Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E09: Lowest Common Denominator

• Start Topic

This was a hilarious send up of reality shows.

Behrad you go for it with Astra. She likes you back.

Zari hates being called a TimeBro-ette. That's my girl.

Yeah, Davies should have been warned rather than learn about the hell part of the dimension on his own.

Fiery credits! Very Supernatural. Does this mean Yellow Eyes might show?

Oh, thank god Zari figured out the manipulation before she kissed Nate.

It makes sense that everyone would walk in on Gary and Gideon.

Yay for Astra's Hell experience continuing to come in handy. And, hee at Davies fainting. Matt is too much fun.

HA! Behrad was recast on his own show. I bet Zari's Keeping Up With was infinitely more entertaining than the other one.

Sara is wearing earrings. That's way more jarring than any assassin related thing she's told us about. Caity channeling the vapid reality stars is hilarious, btw. 

Hee, Spoons is the naked reality person. Davies eternal awkwardness is a perfect foil.

Yeah, no one sign me up for Puddling please. Does not sound pleasant.

Gideon as the reality bad guy was excellent.

Ok, Nate reminds me of that Mike guy from the Real World who's now a pro-wrestler. "Did that self tanner seep into his brain?" 

OG Zari arrives and joins the fun! 

Nice that Behrad saves the day by being honest about his feelings.

Ok, show, Behrad's pot gummies are not the same thing as a cocaine so can the addiction implications.

Good idea, Gids, but no way are you going to prevent the Great War. 

• Love 3

They bleeped out Gary saying God.  LMAO.  Oh my goodness, that was incredible.

About a month ago I saw The King's Man, and now Legends is using stopping WW1 as a plot point.  The Legends better run into a tailor, just for the hell of it.  And Gideon's totally going there because it will get them on the radar of the RoboLegends, and they can find out more about the Robos.

Was a fan of Gary and Gideon calling out the other Legends.  They were right.

• Love 1

Zari & Astra: Don't fall into reality TV tropes!!!

Legends: (immediately fall into reality TV tropes)

You know, "Cast Stuck In Reality Television Hell" would reek of filler and/or desperation. On this show, it works so well. Sure, everyone basically goes nuts (including Zar1.0, who came in late in this episode), but there are some good laughs and Behrad gets some character growth.

Also nice: we barely get a look at the cursed crew. Mostly, we see things from their perspective. I'm thinking their boss was the one inserting objects to heighten the drama . . . as well as produce hotter outfits for the women.

You know, I remembered Gary had a third nipple, but I didn't expect to see it. Gotta love the collective WTF from the crew about him and Gideon.

Ava being seen as den mother makes sense. It's not that I don't think Sara would make a great mother like Alex and Kelly. I'm just thinking Sara's lot was supposed to be the Cool Aunt. Imagine if none of the craziness of Arrow happened. You can see her explain to Laurel's teenage kids that they shouldn't smoke pot . . . and then demonstrates by taking a drag and blowing the smoke in the dog's face. "God damn it, Sara! Do you know how much the vet charged us for what you did to Fifi?!?"

2 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Ok, Nate reminds me of that Mike guy from the Real World who's now a pro-wrestler. "Did that self tanner seep into his brain?" 

Mike Mizanin? From RW: Back to New York? I can sorta see it, but I'm thinking the various guidos from Jersey Shore were the inspiration for Nate's tan and "gains."

• Love 5

This was a fun episode, with surprise development from Behrad! Poor guy doesn't really get any development beyond a centric episode or two, so for this episode to have him actually TALK about his tragic backstory AND have it actually matter for future episodes as he changes his path from chill stoner to sober Legend? And he even turned down Astra for the moment for himself! Absolutely brilliant, and goes to show that Shayan is talented, but just hasn't had much opportunity to show it on this show. 

The reality TV stuff was a whole lot of fun. Once again, Nick Zano looked like he was having a blast playing an exaggerated version of a Jersey Show-esque character. Tala Ashe did an amazing job with Zari 2.0, and seeing Nate/Z2 interact is so much different from Nate/Z1 (although I am gonna question the claim from Nate that Zari 2.0 is his Time Bro-ette, since they don't interact THAT much and I get flashbacks to how Nate/Zari 1.0 started out as good friends). Also, nice to see an appearance from Zari 1.0, mostly not involved in the shennanigans, except for her tossing a drink at Nate and Zari 2.0. 

Another great standout? Caity as this exaggerated version of Sara. I loved how she went all in on the vacation and the yachts (don't go on a yacht, Sara Lance!) and basically turned into one of those rich reality TV stars by the end. 

Gwyn's reaction to everything was gold, as was Spooner's Survivor character. I actually found myself laughing harder at Spooner's alliance talk than I thought I would. 

And Gary/Gideon, a pairing I still hope is just for this season but also one that strangely works for now. It was nice to see Gary stand up for Gideon and for Gideon to call the Legends out on their hypocrisy. 

Again, a silly episode premise that turned into fantastic character development by the end, what this show does best at. 

• Love 6

This was a funny episode. The standouts for me were Sara and Nate as one of the stars in Real Housewives and Jersey Shore. Nick's real arms were pretty big too, lol. Spooner was hilarious as a Survivor. Were the others supposed to be people from other reality shows? I guess Zari's from Keeping up with the Tarazi/Kardashians, but not sure who the others, especially Gideon, were supposed to be. The music and sound effects were great too.

Love that Astra was so protective of Gideon, making sure she wasn't taken advantage of. And Gideon/Gary seem sweet together.

