Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Admit It, You're a Gold Digger!

• Start Topic

Things get messy when the ladies go digging for gold – literally. Winners of the gold-digging competition receive some coveted one-on-one time with Steven and Kurt.

Original air date: Jan 13 2022

Okay, I’m used to the “vulnerable sob story” on the first date from watching the Bachelor. And I never imagined anything would beat Catherine on Sean’s season’s deadpan delivery of how a tree fell on her childhood friend, but I have to admit, I never saw Jennie’s “I was a victim of sex trafficking” coming.

It was bad enough that Carolyn told Kurt that she “wants him to talk to the other girls so when you choose me there won’t be any lingering questions,” but, okay, that was pretty bold and maybe he would think that’s hot. But then she told the exact same thing to the other women?! Yikes! That was cold blooded. If she were on The Bachelor, “thems would be fighting words” and she’d be the show villain. But on this show, all of the other girls are like, “Well, we wouldn’t even dream of talking to your man, bestie! He adores you!”

Edited by JenE4
  • Love 4

Is it just me or does Steven think he’s all that and the head guy?   It isn’t just the women who care about the money.  

As for Jenny…wow.  Just wow!   Wonder if that’s why she became an attorney?

And after the date, idiot Steven says he can’t imagine a better first date?

Edited by DEL901
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

This show makes 90-Day Fiance look like Shakespeare. 

Fifteen women is too much for viewers to keep track of. Start with max of eight. 

Carolyn is, as my Gram would say, a cold article...with cutthroat ambition and an inflated ego. Auditioning for more reality TV. This dude (Kurt) won't know what hit him until he wakes up married to or living with her, and she wears the pants and dictating The Life Plan. (She reminds me of Meghan Markle.) I don't think he's enough of a beta guy to ultimately be okay with that. And I doubt she won't have one eye open for another guy with MORE money, when she finds out, including to expand her business. 

The other seems nice enough and down to earth. More of a man's man. Boyish and bro-ish. His look overall wouldn't be for me. Actually I don't care for either of them sucking the face off of one woman after another, on a first or second time they've talked a bit. Ick.

The sex trafficking revelation could have waited awhile. 

Why do so many of these ladies go for the Barbie look? Bleached blonde (full or part), spray tans, overfull lips (injected?), and I bet cosmetic surgery and implants. Screaming like some of the women on Pillow Talk (90-Day) who think they're at a 6th-grade slumber party.   

Edited by Tuneful
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, Tuneful said:

The sex trafficking revelation could have waited awhile. 

Agreed and did I catch that she got a huge cash settlement making her near Steven's wealth level? Or was I too engrossed in my video game and heard wrong?

Edited by EllaWycliffe
  • Love 4
20 minutes ago, JenE4 said:

Okay, I’m used to the “vulnerable sob story” on the first date from watching the Bachelor. And I never imagined anything would beat Catherine on Sean’s season’s deadpan delivery of how a tree fell on her childhood friend, but I have to admit, I never saw Jennie’s “I was a victim of sex trafficking” coming.

Steven was visibly shocked and we could almost see him floored and trying to wrap his head around it. It was good she went a bit into the story of the trial because I felt that he needed the extra minute to process and compose a response. That's quite a lot for a first date.

I did enjoy this episode more than the first - I think because there was less overall drama. I really don't like Sarah Rose as I feel like a lot of the drama seems to stem from her, and one other girl whose name I cannot recall.

I watched the original when it aired, at the age of 12, and loved it, but otherwise have not watched any other dating shows. It is such a different experience watching now nearly 20 years later.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, EllaWycliffe said:

Agreed and did I catch that she got a huge cash settlement making her near Steven's wealth level? Or was I too engrossed in my video game and heard wrong?

She said she won her case and got a $13 million judgment.  She also mentioned winning a $13 million judgment in the first episode, but it was in the context of telling us that she's an attorney (and part-time bottle service girl) so it didn't make sense to me then why she was acting like it was her money.  

Edited by TazDevil
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, TazDevil said:

She said she won her case and got a $13 million judgment.  She also mentioned winning a $13 million judgment in the first episode, but it was in the context of telling us that she's an attorney (and part-time bottle service girl) so it didn't make sense to me then why she was acting like it was her money. 

I suppose I am confused then why she was doing bottle service part time. Sounds like she is loaded and has opportunity to make more with the legal degree. Why dress sexy and serve alcohol for tips? Why is she impressed with ten million dollars?

Steven strikes me as a shallow ass. I will be surprised if he keeps Jennie after this week, he strikes me as smart enough to understand dumping the sex traffic victim as soon as she mentions it might look asshole. Also tired of the "I'm a great big hillbilly, we aint got no use fer opera and high faluting things" schtick. We get it, you're a farm boy who wants a farm life. 

