Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Wake Up

• Start Topic

I can't believe it.... Did I actually like this episode?

I liked that none of our main group was doing anything shady, illegal, unethical. Can't believe that's a benchmark.

While I think Griff's explanation to Sam is unsatisfying, because if he really wanted to be her father, he wouldn't have acted like a complete and utter prat (I'm thinking of another word that starts with PR) this whole time. But, I liked this exploration about how this gunshot case was affecting them, remembering what happened. I liked that Griff's shooting did affect him and that it would be a huge adjustment to wake up, find out that it's six months later, and you have pretty much lost your whole career.

Still doesn't explain him being an absolute prat, though. And I'm wondering what his ulterior motive is. Because his explanation is still really unsatisfying and doesn't explain anything.

But, I liked Griff being this way (although I'm waiting for the backstab).

I laughed at Griff and Sam having the exact same reaction to the psychiatrist. The whole exhale then inhale thing. And then Griff making cappuccino very loudly.

I can get behind this show if the characters were presented in this way.  

• Love 6
Just now, Driad said:

Why would Griff set up a DNR (before he got shot)?

It's actually not uncommon to have paperwork in place to let people know what to do in case of some serious medical situation, especially if there is no spouse to make such calls (I work in the healthcare field, but I am not a cardiac prodigy ;) ). I find it more unbelievable that no one could find it, it should have been on file with the hospital, and not secreted away at home.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, saoirse said:

It's actually not uncommon to have paperwork in place to let people know what to do in case of some serious medical situation

A medical proxy is understandable, but why a DNR?

1 hour ago, Driad said:

A medical proxy is understandable, but why a DNR?

Medical proxy vs. DNR:

A DNR says that if your heart stops or you stop breathing, medical professionals should not attempt to revive you. This is very different from a health care proxy, which only goes into effect if you are unable to communicate your wishes for care.

• Love 2

I didn't fully understand the financial matter with Rhonda. As stated, if she was receiving a higher percentage than all the others, why was she complaining? What did I miss? Can someone explain?

• Love 1

Unless you have a fatal illness or are elderly, why would you have a DNR? I would think most people would want to be resuscitated. I don’t see how this premise can last an entire series. I also have trouble listening to the baby voice of the actress that plays Sam. The flashbacks were Ok but still find Griff insufferable and I really liked the actor.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, preeya said:

Medical proxy vs. DNR:

A DNR says that if your heart stops or you stop breathing, medical professionals should not attempt to revive you. This is very different from a health care proxy, which only goes into effect if you are unable to communicate your wishes for care.

Right. I have both. I'm an DNR (or in my state, I have a MOLST form) and a healthcare proxy. I need both. If you become incapacitated there are decisions other than life and death that may need to be made. My spouse and I have talked about what we want in certain situations. 

This show was on the bubble for me but this keeps me for at least another week or two. I felt that "Call it, Sam," because I used to be an RN and you just never want to get that outcome on  a patient who isn't a DNR. 

1 hour ago, preeya said:

I didn't fully understand the financial matter with Rhonda. As stated, if she was receiving a higher percentage than all the others, why was she complaining? What did I miss? Can someone explain?

I took it as her caring about her co-workers and wanting a fairer system. But I may have missed something. I don't watch as closely as I should. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, preeya said:

It became apparent at the meeting that nobody knew what percentage anyone else was getting. Sam’s mom said they were violating an agreement when they all started saying what their percentages were. So Rhonda didn’t know she was getting the highest one. She just felt that 40% was unfair and wanted more.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, preeya said:

I think she was just intending to cause problems.  I don't think she cared anything at all about her fellow surgeons.

8 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

The thing that makes no sense to me is they were talking about the DNR as if it’s standard for everyone to have one! Did the writers screw up and actually mean medical proxy?

I'll bet Griff has a will.  Often as part of developing a will--no matter your age--if you're working with an attorney who truly specializes in estate planning, all that medical proxy and even DNR paperwork can be done as part of the routine package.  I've had a DNR, which is much more nuanced than a simple "if I drop dead, don't do anything", since Mr. HV and I did our first will when I was about forty.

The physical struggle between Sam and her dad made me very uncomfortable.  That freaked me out at some level, it was just so unexpected.  It made sense in context, Griff isn't allowed to touch patients, but the fact that it turned into a physical confrontation was really extra.

