Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

When Abishola finds out Tayo has given Dele a credit card, she worries he's being spoiled and becomes stricter with him. Also, worried she's being too harsh, Bob goes behind Abishola's back to do something special for Dele.

Airdate: 01/03/2022

Aww, Dele can cook. And you know damn well Abishola won't want him to become a chef either. If she doesn't lighten up, she'll probably never see him again.

I can't believe no one has smothered her mother in her sleep. Yet. Beyond unbearable and narcissistic! At least Abishola stood up to her about Bob. At least for a minute.

Aside: I made Jollof Rice for New Year's. Mine would never hold up against Nigerian standards, but it sure was good.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, possibilities said:

I wish the show would post recipes for the food they feature. 

That would be nice and informative/educational. None of these are from CBS, but you can go down a rabbit hole starting here:

FYI: Asterisks are what Dele cooked for the family. Moi moi is what Abishola wanted him to cook every day. Very labor intensive meal! Too bad Abishola, as usual, went off on him.

*Jollof Rice with a really cool video: https://food52.com/recipes/61557-classic-nigerian-jollof-rice Wish I had seen this one before I made mine. Had to circle back around and add a few things! Next time.

Dodo is fried plantains: https://food52.com/recipes/1877-dodo-aka-fried-plantain

*Eguisi soup: https://www.africanbites.com/egusi-soup/

*Moi moi: https://www.yummymedley.com/moi-moi-steamed-black-eyed-peas-pudding/

Ogbono soup (and a Fufu recipe): https://www.africanbites.com/ogbono-soup-pounded-yam/  This is Olu's specialty that Bob loves.

Marcus Samuelsson's PBS show, No Passport Required "Houston" episode is about the Nigerian (+others nearby) population in Houston TX. Plenty of cooking, although you do need their streamer "Passport" (hmm) to watch: https://watch.weta.org/video/houston-f8qe5e/  Recipe for Yam (not a sweet potato) Fufu does not require "Passport" (hee!): https://www.pbs.org/food/recipes/yam-fufu/ (I've been thinking about Jollof Rice since this aired in 2018!)

OK, enjoy! Putting this together has gotten way too interesting and I'm heading back down the rabbit hole!

Edited by Ms Lark
Accidentally posted too soon.
  • Useful 12
  • Love 5

Abishola's mother is certainly quite a character--and I mean that in sense of a role in a show, not in the sense of a knee-slapping "oh, what a character she is!"  She is over the top, and probably exaggerated because this is a sitcom, and I think the actress is having a blast.  What I like about her being there is how we can see the relationship between her and Abishola overlaying the relationship between Abishola and Dele.  I think we're beginning to see some dawning realization with Abishola that she is risking having the same future relationship with Dele that she currently has with her mother, and I don't think she wants that.  She just doesn't know how to change that, since the only way she knows how to parent is how her mother parented her.  I think Bob clearly sees that, and is trying in his own loving way to prevent that from happening.  He's just learned he has to go in obliquely in order to not get shut down immediately.  And he's right, Dele is his step-son, Bob loves him, and he's got a right to be a step-dad to him.

• Useful 3
  • Love 13

Abishola and her mother are too much for me.  Maybe it's the mood I'm in but I'm really tired of their schtick and don't find it funny anymore.  One thing this episode established is where Abishola and her mother are alike.  What absolute killjoys they are.  Bob puts up with a lot.  Are we supposed to see how he deals with them as funny and endearing?  Because I'm not.

Abishola should have been thrilled that her son would spend the money on cooking for the family but as usual she finds a way to ruin it.  I'm so glad that Kemi made it clear that the way she is is not a Nigerian thing, but an Abishola thing.  Would it be too much to ask the show writers to let Bob find his voice and help her to see how destructive she's being?  And please, can they lose her mother too while they're at it?  Or at least take her down a few notches.  I still love Tunde, Abishola's aunt and Dele.  It's just Abishola and her mother that need to change.

I absolutely loved it that Dele was cooking Nigerian food.  His experience there is a rare opportunity and I'm actually glad now that he's taking advantage of it.  But I do hope the show brings him back to Detroit permanently eventually.

• Love 11

I hope that Abishola is getting a look into her future if she keeps her relationship with Dele so strict. Does she want a relationship where her kid, even as an adult, cringes every time she enters a room? I am really glad that Dele is back for awhile, he adds a lot of energy to the show and I am really glad that they explored his relationship with Bob. Its something I have been wanting since the wedding, Bob's his step dad now, and while Abishola is his mom and he lives with his dad, Bob is a part of his life now too. I thought them playing video games together and that being "their thing" was really cute. 

"It was simple...like my cable plan used to be." Oh Tunde, you basic. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
18 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I'm so glad that Kemi made it clear that the way she is is not a Nigerian thing, but an Abishola thing. 

Kemi mouthing/signaling that to Gloria when Abishola's back was turned was my favorite scene in the episode.  I love Kemi's character!  😂

• Love 12
On 1/5/2022 at 6:50 PM, DoYouLikeMutton said:

Kemi mouthing/signaling that to Gloria when Abishola's back was turned was my favorite scene in the episode.  I love Kemi's character!  😂

Kemi has settled down, and I find her funnier now. A little of her goes a long way, and in the beginning, they used her a lot. She's better as a supporting character, not the main focus.

1 hour ago, chediavolo said:

Once again.  Abishola is bitchy & I don’t know what Bob sees in  her. 

Maybe he likes dominant, bitchy women. Look at Dottie. 

I laughed out loud several times throughout the episode. I love Bob and Tunde's friendship, and Bob's relationship with Dele.

Tunde's under-the-breath comments about Abishola's mother were hilarious. 

• Love 7