Kurt seems ok. I sense he won't stick with Caroline. Caroline feels like a petty bitch who enjoys being the current favorite a little too much. And call me crazy - I think she won't be pleased if she finds out she picked the poor Joe. 

• Love 3

Carolyn mentioned "He's rich" as a reason to be into Kurt.  Those women are right, she IS a gold digger!

I figured out who Sara Rose reminded me of!  Ariana Grande!  No wonder I was looking favourably upon her against my will.  They must have the exact same plastic surgeon!

8 hours ago, Blueberry Snobal said:

ust because she got a judgment for 13 million doesn’t mean she took home 13 million.

I mean, sure, but this is the second time she's mentioned *she* received a 13 million dollar judgement. I'm thinking a) she got a decent portion of it and b) she wants the rich guy to know she has her own wealth. 

ETA the more I consider this the more I think this was good game play. She revealed her tragedy, but privately so the other bitches can't gossip, and she reveals her wealth, so the guys know she's not looking for a rich husband.

Edited by EllaWycliffe
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, Blueberry Snobal said:

Just because she got a judgment for 13 million doesn’t mean she took home 13 million. And who is the judgment against? Very few individuals could pay that kind of judgment. Maybe a corporation. I really don’t understand her story and I listened to it twice.

She may not have gotten $13 million outright, but the guy with a net worth of $10 million doesn’t have that in cash either. I’d wager that a big ol’ chunk of that is in very illiquid assets.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
49 minutes ago, Amy Beth said:

She may not have gotten $13 million outright, but the guy with a net worth of $10 million doesn’t have that in cash either. I’d wager that a big ol’ chunk of that is in very illiquid assets.

I’ve watched enough Yellowstone to know that a rancher’s wealth is tied up in their property value and livestock. 😉 Doesn’t sound like Steven has ever really left his very small town. He’s not exactly living the high life. Either way, these girls are being set up for a disappointing bait and switch if they think either one of these guys are going to provide a life of mansions, cotillions, and operas. Whoever “wins” the heart of the wealthy one is going to be sorely disappointed when they realize they’ve moving out to Bumblefuck, USA and shoveling cow manure all day; maybe if they’re lucky they can help out in the family car wash. Honestly, they’d probably have more of the high life with the “poor” one, as Kurt talks about traveling and enjoying life with whatever amount of money he has. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 7

Mansions may be a dream, but none of these women seem the cotillon and opera sorts. One thing I liked with the old Joe show and the new was the whole idea of what people perceive millionaires live like versus how rich people actually live. These women should read The Millionaire Next Door.

Steve does come off very small town.... has it been mentioned if he went to college at all?

Oh, no.  You mean they're only going to cull one of these vapid lip-balloons per episode??  I don't have time for this level of nonsense.  Call me when they're down to the last four or five.

(And maybe by that time it won't take five minutes to dramatically intone the name--pause--of each woman--pause--who's staying.)

This show makes me grouchy.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, candall said:

Oh, no.  You mean they're only going to cull one of these vapid lip-balloons per episode??  I don't have time for this level of nonsense.  Call me when they're down to the last four or five.

Candall, did you see one of the women knitting while Martin was explaining about the gold-panning date? Even SHE is bored with the show!😏

• Useful 1
  • LOL 7
16 hours ago, candall said:

(And maybe by that time it won't take five minutes to dramatically intone the name--pause--of each woman--pause--who's staying.)

This show makes me grouchy.

I think that may be to get the numbers back aligned after 3 w3nt home the first week because that one woman already knew Steven.  

• Useful 2
On 1/15/2022 at 11:12 PM, HerkyJerky said:

did you see one of the women knitting while Martin was explaining about the gold-panning date?

That girl is trying so hard to be "quirky" when she doesn't have to.  She just is.  I don't see either guy ever being interested in her.

I don't care for Caroline.  Is she really so cute as to warrant this attention?  She comes off as bossy and I think she is a gold digger.  I'm hoping that she came out of the gate strong but that Kurt will ultimately turn his attentions elsewhere.  I also can't tell who is the bad kisser between these two but....yuck.  But I'm thinking it's her.

Annie is my favorite and seems way too normal and cute to be on this trainwreck.  I think she was genuinely let down when she found out she wasn't the only one that Steven had kissed!

Speaking of, can we please get Miss Dress Thief, drunk, drama queen that Steven kissed first, out of the house?  That kiss was so cringey I had to cover my eyes. 

Steven is a really smooth talker and I think that's part of why he grates on me.  Kurt is more awkward and genuine, which makes him more likeable, in my opinion.  

On 1/14/2022 at 9:25 AM, JenE4 said:

Honestly, they’d probably have more of the high life with the “poor” one, as Kurt talks about traveling and enjoying life with whatever amount of money he has. 

Agreed. 

The other girl who caught Kurt's attention, I think her name is Amanda?  I believe she may have a swim or clothing line?  She looks like Kristin Cavallari's homelier sister.

