Type keyword(s) to search

S47.E10: Ariana DeBose / Bleachers

• Start Topic

19 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I thought that was part of the joke. Is Kate actually known as a singer?  I know some other cast members are, but I don’t remember that about Kate. 

Kate can sing, although I'm not sure how much. She and Mikey Day sing the theme song to "Switcheroo."

8 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Honestly, the WU Elmo bit would have worked just as well if they had the REAL Elmo on. Kind of disappointed they didn’t, it would have been hilarious!

I'm not sure if Sesame Street would have gone along, but I think just having a puppet like Elmo, maybe named "Melmo" or something, could have worked. Unless you are just extremely likeable and effervescent, like Gilda Radner, it's difficult to just have a human up there and not come off as cloying and cashing in on a headline.

18 hours ago, vb68 said:

Andrew Dismukes is Cajun and from Texas. There you go. I think it's a safe assumption he had a hand in writing it if he didn't write the whole thing by himself.

Andrew wrote it with Billy Domineau and James Austin Johnson. Johnson said he based it on all the years he went to eat at Longhorn.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CYzPLPStjFT/

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Honestly, the WU Elmo bit would have worked just as well if they had the REAL Elmo on. Kind of disappointed they didn’t, it would have been hilarious!

Oh, same! I got a little excited when they introduced "Elmo"... and then it was someone in a costume. I mean, Muppets have been on the show before, even Big Bird. The segment was still funny though.

• Love 2
On 1/16/2022 at 2:28 AM, TakomaSnark said:

Not sure. The SNL Standby Line didn't have any info either.

Maybe, Aidy And Punkie Are Afraid OF Getting The Corona Virus ! I Don't Think Melissa Was There Either So Maybe She Is Absent For The Same Reason ! ! ! 

Given that I had no idea who either the host or the guest were going in, this was a surprisingly good show.

On 1/16/2022 at 1:01 AM, Galileo908 said:

Cold Open: Hey, we actually have a show this week! Yeah, my first Covid scare happened after I saw Spider-Man. Sadly, I tested positive earlier today, and NOT after seeing Spider-Man. (thankfully it's mild and felt like a cold. Thanks, booster!) 

I guess I'm safe from covid since I have absolutely no interest in ever seeing any Spiderman movie.  It was okay, although I did laugh out loud at the response to "How do I know if I have covid?" being "Do you have a ticket for Spiderman in your hand?".

• Love 1

I was cringing during the Elmo sketch.

Since Alec Baldin started doing Trump I found that they were not really writing a script anymore they were just relying on the impression to provide the humour. They failed and as a result I won't watch anymore political sketches. I am probably missing a few gems but overall I don't find them funny anymore.

Elmo reminded my of a sketch where the main tool for humour is the impression and not the writing. They failed.

• Love 1

I really liked the CO even though it went on a bit much.  The studio audience seemed to be loving it.  Someone stifled a shriek of laughter.

Can Kate sing?  Have people already forgotten this?

However, the monologue duet wasn't very good to me.  They weren't trying to be funny-- just a mugging musical circle-jerk.

WU is so much better when Che doesn't laugh at his own jokes.

Was it me or does the Bleachers lead singer look like the comedian Mark Normand?  Where was the fist pump?

• Love 1
On 1/19/2022 at 9:10 PM, juno said:

I was cringing during the Elmo sketch.

Since Alec Baldin started doing Trump I found that they were not really writing a script anymore they were just relying on the impression to provide the humour. They failed and as a result I won't watch anymore political sketches. I am probably missing a few gems but overall I don't find them funny anymore.

Elmo reminded my of a sketch where the main tool for humour is the impression and not the writing. They failed.

You aren't missing much - although I think the political sketches have had big problems long before Baldwin. I will say James Austin Johnson does try much more at developing a character and committing to it than most political impressionists on the show in recent years, but the writing is still shaky, at best.

Before I forget I wanted to put the behind the scenes videos and photos DeBose took of her time at the show, including a look at her right before she walked out on stage, which is always fascinating to see. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CY9fzfyrDj0/

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

You aren't missing much - although I think the political sketches have had big problems long before Baldwin. I will say James Austin Johnson does try much more at developing a character and committing to it than most political impressionists on the show in recent years, but the writing is still shaky, at best.

I do like Johnson's take on Biden - not so much senile (which WU relies a bit too much on), but just an affably befuddled guy who gets fixated on random things and earnestly runs with them, e.g. Spider-Man in this episode, and trains in an earlier one. It allows SNL to be critical of him but also make him actually funny and a character that's fun to watch (for me at least).