But Lex stepped in.  This was a good Lex episode, all her scenes were really good.  I like that she's coming out from beneath her best friend's and lover's shadows and standing on her own.  I really like the actress, and she's doing great things with this character.

I'm starting to figure out why people are so leery of Sam's mom's hot young husband.  Not only is he a psychologist, which can be off-putting to a lot of people, but he just creepily shows up out of the blue and does this Svengali routine with them.  He's a really good looking guy, but he just appears and now I'm starting to wonder if there's some other motive for that.  He just kind of insinuates himself into these situations.  On the face of it, he seems filled with genuine concern and is imbued with some sort of evangelical fervor to see to the mental health of those around him.  But looking deeper, how is it that he's always available when these situations arise, how is it that he is right there at the moment?  Is he lying in wait?  I think he's up to something.  Like loitering around the door to the surgical suite and catching Lex as she's coming down from the adrenaline rush from Griff's trauma surgery.  He adroitly manipulated the situation (while also helping Lex) so that he would be the one to update the family.  Did he do that so Lex truly had the time to get herself together and not reveal to Griff's ex and daughter that she was more upset than a daughter's best friend should be regarding Griff's condition?  Or did he do that so he could have an "in" with the family?  Dun-dun-dunnnnnnn.....

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Madding crowd said:

Unless you have a fatal illness or are elderly, why would you have a DNR? I would think most people would want to be resuscitated. 

I’m a healthy almost 40-something and in favor of a DNR. The idea of living on a ventilator scares me and I wouldn’t want to put my loved ones through decisions around life sustaining procedures. My dad was of the same mind and I was actually relieved to learn he had a DNR in place. But this is definitely a YMMV situation. 

I thought the writing of this episode was awful.  As @saoirse said the DNR would be in his chart, not stuffed in a drawer, and it was hard to feel moved by Sam’s bedside vigil knowing what her dad was going to be like once he woke up.   Every line out of Griff’s mouth was about his job - does he legit have nothing else in his life?

To keep this from being all negative: I really liked Caleb (? Sam’s ex - already forgetting names argh) story and showing him working his recovery. The moment during the vigil at the lake where Sam handed out chocolate instead of alcohol to show her support for him was really sweet.

• Love 1

So, I was questioning why they were throwing the flashback to the shooting episode earlier than I expected. I even thought it might have been too early, as this flashback-type episode would typically be saved a little later in the season.

But, as it turns out, the show desperately needed this episode right now. Because it made everyone more likeable.

What this episode finally did was really humanize Griff. They attempted it in the pilot and then went 150% villain for the next three episodes. Having him visibly affected by their shooting case was a great way to (hopefully) cause some change in him. Make him less mustache-twirling villainy toward his own daughter, because that WAS getting old. Plus, Sam made him speechless for the first time ever.

And if we got more Griff that was shown at the end, it would make for a much better show. Jason Isaacs can sell the funnier moments and the more humanized moments better than the villain moments. 

I do think his explanation as to why he wants his job back is bullshit, especially since Sam could just up and leave at any point, but whatever, it was still a nice moment.

I actually think that, for once (and probably only once for this show), I will actually rewatch the episode and make more comments about the other aspects of it. Because the other residents had very nice stories as well, but I was more focused on the Griffith mess of it all.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
23 hours ago, Darian said:

If you become incapacitated there are decisions other than life and death that may need to be made.

This is so true. My MIL became mentally incapacitated (stroke/dementia) without a proxy or DNR. My wife had to petition the court to grant her guardianship over her mother to make medical & financial decisions on her behalf.

Edited by preeya
On 2/2/2022 at 10:38 PM, saoirse said:

It's actually not uncommon to have paperwork in place to let people know what to do in case of some serious medical situation, especially if there is no spouse to make such calls (I work in the healthcare field, but I am not a cardiac prodigy ;) ). I find it more unbelievable that no one could find it, it should have been on file with the hospital, and not secreted away at home.

I have a DNR. 

That was a good article on DNR . It says DNR’s are used mostly In chronically ill and elderly patients. It also says CPR can save patients who have a heart attack or stop breathing. There are risks but I would rather have a broken rib than just dying if I should stop breathing . Of course it is a personal choice.

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, historylover820 said:

Yeah, I believe that CPR can be used. From my understanding, it means that no extraordinary measures can be used to save you. 