Count me in with those who are finding this entertaining!

• Love 3

I really, really want Kurt to be richer than Steven, not just because of the women….you just know at some point it will come out that Steven is rich and some will dump Kurt….but because of Steven and the way it is clear from his behaviour that he feels superior to Kurt and is in charge.  

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, Kiki620 said:

I don't care for Caroline.  Is she really so cute as to warrant this attention? 

YES!!! (This is only in regards to her looks.  The jury is still out on the other things you mentioned😏)

9 hours ago, Kiki620 said:

Speaking of, can we please get Miss Dress Thief, drunk, drama queen that Steven kissed first, out of the house?  That kiss was so cringey I had to cover my eyes. 

I've probably wants Unreal too many times but this one isn't a "Wifey" so she won't win, but she'll linger because she gives good drama.

9 hours ago, Kiki620 said:

I don't care for Caroline.  Is she really so cute as to warrant this attention?  She comes off as bossy and I think she is a gold digger.  I'm hoping that she came out of the gate strong but that Kurt will ultimately turn his attentions elsewhere.  I also can't tell who is the bad kisser between these two but....yuck.  But I'm thinking it's her.

She's not ugly, but I have to be honest, none of these women really pop as stunning beauties. She's pushing the kid thing too hard. I do get the impression that a kid is a turn off to Kurt. She is a gold digger and covering with it being all about providing for her kid. 

9 hours ago, DEL901 said:

I really, really want Kurt to be richer than Steven, not just because of the women….you just know at some point it will come out that Steven is rich and some will dump Kurt….but because of Steven and the way it is clear from his behaviour that he feels superior to Kurt and is in charge.  

Steven seems to be liking the power he has over the girls and that makes him a bit unlikeable to me. Part of why I think Kurt likely does have money is that Kurt seems amused by Steven's brag remarks. I do think some of Kurt's amusement is simply that Steven seems a lot like a high school kid who has never dated a hot chick before.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, EllaWycliffe said:

Steven seems to be liking the power he has over the girls and that makes him a bit unlikeable to me. Part of why I think Kurt likely does have money is that Kurt seems amused by Steven's brag remarks. I do think some of Kurt's amusement is simply that Steven seems a lot like a high school kid who has never dated a hot chick before.

I think this is a pretty good assessment on Steven. But I’ll add that I don’t think Kurt is more chill because he secretly has money but rather that he has no problem “dating hot chicks” in the real world. Kurt has the looks and swagger—and hell even the opportunity being in a big city vs a small town—that Steven doesn’t, despite his advertising on social media showing off his helecopter and whatnot.

• Love 2

Here’s something that might be a dealbreaker for at least some of the women:

Steven is very much into hunting. It’s one of the services listed on his business’ web site and he personally has participated in some trophy hunts, at least one where he killed a zebra.

48 minutes ago, Amy Beth said:

Here’s something that might be a dealbreaker for at least some of the women:

Steven is very much into hunting. It’s one of the services listed on his business’ web site and he personally has participated in some trophy hunts, at least one where he killed a zebra.

Whelp….he’s dead to me now.   Hunting for food…not my thing, but I don’t judge.  Hunting for trophies = AH.   YMMV

• Love 6
On 1/13/2022 at 8:50 PM, TazDevil said:

She went from being exploited in trafficking to exploiting herself with bottle service.  

On 1/13/2022 at 9:18 PM, EllaWycliffe said:

Caroline feels like a petty bitch who enjoys being the current favorite a little too much.

I find her average looking, so not sure why she has such a high opinion of herself.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, EllaWycliffe said:

She is a gold digger and covering with it being all about providing for her kid. 

Do kids really need a millionaire dad?  They are probably fine with middle class parents who treat them well.  The spoiled ones don’t turn out well.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

I find her average looking, so not sure why she has such a high opinion of herself.

I am going to say something terribly judgemental. Looks wise, she's pretty enough. My "If I was a guy I'd never date her" is the ex who she had a baby with and who she insists will be a part of her son's life. Don't get me wrong, I think its admirable on the guy's part to not run away etc but the ex will always be in the picture in this situation and the son will have difficulty dealing with the two dads... especially if stepdad does have money. Th

4 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

Do kids really need a millionaire dad?  They are probably fine with middle class parents who treat them well.  The spoiled ones don’t turn out well.

No, but lets not kid ourselves. My middle class parents would have loved to have treated me to nicer clothes, actual vacations and maybe more help for college than 100 dollars for books. Can't fault her for wanted better for the kid but I question how much she'll like Kurt if he's revealed as not rich. 

• Love 3

For those who are interested both Steven and Kurt were interviewed on the Reality Steve podcast last week for about 30 minutes total. It’s the second half so you can skip the early topics.  He will have Jennie on to discuss the trafficking tomorrow.

Edited by MrBuhBye
  • Love 1