You know who can sing and as the first Latina cast member would have been a good match for the first Latina host of the season? Melissa. Check out her song "California." Okay, so I admit to being one of her fangirls but it annoys me that she got about 10 seconds and I had to endure Chloe in at least four skits. Since Melissa was Elmo in the brilliant "The Grouch" that I've watched countless times--they nailed the Bert and Ernie voices!--I got my hopes up they were bringing Elmo on WU. Nope, Chloe, again.

I can't remember an episode in the recent past that I FFed through the vast majority of like I did this one. Sometimes WU is the only thing that gets laughs out of me and this was definitely the case. Looking forward to Will Forte tonight who, although I did like him on SNL (especially as Tim Calhoun), completely won me over in the movie "Nebraska."

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 1/16/2022 at 12:01 AM, Galileo908 said:

Cold Open: Hey, we actually have a show this week! Yeah, my first Covid scare happened after I saw Spider-Man. Sadly, I tested positive earlier today, and NOT after seeing Spider-Man. (thankfully it's mild and felt like a cold. Thanks, booster!) This kida fell flat, even with Pete as Cool!Joe Biden.

Monologue: I like her already. And it's been a while since we had a cast member in the monologue. 

NBA TNT: Was dying at Tall Bowen Yang as Yao Ming. (I realized he was just standing). I did like the premise that one of the teams were out sick and were replaced by regular people and were getting their asses kicked. Pretty meh.

Urkel: Yes! I knew that this sketch was inevitable. A gritty 90s sitcom reboot that takes out the charm and fun of the original. But somehow made it better.

Ron and Donna Lacosta's Formal Emporium: Yep, this gave me flashbacks to prom, right down to "Get Low." I love sketches that bring out the exaggerated Long Island accents (being one myself), and I like that a lot of the sketch focused on Donovan. "A kid with a huge computer and two ugly friends." Stop attacking me, show. 

Eric Adams: Chris Redd as Eric Adams! I gotta say he nailed that impression so well. I have the feeling that this was the ORIGINAL cold open and went with the Biden one first instead. Eric Adams isn't nearly as cool as this sketch made him look. He sucks, and in a different way than DeBlasio was, which this sketch thankfully highlighted.

The sound mixing was awful on that first Bleachers song. Which was a shame, since it looked like they were having fun on the stage.

WU: I missed these guys. Giving absolutely zero shits this week was solely needed. I was not expecting them to cover those great clips of Elmo getting mad at Rocco. Chloe's Elmo sounded more like Baby Miss Piggy than Elmo, but I was still dying at that bit. I just loved the absurdity of Rocco doing double duty next month.

Sound of Music: This was fun. I was not expecting as many Simpsons references in this. Ariana has a great voice, and so does Kenan.

Sappho: This was a fun one. 

Longhorn Steakhouse: What IS up with "LER"? It took me too long to realize EVERYONE spoke with weird accents. Like...right around when the sketch ended and I couldn't understand a word anyone was saying.

All in all, an okay episode! Ariana DeBose was fun with what she was given, I hope she comes back. And we get WILL FORTE next week!

I Only Figured This Out AT The End, But, I Think Heidi Was Saying LER For LOVE ! I Thought This Because They Said LER And PEACE So I Think They Were Saying LOVE AND PEACE ! Also, Was Pete Doing An Impression OF Some Body ? IF So, Then, Who Was Pete Supposed To Be Doing Because That Was NOT Pete's Voice And That Voice Sounded Familiar To Me ! 

On 1/16/2022 at 12:13 AM, vb68 said:

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that! Please take care of yourself.

It was an okay episode. It felt a little low-key, which is probably to be expected. But it's very noticeable that without Cecily and Aidy both that the energy level does suffer.

Love Ariana. I only wish she could have done the whole song of America. I love it so much. 

I enjoyed the Bleachers' first song. Good beat.

An Update was great. Honestly I think that's one of the very best things Chloe has ever done on the show.

Then, You Will Probably Not Like Saturday Night Live Next Season IF Cecily, Aidy And Kate And Other People Leave The Show ! IT Won't Feel The Same To Me Either ! THANK YOU ! When This Originally Came on, EVERY BODY Complained About The Music And Hated The Musical Group ! I LOVED The First Song Also ! The First Song Also Had The Great Guitar Playing OF The Lead Singer ! Also, I Like The Competing That The Lead Singer Did With The Saxophone Player And The Lead Singer Did With That Girl Guitar Player ! Also, I LOVED The Saxophones and The Saxophone Players ! Most OF The Time, I Usually Don't Care For These Comments And Characters On Week End Update ! ! They Get On My Nerves Except for Jeanine Pirro With Cecily And Colin And She Spills Things On Him ! Also, I Liked Adam And Keven Nealon ! I Also Like Chevy And Gilda And Jane And Gilda And Jane And Belushi And Jane And Dan ! ! ! ! ! 

