Type keyword(s) to search

The Process: Auditions, Training Camp and Squad

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, HitItHarder..BAM said:

Lisa & Victoria would have to start auditions with rookie hopefuls in the traditional/in-person audition format. 

I thought the same rules applied for virtual auditions since they each took a year off 

Pretty sure they will get to enter the tryout process with other veterans but we won’t really know anything until we see something posted 

2 hours ago, Holly85 said:

Pretty sure they will get to enter the tryout process with other veterans but we won’t really know anything until we see something posted 

I am sure you are correct.  They both were on an approved leave of absence, so they are still considered vets.  

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, Orangetaxi said:

I am sure you are correct.  They both were on an approved leave of absence, so they are still considered vets.  

Veterans have now entered the process vets had to send in videos starting today 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Holly85 said:

Your correct 

The only thing that puzzles me is the day CMT announced this, the Dallas papers and TV said that they were in negotiations with other platforms, so it makes me think this was not a surprise to DCC.

25 minutes ago, Orangetaxi said:

The only thing that puzzles me is the day CMT announced this, the Dallas papers and TV said that they were in negotiations with other platforms, so it makes me think this was not a surprise to DCC.

The Texas Monthly article came out on a Thursday, and it said the crew had been informed earlier that week. As far as I know the article was the first the public was made aware.  The author contacted Kelli but didn’t get a response, so they knew the news was coming out. I don’t think CMT ever released anything. 

2 hours ago, Orangetaxi said:

An approved leave of absence? The season was over, they weren’t employed any longer, or on the roster for the 21-22 team. That’s not the correct term….

They certainly haven’t clarified how they treat returning vets that taken a break since they moved to online auditions. Personally, I feel like they should start at step one since that had been the precedence over the years, but TPTB will do what they want.

• Love 10
20 minutes ago, StellaCL said:

An approved leave of absence? The season was over, they weren’t employed any longer, or on the roster for the 21-22 team. That’s not the correct term….

They certainly haven’t clarified how they treat returning vets that taken a break since they moved to online auditions. Personally, I feel like they should start at step one since that had been the precedence over the years, but TPTB will do what they want.

To me a leave of absence would be like we aren’t going to put anyone in those posts 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, StellaCL said:

I agree. A leave of absence only applies to a current employee, or person under contract. 

I remember in years past former DCCs that took a year off would have to start at pre-Lims or semis. They did not go straight to finals.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Holly85 said:

BDAE87F1-26C6-47F3-BD1C-C102D255C4AC.jpeg

E5446B54-11E9-4F4B-A24F-8ACBFFEA64C0.jpeg

For a second I thought it was Taylor (Me Too) I hate to reference her that way but I can't remember if she was Taylor J or if that is retiring Taylor...

• Love 3
17 hours ago, go4luca said:

Not trying to be mean but I find she photographs old in many of her photos.

The photos where she is not grinning are much more youthful, and prettier.  Also, I think it is the red lipstick that ages her.

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, Christineelgene said:

The photos where she is not grinning are much more youthful, and prettier.  Also, I think it is the red lipstick that ages her.

She doesn't have a grin quite the same but she reminded me of Chandler with that grin. 

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/14/2022 at 3:32 PM, go4luca said:

Not trying to be mean but I find she photographs old in many of her photos.

She’s obviously talented but I’ll agree after looking through her pix I don’t see it. Some of the pix give me “grandma vibes” I say that bc I can totally hear them saying she photographs that way…

Edited by TB12
  • Love 2
36 minutes ago, PepperM said:

Courtney has been taking class virtually from Jenn, but looks like she’s gone to the Rams rather than the Cowboys. 

E6512CBE-43CB-44E7-AAD4-D5BAB4C667AC.jpeg

Yeah just bc people take Jen’s classes don’t mean they are going to audtion for dcc 

• Useful 1
49 minutes ago, Holly85 said:

Yeah just bc people take Jen’s classes don’t mean they are going to audtion for dcc 

I know, I just keep an eye on all of them since we never know really what team they’re auditioning for unless they say. Just crossing her off my list is all. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
14 hours ago, Holly85 said:

Does anyone have a flavour of how many girls tried out in the first round?. 2020 was supposed to have been about 1500 with everywhere else closing due to covid. Last year that dropped to about 600 as things opened up again. The fact that so few veterans retired this year, making places more difficult, may have impacted numbers again.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
50 minutes ago, cgloss said:

Tyra posted about her audition taping with vets: 

I love seeing the Vet side of re-auditioning and seeing them interact with each other! 

• Love 9
1 minute ago, StellaCL said:

That's too bad. "Temporarily leaving." I wonder if she will really audition again, though. 

There is always a 1 and done every single year.... either through rookie retirement, or cuts when re-auditioning. When was the last time all rookies chose to re-audition and all of them made the team?

Anything can happen in a year especially if she plans to move to her home state to recover 

• Love 2
On 5/14/2022 at 6:12 AM, GonnahearmeRoar said:

I don’t have an issue with a one year LOA. More  than that would be too much time away.  

While I see your point, there’s the fact that they’d have to come back with a perfect DCC-body (not easy!) a great stamina and with their dancing being up to par. a lot can happen, even in 1 year… In short; they need to be as good, if not better, as when they left. That’s a lot to ask.  I’m especially concerned for those who skipped a year on medical grounds. A good recovery needs time, which means less time to be in perfect shape for audition.Add to that the fierce competition. The candidates seem to becoming more talented and experienced every year.

