Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Call Me Forty

• Start Topic

This episode made me happy from the googly eyes on.  I love Oscar.  

But what mother starts with the girlfriend?  Shouldn't she be bringing up these concerns with her son?  And why after only 4 months if he's in his 20s?  I mean, odds are they won't end up married.  He has plenty of time to have a kid. 

• Love 6

I have to admit that while the show is definitely better this season so far, it's still a little lukewarm for me.  Kat's klutziness and social inappropriateness when in socially stressful situations is being handled better, which is good and reminds me more of the original series.  Also Mayim seems to have listened to some of the fan criticism about toning herself down a notch.  It's working better for me but I think the plots are still a little weak.  I'm hanging in there because at least there has been consistent improvement and I love the cast.  One thing we definitely need is more cats.  Oscar is great but somehow I'm not impressed with their chemistry beyond friendship.

• Love 2

Cat Sajak should definitely get an agent, he's clearly a superstar in the making. He really did look like he was plotting something, you know he was on the lookout for keys to push off a table. Some great kitty content this week, possibly to make up for the lack of it last week. 

They really doubled down on Kat's awkwardness when she met Oscar's mom, but I felt really bad for her when Oscar's mom told her she was too old for him. She better apologize a few more times, she was seriously out of line, especially talking to Kat and not Oscar.

Those googly eyes were pretty adorable, Oscar is a real keeper. 

• Love 6

I just love how adult everyone is on this show. Yeah, Oscars mom crossed a lot of lines but Kat handled it really well. Then she actually told Oscar and they had an good conversation that futures their relationship. Kat and Oscar are just so good together. I really appreciate a show that doesn’t needless draw out drama. 

The Max plot wasn’t that good but at least it was also handled quickly and directly.

Cute cat subplots are really the best use of Randi and Phil.

The googly eyes immediately made me think of Miranda’s fruit friends. A really good use of quirk. 

We said we wanted more cats and the show listened :)

I felt bad seeing Kat stumble with meeting the mom, was happy when she hit it off with the mom, and felt incensed when the mom age shamed Kat.  Looks like Mayim's Kat has won me over 

• Love 2

Another ‘Amy/BBT’ homage- the tiara 

And are TPTB trying to walk back Max’s ‘hot guy charming the ladies’ persona by trying to convince us that he now has trouble with women?

And I’m sorry but people who engage in conversation in another language while in the close company of those who don’t understand it is  rude and offensive 

but not as offensive as all the digs on Kats looks-from her mom telling her she doesn’t have an attractive profile  Oscars mom telling her she’s “no Halle Berry”. Wow!  That was just cruel 

Edited by ctlady
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, ctlady said:

And are TPTB trying to walk back Max’s ‘hot guy charming the ladies’ persona by trying to convince us that he now has trouble with women?

No.  Before, he wasn't too invested in having a relationship and he could easily pick up people. Now he has decided he wants a relationship.  I can partially believe he feels a little pressed because Kat, Carter, Phil and Randi are all in relationships or in situations that could develop into relationships.  He's not.  

He could probably get into a relationship if he started as cool and casual as usually does but we saw he reeked of desperation when hitting on women.  That made them want to step away the same way he ran away when the one woman he talked to started talking about marriage and kids.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Door County Cherry said:

No.  Before, he wasn't too invested in having a relationship and he could easily pick up people. Now he has decided he wants a relationship.  I can partially believe he feels a little pressed because Kat, Carter, Phil and Randi are all in relationships or in situations that could develop into relationships.  He's not.  

He could probably get into a relationship if he started as cool and casual as usually does but we saw he reeked of desperation when hitting on women.  That made them want to step away the same way he ran away when the one woman he talked to started talking about marriage and kids.  

It appears that Max has lost his mojo after seeing other people in relationships and being rejected by Kat.  Perhaps he needs a visit from a certain reconsidering French woman to help him out and maybe ignite jealousy in Kat.  Just a plot suggestion, LOL. 😉

• Love 2

I was cringing, too, but I'm not much into physical humor.  

I totally agree with the poster above that said it was refreshing to see people talk things out rather than pile on the misunderstandings and misinformation.  So many comedies are just annoying, not funny, when a few simple words can clear things up.  There can still be humor without that.

I really enjoy this show.

• Love 3
On 1/28/2022 at 6:42 AM, sugarbaker design said:

Cat Sajak!

And on the drama This Is Us this week was Cat Benatar!  Cat Nixon can't be far behind!

I mentioned this in the TIU forum, but once when I was hiking I met a Great Dane whose person told me that the dog's name was Taylor.  As in Taylor Dane.

I really liked the surprise party dancing - at first I thought it was going to be a flash mob.  Perfect gift for Kat.

I also like it that they have the minor part players waving at the end and not just the regular cast members.

Kitties like uncluttered surfaces...

epic-fail-fall.gif

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3

First, the good:  unlike last episode there were hints of classic, sophisticated comedy here.  The birthday dance at the beginning and the ending dance number were gold (and please someone tell me the song at the end).  Kyla Pratt continues to hone her comedic talents, and is well on her way to being a queen of sass.  Julian Gant as Carter is on his way to getting every acting award out there - his acting seems so effortless, so natural in its brilliance.  These two actors are playing their budding relationship just right.  Bravo, in fact, for good writing on this show when it comes to the various couples.

Now, the bad:  the physical comedy (the water spills) just didn't work this time, but then again, that's always a lame comedy bit.  Leslie Jordan is still completely wasted here, and it's a shame.  Cheyenne's character is going nowhere, wandering now into the totally unbelievable story line of being unable to appeal to women.

If the producers and writers can keep mixing Schitt's Creek absurdity into the series, as they did this time, I will keep watching.  The bonus dance scene this episode was a great addition.

I'll close by saying in addition to the MVPs mentioned above, the entire bit at the end between Oscar and Swoosie Kurz from the chest punch to 'I need coffee' to Oscar's big smile as he turns around in his stool, was perfect.