The article above says no attempts will be made to revive you if you have a DNR. My MIL had one and no CPR was attempted. 

There are gradations in a DNR.  My mother had one that went into effect if her heart was affected because it was so weak  but not for other conditions where she could survive resuscitation. 

Sam should have talked to her mother before the meeting that she was going to raise the compensation issue becuase it was only fair to give her a head's up but also because they could have worked out a strategy and avoided the mess. God, these people are stupid.

The minute Griff said "my daughter saw [my coma] as an advancement opportunity", Sam should have ended proctoring him. Given Griff's antagonism and Sam's defensiveness, it's a toxic situation. Sam is desperate for her father's approval butn she'll never get it competing with him. Nor will she get it in another branch of medicine because he has no respect for anyone else.

On 2/3/2022 at 12:50 PM, HurricaneVal said:

I'm starting to figure out why people are so leery of Sam's mom's hot young husband.  Not only is he a psychologist, which can be off-putting to a lot of people, but he just creepily shows up out of the blue and does this Svengali routine with them. 

Psychiatrist. Different doctors.  The big problem is once again the nepotism. Sam's mother should not be calling her current husband in professionally to handle the problem between her ex-husband and her daughter. Especially since Griff has zero respect for Pyne, it just make Vivian and Pyne look inept.

Griff did a 180 at the end of the episode (as did Lex and that other resident).  The show desperately needs it to avoid getting cancelled but I'm not buying it was the same person. Anyone who attacked his daughter that viciously isn't going to stay just to be close to her.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Simba122504 said:

I'm not here for Sam's BFF screwing her father. Not relationship is meant to be and this one is disgusting on every level. Go screw someone who's not her father and not old enough to be your father. 

I agree and Lex’s whole conversation felt very manipulative—Lex made herself a martyr, and if she needs to talk about her feelings, then she needs to actually do it and Sam’s vowing to be a “better” friend feels like a set up for Lex to force Sam into accepting the massively inappropriate relationship between her dad and best friend.

I am also enjoying the relationship between Costa and his boyfriend—they are rather cute together.

• Love 4
On 2/2/2022 at 8:32 PM, Driad said:

Why would Griff set up a DNR (before he got shot)?

Absolutely everyone should have a durable power of attorney for health care setting forth your wishes, like DNR, end of life wishes, etc. It is also the legally effective way of ensuring your organ donation wishes are followed - - the sticker on your DL can be overridden by your next of kin. Don't leave these decisions to a moment of crisis. 

Almost every state has a standard form you can download and execute. If you need help finding one for your state (anyone! Please!) lmk and I can help you find it. You should then execute it, talk to your next of kin, and make sure every doctor you see and the hospital you're most likely to be in has copies. Also DISCUSS with your doctor.. 

*lawyer mode off*

I do not buy Griff & the best friend. At all. 

I agree that everyone should have powers of attorney, one medical and another financial. IIRC, his ex-wife held his medical POA. But I just can't buy that Griff also had a signed DNR, he's such an arrogant bastard that he would have felt that he could overcome anything that befell him.

• Love 1
On 2/3/2022 at 1:32 PM, Silver-hyren said:

Every line out of Griff’s mouth was about his job - does he legit have nothing else in his life?

Quite possibly. Remember, at the end when Sam and Griff were coming to a small truce, Sam literally said she knew almost nothing about her own father other than the medical aspect.

On 2/3/2022 at 12:50 PM, HurricaneVal said:

I'm starting to figure out why people are so leery of Sam's mom's hot young husband.  Not only is he a psychologist, which can be off-putting to a lot of people, but he just creepily shows up out of the blue and does this Svengali routine with them.  He's a really good looking guy, but he just appears and now I'm starting to wonder if there's some other motive for that. 

Hmm, interesting idea! However, didn't Vivian say in the first or second episode that they'd been married like eight years already? If he had ulterior motives, chances are he'd already have done whatever it is he'd planned to do.

On 2/5/2022 at 3:50 PM, Simba122504 said:

I'm not here for Sam's BFF screwing her father. Not relationship is meant to be and this one is disgusting on every level. Go screw someone who's not her father and not old enough to be your father. 

Not to mention the imbalance of power - surely Lex has seen what this man is capable of, toward his own family. Just what does she imagine will happen to her medical career if something happens in which she loses his favor??