On 1/16/2022 at 4:58 AM, Pete Martell said:

I echo the thoughts about the show not knowing how to use Ariana DeBose - I think people who are double or triple threats are more  challenging to write for. Based on the promo and some of her interviews I thought she might not quite work in the show's format, but overall she was natural and easy to enjoy, particularly when she got some material in the back half of the episode. I never needed to see another Sound of Music revival, but she certainly nailed the singing and dancing, and the comedy too. She and Kate also worked well together in the lesbian sketch...Kate has had so many of these sketches I am almost immune to them, but this one had some good lines and a few laughs. (my favorite was probably Mikey asking people not to pronounce the f-word discovery in the wrong way). The monologue was a low point for me, due to Kate's mugging and upstaging. 

I liked the idea of the cold open, but it went on and on and the stuff with Pete as another Biden felt like they didn't know how to end it.

I'm sorry, but I just don't get much enjoyment out of watching Chloe, and this Elmo thing didn't help. There wasn't even much humor, just a very cutesy recreation of Sesame Street scenes from clips that went viral over a week ago. The whole thing felt kind of desperate, chasing old headlines.

I still think Sarah needs more material that doesn't involve shouting at the camera in a funny voice, but I enjoyed the prom sketch with Adam Sandler Pete, Sarah, and Andrew. Pete worked much better with them than I would have expected considering how isolated he often seems, and the whole thing was just cringey fun. Andrew is becoming a real strength any  time he gets a chance, even when he's just being humiliated over and over. His crazy dancing with Pete and Pete blocking his shot while  Sarah walked all the way up to the camera to shout, "We don't have a website! We barely have a phone!" gave me a laugh.

I also really enjoyed that kitchen sketch. I know people have interpreted it as anti-Southern, but Andrew is from Texas so I don't think that was the idea. I just took it as a lot of ridiculous, stupid nonsense done in a frenzy, which can be very funny (like "aw man I'm all outta cash" or the old Simma Dawn Nah sketches with Cheri Oteri). Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves (that was the most fun I've seen Alex Moffat have in a long time) and it was a good way to end the night. 

I liked the NBA sketch, but I kept thinking, as I did most of the night, it could have been shorter.

Anyway, I'm hoping for the best with Will Forte next week. 

Alison Gates and Streeter Seidell are new headwriters, in the wake of Anna Drezen leaving.

I Thought They Did Pretty Good Using Ariana ! Okay, Adam Sandler ! I KNEW I Had Heard That Voice Before ! Also, I Did Not Know Pete Could Do Joe Biden ! I Remember Them Doing With I Think John Mulaney Where The Sound OF Music And Rolf Kept Getting Older And Older Where Lisl Was Too Young For Him ! I Did NOT Like Chloe Doing Baby Elmo Either ! That Voice And Going On About Rocco Got On My Nerves ! ! I Also Thought The NBA Was Getting To Be Too Long ! 

On 1/16/2022 at 7:21 AM, ottoDbusdriver said:

Did Ariana say that "2020 has already been an exciting year" in the monologue ?

Never heard of Bleachers before, but that first song was awesome.  Loved the energy !  Loved the saxophones !
And no one had to wear a stupid Fiji water bottle costume (looking at you Kanye).

The vocals mix was still terrible -- when are they going to hire an audio person that knows what they are doing ?

THANK YOU ! Some Body Else Who LOVED The Saxophones ! A Couple OF Weeks Ago, I Played An Imaginary Saxophone And Was Doing Chorography Where I Went From Side To Side Playing The Imaginary Saxophone ! ! 

On 1/17/2022 at 11:18 AM, Pete Martell said:

Kate can sing, although I'm not sure how much. She and Mikey Day sing the theme song to "Switcheroo."

I'm not sure if Sesame Street would have gone along, but I think just having a puppet like Elmo, maybe named "Melmo" or something, could have worked. Unless you are just extremely likeable and effervescent, like Gilda Radner, it's difficult to just have a human up there and not come off as cloying and cashing in on a headline.

Andrew wrote it with Billy Domineau and James Austin Johnson. Johnson said he based it on all the years he went to eat at Longhorn.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CYzPLPStjFT/

I Think Kate CAN Sing Because One Time She Was Being Hillary And She Sang The Song Hallelujah And Was Being Serious AT That Time !