Pangina changed the way they were voting when she picked Jimbo, at that point they were basing it on merit and performance, but she played the game and now the game played her. Not going to lie, I LOL'd when she left the stage but you could still hear her crying, I bet it was the editing. 

I thought Juju did well on the Snatch Game but I cringed with her runway, either she was promised to make it to the end or she simply didn't care. 

I wasn't so impressed with Baga before but this episode made it clear she is a star. 

I guess I shouldn't try to predict or root for queens now because I cursed the frontrunners. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. Notably though, this feels like the first true season where people are cutting out their best competition. None of this "I want to beat the best" lip service that always sounded disingenuous. These bitches are in it to win it. I do respect that and I think this is the way Ru had hoped it would be when she first instituted it in All-Stars 2. But at the same time....Pangina was the clear winner. I don't see anyone else on that level. Baga is mad talented, but her drag is really terrible. Moreso than Jujubee's, IMO. She has a camp factor that Jujubee doesn't, but it's just not great. They're about equal on makeup though.

I would've been okay losing Janey. Now I guess she's my pick to win it just in terms of polish. Blu though is one heck of a dark horse, and she's really been pushing herself all season. Her big gamble (luck be a lady, indeed) might just pay off.

Or they cut her next episode in this continuing bloodbath. Either or!

• Like 1

Disgustingly predictable.  Of course the best, most interesting queens have to be eliminated so that the mediocre standin hand-picked by the producers (Baga, the new Trixie) gets the crown.  Pangina would have, should have won this, and fuck Blu for lying to her face.  All-stars needs a new gimmick other than pulling this infuriating B.S. over and over again; it should never have continued after it just resulted in the second coming of yotoxicrash in the AS2 finale.  But, this has saved me the hours of my life I would have spent watching the rest of this season, since I no longer care and don't want to see second-rate runways and performances.

Edited by Glade
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
On 2/22/2022 at 2:15 AM, DisneyBoy said:

I don't think of it as a game. It's a competition.  It should be about doing your best and winning for it. Not tripping one another up.

See now I'm going to sound like I'm going back on my previous statements but...kinda glad Pangina went. She took out one of the best and then started singing the "keep the strongest competition/have integrity!" blues to Baga and that bugged me. She clearly saw Jimbo as a threat. Jimbo was doing really well.

I'd hoped Baga would do it, but luckily she was spared which will help her seem less vindictive come the jury vote finale.

...and that display...come onnnnnn....Panny, you're not dying. You had zero regrets sending Jimbo home, but you're slow-walking down the runway hoping Ru's heart breaks as you sob? Like...aren't you a HOST of a Drag Race series? Where's your pride here? Walk out with class.

I'm not trying to hate on her but geez...what goes around comes around.

(Juju...step it up!!!!!)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I think it all comes down to what you value more: the overall track-record performance of a queen, or how a queen performed that individual week.  All-Stars is fun because there is no set method how to play, the queens decide and act on their own accord.  The producers have some string pulling in selecting the bottom queens or even who wins the lipsync... but in the end, the queens themselves are creating their own rules.  [Rumors abound that during the infamous Bebe vs. BenDeLaCreme All-Stars lipsync Bebe removed her wig as she knew who Ben selected, and that there was no way she could win wigless.]  Likewise, Pangina played by the rule of "week-to-week" scrutiny, which was great for challenges she excelled at.  This gives her credence to send Jimbo home, as Jimbo really was the worst in the Rusical.   Thus, when Pangina stunk up Snatch Game, she set up herself by the rules of her own gamesmanship.

I am curious who Baga selected to eliminate and bet that it was also Pangina.  Also agree with poster above: Pangina hosts a Drag Race franchise and has eliminated several queens... so I also found the OTT dramatics a bit... much.

I still love this show and will hate-watch it to the end.  If anything, this move really opened up the possibilities of who ends up with the crown.  Watch JuJubee win now after so many queens had the opportunity to eliminate her. 

Edited by AntManBee
making my lip-syncs and lipsyncs consistant
(edited)

Well that was disappointing.  Yes, Janey was the worst, but I don't think any of the remaining four queens are worthy of the crown.

When Ru asked us to tweet it is #teamjimbo #teampangina.

Ru sets the rules so hopefully she corrects this.

Edited by Ms.Lulu
  • Like 1
  • Love 2