Of course Sara is apologizing to Ava again. I feel like Sara spends half of the relationship apologizing to Ava. How am I supposed to feel they are equals when one party is always portrayed to be in the right, and the other in the wrong? They barely talked about being co-captains, as described in the synopsis, but I pretty much expected it to be Sara saying she can't do without Ava as her co-captain.

Nice that Behrad got to talk about his feelings. I wonder how he felt when they had that documentary crew in their face all the time?

Edited by lurker22
  • Love 2

That was a ton of fun, the reality show from literal Hell is a premise that could easily come off as stupid, but what helped this work was the commitment from the actors as well as adding some actual character development as well as the jokes. Nate was probably the stand out, Nick Zano really does do great in that "go hard or go home" style of comedy, slowly transforming himself into The Situation, it was hilarious. Sara as a Real Housewife and Spooner as every naked person from Survivor were right behind him though when it came to hilarity. Those late 90's/early 00's vibes felt so very real. I also really liked it being a way to explore Astra past in Hell more, and it looks like we are going towards Astra/Behrad! Even if they are taking it slow, as Behard is dealing with a lot of unprocessed issues. Yeah, he died and came back, someone should probably make sure he's doing alright with all that. 

Poor Gwyn, he goes along on this trip and he gets Chernobyl, finding out that there is going to be a second great war, and now he gets sent to actual damn Hell. I cant really imagine a worse place for an anxious introverted deeply religious scientist then a Hell sponsored reality show, the poor guy about had a heart attack at least three times. Gwyn has been a really good addition to the cast, having someone from the actual past around is a lot of fun and adds a really interesting new dynamic to the team. 

I was really not into Gary/Gideon, and its still a little weird for me, but it does actually seem to be working out, and I liked that they all called everyone out on acting like them being together was just so bizarre. Everyone else gets to engage in dating musical chairs, so why not them? 

The damned reality show censoring every mention of God had me cracking up. 

Of course Sara had to be the one to apologize even though she and Ava both got mad, and we got more "co-captain" stuff, which I still find annoying. The only reason Ava is a co-captain is not a second in command like you want expect is because of the writers love of Ava. At least there wasn't as much co-captains stuff as it sounded like there would be in a synopsis, its mostly just more about how Sara cant do it without Ava, of course. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 5

Maybe a bit of a filler episode in some ways, but still a fun one I thought.  I obviously loved all of the references and mockery of reality shows here, but I especially liked the type of genre that was used for each type of character (depending on the character), like Nate pretty much morphing into The Situation from Jersey Shore, Sara acting like a Real Housewife, Zari 2.0. being more like she was on her own reality show (which clearly is Keeping up with the Kardashian's-like), and Spooner going into full Survivor mode with all the alliances and being naked for no reason.  Plus, Gideon turning on her emotions and accidentally becoming the meddler throughout it all.  Loved it!  Everyone was having fun, but again, I might give MVP to Nick Zano again.  He really does go all out no matter what the situation (he) is.

Still, it was also a good episode for Behrad as well and I liked getting more glimpses behind his "chill" persona and seeing that he has his own issues he is dealing with.  Especially liked him reminding the Legends (and maybe the audience) that he only just recently got killed and that would be something that would stick with him (not to mention that he's the reason Zari 1.0 has to stick around in the totem.)  Glad it's all out in the open now and he also finally admitted his feelings to Astra.  Not surprised she feels the same way somewhat, but I guess it's also not surprising that they want to "take it slow" for now.

Poor Gwyn really is getting a crash course in time-traveling and being a "Legend" here.  It's been great seeing Matt Ryan tackle this type of roles.

Hope we get more of Nate and Zari 2.0.  They were quite fun together and feel like we haven't seen much of that.

Honestly not sure what Sara was apologizing to Ava for and why it was her fault, but I kind of quit caring at this point.  Seems like there is always something going on with Ava that leads to Sara either needed to give her a pep talk or humble herself to make Ava feel worthy of being the "co-captain."  It's just exhausting at this point.

So, now Gideon is "following her gut" and believes that the next course of action should be... possibly preventing World War I from happening?!

• Love 3
10 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Behard is dealing with a lot of unprocessed issues. Yeah, he died and came back, someone should probably make sure he's doing alright with all that.

Sara is the most experienced in this department. She's died and came back in her own body twice, and also came back in a totally different clone-alien hybrid body. Seriously though, the writers just dropped the storyline about Behrad and Sara being close friends. They've not had any one on one talks ever since that premiere episode. It would be nice to also hear more about Sara's unprocessed issues since she's never really talked about them on Legends, as it's always "Ava, Ava, Ava" with her.

• Love 2

This was a really fun episode, probably my favourite of this season so far.  Loved the send up of the reality shows, especially the quick confessional clips where in typical reality show fashion, they complain about things.

It was good seeing the "real" Legends after the episode last week with the robot versions.

21 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Of course Sara had to be the one to apologize even though she and Ava both got mad,

21 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Honestly not sure what Sara was apologizing to Ava for and why it was her fault, but I kind of quit caring at this point.  Seems like there is always something going on with Ava that leads to Sara either needed to give her a pep talk or humble herself to make Ava feel worthy of being the "co-captain."  It's just exhausting at this point.

Sara has been dismissing most of Ava's concerns about how their actions can affect the timeline all season and she did it again with the promise she made to Gwyn.

Having your opinions mostly ignored while being expected to clean up messes because you're the 'responsible one' would make anyone mad.

• Love 1

Is it because I don’t watch reality shows that this episode made no sense to me whatsoever? Had it not been for Behrad, this would have been an hour of my life I could never get back. Disappointing after last week’s fun.

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 1