Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E12: Dagobah, a Room and a Chimney Sweep / S02.E13: A Boss, a Bear Claw and a Defibrillator

jewel21
  • Start Topic

Dagobah, a Room and a Chimney Sweep

Gina is overwhelmed when all the seniors at Valley Hills compete for a fancy upgraded room. Also, Drew and Harry finally arrive at the Grand Tetons, but Drew doesn't have the epiphany he hoped for.

Airdate: 01/27/2022

A Boss, a Bear Claw and a Defibrillator

Gina struggles with being both a boss and a friend to Gabby and Gideon; Drew volunteers to drive the Valley Hills van; and Jerry learns he's healthy enough to leave Valley Hills.

Airdate: 01/27/2022

27 minutes ago, DavidWeis1 said:

They changed the opening credits, yet again. That’s pretty much the only thing I can say.

I thought the same thing...maybe they should put some of that energy into writing a better show...

27 minutes ago, DavidWeis1 said:

Oh, and this: Do they not have any grownups in charge at the “home”?

Gabby seems to spend all her free time at work getting high (which Gina has witnessed) yet she still lets her drive the bus... How does she even still have a license?

I was expecting Harry to get mad that they moved his stuff without asking if he wanted to move. I would be.

• Love 6

Gina loves the residents so much that she can never stop thinking about how to help them, even at happy hour.

But she's also okay with them being cared for by drugged-up incompetents, apparently - so long as they're not behind the wheel. Sure, writers, whatever.

My husband and I were both confused by Jerry saying that what he wants is possibly illegal.  Did he mean that him living there might be illegal, because he's not sick enough to qualify? Or was he saying that he has some other desire that brushes up against the law? (If that's the case, I'm glad we didn't hear what it was.)

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

My husband and I were both confused by Jerry saying that what he wants is possibly illegal.  Did he mean that him living there might be illegal, because he's not sick enough to qualify? Or was he saying that he has some other desire that brushes up against the law? (If that's the case, I'm glad we didn't hear what it was.)

The only thing I could think of was insurance fraud, if he's faking symptoms to get them to cover his staying there...

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Thank you, forum person, for merging these two episodes into one thread! So little happens on this show.

We all speculated that Drew would wind up working at the facility but we assumed as a therapist. Instead he's just doing odd jobs. Have the writers forgotten what he does for a living? He went from being a (presumably) successful therapist - doing well enough to own his own home - to living in an RV in the nursing home parking lot and doing minimum wage odd jobs there. WTF. Oh wait . . . I remember. This is a Chuck Lorre show, and Chuck Lorre thinks it's hysterically funny when a character is a pathetic loser. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
47 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Thank you, forum person, for merging these two episodes into one thread! So little happens on this show.

They were probably merged because they both aired last night.

• Love 2

Apparently Drew lost his daughter with the kidney transplant. Maybe she was included in the sale of the house.🙄

It’s sad that Harry is the one counseling Drew, the therapist.

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, Blakeston said:

confused by Jerry saying that what he wants is possibly illegal.  Did he mean that him living there might be illegal, because he's not sick enough to qualify? Or was he saying that he has some other desire that brushes up against the law? (If that's the case, I'm glad we didn't hear what it was.)

7 hours ago, ams1001 said:

The only thing I could think of was insurance fraud, if he's faking symptoms to get them to cover his staying there...

I was totally confused by that too, but Jerry pretending to be sick (insurance fraud) does fit with what we saw in this episode.
The only thing I could think of was pot/marijuana, and that didn't make sense for square Jerry.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I was expecting Harry to get mad that they moved his stuff without asking if he wanted to move. I would be.

I had the same thought. Maybe he would want to stay in the same room because of all the memories there.

Also, it's ridiculous for Gina to make this much more luxurious room and not think about the inequity. I was expecting her to want to charge extra money for it, and for that to set up conflicts. Also, I don't find it funny that the chef is living there. Didn't they establish that he has a disable daughter and is a single parent for her? Or was that supposed to be a lie? In either case: What the hell? Also, homelessness is not a joke to me. Laughing about him showering in the sprinklers and doing nothing about him squatting in the facility is just not cool, as is Gabby being high all the time.

I felt sad that Gina's friends had no sympathy or interest in her struggles as newly responsible for the home. They really aren't good friends to her. I get that they wanted time to not think about work, and that's fine. But the way she just took on the idea that she's a bad friend, to me was a reversal of the reality. She's a great friend, and none of them are being friends to her at the moment. Gabbuy threw her bra at her for godsake. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, possibilities said:

Also, it's ridiculous for Gina to make this much more luxurious room and not think about the inequity.

It seemed like she was planning to upgrade all the rooms, but then that would require people moving one at a time as each room is done. Would take months (IIRC, she had a line that indicated there were 25 residents).

Edited by ams1001
  • Useful 1

I think the new room was for marketing the business. Don't most assisted living places have different tiers for richer clients?

Drew went from co-lead to 3rd string this year. I figured after his midlife crisis he would travel a bit then get bored and buy a new house to continue his profession like most people would do. If the show gets renewed I expect drew to get less and less airtime.

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, MarthaEllisanne said:

Time to remove Drew and Gabby from the cast. They are part of Gina's old life and gets harder to wedge them into storylines. Besides, they are both as annoying af.

I'm imagining the show/network's social media spies reading this👆post and thinking 🤷‍♀️ (meh) but then one of them notices that f'in' shapeshifter liked it/agrees. 😂
I think you are totally spot on, @MarthaEllisanne, about the only hope for the show being to get rid of Drew and Gabby.

Or, *maybe* Gabby could start next season with a back story of having done rehab and graduated from nursing school.
But I don't know the actress well enough to really picture it, and I'm not sure if the current writers could make such a retooled character funny.

I do think the older actors still have the chops, and for that reason I'd like to see the show continue.

• Love 2

I think Gabby is just there so the writers can give her the drugged-out party girl jokes that they used to give to Gina.

Kether Donohue, who plays Gabby, was great on the show You're the Worst, playing a character who was like an even more obnoxious version of Gabby. In the later seasons, the character matured a lot and became much more likable, and Kether did a great job with the material. So I have to think she could pull off a storyline where Gabby gets her act together.

• Useful 3
On 1/29/2022 at 7:58 AM, UnknownK said:

I think the new room was for marketing the business. Don't most assisted living places have different tiers for richer clients?

The one my father was at had different price points for the size of the room: studio, one bedroom or two bedroom. The amenities were the same regardless as to which room you were in.

• Love 1