The returning vets have been dancing almost until the new auditions start, so Kelli and Judy know they’ll be good enough to at least make it till finals and very likely the new squad. They won’t  know this about a vet that’s returning from LOA. So, from that point of view, I think it’s good to have them start from the beginning. If they’re still as good, they’ll pass those tests with flying colours.

• Love 7

So sad for her. I'm no athlete so I don't know what she's going through but it must be hard for her.

At least she was able to go to the swim shoot and be on the calendar.

• Love 9
8 hours ago, LilyD said:

While I see your point, there’s the fact that they’d have to come back with a perfect DCC-body (not easy!) a great stamina and with their dancing being up to par. a lot can happen, even in 1 year… In short; they need to be as good, if not better, as when they left. That’s a lot to ask.  I’m especially concerned for those who skipped a year on medical grounds. A good recovery needs time, which means less time to be in perfect shape for audition.Add to that the fierce competition. The candidates seem to becoming more talented and experienced every year.

The returning vets have been dancing almost until the new auditions start, so Kelli and Judy know they’ll be good enough to at least make it till finals and very likely the new squad. They won’t  know this about a vet that’s returning from LOA. So, from that point of view, I think it’s good to have them start from the beginning. If they’re still as good, they’ll pass those tests with flying colours.

Gina managed it but the comments she got pointed to her being exceptional rather than the rule. Fingers crossed but 12 months is a long time for life to intervene.

26 minutes ago, PomPomPom said:

Gina managed it but the comments she got pointed to her being exceptional rather than the rule. Fingers crossed but 12 months is a long time for life to intervene.

But Gina didn't take a whole year off, did she? Iirc, she did camp, was selected, did a few performances and then had to temporarily resign because of her injury. She was ready to audition again in May, so that's significantly different from a situation like Lisa's or even Victoria's. Both really took a full year off and didn't go through the audition process at all, whereas Gina did, was selected and in the end only was about 6 months off (I think)

I remember the board exploding because rookie Victoria was moved to a pretty prominent "vet" place on the side of the triangle instead of more deserving veterans when Gina had to pull out....

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, LilyD said:

Gina didn't take a whole year off, did she? Iirc, she did camp, was selected, did a few performances and then had to temporarily resign because of her injury. She was ready to audition again in May, so that's significantly different from a situation like Lisa's or even Victoria's

I think that was the point, that Gina was an exception rather than the rule.

4 hours ago, ByTor said:

Or Gina was the exception in her recovery.  She was determined to recover and worked through a ton of pain to get back in condition and come back as strong as she did.  Having gone through knee surgery I remain in awe of her recovery.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, go4luca said:
5 hours ago, ByTor said:

Or Gina was the exception in her recovery. 

That's what I meant 😁

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Omeletsmom said:

Can somebody tell me who this is?  I can't get Insta to open it (yes, I am logged on; the app comes up, but the post does not open.)

Amber L she was a rookie this past season she pulled out of auditions due to having surgery 

• Love 3
(edited)
11 hours ago, ByTor said:

Ok you got me confused now… or maybe it’s a language-mix up-thingy?? As in me being the ignorant foreigner here😉
Not trying to be in the right, just genuinely trying to figure out where my logic and knowledge of your language abandoned me…☺️☺️☺️

If you’re an exception to the rule, you’d have to be in the same situation, right? How else can you be an exception to set rules? I fail to see how Gina’s situation can be compared to Lisa’s or Victoria’s for example? Those two pulled out before the new season, never reauditioned and thus formally did not make the new squad. Gina went through auditions, camp, formally made the team, performed and then pulled out on medical grounds. That makes her an ordinary veteran who just did not complete the entire season.  That’s entirely different from two vets that did not return at all for a year and never took part in that DCC season? (And yes, I know we’re not talking about the same year) For me, that indicates two different entry points for audition Gina qualified as a vet because she was in the squad and the other two in prelims because they weren’t in the squad at all.

Right, I’m off to bed, it’s late on my side of the planet and my brain is too tired to let me think this through again and figure it out. My brain has gone AWOL 😂

Edited by LilyD
  • Love 4
On 5/2/2022 at 12:23 PM, StellaCL said:

Auditions are open today. May 2nd - May 10th.
Anyone else wonder why they need 9 days for online submissions? 
I remember it was like this last year as well. Seems strange. A good 3-4 days to get in your application should be enough.

I wonder what a hopefuls stragety is? Submit first to be at the top of the pile? Submit on the last day to be the most memorable? But why 9 days?

Maybe in case someone has tech issues with the online submission?

On 5/3/2022 at 3:23 PM, DCCland said:

Who is retiring?

From what I recall:

Madeline M. 

Erin

Taylor

Lexie

Gina

Kristin

Amber

Just now, Wahoodancer said:

From what I recall:

Madeline M. 

Erin

Taylor

Lexie

Gina

Kristin

Amber

I forgot: Rachel

• Love 2
On 5/17/2022 at 6:29 PM, cgloss said:

Tyra posted about her audition taping with vets: 

Gosh, she’s so pretty. 

I would not have the energy for that make up routine though 🙈

Interesting to see the behind the scenes glimpse, particularly with the other ladies - I enjoyed that. Would be nice to see more of that on the show (if there’s a new channel - take note!)

• Love 7